off topic

Music Video Friday: A quintet of duos

I just feel like posting videos today.

Can you guess the underlying theme here?

Well, I kind of gave it away with the title, huh?

Enjoy the videos, or not, as you wish, and consider this an open thread.

Falconer

Man, traveling with infants is exhausting even when there’s not a whole lot but sitting around visiting when you’re not in the car.

Me bairns had their six-month checkup, they’re doing very well, but they had another round of shots and their first flu shots, so they felt awful for a couple of days.

I haven’t been around much as a result, but nothing of value was lost.

cloudiah

Yay for healthy bairns!

Did I tell you guy that my best friend had a baby boy? It’s a big deal, because her last baby was born very prematurely and almost died, and she was again showing signs of the problem that caused that preterm birth. She deperately wanted to make it to at least 28 weeks, and she made it all the way to 32 weeks and she and her son are healthy. He had to stay a few extra weeks in the hospital as a precaution, but he’s home now and everyone (including his older sister) is over the moon.

Ally S

After weeks of anxiety-fueled procrastination, I have decided to go with my father’s plans and attend UCSC this quarter. My main reasons for doing so are

1) I will find it very difficult to go to school without him paying for my tuition, and he will refuse to pay for any more of my university education if I refuse to go this quarter

2) If I move to Colorado now, I’ll have a very hard time trying to move out of my mom’s house, and I don’t want my dad to follow me to my mom’s place since he knows the address (I accidentally showed him once)

3) While I’m not looking forward to living with my father for a longer time, living with him will mean that I’ll get to spend more time with my little sisters before I leave them

4) Seeking therapy with the help of UCSC’s student health care services will be hugely beneficial to me at this time, even though I am unable to start HRT and GRS while my father has financial control over me

5) I can make this an opportunity to stay away from home as often as possible and try to make friends at school for once. In community college, I was too scared to make friends, so hopefully this quarter I can try to further improve my social life.

Part of me finds the idea of living with my dad dreadful, but at least this way my life won’t go on a radically different track suddenly.

grumpycatisagirl

Hooray for all the good health of all the babies!

Ally S

Also good news! Apparently my commute won’t be very difficult after all – since my classes aren’t early in the morning, I can take the bus pretty late in the day. The earliest I’d have to wake up is like 9:30. It probably won’t be like this every quarter, though.

I hope that will go well for you 🙂 Did the financial aid paperwork go through?

Falconer

I’m so sorry that you’re having to follow your dad’s whims. Whatever your reasons, I’m sure he’ll take it as capitulation and/or the result of his authority.

I hope UCSC is at least tolerable for you.

And hooray for cloudiah’s friend and her bouncing baby boy!

Falconer

Or rather I should say, I hope you make plenty of good friends at UCSC!

serrana
serrana

Ally, I know going to UCSC wasn’t your first choice, but it sounds like you’re moving forward! Here’s to good friends and a good therapist in your future.

My sister is having surgery next Wednesday and I’m driving to her place on Tuesday to stay with her for a week to take care of her and her dog. She’s having back surgery, so she won’t be able to lift anything over 5 pounds for a while. I wish I could stay longer than a week, but she has a roommate and friends who’ve promised to stop by. I’m planning to grocery shop, do the laundry, and cook some stuff for her freezer right before I go home.

I’m a little nervous about the trip because we live 530 miles apart and I’ve never driven that far by myself. I’ve only driven about 1/3 that distance by myself. Then I feel kind of dumb for feeling nervous. It’s straight interstate and I have a solid car.

Ally S

@katz

I hope that will go well for you 🙂 Did the financial aid paperwork go through?

Yep, it did – my dad went out of his way to make sure it went through.

@Falconer

I hope UCSC is at least tolerable for you.

Well, certainly UCSC will be tolerable – I just wish that I could go there without living with my dad. I’ve heard pretty much nothing but good things about UCSC, so I’m excited.

I hope you make plenty of good friends at UCSC!

I hope so, too! I really need to somehow get rid of the “I’m too unlikable to be anyone’s friend” mindset, though – that’s pretty much the main reason I’m usually reluctant to befriend people IRL. X_X

cloudiah

Ally, if you’re half as likable off-line as you are on-line, you should have no problem making friends. (I know it’s easy for me to say that!) The one person I knew at UCSC *just* finished his dissertation and moved to Oakland, but I’m checking with him about promising/interesting political work, etc. in the area. Will email you if/when I hear back.

Robert
Robert

Ally, the trick I used when I started college was “nobody here knows who I’m supposed to be, so I can pretend to be anyone I want”. I humbly offer you that as a suggestion.

Ally S

@cloudiah

I appreciate it! =]

@Robert

I’m sorry, but I don’t quite get what you mean. Are you saying that the fact that people at UCSC don’t know who I’m supposed to be like means that it’ll be easier for me to make friends there?

kittehserf

Election day today and I’m really tense, because it’s all too likely the appalling Liberal Party (the name’s a lie and has been for decades: think Tories/Republicans) will get in, and that utter piece of shit Tony Abbott will be Prime Minister. Three years of an extremely racist, homophobic, misogynistic man as PM and a party whose attitudes are “let refugees die stop the boats” and “climate change is crap” and marriage equality is the “fashion of the moment” (the latter two are Abbott’s own words) is a really frightening and depressing thought.

It doesn’t help that my legs are aching like mad this morning, of course. I think I’ll listen to sarumanangry when Mum goes to vote then do some knitting.

kittehserf

Ally – I read Robert’s comment as meaning people at UCSC not only have no previous knowledge of you (blank slate) but that they aren’t going by how you think people view you. Your image of yourself as unlikeable doesn’t apply: you can try out something different. That sounds over simplified but I’m not writing too clearly just now!

LBT
LBT

Good luck at school, Ally!

Aaaaand I got an email from our father. I’m very annoyed that those five email filters I took together just ARE NOT WORKING, because I got it straight in my inbox regardless. It had only one line: “God be with you.” Funny, since our father is not a religious man.

I can’t afford to be upset right now — there’s a party going on, and I have no room to retreat to now that I’m homeless again — but I’ll probably have a good cry tonight. Apparently even one line still takes a lot of my energy. To make myself feel better, I shall write giant robots hurt/comfort stories.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Would it be too mean to write back with “Judge not, lest ye be judged”?

LBT
LBT

I don’t want to speak to them at all, or encourage conversation.

My response would be better summed up as, “I’m an atheist, and even if I weren’t, there is no god here.”

cloudiah

Damn, sorry the filters broke and you had to read that. I endorse your giant robot plan.

takshak
takshak

I bring only randomness

mildlymagnificent

kittehserf, don’t we all.

We were planning to go to a double movie session tonight to avoid all the unfolding drama but #1daughter has invited us over for dinner and to watch the count. So at least we’ll be with people who won’t mind too much all the cursing and swearing if it goes as seems likely. Though I suppose we shouldn’t throw food at her TV or kick the cat or the dog.

I really don’t much like Rudd but the thought of that other man – and some of his deeply horrible sidekicks, Sophie Mirabella anyone? – fills me with dread.

LBT
LBT

RE: cloudiah

It’s okay; our friend fielded it, but since the email was just one line, she was totally cool just sending the line. And honestly, they could’ve sent me a picture of a bunny and I’d still have gotten upset, so at least my reaction is expected.

Also, giant robots uber-short posted! For the first time, I sent an email to a knowledgeable stranger for story research purposes! I feel nervous and like some fraud impersonating a professional. *laughs* But he’s a black belt in Tae Kwon Do who also uses forearm crutches, which is EXACTLY the kind of thing I want to learn about for story purposes.

Fi
Fi

Argh, I feel the Aussies’ pain. Our PM is pretty (totally) shit but at least he’s not a Mad Monk. I have a Darwin-dwelling uncle who’s probably voting for him, but I blame the copious quantities of beer he swears is mandatory for survival in the Top End (electrolytes or summat) addling his brain.

Ally, here’s my suggestion about friends: Make a conscious effort to take everyone at face value. Like if someone invites you to hang out with people, it’s easy to go “they don’t really like me, they’re just inviting me out of obligation.” So you have to consciously tell yourself that they’re most likely doing exactly what they seem to be doing: They thought you would be fun to hang out with so they invited you. Or if someone tells you “I can’t come to your thing because I have to study,” it’s easy to think “they hate me and are trying to avoid me.” So you consciously choose to believe that they really do have to study.

Freemage
Freemage

Off-current-discussion topic, an entry in the “Laugh so you don’t cry” category:

The second video in the series has some real bite to it.

kittehserf

Fi – I think living in the Top End is brain-addling all by itself. My sister lives in southern Queensland, but for some weird reason all the ads she gets on telly are made for the Territory … and fuuuuck, they make the Queensland hinterland look positively sophisticated.

mildlymagnificent – same here. I’ve no time for Rudd, but the Mad Monk is horrific. And yes, Sophie Mirabella, gods what a vile person.

Do you get John Clarke’s “answers to the quiz” column in any of your papers? He had an election special today. Some of them were priceless.

“4. False. Neither party is led by the preferred prime minister. The preferred prime minister is Malcolm Turnbull. One of the reasons he is preferred is that he cannot become prime minister.”

“8. True. In one 24-hour period, Tony Abbott confirmed that no one is the suppository of all knowledge, that a female candidate he supported had sex appeal, and that allowing people to marry on the basis that they wanted to would be too radical a change to existing laws. These were the playful errors of a man abundantly qualified to lead the country.”

“13. True. Sophie Mirabella has been to her electorate on many occasions.”

I <3 John Clarke.

Best thing I read today, though, was a very funny column by Monica Dux on whether the comb-over will return to *cough* fashion *cough*. As she says, it's not so long since massive beards were Not A Thing, but now they're around, and people over 20 are claiming they always liked them, really. Fortunately, as yet no hipster has had "sufficient stores of irony" to go for the comb-over look. Let us hope they never do.

Ally S

@Kitteh

Ah, I get it. I’ll try to keep that in mind, then. =] That fear of being unlikable is a result of my low self-esteem, so it’s hard to suppress such thoughts when trying to make friends, but until it gets better, I need to learn to work around it so that it doesn’t continue to interfere with my social life.

@katz

That’s a reasonable suggestion. My initial reaction to such a suggestion is that it wouldn’t work since I’m already afraid of people being insincere, but that’s precisely where the whole “conscious effort” as you said is needed. At the very least, it will help me get more used to socialization, which of course will in turn help me befriend people.

kittehserf

Ally – if it helps, think that people you’re just meeting have no reason to dislike you. I don’t think you’re unlikeable anyway – that’s your jerkbrain repeating the lessons your dirtbag parental unit taught it. BUT it’s also important to remember that whatever you’re like, people are not mind-readers. They’re not getting into your head and worming out your deepest, darkest Moments Of Shame and Scuzzy Habits. They’re not mentally looking under your bed and saying “Ewww, dust bunnies and long-lost socks!” They’re just ordinary people and don’t know any more about you or have any more mind-reading powers than you do.

Plus, these are people new to uni, same as you. There’s every chance most of ’em are just as nervous or stressed about this very different environment (especially if they’re just out of school), just as worried about making a good impression, just as afraid nobody’ll like them. There might be people there who’ll be really glad to meet you, as someone who’s smart and kind and funny and is decent to them – someone they’d like as a friend.

Great American Satan
Great American Satan

Hey, wanted to throw y’all a song what must’ve been written by a prescient proto-MRA, tryin’ ta set people wise about hatred for tha guys:

In old Savannah, I said Savannah,
The weather there is nice and warm!
The climates of a Southern brand,
But here’s what I don’t understand:
They got a gal there, a pretty gal there,
Who’s colder than an Arctic storm,
Got a heart just like a stone,
Even ice men leave her alone!

They call her Hard Hearted Hannah,
The vamp of Savannah,
The meanest gal in town;
Leather is tough, but Hannah’s heart is tougher,
She’s a gal who loves to see men suffer!
To tease ’em, and thrill ’em, to torture and kill ’em,
Is her delight, they say,
I saw her at the seashore with a great big pan,
There was Hannah pouring water on a drownding man!
She’s Hard Hearted Hannah, the vamp of Savannah, GA!

They call her Hard Hearted Hannah,
The vamp of Savannah,
The meanest gal in town;
Talk of your cold, refrigeratin’ mamas,
Brother, she’s a polar bear’s pajamas!
To tease ’em, and thrill ’em, to torture and kill ’em,
Is her delight, they say,
An evening spent with Hannah sittin’ on your knees,
Is like travelin’ through Alaska in your BVDs.
She’s Hard Hearted Hannah, the vamp of Savannah, GA!

Can you imagine a woman as cold as Hannah
She’s got the right name, The vamp of Savannah
Any time a woman can take a great big pan
And start pouring water on a drownin’ man
She’s hard hearted Hannah
The Vamp of Savannah GA

Ohh she’s sweet as sour milk

Great American Satan
Great American Satan

Bel, Biv, DeVoe. Now you know.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

Ally good luck. I liked the area around UCSC when I stayed near there and the bus service was good. I’m sorry you are still under your father’s control.

I’d suggest trying to join some societies but that might be difficult with timing. I think some universities also run hobby classes which can help meet people. Everyone at university is nervous and looking to meet people. You will find friends. Look for people who share your interests and ideas. Would you be able to join something like the lgbta or would there be too much risk of your dad finding out?

lowquacks
lowquacks

@kittehs

What a load of wank is going on today. Even the “liberals R better at economy lol” argument that has catapulted them to this travesty has little to no basis in reality. Looks like Pauline may have a seat in my state, too – can’t that lady go back where she came from?

kittehserf

Well, that’s it, we’re screwed again. Stinking goddamn Liberals in government, and that utter piece of shit Abbott as PM.

And Hanson back in Parliament? Holy hell, way to prove the whole “clever country” line was and remains bullshit.

lane deau

This thread doesn’t seem to have a clear topic, so I hope it’s ok if I come here to say thank you to everybody who welcomed me a couple of days ago. I don’t recall ever coming across such a kind crew of commenters.

Now, a little more on topic, good luck to Ally, my condolences to all inhabitants of the land of Oz, and go banana slugs.

girlscientist
girlscientist

Aaaaaaah, I just came back from a conference, I’m leaving for another conference on Monday morning, it doesn’t look like anybody bothered to print my poster (even though I asked them super nicely and they’re usually efficient and helpful), I have to write a grant proposal that is due right after I come back from conference number 2 and the power supply of my laptop has died. On top of that, I’m already suffering from conference-related exhaustion and the Golden Sperm guy is way too entertaining.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me in my spazzing. I will now try to find a post-it note and stick it on my computer with a reminder that I need to breathe.

/mad scientist

mildlymagnificent

Hanson?

I didn’t see any mention of her on the ABC coverage. Surely not. Please, no.

pleeeeease.

mildlymagnificent

Just asked mr. He said there was a mention (prolly when I was outside desperately smoking yet another ciggie). His recollection was that she was unlikely to get that senate seat. I’m not going to check on that – it’s made me a little bit happy.

I don’t recall ever coming across such a kind crew of commenters.

Nonsense! Everyone knows that we’re a fiercely territorial group of dogmatists who attempt to drive off all well-meaning newcomers by labeling them as trolls. Here, have a welcome package.

lane deau

Already had one, katz, thanks!

Now, a little something on the topic of (girlscientist’s) conference posters, cos I can’t resist it. My university’s printing service is always very diligent in promising they’ll have my poster ready just in time for the conference. On the day I’m supposed to collect it, however, they instead send me an email saying that they don’t quite know how to open my PDF file and that I’ll have to find somewhere else to print it. This already happened twice.

girlscientist
girlscientist

@lane deau: You have all my sympathy!

Robert
Robert

Belated response – yes, Kitteh, you got it.

I just woke up from a dream that combined two of my least favorite dream tropes, being back at work and having trouble walking. Finally ‘woke up’ at home. Realized it was Tuesday and I’d been asleep since Thursday. Then woke up for real. Somewhat disorienting.

Dvärghundspossen

OOOOOH Check this out funny comic strip SO relevant for this site! http://www.amazingsuperpowers.com/2013/03/negging/

Ally S

@Pear_tree

Thanks. I’m definitely going to join some kind of LGBTQ group at UCSC, although I’ll have to conceal any activity done in association with that group. Fortunately, I’ll have a lot of time on my hands because my class schedule is easy to work around. I tmean, there’s only one day of the week that has more than one class. And I have weekends free, too.

@Kitteh

Plus, these are people new to uni, same as you. There’s every chance most of ‘em are just as nervous or stressed about this very different environment (especially if they’re just out of school), just as worried about making a good impression, just as afraid nobody’ll like them. There might be people there who’ll be really glad to meet you, as someone who’s smart and kind and funny and is decent to them – someone they’d like as a friend.

What are you talking about? Of course I have mind-reading powers! After all, it’s exceedingly easy for me to predict when an MRA is going to accuse me of making an ad hominem argument. =P

But seriously, I really appreciate your advice. I’ll definitely take it to heart once I’m at UCSC.

kittehserf

Those aren’t YOUR mind-reading powers, they are The FerretCat Hivemind’s, shared by the Power of Dave!

Oh no, you’ve been cursed with eternal waking!

LBT
LBT

RE: Great American Satan

That’s nice dear. Here, have some metal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygUPP02XHwg

Falconer

Oh wow, katz, where’s that page from? It looks like an EC page from the inking and coloring, but the lettering looks Nineties to me.

It’s from The Sandman volume one and you should read it because it is good and by Neil Gaiman.

LBT
LBT

The artist is the inimitable Sam Kieth! We were really into him back in high school. (Oddly, never did get into Sandman.)

Falconer

I have read one volume of Sandman, and it was the one with the Midsummer Night’s Dream pastiche, the dream of the Furrinati, and something where a woman with superpowers had to make herself a clay mask to pass as human … and it falls off in the middle of dinner.

I need to read more.