a voice for men announcements harassment men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA paul elam

Program Note: ABC’s 20/20 story on the manosphere will run this Friday

A Voice for Men's Paul ELam: Not ready for his closeup
A Voice for Men’s Paul Elam: Not ready for his closeup

It’s here at last! After numerous delays, the 20/20 story looking at the manosphere — and the part it plays in the online harassment of women — will be running on ABC this Friday, October 18, at 10 PM EST. Among the featured participants: the always charming Paul Elam of A Voice for Men; Anita Sarkeesian, the much-harassed feminist video game critic; and Jaclyn Friedman, the ass-kicking founder of Women, Action & the Media.

Here’s a teaser story on the ABC website which suggests that the 20/20 piece isn’t exactly going to be a triumphant moment in the history of the Men’s Rights Movement.

Naturally, the comments section over there is already filled with A Voice for Menners crying foul and spouting nonsense.

EDIT: And stop by here Friday to live chat during the show! (Well, live comment, anyway.)

goodrumo

Reblogged this on iheariseeilearn.

bodycrimes

Please, please, please gods of television, make this play on my computer in Europe. I don’t want to miss out!!

Howard Bannister

I’m bummed that I’ll be in a budget meeting and so won’t be able to watch this until after the fact.

Weston Renoud

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry when Paul Elam states the obvious and completely misses the subtext.

“There has been a change in the world, especially in the last 50 years. Women’s roles have changed drastically,” he told “20/20.” “What a lot of us in this area find is that men’s roles have not changed very much. Many find now that they have to react.”

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Mildly magnificent, I’m hoping they show just how nasty elam and the script overseas is too. It shouldn’t be hard given what’s plastered all over their sites.

pecunium

If I am watching television, I shall give this the attention it deserves: i.e. will be watching the Dodgers play the Cardinals. I can see this later, on my computer.

Weston Renoud

Why is it that when unsavoury things are reported about the internet they’re described as being “Deep in the underbelly of the Internet”?

Do youtube comments count as “a hidden corner known as the ‘Manosphere'”? Because this shit is not isolated to some dark corner.

Cthulhu's Intern

So wait, are they going to put Paul Elam, Anita Sarkeesian, and Jaclyn Friedman in the same room, or will they speak separately?

Cthulhu's Intern

Why is it that when unsavoury things are reported about the internet they’re described as being “Deep in the underbelly of the internet?”

Probably to draw viewers in to make it sound more interesting. But yeah, I agree with you, the darknet or Tor network would probably fit that description better.

Cthulhu's Intern

Also, will this be streamed since I don’t have a TV?

ostara321
ostara321

@Weston, I know, right? Reddit isn’t exactly obscure either. Although, I have long considered Youtube and Reddit to be the armpits of the internet. MRA blogs are much more obscure and filled with garbage nightmare content. So when I think of it that way, calling the Manosphere the “underbelly of the internet” is almost a compliment.

ostara321
ostara321

But yeah, Cthulhu’s Intern probably hit the nail on the head. It just sounds more newsworthy to say “deep in the underbelly of the internet” instead of “somewhere in Canada, an angry old hack has discovered this thing called blogging”.

Reminds me of the episode of Parks and Rec where they try to make a campaign ad for Leslie and the guys all try to say “Bobby Newport” in the scariest way they can manage to make it sound more sensational.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KfYYd1Us8&w=560&h=315]

/prays she did the embedding right

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

This is 20/20 we’re talking about. Even if they make them look bad they’ll find a way to make it about how the Internet is Bad, or they’ll pull some “both sides” shit by dredging up some TERFs or something like that. Is John Stossel’s mustache still on that show?

hellkell
hellkell

I think Stossel and his ‘stache have fucked off to Fox where they truly belong.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Aw man, I’m working tomorrow night, I’ll have to catch up on Saturday. Assuming I can stand to see and hear Paul, given that his inert image and writing already turn my stomach. Maybe I’ll make my partner watch it with me.

Joseph M. Ama
Joseph M. Ama

Chances are 20/20 will defend MRA’s and demonize everyone else. 20/20 nearly always takes the wrong side, and will use dishonest editing techniques to do it (like asking a question during an interview, then recording a completely different question in the studio to make them look bad.)

Which is freedom of speech according to the courts.

I’ve seen Sarkeesian’s videos, and I don’t know why people are mad at her (other than she accepted a lot of money to make a certain number of videos over a certain period of time and she didn’t bother to. The people that funded her should be mad but I somehow doubt that the people threatening her gave her one thin dime…)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I think youtube comments count as the “why I occasionally despair for the future of our species” corner of the internet.

cloudiah

Hey, is the Recent Comments widget disabled for anyone else?

melody
melody

I’ll be working at the time in all likelhood, but I’ll try and find it online after the fact.

grumpycatisagirl

Yes, the recent comments widget is disabled for me.

Howard Bannister

Yep. And Disqus just vanished entirely on another site I comment on. (back now!)

I suspect that Disqus may be being buggy. I know this a radical idea, as it’s probably never happened before, but…..

Hana
Hana

I can’t wait for the live chat!

bodycrimes

I hope there are lots of Manosphere women on the show – the Manosphere would cease to operate without the handful of women allies who give them cover.

MrFancyPants
MrFancyPants

I’ve got mixed feelings about this. On the plus side, they’ll probably get exposed for the haters that they are, but on the minus side, they’ll be getting publicity. Nobody is going to stop self-identifying as an MRA upon watching the show, I bet, but furious misogynists who had heretofore never heard of them will rush to join up.

But in the spirit of shining the light of truth into dark corners, I guess overall I’m looking forward to it.

cloudiah

I think not. Over on Reddit, the shieldmaidens of AVfM are pretty mad about it too, because they think their existence proves that there’s no misogyny.

Nitram
Nitram

That dipshit gets to talk to Elizabeth Vargas? No fair! I hope they mention his “smear campaigns”.

damselindetech

It wouldn’t feel right to watch this without popcorn, bon bons, and a goblet of men’s tears.

Lea Tapp

Wow, the comment section on the 20/20 post is full of outraged MRA’s. I popped over and had a hearty laugh at them. I highly recommend it. It’s damn therapeutic.

La Strega

My personal favorite Roosh was also interviewed (according to him, they hammered him for thirty minutes about “rape”). Will he also claim that everything he has ever written was merely “satire?”

Ashley

I have come to understand that AVFM wants to cut ties with being associated with the manosphere. The reason behind that is unknown but it might have something to do with fact that they can’t control their image as well unless they try to make themselves a separate entity. The truth of the matter on that is that it’s probably too late. The episode will likely box them into the same category and the average viewer who goes to google will see too many associations with the manospheres hate speech and just assume AVFM is the manosphere. Even if some do not associate the two as one in the same, most of them will hear what Elam is saying and recognize the hateful undertones towards women that he so poorly tries to disguise through a calm disposition and a presentation of facts. I don’t think he even realizes how transparent he is himself.

hellkell
hellkell

If Elam wants to try and distance himself from the Scrotoverse, he’ll have to say goodbye to Esmay, JtO, and the FeMRAs. He’ll have to find new ass-kissers and flying monkeys along with trying not sound like a frothing asshole–I think that’s just to much heavy lifting for ol’ PaulE.

kittehserf

Pauly’s not going to have any luck trying to dissociate himself from the rest of the Scrotoverse when he’s happy to proclaim himself as one of the leading Men’s Supremacy Rights activists, and while every douchebag troll and his brother squeals about what an important site AVfM is.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

So, am I the only one who finds “scrotoverse” a little cis-centric? Feel free to tell me I’m being too sensitive (for the sake of transparency: I’m cis).

hellkell
hellkell

Emilygoddess: I don’t think so, given their raging transphobia.

La Strega

The one good thing about this upcoming story is that at least my friends will know what I’m talking about when I mutter darkly about the “manosphere.” At this point, I am afraid they worry that I’m just making this shit up.

kittehserf

emilygoddess – no, I don’t think so. These are cis het men who’re obsessed with their genitals and how being a man makes them superior (human) and everyone else subhuman.

Nitram
Nitram

One of the comments in the avfm thread:

“They better not try to use the location of Paul Elam’s residence and his private life as any kind of weapon to invite attacks, threats and harassment of him.”

But it’s completely ok to do EXACTLY THAT to any woman they deem is deserving of such terrorism.

hellkell
hellkell

Kittehs got to what I was I was trying to say.

Alice Sanguinaria

Nitram – Oh the irony. But of course, women aren’t people, right? [/sarcasm]

thenatfantastic

I just assumed ‘scrotoverse’ was using the mild swear ‘scrote’ which, while deriving etymologically from ‘scrotum’ means something different. It’s usually a derogatory word used about a person who has wronged you, often someone who’s younger (“the little scrote tried to nick my phone”).

Howard Bannister

@thenatfantastic–

…um, when a word derives from a body part, then even if you use it in entirely non-bodypart related ways it’s actually deriving all power from the connection to the bodypart.

Generally, I’d say if we meant the Scrotoverse to be a real thing, a real actual non-manosphere thing, then it would be entirely problematic. To describe a group that’s transphobic in the extreme and hates women? …maaaaaybe. Because insofar as the term itself is offensive, it’s accurately describing the group it contains.

But I could be wrong on that.

Argenti Aertheri

Eh, I’m of a split mind on this one, but they did tell LBT that as a trans* man they have nothing to offer him! and feMRAs are always at risk of being booted, so a scrotum does seem a requirement for entry to their clubhouse.

And I think it was this thread? It’s smote. As in “if you aren’t here by the time you get this message, you will have been smote” (ah theatre!)

Smitten is probably valid, but seeing how everyone will think you mean love not a tense of “to smite”, I use smote. (Of course, I also use swum)

Menti
Menti

I am not seeing any comments on the ABC link… Anybody got a url?

thenatfantastic

I wasn’t saying it wasn’t cis-centric, I was saying I hadn’t noticed it because I assumed it was an expansion of regional-specific slang that I’d forgotten was a shortened version of the word for a body part because it’s never used in that context.

tyciol

I kind of wish there was a way of knowing how much of the interview with Elam made it and how much was cut. I think when shows like this interview people they should give them a copy of the full tape. That way if the portion they air on their channel is abbreviated, the person could have a copy of the full thing, and should have the rights to circulate it as they see fit.

Jessay (@jessay)