a voice for men creepy edmonton FemRAs GirlWritesWhat men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA patriarchy rape culture rape jokes that's not funny! trigger warning TyphonBlue

Nick Reading of Men’s Rights Edmonton: “If they didn’t scream [no], how else would I get an erection?”

Nick Reading: Men's Rights rape joker
Nick Reading: Men’s Rights rape joker

So a helpful Twitterer told me that I was a frequent topic of conversation on A Voice for Men’s Honey Badger “radio” show last night — that’s the one hosted by Karen Straughan (Girl Writes What) and Alison Tieman (Typhon Blue) and a newer addition to AVFM’s FeMRA stable named Della Burton. Bored, I went over to take a listen to the archived show. Well, bits and pieces of it, anyway. Life is short, and every minute of this show felt about an hour long.

Anyway, I missed most of whatever it was they said about me, but I did manage to force myself to sit through a good chunk of the segment featuring none other than Nick Reading, the guy who’s running a joke campaign for city council of Edmonton Alberta as the “Patriarchy Party” candidate.  You know, the dude we talked about just yesterday.

The gals did their best to play along with his over-the-top patriarchal schtick, proclaiming themselves submissive inferior females unworthy of his manly phallus, and so on. It was as gratingly unfunny as you might imagine, and it went on and on. Even the Honey Badgers, perhaps wondering if this whole segment wasn’t a rather apt metaphor for their own role within A Voice for Men and the Men’s Rights movement at large, couldn’t quite bring themselves to laugh at any of Nick’s, er, humor.

At least not until, about 49 minutes into the show, he brought out the rape jokes.

Take a listen:

Paul “The Thought of Fucking Your Shit Up Gives Me an Erection” Elam, meet Nick “If They Didn’t Scream No, How Else Would I Get an Erection” Reading.

In case you weren’t able to make all that out, due to the clear-as-mud sound engineering job of AVFM’s James Huff — you may remember him as the guy responsible for this amazing rant — I have transcribed the exchange below as best I could, cutting out a few repeated phrases and ignoring some remarks that got buried under other remarks.

Nick Reading: No never means no. It only means yes. That’s an understanding that we have within the patriarchy.

Karen Straughan: It is.

Alison Tieman: That’s true. Actually “no” should be stricken from the English language because it simply makes no sense. How could any woman ever say no to the holy phallus unless she was criminally insane?

Nick: Criminally insane, yes.

Della Burton [?]: Criminally, yes.

Karen: But, but we shouldn’t strike “no” from all the dictionaries and the lexicons of language simply because there are numerous times in the course of a day when a man loves to say “no” to a woman.

Nick: I would almost insist on striking it from the non-male vernacular but if they didn’t scream it, how else would I get an erection?

[Awkward pause]

[Laughter]

Della [?]: Oh my goodness.

Karen: Right, you’re right.

Della: I hadn’t even thought of that.

Karen: So no is still in.

A Voice for Men: Promoting Human Rights, One Rape Joke at a Time

EDITED TO ADD:  Below, a video on YouTube about this episode of Honey Badger radio, which not only looks at the show itself but at what was going on in the official chatroom for the show at the time, which turns out to be even creepier than the stuff said by Nick Reading on the show itself.

Along with the standard MRA misogyny from some of AVFM’s regulars, there were bizarre sexualized comments directed at the so-called Honey Badgers themselves: one commenter went on at length about how he wanted to use Karen Straughan’s breast milk in his coffee (and spike her coffee with his semen). Palani provides screenshots and everything. Some of her commentary is a bit problematic — she refers to them as “retards” at one point — but if you’ve got 15 minutes it’s worth a watch.

[VIDEO REMOVED BY REQUEST OF VIDEOMAKER]

I think most war movies have anti-war themes; in the WWII-to-Vietnam era we probably had more of a heroic theme, but both earlier and later cinema was influenced by wars that sucked and clearly had no redeeming values. Even something like War Horse, which is highly romanticized in some ways, also has a shitton of scenes like this that are bad stuff happening to people (and horses).

pecunium

The only thing I feel like saying at the moment is, I have a very mixed feeling about war movies, and the one’s I like are often graphic, and what I take away from them (and want to see) is probably quite different from what most want to see/take away from them.

And yeah, most of war (even WW1) is tedium, and grunt work.

But the parts that aren’t, really aren’t.

markb
markb

Louis CK also did a joke about going back in time and raping Hitler. As opposed to killing him. I think it was intended to be unsettling.

Alice
Alice

WTF is with the MRA/PUA crowd thinking that freedom of speech consists mainly of calling women c*nts on twitter, making rape jokes, or using the n word without facing any public humiliation or professional repercussions for it? Do you REALLY this puerile level of trolling is what Thomas Jefferson had in mind when he wrote the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

pecunium

Paul Gross (Slings and Arrows, Due South) directed a WW1 film. It’s called Passchendael. The ending was a bit over the top, but the middle bits were out-fucking-standing.

The big exception is airplane movies. I have never seen a fighter-plane movie that didn’t romanticize war. Because airplanes are cool.

pecunium

The series, “Piece of Cake” doesn’t. Not a movie, and done by the BBC. Based on a great novel.

pecunium

Sorry, I should have been less emphatic. I didn’t find it so.

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

I watched a few war movies. They tend to be about the Spanish Civil War.

WRT The Train: Looking forward to The Monuments Men? The book was well-researched by not that well written, so I have high hopes.

cloudiah

No, Kristina Hansen is TheWoolyBumblebee. Erin Pizzey is a woman who started one of the earliest DV shelters in England, who also holds very traditional ideas of masculinity and femininity, and argues that domestive violence is completely reciprocal.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

I have to go pack, now.

cloudiah

No it was a women’s shelter, she just came to think that these women wanted the violence on some level and so therefore they would provoke it.

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — first, you have no idea how often you make me want to hug you do you? And I realize that’s not what you were going for there, at all, but yeah. Second, put one one the next time I’m there, I’m game (I can read EMS manuals with pictures of what hay balers do to arms while eating, don’t worry about the gore factor)

Third, is iOS 7’s autocorrect giving you hell about contractions? Like “that’s not” became “that’ snot”

Cassandra, Nat — I will take your suggestions under advisement, my mac is still focused on VtM:B!

Argenti Aertheri

*one on

I am not liking this upgrade to autocorrect.

Falconer

In the interests of full disclosure, some of my all-time favorite video games are historic air war flight sims like Red Baron, European Air War and Il-2 Shturmovik, and I think war is awful and frightening and I didn’t want us in Iraq or Afghanistan to begin with.

So Imma bow out of the Futility of War discussion as a big ol’ hypocrite.

Apropos of nothing, the spellcheck on my Firefox thinks Shturmovik is supposed to be Moisturizer or Turmoil.

Ally S

OT, but I just found one of the shittiest defenses of the “male disposability” idea ever: http://siryouarebeingmocked.tumblr.com/post/60228846405/an-anthropologist-on-girlwriteswhat-and-male

SittieKitty

Blackadder 4 is so good. And I’ve heard really good things about the grave of the fireflies, but I haven’t gotten up the gumption/emotional ambition to watch it yet.

That SRS Fartistry contest had some great submissions.

SittieKitty

That’s pretty on topic Ally, the original post that person is referring to has been linked earlier in the thread.

Ally S

He quotes a verse from the Bible in which women are compared to rubies in regards to value, yet ignores the verses that relegate the status of women to chattel.* WTF?

*I know not all interpretations of the Bible are sexist, but if he’s going to pull out quotes from the Bible that way to prove his point, I can, too.

Argenti Aertheri

Falconer — I actually really like the original Bloodrayne. The whole slaughting Nazis thing. I get real weird about the ones cowering in corners though, if I can get them to run, I will; if it’s the daemite mines and they won’t flee, I drain them dry as a mercy killing.

Pretty much the only KILL ALL THE THINGS game that I’ll play, and it’s a dhamper with blades killing (zombie ish sometimes) Nazis…somehow slaughtering Nazis appeases my “no, killing is wrong”.

VtM:B…you play it at all yet? Figuring out how combat heavy you can go versus how diplomat? (Hell, leave the apartment and gain a humanity point for giving a bum a buck?) I kee trying to play a low human try character to see the dialog options and being unable to take to courses of action that would get me there. I am not okay with collateral damage.

Even in video games.

Rayne…it’s the moves and those blades that get me. Fell for that watching my brother play it.

Actual war though? My thoughts on our (US) mess are long and complex, but sum to fuck this shit.

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium, when you answer that catholism quesiton, can you keep it short? Cuz I wantchecanswer (wtf autocorrect? I want the answer) but not That Discussion. Thanks 🙂

yaoi huntress earth
yaoi huntress earth

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who gets sick of hearing shock-whores who go into a fit because you didn’t find their “edgy” stuff amusing. Just because someone says they thought it was offensive, doesn’t mean they want to take away your right to free speech, too stupid to get it or are meanie PC-Nazis.

sarahlizhousespouse

*Waves to Nick86*
Hullo!

pecunium

The “rebuttal” is a soup sandwich. It starts with a misrepresntational conflation of privilege and class, and goes downhill (admitting to a tu quoque, claiming lots of MRA are non-heteronormative, non The bit about Mary… incoherent. It’s a non-sequitor.

Do Catholics, “elevate her about her place in Scripture”? Maybe, but he’s begging the question. In the statement he implies there is a some orthodox “level” for Mary. It ain’t so. What is in the Gospels (and Acts) is an obvious level of respect for Mary on the part of both Jesus and the Apostles.

If Catholic Tradition keeps that she had a greater role than the text can be used to “prove” then so be it. Talmud has lots of that too. Since the texts are imperfect (and incomplete, and chosen from a larger body held to be apocryphal) his imputation of some absolute role for Mary (or anyone) in them, is to arrogate himself to a position more authoritative then the Pope (who at least has some internally consistent arguments for how he might be infallible on some matters, in some circumstances).

This yahoo is a moron.

pecunium

Argenti: Did that meet your needs?

Argenti Aertheri

Perfectly my dear, can I interest you in a pepperidge farms captiva before I eat the whole package?

I’ll pass on any soup sandwiches though, I do live with two of them after all!

dustydeste
dustydeste

If I can add to pecunium’s bit on the role of Mary in Catholic tradition, it’s definitely a thing that a lot of non-Catholics see Catholicism as idolatrous in the veneration of saints (including the veneration of Mary, who is probably the most-venerated of all saints, what with her being the Mother of God and also without sin and one of the few people who was corporeally transported to heaven instead of going solely in spirit after death), which is seen as worshiping entities other than God/the Holy Trinity, whereas Catholics differentiate between worship and veneration, the latter being more like asking someone super-holy to pray for you also (kind of like a super-powered prayer group).

But it’s a pretty misogynistic thing to complain about the veneration of Mary and leave out whining about the veneration of all the other saints, too, imho.

[/deste’s unasked for commentary]

SittieKitty

shock-whores

we can leave the gendered slurs out…

Athywren
Athywren

It said something about Jesus defending the prostitute, and Madonna being >>> Jesus in Catholicism(idk if this is true).

See, the thing with Madonna is that we’re living in a material world, right? And she is a material girl. Plus she has more record sales than Jesus.

somehow slaughtering Nazis appeases my “no, killing is wrong”.

I only get that with Tzimisce… ‘swhy I generally prefer games like Deus Ex where wholesale slaughter is only one option – the other main option being no slaughter at all, with a handy gradient between the two. That’s one of the things that really disappointed me about the last Splinter Cell game – there was no non-lethal method of dealing with people other than just avoiding them.

rant about how they don’t take feminism seriously anymore

Has anyone else noticed that the people who no longer take feminism seriously always tend to have no understanding of feminism? It’s almost as if they never even took it seriously enough to find out what it was. Funny how that works.

Ally S

I generally prefer games like Deus Ex

Suuuuuuuuuure you do.

(Sorry, I’m pretty much in love with that game.)

Ally S

Hope I didn’t sound like a jerk in the process of making that in-joke. >_<

lionicle

@Feminist Bees I’d be interested in reading that, got a link?

Podcasts are wonderful so long as you have a job that requires a lot of action and not writing. Like if you paint, make things, clean, cook, do construction, work out, drive a lot, etc. I rarely just sit there and listen, I’m almost always doing something else that I would otherwise have music on during.

Oh my god, that actually was a really good joke by Dane Cook. I didn’t know he still had good jokes.

@freemage The joke you were talking about was already brought up but this is another good one

(albeist language fyi)

@auggziliary I think AHX was a great movie that was unfortunately misinterpreted by a lot of racist pieces of shit. My douchebag little brother who is the actual cause of crime in our community, along with his other white friends, are apparently super racist and constantly throw out this idea that black people are criminals. I’m like YOU STEAL FROM YOUR OWN MOTHER WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TALK LIKE THAT? Anyways, one day when I was creeping his friend’s fb profiles just to see what the kids were all about, I saw that one of them used the still with Edward Furlong blowing smoke into the other kid’s face, and the kid captioned it with something about not mixing races. I was appalled of course, but then laughed because some friend of his wrote below, “Uhhh, I don’t think you understood the point of that movie.” My brother and his friends are constantly getting dogged by people on their fb’s and they don’t understand why. It’s sad but amusing at the same time.

FYI, The director of American History X did a doc on abortion which was pretty graphic and was technically supposed to be unbiased, but it seemed clear that he was pro-choice IMO. The only people he really interviewed for the pro-life side were over the top, religious zealots, whereas he interviewed well respected philosophers for the pro-choice side. I’m not trying to excuse the pro-life side, but I know plenty of pro-lifers who are at least somewhat moderate and rational sounding, even if their arguments aren’t sound. It was pretty interesting overall but tough to watch in some spots.

(tw: graphic imagery, a photo of a man who was shot)

Argenti Aertheri

Oh gods pro-life ARGH! Long story short my mother’s boss said something about “D and E”, to which I went “tell me that in this context that doesn’t mean what I think it does” (diagnostic and estimate), she goes “huh?”, I say like a D&C but extraction and SUDDENLY IT’S ALL PARTIAL BIRTH ABORTION!

Like, I might as well have been banging my head on a wall trying to explain that you cannot get an abortion because you want one when 8 months pregnant. That is not a thing that is legal. And then it was all how you’re already delivering the kid why not just do it? And I try explaining how the skull is the hardest part to get out, which she should know as (slightly graphic) she had forceps shoved inside her to get mine unstuck. Side track to how she was sore for weeks, I decide not to press my luck because HOLY SHIT YOU CAN NOT GET A “PARTIAL BIRTH ABORTION” CUZ YOU’RE SICK OF BEING PREGNANT WHEN NEARLY AT TERM!!

/screaming fit

Athywren — Tzimisce *hisses* You have to be somewhat human to reason with, and they are not.

Argenti Aertheri

…I think I did manage to get across that the idea that it’s “a perfectly viable baby” is Very Fucking Often not the case and why a late term abortion is being performed. At best she’ll just change her wording though, it’ sure less.

FUCK YOU AUTOCORRECT!!

That should be “it’s useless”…which I typed perfectly before it changed to THAT! The fuck is this shit?

myeyestheyburn
myeyestheyburn

Speaking of not being able to get a boner, has David or anyone here run into this gem yet? It was just posted on a feminist network I follow:

Here’s a highlight (TRIGGER WARNING): “Insecurity is the natural state of woman. How could it be anything else? Given their lack of physical strength, a woman on her own should be frightened as hell without men to protect her. If society were to collapse, all the Strong, Independent Women™ who read Jezebel and xoJane would last about five minutes before they either found a man to cling onto or got raped and killed. In the bellum omnium contra omnes that is mankind’s default existence, a woman who is alone is a woman who is already dead.

One of the most commonly repeated tropes of feminists and manboobs goes something like this:

“You should be happy that women nowadays are independent, because it means that they’re with you because they WANT to be with you, not because they’re dependent on you.”

This is a fundamental violation of the relationship between men and women. Part of our identity as men based in women needing us, if not necessarily in a material sense, then in an emotional one, though material and emotional vulnerability often go hand in hand. That female insecurity is a crucial ingredient for unlocking our inner masculine instincts. If a girl needs me, feels that her life would end if she were to lose me, I’m doubly inspired to be there for her, to shield her from the cruelty of the world. Frankly, it’s pretty hot. If she just wants me, could take me or leave me, my gut response is one of apathy. “Yeah, whatever babe.”

Confidence doesn’t give men erections; vulnerability does.”

Ally S

Matt Forney can go fuck himself.

Ally S

This dipshit screams about feminists demonizing male sexuality and then calls men naturally bellicose and rapey. Ok…

Argenti Aertheri

Dude, the fuck? Not financially dependent on you, and not caring whether you go or stay are worlds apart. Obvious thing is obvious — she doesn’t have to need your paycheck to need // want your companionship, sexytimes, and, you know, everything else that goes with a relationship.

Oh, I know. Admitting that “counts” would mean that his desire for her company means he’s vulnerable and we can’t have that!

(“Can’t have” =/= “can’ that’ve”…fuck you autocorrect)

Athywren
Athywren

Hope I didn’t sound like a jerk in the process of making that in-joke. >_<

Such a jerk I spill my drink!

myeyestheyburn
myeyestheyburn

Skin crawling as the whole article is, the part that made me feel ill is the part where he talks about how he dated a girl who was fat in highschool, lost 40 lbs, but was hot because she “still saw the world through the eyes of a fat girl”.

Ally S

Such a jerk I spill my drink!

Hopefully it was just lemon-lime soda.

All right, I’ll stop. >_>

Athywren
Athywren

Confidence doesn’t give men erections; vulnerability does.”

Now, I’m not Captain Testosteronepants over here or anything, but, speaking as a male-bodied human who has had relationships with female-bodied humans… this guy’s full of shit. That’s not a relationship he’s talking about, it’s a power trip. If you’re wanted, then chances are you’ll be on relatively even footing, but if you’re needed, then you have all the power. It’s a bit squicky if you ask me.

Athywren
Athywren

And, yet again, I feel the need to remind these people that they do not speak for me. Especially not on the causes of erections.

Argenti Aertheri

How about a cool breeze? Sunshine?

Now, what I’ve always wanted to not be pondering is when Owly’s genitals were exposed to sunshine. I’m gonna assume bedroom window here cuz EWW.

Argenti Aertheri

>.<

That was a Book of Learnin' joke about the causes of erections. I fail at context.