a woman is always to blame antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? boner rage gross incompetence hundreds of upvotes imaginary oppression men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA MRA comics cavalcade oppressed men oppressed white men playing the victim racism rape culture reddit straw feminists victim blaming

Men’s Rights Kontroversial Komik Kavalkade

Want to earn yourself some quick karma points on Reddit? It’s easy! Just post some terrible misogynistic comic and wait for the inevitable upvotes. Like this one, which combines some standard-issue victim-blaming rape apologism with a bit of racism and serves it all up in terribly drawn cartoon form, and collect dozens of upvotes!

XzyNpd4

Or this one, which also, er, touches on issues of race. Did I mention something about dozens of upvotes? This one got hundreds!

fTTXOEh

Yes, that’s right, a barely coherent cartoon protesting “race-mixing” did indeed get hundreds of upvotes on the Men’s Rights subreddit.

EDITED TO ADD: Ah; the reason it’s so incoherent is that it’s a racist remake of an anti-racist cartoon.

And this one got thousands of upvotes for its amazing insights into gender relations.

strong

Officially, according to the Men’s Rights subreddit sidebar, it’s against the rules there to post “rage comics, or other low-effort image posts. Mods may remove these at their discretion.” Apparently these all count as “high-effort.”

toujoursgai

From the second comic: “This happens to men all the time.”

I…does it, though?

Andrew Johnston

Two things about that second one.

1.) It’s a crude Photoshop of an anti-racist comic.

2.) Whatever Channer altered it also added the signature of a nutbar political cartoonist, so he was probably taking the piss with the whole thing.

Andrew Johnston

On the other hand, the Cyanide & Happiness one is real. I always knew that the guy who drew that one was a dick, but I didn’t know he was that kind of dick.

hellkell
hellkell

Wow, that was…bad. They just can’t seem to stop once they’re on hateful, racist, sexist roll, can they?

ALL THE PROJECTIOn for the one claiming men are always told who they can be attracted to. These are the same dudes who whine like hell when women aren’t attracted to them.

Quackers
Quackers

I think the reason they keep perpetuating the myth of the “slutty” woman raped in an alley at 4am is because they know its extra shitty (like even for them) to victim blame someone who was raped in their own home by someone they know…which is the most common scenario for rape.

So really its just another excuse to be victim blaming assholes. Why care about facts and statistics if they get in the way of shaming women for what they wear? also if your first reaction is to tell someone who got their car stolen they are a dumbass, then congratulations, you’re a shitty person who lacks empathy and probably shouldn’t have friends.

Interesting about the third comic too, MRAs boast about how naturally physically stronger men are all the time…so what’s the problem here? best qualified person for the job right? they’re all about that! its why women shouldn’t be firefighters and shit. Of course a simple “no I can’t, sorry” would suffice if he doesn’t want to move the couch but LOL telling women to suck d**k LOLOL

LBT

First comic: Yes, because so many women walk around in their underwear in the middle of the night. PLUS BONUS RACISM! Yaaaay!

Second:
“Even if skin color is relevant. Like with sexual attraction.”

…how is it relevant? Seriously, are there really people with such HUGE preferences for a specific skin tone? Do they wig out if their partner gets/loses a tan?

Also, I really wish the idea that ‘multiculturalism’ is the reason for the idea men can’t be raped. Dudes, my SEXUALTY PROFESSOR said that shit, and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t a multiculturalist.

RE: toujoursgai

I…does it, though?

Doesn’t to me. I haven’t even gotten the, “You need to fuck CORPOREAL men!” thing. (THAT was reserved for women. Go figure.)

RE: Andrew Johnston

Yeah, I got that it was a shoop. Thanks for the link to the original!

LBT

Er, I meant to say, I wish that idea would DIE. Cut the sentence off prematurely. <.< Oops.

sarahlizhousespouse

Can we get more volume on that putrid racism? I don’t think it’s loud enough.

Racist Redditors, go fuck yourselves.

Marie
Marie

Got bored after the first one and didn’t finish reading them all, but yay comments! 😀

Also, has anyone ever said the ‘I wish a big strong man would do x for me’ non-tongue in cheek? Cuz I know my frickin stepmom was doing some rant about how she hated women who were always like that, but I have never ever seen anyone do it non-tongue in cheek.

kittehserf

LBT:

” I haven’t even gotten the, “You need to fuck CORPOREAL men!” thing. (THAT was reserved for women. Go figure.)”

You won’t be surprised to know I’ve had that shit for decades. Even from supposed in-tune mediums on occasion. It’s like I’m doing something terribly evil by not making my vagina (and presumed child-bearing capabilities) available to some man, any man, as long as he’s corporeal.

Perry
Perry

Quackers,

I was confused about the 3rd one, too. Women are supposed to look to men to be strong but when they follow the script that men are stronger, they deserve to be sexually harassed.

hrovitnir
hrovitnir

The first two are totally revolting. The last one, I’m down with the concept, but unsurprised by the execution – it’s no mistake they chose a nasty and sexualised retort there.

I have to admit I like some Cyanide and Happiness, but some of the authors are all too fond of domestic violence and rape jokes. 🙁

I do personally hate the “big strong man” comments, because there are definitely people who maintain gender roles through a steady stream of gendered comments, and it’s the continuous, continuous reference to what makes a wo/man, how that thing you did is in/appropriate for your perceived gender BLAH BLAH BLAH that does my fucking head in.

Morrigan

These, along with bigoted jokes, work as litmus tests. Many will protest, “It’s a joke!”, but for a joke to be funny, you must understand and (I think) accept its premises on some level. Otherwise, they are nonsensical.

May I try the humor?

BREAKING: World’s Women Combine into Single Giant
Manosphere responds

HARMONY, CA–
At 13:42 GMT, we saw the conclusion of the previous week’s massive gathering of all women everywhere in the world at Dubai in the UAE. There, every woman in the world joined together, forming one entity. Reports from the scene indicate that the giant grew to be taller than the Burj Khalifa on site before finding a clearing to sit and, by local accounts, ponder the situation.

Reactions from the Manosphere were swift.
The Men’s Human Rights Activists released a statement saying that they did not notice anything different about the now sole woman in the world and have thus made no plans to interact with her for the foreseeable future. The MRAs indicated, however, that they would continue generalizing about her from their own projected experience with women.

Pick Up Artists deployed several Neg Battalions at the location of the giant woman, but the woman’s toe has yet to respond favorably to their repeated insult-advances, such as, “Your skin is much less calloused than I expected of a huge toe.” The Kino Escalation Force announced plans to engage with the enemy if further assaults by the Neg Battalions prove ineffective.

Men Going Their Own Way have been baffled by the above-1200 metre woman, who is of indiscernible ethnic background. They appear to have split into two major factions, the larger of which advocates going their own way to the woman, supposing that she will be pliable and submissive as long as she is not American. The second considers the giant woman too obviously American and advocate going their own way to the woman in order to see her for themselves, after which they will talk to each other about the evils of this new monolith.

At press time, a small group had begun a Men’s Rights convention at a hotel near the woman. Several high-profile topical speakers were advertised, including Paul Elam, Matt Forney, Tom Martin, Karen Straughan, and Ferdinand Bardamu. One speaker has already presented, Paul Elam, who had this to say:
“That giant is an example of misandry clearer than the atmosphere on a cloudless day, not unlike billions of water droplets in an oppressive cumulonimbus cloud, which casts a shadow over righteous earth, congealing into a drop of rain which falls from the perversely inverted heavens to ruin the new suede shoes of men everywhere. Now that all women have shown their true nature by becoming one, I respond most appropriately in kind. To ask, ‘What about men?'”

Alice
Alice

So giving your partner oral pleasure implies that you are small and weak?

I don’t even….

And each one of these guys is going to now add that comic to their resume of “over 10 comics drawn this year!”

Alice
Alice

Wouldn’t Karen Straughan become a part of the giant woman, too?

coffeeyum
coffeeyum

It bugs the crap out of me when my mom goes on a spiel about “the good old days” when guys still held doors open for ladies, watched their language, etc. Thankfully my sisters aren’t buying into that crap. They only expect a door to be held for them when somebody else happens to get to it first. And as far as language, they curse a fuckton.

LBT

My system has done it, but only tongue in cheek. Also, we were moving and heavily laden, and were unashamed of groveling for assistance.

RE: Kittehs

I KNOW RIGHT? There seems to be this assumption that the only folks who get noncorporeal partners are women–it’s like guys like me don’t even exist. It’s absurd; I MSTed some cockbite with that shit a while ago.

…this is just making me realize a bunch of the sexist implications of a lot of bullshit regarding this.

MaudeLL

I wonder why none of these men’s human rights activists have received a Nobel peace prize yet.

While it makes no sense, the second one is pretty interesting. I am curious about this assertion that men are coerced into having sex with women they are not attracted to, all in the name of PC. I’m pretty sure no one cares if they only want to have sex with supermodels. Thing is, most of them should be ready to not get laid in this case. Because bitches be superficial right (irony noise)? And the ‘men can’t be raped’ thing… Being personally disturbed by the trivialization of male rape (particularly in the army and in prison), I definitely would like to see all the MRA actions to address this stigma. So far, I’ve seen much less done by MRAs than by feminists and unafiliated people. You have Heartiste rambling about how being forcefully sodomized by a stranger in a backalley can be solved with a few benchpresses, therefore women getting pregnant from cheating is worse than rape (logic). Or you have feminist Jason Thibeault’s post about a man’s sexual assault by a woman. http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck/2013/05/06/memo-to-blowjob-forcing-fan-its-a-rap-concert-not-a-rape-concert/

Oh yeah, that’s the same Jason Thibeault that AVfM tried to smear by making up that he is an admitted rapist. To make an awesome point about feminism harming men.

Men’s human rights activists.

kittehserf

Y’know I’d never thought of it, but you’re exactly right: the whole attitude to non-corporeal partners is double-layer bullshit. Women get the “you’re fantasising/desperate/can’t get/accept RealMen/too picky/delusional” variety, and men just … pfft, nonexistent, ‘cos of course All Men are Horny Heteros who wouldn’t ever need/want to have a non-corporeal partner, let alone BEING a non-corporeal person themselves.

Urgh, urgh, urgh.

kittehserf

(My previous comment was to LBT, of course.)

Morrigan

@Alice

Ahhh, embarrassing.
I missed that, because I changed the panel and added her.
If only I knew how to magically edit.

RE: Kittehs

It’s true! I mean, our situation is slightly different, but it’s WEIRD. Part of it might be that DID is overwhelmingly considered a ‘female’ disorder? Or something?

I don’t even know, I never really thought about it before, but WTF? Also, even pretending that it IS all just an elaborate fantasy… so, fantasizing about banging someone is totally kosher, but fantasizing about being in a loving relationship with someone is somehow sad and awful?

It just seems so weird! WTF.

Michael Søndberg Olsen

Reddit. Where humor goes to… not even decently die, but merely to slowly rot and infect.

kittehserf

QFFT!

I suppose the oh-you’re-delusional crowd think that fantasising is fine, but *shock horror* saying “Thank you, but this isn’t a fantasy, it’s my real life” is just too too much and breaks their brains. I mean, wtf is their problem? What’s it to them? It’s like a recent thread I saw elsewhere (not on this subject) where someone said that believing anything “incorrect” is wrong. What the hell does it matter if someone lives their life according to an “incorrect” belief that makes them happy and doesn’t hurt others?

/arghlewrathfume

cloudiah

Alice & Morrigan, GWW/Straughan is a special little snowflake and would never allow herself to be assimilated into the femborg. 🙂

cloudiah

Back to the OP, I guess the third comic is slightly better than the other two because it lacks any racism. That’s about the best thing I can say about it. So yay, 1 out of 3 Men’s Human Rights Movement-endorsed cartoons isn’t overtly racist!

RE: Kittehs

I tend not to get too harshly questioned to my face on being with my husband… but I DO get incredibly invasive personal questions about our sex life from strangers. Which is its own kind of horrifying. How is my anatomy, his anatomy, and the things we do with it ANYONE’S business but our own? Voyeuristic little creepers.

Morrigan

Whereof one cannot edit words, thereof one must edit intentions!

Marie
Marie

@kittehs

Bleh. That’s fairly creepy.

@morrigan

Great use of a starfire pic 😀

kittehserf

LBT – not to mention asking about your sex lives is DUMB. Hello, two blokes, is this so difficult to comprehend? Would these same people ask a corporeal same-sex couple those questions? (They might ask women if they’re at the “but what do women do?” level, of course.)

In a way I’m better – what’s the term, shielded? Less vulnerable because of no trauma? – than y’all, because if anyone asked what Louis and I do together I’d TELL THEM, probably in more detail than they wanted (or maybe just snicker meaninfully). We’re not bothered by questions most would consider intrusive. Louis couldn’t care less and finds it all mildly amusing when he takes any notice, and I’m not going to be bothered by a chance to talk about it, unless we’re talking dropkicks or trolls, of course. Questions in good faith are fine, as long as they’re not of the you’re delusional/he’s an evil spirit/but reinicarnation! variety – ie. telling us what our experiences are is the “not cool” category.

(Hey Marie, never worry that you’re rambling on! You have serious competition here. 😀 )

marinerachel
marinerachel

Because raping someone and stealing a computer are EXACTLY THE SAME THING, U GUISE.

Why are MRAs so funny?

marinerachel
marinerachel

Also, phenomenal artists, MRAs.

Myoo
Myoo

@Morrigan
What an unrealistic story, MRAs actually organizing a convention? Ridiculous!

(But seriously, it was really funny.)

RE: Kittehs

Yeah, in my case, I really get my hackles up if some stranger tries to pry about my sex life. Mac takes it with much better temper than I do. I’m sure some glorious multi sex educator will show up some day, but that person is not me. I’M still trying not to judge myself; I’d rather not deal with it from external sources too.

dumpster jedi
dumpster jedi

The false equivalencies in the first comic always makes me want to break shit. Yeah, if you leave your car’s door unlocked, your odds of being robbed go up. But the police will still take a report, will still at least try to bring justice; they won’t tell him that he deserved whatever happened, or accuse him of just having second thoughts about giving away the laptop he’s reporting missing, or declare that he can’t be robbed because of some presumed deficiency of moral character.

I’m not even going to touch the comparison being made between a possession (car, laptop) and a person’s own body, or a robbery committed while you were out and being sexually assaulted. — Or the racism that seems to have been added as a decorative garnish to this plate of dog shit. “Oh, it was the black man with the knife who came along and raped you! Does this one detail make this scenario better or worse than being raped by someone of any other skin tone? Also, if you hadn’t been dressed in a way I disapprove of, your assailant would have simply left you be, because modesty turns knives to rubber or something, and someone’s desire to exert power over another person by using their body against their will only turns up when there’s SEXINESS present.”

Argenti Aertheri

I’m going to take this time to remind Mac that I don’t want to know! Just cuz I’m a flirt doesn’t mean I need more than that! (Hi Mac!)

On topic — that first one might not be rape culture if the first part where true — my brother had his GPS and owners manual stolen while parked in a questionable part of New Haven. We still boggle at the owners manual part, but no “what were you thinking?!”

And, as someone upthread said, they picked the least likely form of rape and tossed in racism. Cuz even to them “why were you alone with that nice white boyfriend of yours?” sounds ass. (And, well, if they promote that as being bad, they know they won’t be getting any.)

Alice
Alice

@Morrigan

I didn’t mean to make you feel embarrassed. I enjoyed your story immensely!!

🙂

kittehserf

Argenti – ah, but it’s not really rape if it’s the NiceWhiteBoyfriend(TM), is it? /hurl

kittehserf

multi sex educator

My mind went off on a TOTALLY wrong tangent then … 😛

Alas, Cyanide and Happiness is written only by dudbros, no MRAs, so the MRAs themselves are still batting zero.

RE: Argenti

Who’d steal an owner’s manual? Also, Mac says he doesn’t kiss and tell without my consent.

Also, I’m working on Giant Robots Infinity Smashed fiction while listening to the Cabaret soundtrack. HELL YEAH!

kittehserf

dudbros

katz, whether intentional or a typo, that was perfect.

That was a typo. But yes, an apropos one.

kittehserf

I think we should add it to the lexicon. Dudbros describes them perfectly.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

A dudbro is what happens when someone tries to be a dudebro and fails.

kittehserf

I’d say being a dudebro is all fail, it’s just made clearer without the E.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m thinking like tries to pop collar, does it wrong, other dudebros laugh at him.

1 2 3 4