Uncategorized

The Man Boobz Survey Results are in!

haUp66D

So the Man Boobz survey results are in, and Argenti Aertheri, who ran the survey, has taken the time and effort to make an impressive set of interactive charts to display the data in all of its gory details. You can find that chart below — thanks again, Argenti! — but I thought I’d highlight a few of the results first.

Let’s start with the white elephant in the room. I know I’ve made some somewhat rude remarks in the past about the high percentage of white people in the Men’s Rights subreddit.

Well, it turns out that the Man Boobz readership is even whiter than that. Yep. Using the same somewhat limited set of choices used by the dude who did the Men’s Rights subreddit survey, the MB survey found that the readership of this blog is nearly 92% white, and less than 2% each Asian, Hispanic and Black, with the remainder answering “Other.”

There is also a more complicated breakdown of ethnicities, based on a more nuanced set of questions, that I’m not even going to try to summarize; you can look through the charts yourself.

But, basically, yeah, this blog’s readership, like me, is pretty darn white. I  take these results as an indication that I need to do a better job dealing with issues of race and racism. While this blog is primarily about misogyny, there is plenty of racism in the manosphere — from the white-supremacism-lite of Heartiste to the fetishization of Asian women as submissive — and it’s worth pointing this out on a more regular basis, as well as addressing some of the more subtle ways misogyny intersects with other forms of oppression. As well as the ways in which the standard (non) issues of the Men’s Rights movement can actually serve to obscure the very real issues faced by men of color. (See yesterday’s post for a perfect example of that.)

So what are some of the other notable results?

You’re all younger than me. Well, not literally ALL of you. In fact, there are a whole 4% of you older than me.

But the fact is that if you’re reading this, the chances are really, really, really good that you’re in your twenties or early thirties. Still, I feel fairly confident in saying that eventually you will be as old as I am now.

Also, it’s pretty likely that you’re a lady. Most of the readers of the blog — 59% — are cis women, with 30% cis men. The remaining 11 percent are made up of trans* women (2.2%), trans* men (0.9%), intersex (o.2%), “non-binary” (5.2%) and “other” (2.5%).

See the interactive charts below for a much more detailed breakdown of the data on gender and sexuality.

We’re a bunch of pinkos. More Man Boobzers identified themselves with Democratic Socialism than with any other political label. The second and third place winners in this category? “Other US Liberalism” and “Social Democratism.”

The sun never sets on the Man Boobz empire. Predictably, most Man Boobz readers — roughly 58% —  live in the United States. And there are lots of Man Boobzers in other English-speaking countries around the world, particularly the UK, Canada, and Australia.

But Man Boobz attracts readers in a lot of places where English speakers are in a minority. I was a little surprised to find that there are twice as many Boobzers in Germany, for example, than in New Zealand, and that there are nearly as many in Iceland as in Ireland. There are readers in countries ranging from Argentina to El Salvador, from Jordan to Japan.

There are all sorts of other intriguing factoids to be found in the survey results, from a rather complicated slicing-and-dicing of religious beliefs to answers to the critical question: how many of you are actually me?

If you don’t have Flash, go here to see the charts in all their glory.  See here for the footnotes and survey questions and raw data.

If you’re not a regular commenter here, this will help you to make sense of some of the silly in-jokes at the end of the survey.

One last note: The survey doesn’t tell us what percentage of Man Boobz readers consider themselves feminists or, ick, Men’s Rightsers. I’m going to do a quick followup survey on that in an upcoming post.

[gigya src=”http://cdn.tagul.com/cloud.swf” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” width=”600″ height=”600″ flashvars=”id=173603@1&name=iFrame%20Test”]

Argenti Aertheri

“…and would, combined, outnumber the democratic socialists here.”

Not nessacarily, because those are total counts, so anyone who checked both would be counted twice. Give me a bit and I’ll check into it.

stormster
stormster

Did my comment get deleted?

lowquacks
lowquacks

Kittehs! Okay. Remember Lavender and his cancer?

My mum was looking up the two drugs he was on – we were under the impression that one was a painkiller and one an anti-inflamatory. Turns out they both served both functions, and both were feline NSAIDS – he shouldn’t have been on both, and most cats would’ve found the two together to be very unhealthy.

We take him into the vet to have that reviewed and the vet feels the tumour. Or tries to, anyway – it’s gone from the size and shape of a thick beef sausage to nothing palpable! Probably still around, but massively into remission. The fact that the cancer probably wasn’t primary in that location means that it’s possibly gone back even further. Turns out that this shrinking of tumours is an incredibly rare (less than 1-in-1000) effect of this class of drugs, and this is the most dramatic example of it this vet has ever heard of and the only time he’s ever actually seen it himself.

He’s been very happy (if old and shaky, but less than you’d expect from a 16-year-old kitty) recently, and is now on a slightly higher dose of just one of the medications. We now call him the miracle kitty!

stormster
stormster

JK no it didn’t get deleted.

oh good to hear bout your kitty lowquacks! One of my kitties has made huge progress in his health as well. ^.^

lowquacks
lowquacks

@stormster

Excellent! Anything you’d like to tell us?

The most surprising part is that we weren’t expecting Lavender to get any better – the drugs were at most supposed to stop him getting worse or ease the pain of such.

Kittehserf
Kittehserf

::dances around::

lowquacks, that’s wonderful news – better than wonderful! Happy hugs to Lavvie and all his servants family!

::resumes dancing around::

Argenti Aertheri

lowquacks — that is fucking awesome! And to answer the question —

584 people are democratic socialists
419 people are social democrats, other US liberal, or both; but no democratic socialists

So no, not quite. But that does add to 1,003 people.

informash12358 — your question is up next as it’ll be a bit harder to sort.

cloudiah

Yay for Lavvie! That’s a good kitty story.

Argenti Aertheri

Celeste Deuel — I wouldn’t stand for it otherwise! *waves from the non-binary corner of the room*

On that note, did you get a welcome package? It’s the last link in the post if you want to go collect one! And I’ll take neutral pronouns, ze/zir, you? (Any other new people I’ve failed to ask, feel free to state a preference, anyone who disrespects it will have me to deal with!)

Falconer

Thanks a lot, Argenti! What can I get you for your data-entry-fried hands? Icy Hot? Tiger Balm? Big bag o’ weed?

Falconer

Yay for Lavender, lowquacks!

hellkell
hellkell

lowquacks: glad to hear kitty is doing well!

Argenti Aertheri

informash12358 — hmm, if you’re a cis man and a student, it’s possible it did glitch no submit some of it twice. Just the first page though and nothing here looks like it’d skew the results — the potential duplicate has answers doesn’t have any answers that deviate much from the mean (e.g. Cis man is the second most common answer, and the rest…none of this is going to really affect much)

Don’t worry about it, if this is you twice, it has less affect on the overall results than our Shaker did, because that’s odd, cis men aren’t 🙂

Argenti Aertheri

Falconer — pass the bong!

dustydeste
dustydeste

OccupyMedic: Yeah, I wouldn’t mind watching any shrivelege, but really it just squicks me out that I know he’s somewhere relatively nearby. Like, rationally, I know that in any reasonably sizable urban area there’s bound to be several creepers like him (and I’m sure there are tons more here, and there are certainly oodles of them outside urban areas as well, though ostensibly less concentrated), but part of me is just like, nope nope nope nope nope donotwant, and is mildly terrified that I might actually run into him at some point.

I think it’s just a matter of having information on him specifically that makes me view him as a more salient threat than more anonymous MRAs in the area.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Yay Lavender! I presume you’ve already given him lots of snuggles, but give him one more from me.

lowquacks
lowquacks

@dustydeste

Carry a boxcutter? 😉

dustydeste
dustydeste

@lowquacks: To be fair, a small part of my being scared of those fuckers is the fact that my status in the country is currently unstable, since my application for residency is being processed (which takes a year and a lot of money), and MRAs are pretty well-known for doing anything at all to fuck with people they don’t like. The idea of someone complaining to immigration that I threatened him with violence is… not a pleasant one. Unfortunately.

I’m just too vulnerable right now, I think. Possibly I’ll be less afraid if/when my application is approved, but who knows.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Actually I’d say that JtO is more dangerous than the average MRA just because of how much time he’s invested in the whole thing, and what that says about his level of commitment. The ones whose participation is limited to trolling blogs…eh, probably not dangerous, just annoying. But someone who’s as deep into it as he is, I’d say that your instinct to avoid him is a smart one, and if anyone does have to be around him they should probably watch their back.

AK
AK

Shakers also invented the clothespin! But yeah, there are only 3 of them left up in the last Shaker village up in Maine and I don’t think they spend much time reading humorous feminist sites (although Shakers did always believe strongly in gender equality). They do still accept converts so maybe our rogue Shaker plans to join them.

I had ancestors who were Shakers, and when I learned about that last year I did a lot of research into the sect. It’s definitely interesting, if rather unappealing to most people. And no, I was not the one who checked that (I’m UCC myself). 😉

Thanks so much for putting this all together, Argenti. The graphs were both interesting and super funny at the end.

@lowquacks, so glad to hear about your kitty. 😀

hellkell
hellkell

auggziliary:

I meant that feminism tends to focus on white cis women.

There are many facets to feminism. If you’re talking about mainstream feminism, then yes, but there is no one feminism.

Tracy
Tracy

@Argenti – wow! Nice work! I missed out on taking part, but I wouldn’t have changed the overall results much, if at all.

Tracy
Tracy

Googling ‘shakers’ got me this interesting info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Shaker_Church

More than one Shaker religion!

hellkell
hellkell

I was saying there were many versions of feminism. But I’ll let the Hive know.

NWLefty (@NWLefty1)

All I want to say is “Yay! Us!”

realhistoryww.com
realhistoryww.com

“”I take these results as an indication that I need to do a better job dealing with issues of race and racism.””
Its like you think of blacks as something you have to have more then the enemy to be the better feminist.. instead of.. JUST DOING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT BLACKS! But No, its just competition for you albino pinkers.. You always have olden timely pictures of white women all the time as representation of all women.

stormster
stormster

Where do all these cute cat avatars come from. 🙂 I like them.

cloudiah

hellkell, If you’re going to be communicating* with the hivemind, could you let them know that the NOW page needs a redesign? It looks like it was designed in the 90s.

*Communicating, not talking, because members of the borg communicate not with language, but with a series of high pitched noises. A little like ululating. Our neighbors soon get used to it, and stop calling the police every time it happens.

cloudiah

stormster, If you click on my name it will take you to my blog. Click on the link for the Welcome Package near the top, and you will find instructions on how to make a catvatar. And enjoy the welcome package!

hellkell
hellkell

cloudiah: I will put that on my list! I need to practice my ululating, but I gotta save that for when Mr. HK runs errands.

We do have someone at our office who laughs EXACTLY like a dolphin (it was seriously disconcerting the first time I heard it). I wonder if they’re part of the Hive?

lowquacks
lowquacks

@stormster

Sounds like somebody needs a welcome package! 🙂

lowquacks
lowquacks

Ninja’d by cloudiah.

cloudiah

A person who laughs like a dolphin! We have a really old microwave at the office that makes sounds like whales do underwater. I kind of with your co-worker worked with me, so that I could make her laugh in our break room while someone is using the microwave, and then imagine myself undersea…

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Argenti, that was amazing. You, like Shaenon, are A W E S O M E.

Re Hinduism: I used to work with some Hindu people, and they told me that, when you’re a Hindu, there’s really no line you can cross that makes you a non-Hindu. Like, if you’re a Catholic, you can be excommunicated, or if you’re a Protestant, you can move from being an Episcopalian to a Baptist (or whatever, not sure what that would be called, even). That is, you’re kind of one thing or another, and to choose one is to un-choose the other; you define yourself out of the group.

With Hindu, you can be Hindu-Sikh or Hindu-Buddhist, etc. etc. You can add any number of other religions/sects to your practices, and they will never kick you out, because all aspects of divinity are valid. (I think, I could be mangling the explanation they gave me.)

By the way, Hare Krishnas are a Hindu sect.

melinda
melinda

Hello, I am the single Mexican manboobzer. I feel special or something, idk.

DelurkedCantThinkOfName
DelurkedCantThinkOfName

YAY! I’m pleasantly surprised that there is still a decent amount of Latin@ folks despite the awful awful Ameri-centric options. Though not as many as I’d like to see. I can’t even remember my answers, but I was also please pleasantly surprised by the number of trans women. I dunno, just came here to say that.

Argenti Aertheri

Well fuck, I did miss Hare Krishnas.

And thanks guys, I’m glad you like the results! (Of my work that is, not the survey results, opinions on those are another matter entirely 🙂 )

shadists

The results are amazing, in case no one had mentioned 🙂

Amnesia
Amnesia

Never have the results of a survey been so eagerly anticipated. Great job, Argenti! You shall go down in Man Boobz history! Many will sing of your bravery in conquering such vast data! Huzzah!

In other news, I got my “We Hunted The Mammoth To Feed You” apron in the mail today.

Kate
Kate

infogr.am seems to have some lumberingly HUGE scripts that are conflicting with some of my security software. *sigh* I was looking forward to a slog through the data!

Argenti Aertheri

*double checks* it’s all JavaScript…I have no idea why your security software is spitting at it, it’s thousands of lines, but it all looks like what I’d expect. Is it freaking out at the flash version embedded in the post here?

And is anyone else’s software freaking? (I’m on a mac, my security software is thus non-standard)

Ally S

I’m running on Ubuntu, and it works fine for me. It’s a little slow because of my internet connection, but that’s it.

mildlymagnificent

No problems here for this post-menopausal crone.

And all the conga-rats to Argenti.

Owl Cake
Owl Cake

Just giving my two cents . . .

Thank you Argenti, this is REALLY AWESOME!

Kittehserf
Kittehserf

My sister’s computer doesn’t have the plug-ins to run it (heh … Firefox tells me this while Internet Explorer just sits there like a lump) and I’m not going to install them without her permission, so I’ll have to wait, like I suspected.

Does perimenopausal count for the aged crone club?

Argenti Aertheri

Kitteh — ok, that’s just weird. What plugin is it saying it needs?

And yeah, it’s huge, I suggest hitting load and getting coffee if you’re on slow net.

Argenti Aertheri

Ok, try this first — infogr.am/jQuery-cache-test

I think part of the load time problem is that they’re using an older version of jQuery and while damned near everyone has the google jQuery library cached, google’s a version ahead of them. So that link is basically a blank page that should *crosses fingers* cache the right version of jQuery in a more reasonable time frame.

Argenti Aertheri

Go me! I can sort out who’s on what version of jQuery, but not type a fucking link!

Here — http://infogr.am/jQuery-cache-test

Kittehserf
Kittehserf

It just says missing plugins, no more details than that. I only installed Firefox this morning to see if it was IE or the shitty connection that’s making this machine so wiggy. (Answer: a bit of both, plus sister hasn’t even had antivirus software installed or cleaned the disk – two Gb of unnecessary files! – so it’s prolly going to be crap regardless.)