all about the menz douchebaggery entitled babies imaginary oppression men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed white men the c-word

Real-World Man-activism: The photographic evidence

Q8DK3Oy

Above, a picture that’s been floating around online for a little while, helpfully meme-ified by Manception on the AgainstMensRights subreddit.

Below, a picture of an anti-abortion protestor at the Texas State Capitol that Amanda Marcotte posted on Pandagon a while back under the title Silent Mansplaining. Which pretty much sums it up.

k-bigpic

Have any of you run across any similar photographic evidence of real-world man-activism you’d like to share?

theseventhguest

DireSloth–
For the longest time, I had flat cookies, seemingly at random. I finally figured out what the problem was, it was beating the eggs too hard, too long, or too fast. Eggs are what hold them together, after all, and over-mixing breaks them up.

So I add the eggs at the end, right before the flour mixture. And mix on the lowest setting I can manage.

Also, the recipes on the backs of chocolate chip bags are pretty good. But I like to taste the cookie part. So I use half to two thirds the bag of chips, substitue 1 cup brown sugar and a half cup of white sugar for whatever they are saying, and add some amount extra of vanilla (I haven’t measured vanilla in, like 12 years).

Beloved likes me to use some peanut butter chips for half the batch instead. But I don’t do that unless I have assistance, because splitting the dough and mixing separately is a pain.

If you can’t muster the energy to do them from scratch there’s always store bought dough.

I totally thought we were still talking about fetuses.

theseventhguest

katz–
It’s much funnier that way.

kittehserf

katz – and here I thought ‘buns in the oven’ was just a saying!

fit-to-freak
fit-to-freak

@ ak
yeah, that must be really rough for you, having a (gasp) mentally ill brother. people with disabilities are just a bummer to know, huh?
seriously, that was a super gross comment, and I don’t love that everyone just kind of let that go. as someone with numerous mental health problems I’m pretty tired of seeing people use mentally ill as a marker of being ‘difficult’. I can promise you it’s not that relatives of people with mental health problems that suffer in these situations.

M Dubz
M Dubz

@girlofthegaps- Here is the Salon article about the study; links for the study embedded in the article.

@ wordsp1inner- awwww BAYBEEZ!

kittehserf

fit to freak – if you bother to read this blog at all you’ll know that equating mental illness with assholery isn’t something we accept here. AK’s point was specifically that zir brother is NOT a douchecanoe. You really think it’s a no-go to mention someone’s conditions having caused grief in the same comment as saying zie is a much-loved and good person? Especially when the commenter is referring to someone they know very well, and you don’t know at all?

Maybe you could try not being an asshole yourself.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I can see where you’re coming from, fit-to-freak. Personally, I don’t have any issue with what AK said because I know my mental illnesses make things harder for my family and for the other people I love.

kittehserf

Oh, and fit-to-freak? Your comment reads like you think none of the regulars reading this have mental problems. Guess what, plenty of us do, and physical ones too.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

That read like straight-up trolling to me. Apparently I’m the only cynic in the group, at least until hellkell gets here.

kittehserf

My trolldar must be down! Damn crummy provider services. ::grumble::

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m waiting on comment #2 before I decide troll for sure. Mostly because there are people who view their mentally ill relatives as inconveniences instead of as suffering human beings, and I would understand if fit-to-freak is sensitive to that particular kind of dehumanization. That said, I don’t think AK was doing that at all.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The nym isn’t exactly helping to keep my cynicism in check.

kittehserf

I thought the bit about “the relatives don’t suffer” is painting with far too broad a brush, at best. No, it’s not the same level of suffering, but to deny it happens at all? Bullshit.

Plus there are those who’ve been on the receiving end of alcoholics’ behaviour, and fuck that noise about there being no suffering if that comes into it. (AK I am not talking about your brother there!)

kittehserf

It does seem an odd choice of nym to go with the expressed concerns.

Wetherby
Wetherby

When the OP image was posted on to a Facebook page that I frequent, someone proffered the following possibly faux-naïve suggestion:

It doesn’t even say “CUNT” – if anything it’s an unfinished “E”… and if my reading of this satirical artist is correct, s/he was interrupted while writing:

“MEN LIKE BOOKS TOO, CUNEIFORM WAS USED BY MEN AND WOMEN 5,000 YEARS AGO” .

Which is nice.

neuroticbeagle

Yeah, I was side eyeing fit to freaks comment too. It does seem very trolly- like zie was not trying to address any actual ableism but rather mocking the people who call out trolls who engage in ableism.

I don’t know if I made any sense. I should probably get dressed and walk the Furrinati now.

kittehserf

Unfinished? So it was JohntheOtter and he was attacked by 1834070000000 feminazis with flamethrowers before he could finish his message of peace and historical information! :O

kittehserf

Furrinati: “Stop taking my picture, servant, I’m trying to sleep!” 😀

You made perfect sense, btw.

I gotta get my trolldar tuned. Damn, that can take days.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m thinking you might have to carry the Furrinati, actually.

neuroticbeagle

@Cassandra

LOL. Yeah, she’s not the most active dog (fetch? um, no) but she will go for walks.

BTW That picture was taken years ago- for some reason I cannot upload pictures fro my phone onto this computer, so unfortunately I do not have any current pictures of her to show you. 🙁

titianblue
titianblue

@wordsp1nner Adorable KITTIES!!!

hellkell
hellkell

To me, fit-to-freak read waaaaaaay to much into AK’s comment, and if zie’d been here any length of time, zie’d know how we feel about being insensitive to the mentally ill.

I vote drive-by shit disturber.

Fit-to-freak
Fit-to-freak

What bothered me spefically about the comment was the ‘may be’ part. As though, he’s got his problems but at least he’s not as bad as this other guy. When in reality a persons choice to be a sexist asshole is not in any way comparable to having mental health problems. And yeah, okay family might have to deal with some shit, but honestly I’ve gotten pretty tired of people comferting my parents about about how hard it must be to have a kid with my problems- often in front of me. So, yeah I’m gonna be a unhappy with people discussing their disabled relatives in terms of how difficult it is for them. If it really, truly wasn’t meant that way, fine, I’ve been up all night so it’s possible I’m in a really off place. But yeah, those types of comments rub me the wrong way and not for no reason. Also I never implied in any way that other commenters aren’t disabled- seriously show me where that was. Just cause you guys work to call out ableism doesn’t mean it never happens. I’m not a troll, I’m just really really tired of being the ‘difficult’ side note.

Fit-to-freak
Fit-to-freak

Fuck I’m just really tired. I can’t tell if I’m over reacting anymore I honestly don’t know so never mind okay fuck

hellkell
hellkell

What “may be” part of that comment?

Fit-to-freak
Fit-to-freak

The ‘my brother may be a mentally ill alcoholic’ part? Idk it was near the beginning

hellkell
hellkell

I can kind of see where you might be coming from, but AK is a known quantity around here. I think you need to read the second part of that sentence and let that sink in.

Fit-to-freak
Fit-to-freak

If freak is triggering or has ablelist connotations to it I’ll change my name. I guess I can not currently acess whether I entirely over reacted, I don’t feel like I did but clearly I’m kind of not in a right way at the moment so I guess I can’t judge myself very well right now. So ak I’m sorry if I was being rude and unfair, and I will properly apologize when I have a clearer head. I’m not trying to be an asshole or a shit stirrer I was legitmently upset (even if I was wrong which it seems like I was). I’m a real person, I’m 19, I have a tumblr I can give a link to if that legitimizes me? I am making things worse probably.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I think the wisest move would be for everyone to just drop this conversation.

Viscaria
Viscaria

It sounds like you need some rest. I hope, once you’re feeling a little better, that you do choose to come back and give AK a real apology. (One without an “if” in it, yeah?)

I’m sorry that people comfort your parents in front of you about having to deal with you. That is totally fucked up. However it is still unfair for us as disabled people to demand that those in our lives never discuss their own experiences with us, in non-ableist terms and without dismissing our own experiences.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Or what Cassandra said.

Falconer

So! Our new house has more wildlife around it than I thought.

Beloved says she saw a wee snake on the front step a few days ago, and a little lizard there some time later.

I disturbed a skink of some sort last night when I moved the wheelie bin off the street. Its body was striped yellow and black and its tail was very blue.

And the deer come up through the yard practically every week.

Haven’t heard the peacock calling in months, but Beloved says she saw a peahen in another portion of the city, so maybe they got together.

My boy was full of vim this morning, but my girl basically slept through breakfast and didn’t protest when I put her back to bed.

cloudiah

You’re lucky, Falconer. I just see the occasional ‘possum.

chibigodzilla

@Falconer – Are they wild/feral peafowl? One of the folks near us keeps ’em, but all we have for wild fowl is turkeys.

Falconer

The peacock wanders around a specific residential area, and I would expect that if he was wild/feral or escaped Animal Control would have caught him by now.

We see turkeys out in the rural areas every so often, but my most common bird sighting are the local mockingbirds.

Falconer

Also also — I’ve been Skyping with distant relatives so they can see my babies, but it’s inconvenient to move my computer often so we just end up with the babies in my lap. I want to show everybody how well the babes are sitting up now, and I’ve been considering getting some sort of tablet.

It doesn’t have to be very fancy, but a camera is sort of the whole point, so an iPad 1 is out of the question, for example.

Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

chibigodzilla

@Falconer – I have a 1st gen Google Nexus 7 that I’m pretty happy with. Looks like they’re going for about $100-$200 on ebay nowadays

Tracy
Tracy

As for an easy cookie recipe, this one is from a cookbook compiled of recipes from various professional wrestlers.

Where does one acquire this amazing cookbook? Why did I not know this existed?

freemage
freemage

Dire Sloth:

Another fairly easy recipe–you only key bit is knowing how to ‘fold’ the coconut into the mix.

Ingredients

3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 cups)

Directions

Heat oven to 325° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
Vigorously whisk together the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl until glossy, foamy, and the sugar is mostly almost dissolved. Fold in the coconut, stirring until evenly combined.
Using a small ice cream scoop, drop the batter in mounds (about 2 tablespoons each) 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes; let cool completely. The macaroons will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature in an airtight container.

With that, I’m going to add a thing my wife has found helps her with her own depression bouts–after baking whatever it is you want to bake, go and drop part of the batch off at a friend’s house, or take them to leave out at your church social room, or just take them to work and leave them in the break room.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@fit-to-freak

As someone with a mental illness, I see where you’re coming from. I don’t think AK’s point was self-pity of claiming that they’re the one suffering from their brother’s problems, but yeah, it looks like they’re using their brother’s mental illness as an example of “something that is bad but not as bad as the thing we’re talking about”, and I can see why that would make someone uncomfortable.

That said: I am also a trauma survivor, partly due to my parents’ mental illnesses, so I’m not gonna sit here and say that the loved ones of mentally ill people don’t also suffer. That’s just plain not true.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

And then I saw the request to drop the conversation. My bad.

pecunium

Falconer: Probably a Five Lined Skink (that was the easiest to read/most informative page I found on them)>

Falconer

@Pecunium: That’s the li’l cutie.

Here’s another li’l cutie, this time a hognose hiding in a sock.

Marie
Marie

@diresloth

@Marie, thanks a lot. I think I’ve found a good way to manage, though.

::Is envy:: Good for you though 🙂 Sadly, I think my depression atm is being amplified by jerk-ass relatives.

@cassandrasays

I wish someone would make actual early stage fetus dolls just to illustrate how silly the tugging at the heartstrings sentimentality of it all is, because to me early stage fetuses could best be described as looking like an alien shrimp.

And, in strange news, the phrase “alien shrimp” is making me hungry.

yaoi huntress earth
yaoi huntress earth

@Tracy

The book is called, “Can You Take the Heat?” It was published in 2000, back when it was called the WWF.

pecunium

Falconer: That’s adorable. A cinnamon phase Heterodon nasicus.

🙂 😀

I am much happier for that gif.

Falconer

I’m glad I made your day better, pecunium. I think the very shallow depth of field adds to the cute.

@Marie: I’m sorry your relatives are being jerk-ass. And I think I missed something — why were you going by Zombie Marie yesterday? If I may inquire.

LBT
LBT

RE: Argenti

Hey LBT? Wtf do I do with page 6? Be glad I don’t get out enough for it to matter?

Enh, I kinda slapped together the pages to try and cover as wide a number of scenarios as possible. (Also because in a highly dissociated state, we can’t remember basic shit like where to go.)

Marie
Marie

@Falconer

I think someone mentioned zombie dworkin and I kinda took that opportunity to post as a zombie. Sorry about that. Tell me if it bugs you guys when I do it.