a woman is always to blame antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? boner rage gross incompetence hundreds of upvotes imaginary oppression men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA MRA comics cavalcade oppressed men oppressed white men playing the victim racism rape culture reddit straw feminists victim blaming

Men’s Rights Kontroversial Komik Kavalkade

Want to earn yourself some quick karma points on Reddit? It’s easy! Just post some terrible misogynistic comic and wait for the inevitable upvotes. Like this one, which combines some standard-issue victim-blaming rape apologism with a bit of racism and serves it all up in terribly drawn cartoon form, and collect dozens of upvotes!

XzyNpd4

Or this one, which also, er, touches on issues of race. Did I mention something about dozens of upvotes? This one got hundreds!

fTTXOEh

Yes, that’s right, a barely coherent cartoon protesting “race-mixing” did indeed get hundreds of upvotes on the Men’s Rights subreddit.

EDITED TO ADD: Ah; the reason it’s so incoherent is that it’s a racist remake of an anti-racist cartoon.

And this one got thousands of upvotes for its amazing insights into gender relations.

strong

Officially, according to the Men’s Rights subreddit sidebar, it’s against the rules there to post “rage comics, or other low-effort image posts. Mods may remove these at their discretion.” Apparently these all count as “high-effort.”

kittehserf

Being a fail to the fails would be worthy of much laughage.

Tries to spray himself with Axe body spray and misses…

kittehserf

::wheeze:: 😀

Argenti Aertheri

“Who’d steal an owner’s manual?”

I guess you can get a key made with the info in it or something? Idfk, hence how this still comes up occasionally (whereas the GPS got replaced and that was the end of that, sucks, got dealt with, end of story)

Tell Mac I appreciate his discretion.

Seranvali
Seranvali

I hope they got the permission of the artist for rewriting the MDF comic and for not crediting them. It’s somebody else’ intellectual property and since it’s been used to make the point opposite to the original the author may well take umbrage. Maybe sending a link would be in order.

Argenti Aertheri

Tries to wrap himself in a toga, has way too little material and ends up far too exposed (so I used to work at Jo-Ann Fabrics, near Yale. For a tall-ish guy you want 6 yards to do it right, I know that sounds like a lot, but you gotta figure 4’+ for one wrap around, and you want two with enough left to drape…the dudebros just could not grasp that we weren’t trying to up sell them but prevent unfortunate exposure incidents [and guys, it’s white cotton, it’s like $3 a yard, just buy it and ensure you have enough!])

CassandraSays

Tries to spray himself with Axe, picks up wrong can in the bathroom, sprays himself with Scrubbing Bubbles instead. Hilarity ensues.

kittehserf

And if they’d been doing it properly it would have been wool, not cotton!

Apologies in advance to any Cyanide and Happiness fans out there, but I can’t believe that comic has four creators. The whole thing is so zero-effort.

SittieKitty

I have nothing to add to the conversation about sex, except that it’s weird as fuck to get questions about your sex life from anyone unless that’s specifically the topic :/ Especially when it’s about how *specifically* your genitalia go together…

Does anyone find the Zimmerman comment from the original second comic slightly…off-putting? It’s basically making a joke out of the murder…

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Copyright law is MISANDRY!

hometeampaper
hometeampaper

Also, has anyone ever said the ‘I wish a big strong man would do x for me’ non-tongue in cheek?

I’ve gotten this before, which is extra weird because my arms are like toothpicks. I’m never sure how to respond.

Shiraz
Shiraz

First one, predictably digusting. Did someone actually post that with pride? Jesus.

I suppose the second one only makes sense if you’re a racist/sexist asshole. Or am I missing the instructions and have to hold it up to a mirror or something?

The third one — we know how “Nice Guys” think. Helping someone to move a couch earns you blow-job credits. Thanks for illustrating why women stay the hell away from from guys like you.
“You big strong man, you…” did someone say this to the (snicker) creators, like ever? No. Nooooo.

LBT
LBT

RE: SittieKitty

Yeah. And then it ends with the note, “In loving memory of Critical Miss’ first black character.” Who, you know. Is dead now, so presumably means there are no longer any black folks IN the comic. Which is… yeah.

SittieKitty

LBT, yeah, I was okay with the comic for the most part up until then (I doubt that the larger guy was called beta by accident and can’t help but make body-shaming associations). But really, for a comic that’s supposed to be anti-racist, the punchline is still incredibly racist.

Marie
Marie

@hometeampaper

Say, ‘sure’ and flex your toothpick arms cooly 😛 or a ‘no thanks’ if you don’t want to do it.

Also, non-tongue in cheek? Not challenging you, just to be clear, I’m just trying to take a tally here and see.

Walter
Walter

I haven’t read all of the comments, but I must ask, what is a “non-corporeal” partner?

Marie
Marie

Also, one of the more obnoxious instances of ‘big strong man’ mentality I’ve had is when my dad and stepmom were moving a heavy thing, I offer to help them move the heavy thing and they ask my brother to. 😛 Only difference is I don’t think it was all sexism since I have a kind of bad back, but I still do have more upper body strength than my brother and, more importantly, offered to help.

kittehserf

Walter – in my case, my husband has long since crossed into Spirit (heaven, whatever) but that doesn’t stop us being together on either side of the veil. 🙂

kittehserf

PS that’s him and one of our resident veil-side kitties in my avatar.

Walter
Walter

OK. Thank you for the information.

kittehserf

You’re welcome! I blog (lackadaisically … haven’t posted since July) about this, you’ll find it if you click on my nym.

/shameless self promotion

SittieKitty

I’ve said “I wish a big strong man would do [x] for me” when it’s obviously something I couldn’t do myself and my roommate (who can prolly lift me up with one finger) was standing nearby watching. Being sarcastic in order to get him to actually help, is that considered tongue-in-cheek?

LBT
LBT

RE: SittieKitty

Yeeeeah. I don’t know if the comic was trying for a, “I’m going to do it too, only KNOWINGLY, which makes it clever and funny!” which I just don’t buy.

Argenti Aertheri

“And if they’d been doing it properly it would have been wool, not cotton!”

1) that is actually expensive
2) we’re talking August and September frat parties here. Even dudbros don’t deserve that!
3) IMO it’s itchy (alpaca is the only natural fiber I can deal with)

hometeampaper
hometeampaper

Sometimes, yeah. I mean, I’m pretty sure it’s meant to compliment me by reinforcing my masculinity.

CassandraSays

Does it count as sexist if I sometimes long for tall people to help me get stuff down off shelves that I can’t reach? I mean, I’d be happy to accept help from tall women too, it’s just that most of the tall people who I’ve known have been men. Or is the fact that men are on average taller than women sexism against men?

(This comment brought to you by the League of Short People Who Have Trouble Reaching Stuff.)

CassandraSays

Also League of People with Sensitive Spin fistbump. Even cashmere irritates me skin to the point where I have to wear something under it, especially on my back.

Skin, not spin.

Marie
Marie

@sittiekitty

I’d consider it tongue-in-cheek, but you’re the one saying it so you are probably the ultimate judge here 😛

@hometeampaper

K. was just curious 🙂

@cassandrasays

Hey, I’m also in the league of short people! 😀 I’d go for no, but I tend to ask for help when I’m with my dad, who inconsiderately stocks the glasses I like to drink from way up high, so he damn well better get them down for me, since I already told him and he doesn’t want to change it. XD

CassandraSays

What I’d really like is hang straps/rails on the train that I can hang on to without feeling like I’m going to dislocate my shoulder. This is part of why I wear heels so much.

SittieKitty

Yep! Self-aware satire is like The New Thing to avoid being called out on shitty opinions. It’s I know that you know that I know that you know that I know what I said was shitty, but because I know it, it’s *really* shitty.

It’s totes misandry Cassandra. Tallness is a huge stereotype for men and short men aren’t privileged in society, they are in fact discriminated against on the same level as women are. I know it’s true because I read it on the internet.

kittehserf

Argenti – Oh, I know, I wasn’t expecting them to spend the money or do it properly, I just couldn’t resist mentioning that real togas were wool. 🙂

Joining the Short People With Sensitive Skin Fistbumps! Only time I like cashmere on my skin is if someone else is wearing it. 😉 That jacket I’m knitting at present would be hellish on bare skin. It’s not the roughest mohair I’ve ever felt, but I’d end up with a rash if I wore it next to skin.

CassandraSays

I used to have cashmere blend leggings and oddly enough they were OK, it’s my torso, especially my back and neck, that’s especially sensitive.

cloudiah

Short people on public transit are seriously disadvantaged. Especially since people who can actually reach those hang straps still monopolize the poles that run from floor to ceiling. I’ve seen tall guys lean against those poles for comfort, while also using the hang straps to stay upright!

CassandraSays

Yeah, I don’t see why people who can reach the straps can’t leave the poles for those of us who’re vertically challenged, as well as for, you know, children? If I had a dollar for every time I’ve seen adults on public transit blatantly ignore the needs of kids who’re struggling to stay upright I’d be Scrooge McDuck.

LBT
LBT

RE: SittieKitty

It’s been around a while; it’s driven me nuts for YEARS. You have to do something BESIDES just do what everyone else does with a wink and a grin. You have to actually do something NEW with it.

kittehserf

Ah yes, the leaning on poles thing. I have a method for dealing with that: if I’m trying to hang on to that pole, the leaner gets knuckles in the back, hard.

Mind you these days it isn’t a problem. I get the train from whichever terminus, because I can’t do long standing trips home anyway (plus, with a walking stick, it’s THAT IS MY SEAT GET OUT OF THE WAY).

Argenti Aertheri

Short people fist bump! What’s weird is my skin only gives a shit about natural fibers, not sensitive to anything else (well and malachite green, the ich killer, is all kinds of bad in general…but it kills ich, does anyone expect it’d be something you shouldn’t wash off?)

CassandraSays

Is that somehow made of malachite as in the stone, or does it just happen to be the same color?

SittieKitty

LBT, agreed. Things aren’t funny or clever unless they actually subvert traditional narratives instead of reinforcing them. Everyone knows the status quo, comedy should make a statement that’s status not quo.

Argenti Aertheri

(And this is how the frankengloves where born — a certain poodle shark ate them and they’re the only gloves I can wear and work my iPod so repair them I did. They even look decent now, thanks to pecunium’s alpaca yarn)

Argenti Aertheri

Just the same color.

SittieKitty

Speaking of, I’ve been knitting lately, but I’ve had to be very selective in the type of material I use or I can’t wear anything I make… And alpaca is very expensive.

CassandraSays

Briefly paying attention to the original comments, on the Detroit one…it’s always grimly amused me that people throw crap like “what were you doing out at that time?” at women as an attempt a rape apologism, because they don’t seem to realize that they’re quite literally implying that women should not be allowed to leave the house at certain hours of the day*. But we invaded Iraq to “free” “their” women, yep, that’s definitely what we did.

*And not that being out and about because you just went clubbing or whatever other entertainment-related reason isn’t something that should be seen as OK if you’re a woman, but also, um, jobs? Some of them require either a late ending time or an early start? When I used to take the night bus home in London I’d see tons of people who were clearly either coming from or going to work, based on how they were dressed.

CassandraSays

Also, “what were you doing in Detroit at that hour”? Um, people live there?

kittehserf

I’d hope it’s not real malachite, since that stuff is toxic.

Buttercup Q Skullpants
Buttercup Q Skullpants

If the neckless copypaste creatures in comic #1 are to be believed, nothing bad ever happens to people who toe the line and behave in ways “appropriate” for their gender and race. If you get uppity and start dressing differently or going into strange neighborhoods, well, this is what’s in store for you.

Except that crime still happens no matter how prepared or well-behaved you are. I was walking down the street in broad daylight in Philadephia once, wearing a parka and jeans, and two men in a gray Volkswagen pulled up and tried to abduct me*. Explain THAT one, stilted Reddit comic artist!

*I actually laughed, because “GET IN THE CAR, BITCH” was such an absurd come-on. When one of them lunged for me and I realized they were serious, I ran like hell and got away. Later I found out they’d unsuccessfully tried to get one of my classmates, too.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Average height, but a foot shorter than the roomie. It’s his house. Guess where we store the toilet paper? If it’s RIGHT on the very edge of the shelf and I stand on tippy-toe/hover over the toilet, I can snag the plastic wrapping with my fingertips. (And I’m the ONLY one in the house who changes the freaking roll.) Otherwise, I have to drag a chair in from the kitchen to climb on.

Also a member of the finicky skin clan. Wool, synthetics that don’t breathe, anything with the wrong texture, and bar soap. And, I don’t know, something makes my whole body just randomly drive me to claw deep, bleeding runnels in my skin. Increasing my omega 3 intake seems to help, and then the itch comes back. No rash, mind you, just itch. Sigh.

Alice Sanguinaria