a voice for men awesome links men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA parody PUA rape culture somegreybloke TROOOLLLL!!

Links of Great Interest

Unknown high school drama club, from Things More Numerous
Unknown high school drama club, from Things More Numerous Than People At MRA Rallies

Today, some  links to awesome stuff of great interest to Man Boobzers.

6 Ways to Fight Trolls Instead of Starving Them

In The Daily Airship, former Man Boobzer Erica Stratton reflects on her experiences fighting trolls in the Man Boobz comments section.

Things More Numerous Than People At MRA Rallies

Inspired by the recent very tiny MRA rally in Toronto, this new Tumblr blog posts pictures of groups of people — and horses, and bees, and other things — that are larger than the group of people that the MRAs managed to attract to their little shindig.

Thunderf00t has decided to talk about rape

Mike Booth, friend of Man Boobz and the guy behind mostly immobile internet cartoon sensation SomeGreyBloke and faux-MRA Dan Cardamon, presents an effective takedown of a recent video by infamous atheist asshole Thunderf00t.

Sex Toy Recycling Dot Com

Ok, this isn’t directly relevant to Man Boobzers, but this Wretched Refuse post on Sex Toy recycling is pretty hilarious.

And finally, I think I have found where Julian, the creepy PUA coach from Real Social Dynamics we looked at yesterday, got most of his ideas about women:

Argenti Aertheri

Fuck the crust! Just melt the cheese before you burn the bread because the cheese isn’t melty enough!

Paraphrasing my brother from yesterday. He’s 25. (Mine? Try not to burn it? I’ll do it before the pan’s that hot. K thanks)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I love hot things, but the chocolate with the peppercorns wasn’t hot (to me), it was just weird and unpleasant. Like someone had encountered salted caramels and thought “I can and will one-up that!”.

kittehserf

Can you turn autocorrect off, Argenti? It’s more like automakethishardtoread! O_o

hellkell
hellkell

I’ve had chocolate with black peppercorns, I wasn’t a fan. Chocolate with sea salt? LOVE.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Also, why pink peppercorns? I think the thought process was a. pretty (it was in white chocolate) and b. fancy.

What they forgot is that chocolate is supposed to be c. tasty.

Fi
Fi

Ooh ooh ooh the other thing about “Boy” I just thought of is that MRAs would totally hate it. It’s all about a young guy who has always worshipped his absentee father but when Dad comes back into his life he slowly comes to realise that he’s the ultimate egg. Obvs feminist propaganda.

hellkell
hellkell

The peppercorn chocolate had a bizarre texture, it was like they managed to make chocolate feel like soggy cardboard in your mouth.

kittehserf

My reaction to seeing “salted” and “caramel” in the same sentence for the first time (thank you Starbucks) was EWWW NO WHO HAD THAT IDEA? I didn’t know it was a thing at the time.

kittehserf

Cassandra – I never get the point of white chocolate at all. Okay, it’s a white sweet, but chocolate? Gimme cocoa!

Oh man, chili chocolate is dope.

White chocolate is just mild and smooth, though, so putting spicy things in it will just overwhelm it. You need nice mild complementary flavors, like raspberry, Oreo cookies, or vanilla beans.

Fi
Fi

Ha ha, salty/peppery chocolate and the avocado smoothie in the other thread reminds me of peanut butter. I was an adult before I realised that American peanut butter is sweet! Then the fucking peanut butter manufacturers started going all American-style and lots of people like me were all EW WTF!? Cultural food differences can be amusing to simple-minded folk such as myself.

hellkell
hellkell

Salted caramel is divine.

kittehserf

Chocolate.

Plain, unadorned, Spanish sipping chocolate.

(with apologies to Sir for it being Spanish and not French)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Starbucks was giving out salted caramel mocha samples and they weren’t bad, though a bit sweet for me. The pumpkin latte samples, otoh, were awful. I like pumpkin, just not with coffee.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Backing up katz here; chili chocolate it AMAAAAZINGGGG <3 Peppercorns of any color would be weird, though, I think. It's a totally different chemical/taste.

Anyways, this reminds me that I need to attempt to recreate this delicious hot chocolate I got in Italy once; it had chili in it and was so thick it was almost like pudding. SO. GOOD.

Salted caramel is great! But it doesn’t really go with a mocha, IMO. It needs to be the dominant flavor in whatever it’s in and goes best with things on the sweet-savory divide, like pretzels.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

What they did was make the drink so that you couldn’t taste the coffee at all, it just tasted like over-sweetened salted caramel.

Could be OK; Starbucks does seem on a crusade to create the least coffee-like coffee beverage ever. But I’d rather dispense with the coffee and chocolate altogether and just make it a salted caramel steamed milk.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

It was so much better than the pumpkin drink, though. That one was about as WTF as the white chocolate with the peppercorns.

saintnick86

Dammit, you’re all making me hungry!

…Not that that’s a bad thing at all… 😀

kittehserf

pumpkin latte

pumpkin latte

pumpkin latte

Brain bleach, I need brain bleach!

adelady
adelady

Daughter#2 once worked in a cafe here that had chocolate in every item on the menu. Basically meant that every meat dish was a Mexican / Latin American recipe, but it worked pretty well overall. Often you couldn’t even taste it as chocolate, it just enriched the other flavours. But you could certainly taste it in the desserts and the drinks.

Sugar in peanut butter??!!? Finally, at last, I understand all those mysterious references to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Though I should have guessed. Everyone I know who talks about American food mentions how hard it is to adjust to everything being so over-sweetened. (Got stepped on very smartly once when I mentioned that a hamburger bun was a bit sweet for my taste. “You should try the %!*&!# ones they give you in the US – they’re horrible”, they cry.)

marinerachel
marinerachel

Ooooooh, it’s that time of year I can start baking with pumpkin again!

You can bake with pumpkin any time of the year.

kittehserf

Same here! I’ve always thought peanut butter has a slightly sweet tinge, which is why I don’t like it much (I like my sweet and salt/savoury to be separate). I never could fathom the idea of eating it with jam, though; it seemed hurl-worthy. But yeah, if it’s got sugar in …

Oddly enough, the mayo I had in the US was saltier and more edible than the gah-sweet stuff that gets served here. Go figure.

SittieKitty

pumpkin muffins. so delicious. (or spice muffins for my uncle who “doesn’t like pumpkin”, he’ll take a dozen if we call them spice muffins)

cloudiah

I love a good PB&J, but I use unsweetened PB and low sugar strawberry jam on wheat toast. One of my favorite breakfasts.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Eh, I buy unsalted, unsweetened peanut butter, and I still eat it with jam. Also eaten in sandwiches with said peanut butter: banana slices and honey!

My sister eats the sweetened stuff by the literal spoonful, though. She texted me the other day to inform me of the sheer amount of peanut butter in her apartment. (It was OVER 11 POUNDS, btw.)

LBT
LBT

RE: katz

Haha, I thought you were talking about Facebook.

They WEREN’T?

And yeah, things are WAY oversweetened here, unless you shell out. Played havoc when I really got ED-y, because ANY sweetness would trigger a complete freak out, so I pretty much would only eat vegetables and some grains, and freak out even harder if I ate “too much” of the grains. It was pretty unpleasant.

However, my friend gave me some of the awesome non-sweetened, peanuts-only peanut butter for me to take on my trip! 😀 I have the best friends.

baroncognito

avocado: Unreasonable. Avocado is awesome.
broccoli: I can see this. In a wrap, I wouldn’t object, but a sandwich? No.
spinach: Unreasonable. It’d be especially good with dried cranberries or blueberries.
mushrooms: Even better than avocado.
sprouts: I can understand this. There are sandwiches they work with though.
cauliflower: Totally reasonable. Downright advisable.
raw tomatoes: Unreasonable.
peas: Depends on the peas. I’d take sweet peas with a spinach and cranberries.
kale: In a sandwich? Hmmm
blueberries, raisins, and olives: This sounds like a chutney. Could be good.

I’d totally make 300 sandwiches for someone before I married her. And then I’d probably make more. Sandwiches are awesome.

Anyone want to eat grilled cheese and watch The Adventures of Pete & Pete?

Howard Bannister

…chocolate with peppers! I only discovered that recently, and OMG, sooooooo good. The best!

Athywren
Athywren

But it’s antediluvian. Ante. Before the flood, not opposed to the flood. Bah!

leftwingfox

Mmm, might try roasting a pumpkin again for pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting.

Last time I did it I got almost a LOT of pumpkin puree. I just need t be ready to do a lot of baking at once once it’s done.

leftwingfox

“almost a LOT?” I need an editor.

I couldn’t remember how much I got. It was somewhere between a litre and a gallon.

Falconer

An alot of pumpkin puree, on the other hand, would be kind of gooey.

leftwingfox

Would that be a Jack’alot?

SittieKitty

Do you like pumpkin muffins leftwingfox? I have a great recipe.

leftwingfox

Do you like pumpkin muffins leftwingfox? I have a great recipe.

Yes, and yes PLEASE. 😀

pecunium

re the list his dislikes. It’s what it is. I have things (apart from mango) which I don’t care for.

I also like lots of foods people are afraid of. We, as a culture, take as commonplace things which other cultures won’t touch (I don’t know about now, but I know Chinese people who were aghast to discover Americans eat potatoes… they saw it as food only fit for pigs, Lots of people in Japan won’t go near cheese).

He doesn’t like spinach, ok. He has a laundry list of things, and is a picky eater. It’s ok.

Telling someone they are being unreasonable because you like things they don’t, is bullshit.

I happen to think one of the most abusive phrases in the culture is, “Oh, you’ve just never had, ‘x’ done right/good ‘x'”. Sorry. There is no “done right” for cooked spinach. There is no, “good” tequila. I can see that some tequilas are “better” than others. They still taste like lighter-fluid and piss. You can’t make that tasty to me. I don’t care how rarefied the source is, how carefully chosen the blue agave hearts were, how precisely the delicate fire of mesquite and creosote bush was maintained, nor the selection process for the mix of american and french oak for the casks which were so tenderely laid down in the hollowed out side of the southwestern slopes of a volcanic cinder-cone.

That just makes it a greater waste when you give it to me, because it’s still gonna taste like lighter-fluid and piss (why yes, having been a youth when the cult of tequila was taking root, I’ve had more than a few people press me to try, “the good stuff”).

In matters of taste there can be no dispute. There are other abusive overtones to this “project” but his saying, “I don’t like these foods” isn’t one of them.

/rant

Howard Bannister

@Pecunium

Awesome rant.

Athywren
Athywren

TW I don’t actually know if this needs a trigger warning or not? Maybe rape? Is there a link somewhere that helps you figure out when you need TWs?

Thunderf00t exemplifies what’s happened to roughly half of the Internet Atheists: he’s convinced himself that he’s the smartest, most rational being around because he’s made a hobby out of refuting the most foolish and inane ideas out there, like creationism, and is now proceeding on the assumption that the mediocre level of thought needed to see through creationism is sufficient to tear down anything that does not happen to match his unchallenged predispositions.

Funny… first thing I said to the guy who first brought this to my attention – he shared a link of thunderf33t arguing that the first rule of war is divide and conquer, before going on to defend the maintenance of our divided state – was, “but we’re supposed to be the rational ones. Surely we’re better than this?” Oddly enough, he didn’t continue the conversation with me once he realised I was baffled by the anti-feminist rhetoric of thunderf00t et al rather than enraged by the pro-feminist rhetoric from the villainous PZ & co.
I think the problem is that they consider skepticism and rationality to be core to their being, rather than the tools they use to stop the core of their being from reaching ridiculous conclusions. It’s an overused cliche, overused especially by pseudoscientists, making it hard to use without falling prey to the negative connotations that have been infused into it, but we should be skeptical of our own skepticism before anything else. Using skepticism doesn’t mean we’re rational – we use it because we are so irrational, to guard against our own mistakes.
They completely misunderstand the point of skepticism, which is why they are failing so badly at it now that their assumptions about what is true are rubbing up against the walls of what actually is true, and are making truth’s nose light up with the buzzer going “BNAAAAARP!”
As Randal Munroe didn’t say, but almost did; “You don’t use [skepticism] to show that you’re right, you use [skepticism] to become right.” Even if that means turning away from the results you wanted.
Of course, having said all of this, more than enough atheists are skeptics at all. I once had a fellow atheist argue that I’m not a real atheist because I’m unwilling to say that I absolutely believe that the universe is devoid of gods – to him, an atheist is someone who knows that there is no god, which is a hilariously arrogant and irrational position to hold… presumably, this is why so many anti-atheist theists like to hold us to that definition.

He compared it to when a dude “finishes” after she told him to stop, saying that that wasn’t rape that was just “bad sex” he even had a chart with a literally blurred line separating rape from “bad sex”. Somegreybloke pointed out how that was obviously rape, no grey areas.

So, by “finishes” he means “keeps going until he’s done,” I guess? So, yeah, wow. Fuck you, oh he of the thunderous f33t, that’s absolutely rape. It wasn’t rape before she said to stop, at least, assuming it was consensual up to then, and there’s maybe an argument for a second’s grace while she’s saying stop, but afterwards it definitely is. It’s like when you’ve invited Salesman X into your house and he’s trying to sell you Wow-max brand doodads. He’s not trespassing, because you invited him in, but if you decide you don’t want to buy his Wow-max Dealietron9000 and ask him to leave, and he refuses to leave until you’ve bought the Dealietron 9000, then he’s trespassing, and you’re within your rights to kick him the fuck out of your home or call the fuzz and get them to do it for you because his license to operate within the bounds of your home has been revoked. Forget lego, may you step on your precious toy aeroplanes… and may any gods out there have mercy on me for invoking such a cruel curse. Forgive me, toy aeroplanes, forgive me.

WOw. O_o I am really starting to loathe thunderfoot. GAh. And that’s a little time for a lot of loathing to build, since I only heard about him 10 minutes ago.

Heh, you think you’ve got it bad? I heard about him… possibly 10 years ago (Holy fuck!? Time keeps freaking me out… am I an adult now? oO) his youtube account was one of my daily checked links, he was like a hero to me… although not since the whole “ground zero mosque” freakout era. He lost me when “science and reason for the win” was overruled by “xenophobia and privilege for the win.” It’s as if Batman took his cowl off one day, and it turns out that it was the Joker underneath all along! Blargh. On the plus side, I don’t put people on pedestals anymore, so there’s that.

Athywren
Athywren

I happen to think one of the most abusive phrases in the culture is, “Oh, you’ve just never had, ‘x’ done right/good ‘x’”. Sorry. There is no “done right” for cooked spinach.

Whaaaaat?
No “done right” for cooked spinach? Well, I get the point, cooked spinach is slimy and wrong to my taste. Spinach done right is washed and put on the plate. YUM. Maybe chopped a little, if you’re putting it in with pasta or rice or something, and you want it to be more available for combined forkfuls but just the leaves as they come (after washing) are delicious.

titianblue
titianblue

You are so wrong – had fantastic cooked spinach last year – blanched & with butter & nutmeg added. It was lush – and that’s not something I’d ever though I’d say about spinach.

pecunium

Athywren: If you add head to spinach (or some of the other oxalic acid rich leafy greeens), I can’t eat them. It’s not possible to do so much as wilt them over a burger, shred them over warm rice, and have me not retch.

And I’m fine with that. I’m also fine with people who tell me they don’t want any chili-peppers in their food (or the housemate who didn’t like black pepper). Taste is a very personal thing.

Some people like raw eggs.

pecunium

Er… heat… add heat to spinach.

SittieKitty

Best Pumpkin Muffins

3 eggs
3 c flour
2 c wh sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 c veg oil
1/2 c sour milk or buttermilk
2 tsp b powder
14 oz can Pumpkin puree
2 tsp b soda
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cloves

Beat eggs lightly. Add sugar, oil, pumpkin. Beat thoroughly. Add dry ingredients, alternately with milk (or buttermilk). Fill greased muffin tins (or muffin tins with paper cups in them) 2/3 full. Sprinkle a mix of brown sugar and cinnamon on each and bake at 350. 15-20 mins (makes 24-28).

So good. I should make some… I’m sure I have pumpkin around somewhere.

leftwingfox

Added to my notes; thanks so much SittieKitty!

Re cooked spinach, that was actually one of the few veggies I actually would eat as a kid, but only in “burgers florentine”, which were hamburger patties sandwiched around a cottage cheese, parsley and cooked spinach filling, then braised in a red-wine tomato and green pepper sauce. Mmmmmm.

Falconer

Some people like raw eggs.

The mere mention of raw eggs has become unavoidably linked in my mind to The Rocky Horror Picture Show so that any time raw eggs are mentioned, my mind belts out IN JUST SEVEN DAYS!

Oddly enough it doesn’t do anything when I cook with eggs.

Howard Bannister

See, for me, the food that just doesn’t no doesn’t ever no stop it stop asking no I haven’t changed thanks STOP is onions.

Yes, just onions.

Lots of foods I used to dislike I’ve started to like, or at least stopped loathing. Beets taste a lot better to me now. Once I hated hot foods. Lots of things really do get better the more you’re exposed to them.

Some things… don’t.

But I never really twigged to how awful and terrible our insistence of JUST TRY was until I heard it applied over and over again to my autistic nephews.

Now I start stewing anytime somebody starts with. No, punishing them for not enjoying something is not okay. Why would it be?