a voice for men antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? artistry creepy edmonton grandiosity gross incompetence harassment men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA patriarchy rape culture rape jokes TyphonBlue

Meet the Patriarchy Party, the latest bid for media attention from Men’s Rights Edmonton

From the Patriarchy Party's actual pamphlet. I'm not sure there's enough red in it.
From the Patriarchy Party’s actual pamphlet. Yes, the name of the party is almost impossible to read. I don’t think that’s on purpose.

I sometimes say that the only “activism” that the Men’s Rights Movement is any good at is harassing individual women. But perhaps I’m being a bit too stingy here: following on the heels of the Father’s Rights activists who dress up like superheroes and climb up buildings and bridges to show that, well, I’m not sure what they’re trying to show, Men’s Rightsers seem to be developing a knack for poorly conceived media stunts that make them look like idiots.

The latest incredibly poorly conceived Men’s Rights media stunt come from Men’s Rights Edmonton, the A Voice for Men sister brother group famous for, among other things, chasing women down the street in the middle of the night and claiming that the women they chased were the bullies.

Anyway, the loudest and most obnoxious dude in the group, Nick Reading (a.k.a. “Eric Duckman”) has decided to run for Edmonton City Council on — get this! — the Patriarchy Party ticket! Oh no he didn’t!

Oh, yes he did. I suppose that the Patriarchy Party’s supposed platform — including a pledge “to end antiquated laws regarding women’s sexual consent” and provisions to instruct teachers “to snatch things like toy trucks out of the hands of little girls and replace them with dolls or tea sets” — probably inspired a chuckle or two amongst the folks at A Voice for Men, but the trollery here is really too inane to offend.

Whetever, dudes. You can find their badly designed pamphlet, with traced-photo “artwork” presumably by the noted FeMRA artist TyphonBlue, here.

RE: Ally

There, there. Think of it this way. You’re headed to LA to visit cool people and get the fuck out of dodge! Dub… upset people on the Internet? Really, who has more right to be proud right now?

RE: hellkell

Honestly, probably not big, just because there would INVARIABLY be some kind of disaster, and also because we’re skinny enough that I don’t think we could find a big bra. (I used to be a 30D. It was AWFUL.) I might stick with Alice’s rag suggestion, because cotton balls is just ASKING for ejection!

RE: Ally

My perspective is of course ill-informed but they just look so uncomfortable.

I personally HATED them, but I’m apparently one of the weirdoes whose chestmeats hurt less WITHOUT bras. I still get my grandmother asking me whether I regretted having surgery and I’m just, “LOLOL U KIDDING?”

Bina
Bina

I have been abused. I chose to get over that shit.

Somehow, I doubt that very much.

On BOTH counts.

Alice Sanguinaria

Seriously. Bras. I could get a shirt for cheaper than what I’d pay for a bra, it’s ridiculous.

Underwires are so freaking pokey! Ughhhhh!

kittehserf

Rogan, don’t go using that sort of stuffing for your bra, it’s bound to come out at a crucial moment!

Bina
Bina

PS: Damn. Commented without reading rest of thread. Missed one helluva meltdown, I see.

Bina
Bina

Re bra stuffings: Rolled up tube socks work. If you have the ones with terrycloth insides, bonus comfiness.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I actually really like my bras. The pressure on women to wear them is gross, though, and so is the lack of o

Alice Sanguinaria

neuroticbeagle – Is it bad that I read “bra” as “box”? >_>

kittehserf

That one’s no loss, for sure.

Alice Sanguinaria

Viscaria – I don’t hate my bras either, but underwires poke. It’s better than nothing though; support feels good.

TBH though, I don’t see what’s bad about nipples?

Viscaria
Viscaria

…ptions for people with larger chests, who are more likely to use bras for support.

Sorry, clumsy fingers hit buttons they aren’t aiming for.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Alice

TBH though, I don’t see what’s bad about nipples?

Truth

RE: Bina

Somehow, I doubt that very much. On BOTH counts.

Now, now, I’ve met PLENTY of asshole survivors in my time. Just because Dub is an ass and a houseplant and a chucklefuck doesn’t mean he’s lying about this. It just means he’s an ass, a houseplant, a chucklefuck, and an abuse survivor.

RE: Kittehs

That is a chance we must take! That or Mac just goes completely flat and hopes nobody notices. He’s in an odd position where he badly wants to take burlesque classes, but isn’t entirely sure what they’d do with him…

LBT

Also, Christ, I just realized that if Mac’s going to be dragging, he’s going to get one of those lacey contraptions I could never once bring myself to get. It’s going to be so WEIRD to buy something high femme now that the boobs are GONE!

Bina
Bina

Nothing bad about nipples at all.

Feeling like half the world sees no other part of you, on the other hand, really sucks ass.

CassandraSays

The underwires on most of my bras don’t poke. I think it may be a sizing issue? Also an issue of how long your torso is – bras with a high center gore and high sides tend to get pokey on petite bodies (which is why balconette and plunge styles are all I wear).

Alice Sanguinaria

CassandraSays – That’s totally possible. I get the feeling that bras were made for people who are like 5’4″ or 5’6″. I’m 5’2″ and petite.

kittehserf

Rogan, I meant the sort of stuffing in the first pic neuroticbeagle posted. 😀

CassandraSays

I’m the same height and pretty much all full cup bras are too high at the sides and the top of the center gore for me. Maybe try balconettes and plunges. I’ve also found that either British or Japanese brands work better for a shorter torso, since that’s the body type they were designed for. Most American bras feel like they cover way too much of my torso even if they’re technically the right size.

Alice Sanguinaria

I’ve been intending to go buy European bras for a long while, except for the fact that I spent over $200 on bras last time (because my original bras disappeared O_o which meant I needed to replace them). I hate the fact that a bra costs at least $20.

LBT

Yeah, Alice. Trying to find a 30D bra that was less than $50 was absurd; I was wearing tattered old training bras of my mothers, and I kept bottoming out, but bra-shopping was always such a horrible experience for me that I always dreaded going. (All I wanted was something without lace, flowers, pink, or underwire. WHY WAS THIS SO DIFFICULT?)

kittehserf

Twenty bucks is what you’d pay for a singlet (as in tank top) here. Cheap bras are at least thirty bucks unless they’re on sale somewhere like Target or KMart. Better brands are fifty, sixty bucks, and triple that for high-end European brands.

In the meantime, I’ve had a profitable lunch break:

Alice Sanguinaria

LBT – I have a smaller bust size (owwww, 30D, that sounds painful), so I have more choices. But still! I hate the fact that decent bra costs me over $40 for one. WTF?

Dub
Dub

“In retrospect, I realize that “you got what you deserved” was probably not a cool thing to say to an abuse survivor. Dub, I’m sorry I said that to you.”

Upon having let it marinate for awhile, if Ally S did suffer any sort of trauma, I do feel remorseful if I am at fault for any real distress. It does not compute to me, however, that a mere figurative remark could generate the sort of distress of a real threat of rape or violence from someone who would wish that sort of real harm upon women, or anyone else. Nowhere did I ever threaten any real abuse, either.

Dub
Dub

As for the rest of what I said, I make no apologies. If Futrelle considers that abuse, I’d hate to think of his ever encountering the sort of very real violence that women I have known personally have experienced. What a farce on his part.

cloudiah

Wow, I missed quite a meltdown. Hope everyone’s doing okay now.

cloudiah

And Rogan, did I see you have a spare room and everything? Yonkers!

RE: Dub

You have no idea how to actually apologize, do you? Here’s how you do it:

1. State that you have done wrong.
2. Apologize, without quantifiers.
3. Change your behavior.

Instead, you state that you POSSIBLY did wrong (but don’t really believe so), apologize for that hypothetical (which you don’t actually believe), and declare your intention to continue being just as big an asshole as possible. That’s not an apology. That’s just you pretending to apologize while still being a big whopping chucklefuck.

David, didn’t you ban this douchebag?

RE: cloudiah

Yes! We’re staying in a friend’s spare bedroom! I still have to stagger through the holidays, but whatever, we have a room and a nice warm safe place to stay, and privacy!

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

The fuck? I thought asshole got banned?

Well then, I guess that means I can launch into him after all!

“No-one is experiencing PTSD.”

How fucking dare you? You fucking asshole, you’ve just discounted the trauma of anywhere from 10% to 30% of veterans, depending which war(s) they were in, and ~1/3 of rape victims.

People who go through traumatic experience(s) and are affected by them aren’t actually affected by them according to you, because why? Because that’d fuck with your myopic worldview? Because that would mean that rape victims aren’t just “playing a professional victim” or whatever the FUCK you said? Because that’d mean you may actually hurt people and not be the funny guy you think you are?

Is your life really so devoid of meaning that you have to wave away any pain you may cause lest you be forced to acknowledge you aren’t remotely funny?

Or do you simply enjoy hurting people?

Oh and before you so much as think about calling me rude, you just went after people I care about, and anyone here will tell you that I’m being nice in light of that.

I’m going to steal a curse from someone here (Cassandra?) — may you wake up one day and realize what a horrible person you are.

Ally S

It was an invasive, disturbing sexual comment. And it reminded me of the sexual harassment I faced from my sister’s ex when I was 12. You may be puzzled as to how that could trigger someone’s anxiety or trauma, but just because you can’t imagine it doesn’t mean it’s impossible. What I dealt with when I was 12 has had such an impact on my psyche that I’m actually afraid of having sex and extremely sensitive to boundary violations. Of course your words were fucking distressing. I made that pretty damn clear in every single one of my responses. Either you have an abysmal level of self-awareness or you’re being a disingenuous asshole.

And you know, I’m having a hard time believing that you’re being sincere about your so-called apology because of the garbage that you posted after I said your words were frightening and triggering to me:

Exactly. So, fuck your feelings, too. You do nothing but throw insults, and expect any sort of respect. Naw.

I have been abused. I chose to get over that shit.

Be a professional perpetual victim for someone who cares. Fuck your feelings, as you and countless others have disregarded mine.

LOL, Ally S is mad. Troll win. You know, besides the fact that she could afford to realize that she will encounter things she doesn’t like to hear, in real life, sooner or later. I’m so sorry your sensitive little eyes must read the word FUCK.

And after I said my hands were shaking due to anxiety as a result of being triggered, you said this:

Shake some more. Maybe hurling insults at me will help. I loved that part.

Truly the words of someone who is sincerely compassionate. Yep. You were just mistaken.

Bullshit.

Oh, so you know women who have been abused? I see. I wonder how they would feel if they read what you said to me earlier.

Again: fuck off.

CassandraSays

In today’s news, dude with no empathy decides that other people’s pain must not be real, pats self on back.

Ally S

In other news, calling someone’s writing pretentious is just as bad as mocking someone for having an anxiety attack.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

I fucking missed that shit about “real violence” — so what’s “real violence”?

Clearly sexual harassment isn’t, or you’d not have pulled the shit you did. Rape? Or does it have to be “rape rape”? And just what is “rape rape”? Is it only “real violence” if a weapon is used? Or does it have to be more than threats, does she have to end up in the ER?

And how about victims of other sorts of violence? Where’s being threatened with a weapon fall in comparison to being beaten? How much torture does it take to be “real violence”? Potentially fatal stress positions? Beatings (also potentially fatal, or rather, proven fatal)? Waterboarding? Electroshock? Bamboo under the nails? Gotta do permanent harm?

How about the people who witness whatever you’re calling “real violence”? Are they allowed to be traumatized? Or the gun has to be pointed at them, not their loved one?

Soldiers? Is active duty enough? Have to be in a combat zone? Have to be shot at? Have someone shot in front of them? Actually be shot? Loose a limb? See someone killed? Oh, I know, is killing someone “real violence” that can traumatize, or do you need to be on the other side of it?

God damnit, I can’t find it now, but there’s a quote along the lines that the worst we ask of soldiers isn’t to die, but to kill.

cloudiah

Wow, dub, you win November’s “I am a terrible person without empathy” award. Congratulations?

If he’s supposed to be banned, has anyone emailed David to point out that he’s still pooping in the comments?

Alice Sanguinaria

Give me a few moments. I can send an email.

Viscaria
Viscaria

1) He’s a worm for trying to comment after a ban regardless of how the comments made it through 2) screw him and his “real distress” bullshit like there’s some magical point at which distress becomes legitimate and worth his fucking concern.

kittehserf

I know Toy Soldier doesn’t bother socking, being so full of his precious self, but that shit reminded me of him. Don’t know why, since I’m not really familiar with his spewings anyway.

CassandraSays

It’s always interesting to watch conversations where one person is saying “I’m distressed” and the other is replying with “no you’re not”. Does the latter person in that dynamic not realize how obvious they’re making their abusive personality, or do they know and just not care?

kittehserf

This one was certainly doing it on purpose, with the typical abuser’s attempt at indignation and blaming the person being abused. His personality seems to have all the charm and appeal of Roosh’s hair.

CassandraSays

And then he came back all “I made you cry, lol”. And now for his next trick he will kick a few puppies. He sure is awesome.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

His personality seems to have all the charm and appeal of Roosh’s hair.

Ouch! That’s harsh, even for you, Kittehs 😉

kittehserf

His personality seems to have all the charm and appeal of Roosh’s hair.

Ouch! That’s harsh, even for you, Kittehs 😉

I know. I was quite proud of it. 🙂

Alex
Alex

I read the pamphlet and it is so unbelievably obvious that it’s a satire on what feminists believe the patriarchy. Maybe you should’ve linked the actual pamphlet so your audience could see for themselves.

sparky
sparky

And you fail at reading comprehension, Alex. We know its meant to be satire. It’s just not very good or vey funny satire.

And David provides a link to the original pamphlet at the end of the article.