all about the menz douchebaggery entitled babies imaginary oppression men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed white men the c-word

Real-World Man-activism: The photographic evidence

Q8DK3Oy

Above, a picture that’s been floating around online for a little while, helpfully meme-ified by Manception on the AgainstMensRights subreddit.

Below, a picture of an anti-abortion protestor at the Texas State Capitol that Amanda Marcotte posted on Pandagon a while back under the title Silent Mansplaining. Which pretty much sums it up.

k-bigpic

Have any of you run across any similar photographic evidence of real-world man-activism you’d like to share?

cloudiah

I’m surprised no one on r/mr or over at AVfM has claimed “credit” for this activism.

Maybe that guy got excluded from a book club for not being a “real” novel-reader?

hellkell
hellkell

Oh, that guy in the Capitol. Fuck him and his sign. I’m so glad I wasn’t there in person, that would have sent me over the edge.

kittehserf

cloudiah – at least we know it wasn’t JohntheOtter. After all, he wouldn’t have had time to paint his scrawl before hundreds of machete-wielding feminazis attacked him.

Zombie Marie
Zombie Marie

I know this is slightly off-topic but the top picture is the funniest thing I’ve seen all day, thought that may just be because I am 1) moody today and 2) kinda weird.

DireSloth
DireSloth

When I saw that first photo earlier I thought it was a poe. Doesn’t look shopped, though…

kittehserf

Y’know what makes me sort of laugh about Mr “I Regret My Abortion” and his fetus-pic tee shirt? If he’s making out the fetus is the one doing the regretting, then there’s someone alive to be feeling that way. Presumably, a soul. In which case, why are they particularly worried about not having gone through an earthly life?

Not that I think Mr Dumbass has thought about any of that, but the question of who the “I” is amused me.

hellkell
hellkell

Kitteh, a lot of the dudely dudes at the Capitol protesting were full of regret over the abortions women in their lives had had. One wankstain was testifying that his sister deprived him of being an uncle.

kittehserf

I might have known. O_o

Yet it’s “my” abortion. Yeah, because you’re outraged that your womanthing (including sisterthing) did something independent, aren’t you, fellahs?

v8mile

Stuff like this? (Sorry, not sure how to post photos!) http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanmcintosh/3299622827/

Zombie Marie
Zombie Marie

@hellkell

One wankstain was testifying that his sister deprived him of being an uncle.

Good lord. Gah. Can’t these guys get over the fact that they can not control other people. Sheesh.

kittehserf

Yeah, the idea that women should have any legal independence, any control over our own lives, is an endless source of rage for these shitstains. It’s a betrayal of Amurricka!!!!eleventy!! that anyone but white dudes should have a say in anything whatever.

(I’m not suggesting for a millisecond the US has a monopoly on misogyny, racism or any other ‘isms, of course, just thinking about the particular scumbags in question.)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Wow, that’s taking the obnoxiousness of the dudes who say “we’re pregnant” when their wife is to a whole new level.

kittehserf

Urgh, I hate that “we’re pregnant” line. Like, I’m happy you two are happy and feel close, but no, dude, you are not pregnant. Even if you have sympathy pains, you are not pregnant.

respectsexwork

Reblogged this on respectsexwork.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

If ever there was a time to pat someone’s belly and ask when they expect the contractions to start, “we’re pregnant” is that time.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I’ve always assumed “we’re pregnant” was just a way of saying “we’re having a baby.” It’s the only way stuff like that and “we’ve been trying to get pregnant for a couple months” made sense as a phrase…

@Hellkell:

The fact that it was at a protest turns it from obnoxious to kind of vile in my mind. Like… I can imagine someone saying it as a father, but taking ownership of your sister’s pregnancy? Gah. Huge balloon of entitlement.

DireSloth
DireSloth

Sorry for going off topic, but we seem pretty tolerant of that here, and as a long-time lurker I think I finally have something to talk about. So, for the past day or so I’ve been in a depressive funk. This is weirdly encouraging, as I’ve never realized I’m in these moods so early before. I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do tomorrow, since I’ve accepted my normal routine is out for a while, and for some reason I immediately thought I should bake cookies. I’ve been trying to learn to cook for a while, but have never baked anything before. I’m wondering if I’ll have the mental energy to go through with it, but focusing on something I’m not used to helps when I’m in these moods. Anyone have a simple cookie recipe, or general advice?

Zombie Marie
Zombie Marie

@Dire Sloth

hope you feel better soon/ find a way to manage your depression :/ Depression sucks. Interweb hugs if you want.

Anyway, only two recipes I use (from my dad) are:

Ranger cookies

One cup butter or margarine
One cup granulated sugar
One cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
One tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
One tsp. baking soda
One half tsp. baking powder
One half tsp. salt
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups crisp rice cereal
One cup shredded coconut

Heat oven to 350°F. Cream together butter/margarine, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Blend until smooth. Fold in oats, rice cereal, and coconut. Roll into balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten with the tines of a fork. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

And:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

One cup (2 sticks, or ½ lb.) butter or margarine
¾cup granulated sugar
¾cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
One tsp. vanilla
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
One tsp. baking soda
One half tsp. baking powder
One half tsp. salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350°F. Cream together butter/margarine, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoon on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden-brown.

Ideally those will be good :3 I don’t do cookies much myself though.

And general advice, no, 🙁 If I had good advice on managing depression I’d probably have a better handle on my own XD*

*explanation: my depressions been flaring up for like…wow the last month or two. Quite a while.

Robert
Robert

My father, according to my mother, vomited routinely during all seven of her pregnancies. She had no such problems, and, indeed, wound up weighing less after each delivery. She told me, when I was in high school, that if she had had to go through what she saw some of her friends go through, she would have stopped at two.

As number six of seven, this was somewhat disconcerting.

M Dubz
M Dubz

Good lord. What kind of asshole complains specifically about his *sister’s* reproductive choices? I feel like this must be in some way linked to the new research suggesting that men with sisters tend to be more conservative than men without…

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I wonder if dude in the picture realizes how many creepy overtones of incest his little sign campaign suggests. I mean, there’s really only one way that you can claim that the fetus your sister had aborted was “yours”…

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

Imagine if he were your brother. That has got to be awkward at family gatherings. Assuming his story is true. If it were false, wow. That would be even more awkward.

cloudiah

@DireSloth, Sorry about the depression, that sucks. Internet hugs if you want them. I don’t have advice, but I like lots of the recipes here so I suspect her cookies are also good:

Zombie Marie
Zombie Marie

@opium4themasses

Imagine if he were your brother

My brother is already pretty cool, but compared to this guy he looks like a saint….

neuroticbeagle

Saw this article the other day and the sheer fuckery involved boggles the mind.

DireSloth
DireSloth

@Marie, thanks a lot. I think I’ve found a good way to manage, though. I’ve managed to get in touch with myself a lot more recently and realize when it’s happening, and like I said putting off my normal routine and finding something novel to focus on helps me cope a lot. Everyone’s brain works differently, so I don’t know if that would work for you, but I hope you feel better too!

@Cloudiah, that’s a neat website 😮 I’ve been meaning to teach myself to cook for a long time and that’s really helpful.

neuroticbeagle

Imagine if he were your brother.

My sister had a pregnancy scare a while back and my brother offered to pay if she wanted an abortion. (And no, the fetus, had it existed, would NOT have been his by any stretch of the imagination.)

Argenti Aertheri

If you can’t muster the energy to do them from scratch there’s always store bought dough. As for general advice, sorry, I’m with Marie on this one, I’d be less in a funk if I had any.

DireSloth
DireSloth

@Beagle, uuugh, those stupid fetus dolls, that are always of a fetus way further along in the development cycle than could be legally aborted anyways, for extra intellectual dishonesty. Luckily I think most of the kids who got them just assumed they were supposed to be aliens or something :p

AK
AK

@M Dubz:

These sorts of things make me really grateful for my brother. He may be a mentally ill alcoholic who causes us a lot of sorrow and worry, but at least he’s a kind and loving person who respects the rights of others. I’d rather have him than some fuckhead who thinks that he owns my body like that. Ewww.

@Cassandra,

I don’t think asshole sign guy is the same as asshole would-be uncle guy. Which is really depressing, actually.

kittehserf

DireSloth – didn’t one high school get into the news ‘cos the kids had fun mutilating those creeptastic fetus dolls? I seem to recall reading about it on Raw Story, or something.

neuroticbeagle

@diresloth
Maybe- except the dolls came with ‘informational pamphlets’ so the kids who could read would know they weren’t aliens.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I wish someone would make actual early stage fetus dolls just to illustrate how silly the tugging at the heartstrings sentimentality of it all is, because to me early stage fetuses could best be described as looking like an alien shrimp.

kittehserf

That dog in the second pic is so cute!

The child in the first could be in danger of drowning, though. And the bloke in the third of a gas attack.

YES! Feminfurrinati!

girlofthegaps
girlofthegaps

@M Dubz – I haven’t seen that research and it sounds interesting; do you know where I can find it? I want to see if it could be partially contributed to conservatives having larger families (which I’d have to look into as well; I suspect that’s the case, at least in the US, but I don’t have any data to show it atmo), which would increase the chance of any given boy having a sister, as well as increasing the chance of his being conservative.

Plus it just sounds like an interesting study even if that’s not the case.

neuroticbeagle

All hoomins are equal…ly able to serve the furry overlords!

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

@ DireSloth

The recipe for chocolate chip cookies on the back of the nestle chocolate chip bag is very good, and not too tricky, but if you want simple, go with shortbread: flour, sugar, butter. Possibly with chocolate chips added.

LBT
LBT

Depression, fortunately, isn’t that high on my list of issues, but I have a piece of paper with a long list of things I do that help my mental health. I have to stuck on my wall, because when I’m depressed or otherwise not at my best, I often forget. My list of things ranges from the tricky (draw/write/make comics–even if they’re bad) to the simple (watch Disney movie). I also have a list of books that are useful for different things. James Herriot, for instance, is my depression author.

It’s also more for when we’re in a highly dissociated state, but I keep a copy of the Bad Day Book in our wallet. It’s not as thorough as the big long list, but it’s a decent pocket guide.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

In other news, “Frost” turned out to be a boy (Petco gave me the wrong paperwork–I called the rescue and got the correct dates for all the immunizations, etc.) and is now named Pantalaimon–provisionally. I’m having a hard time finding him a good name. He likes following me around and trying to play with my hair. Jade won’t come sit with me unless I pick her up, but often stays if I do. They are both on antibiotics for the “kitten cold” they picked up while at the shelter.

Pantalaimon likes to try to play with Jade, and almost ended up riding her today. He’ll sleep on her given half a chance.

More pics of the babies:

yaoi huntress earth
yaoi huntress earth

You’d think for the almighty men they are, they’d do a better job and not make the thing look so drippy.

@Dire Sloth

I can understand that feeling pretty well. As for an easy cookie recipe, this one is from a cookbook compiled of recipes from various professional wrestlers.

Perry Saturn’s Super Cookies
1 box of cake mix (any flavor)
1 egg
1/2 cup of oil

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Mix all ingredients well
-drop teaspoonfulls of the dough onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 3 dozen.

Kim
Kim

My favourite cookie recipe

It’s really easy and soooo delicious.

Argenti Aertheri

Hey LBT? Wtf do I do with page 6? Be glad I don’t get out enough for it to matter?

Page 5…hi pecunium! Thanks for being quite possibly the only person I’d list who actually answers the damned phone! (Seriously, everyone else I know is like my age – 35 and we apparently can’t work cell phones, despite having been teenagers when they really started existing [oh how I miss my Nokia with the interchangeable face plates!])

thekidwiththereplaceablehead

My suggestion for anti-depression:

This lady is happy and makes me happy.

YoullNeverGuess
YoullNeverGuess

I think it’s kind of sweet when men say, “we’re pregnant.” Yes, it’s rather cheesy, but it indicates to me that the man is showing his commitment to his pregnant lady and his desire to support her in what will ultimately become a major joint effort.

@Zombie Marie, I had the same reaction. I guess in my mind, ardent reader / vandal / reverse sexism complaints / misogynist slurs are very disparate categories. But there they are all together, in one glorious picture.

marinerachel
marinerachel

So, I just watched that video and, well, I had fun.

WeeBoy
WeeBoy

I had a miserable day, listened to so much fuckery about Chelsea Manning, and eventually lost my temper at one of the sub-eds. I am homesick and I want to go home.

kittehserf

Hugs if you want them, WeeBoy.

KITTIEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!