Uncategorized

The Man Boobz Survey Results are in!

haUp66D

So the Man Boobz survey results are in, and Argenti Aertheri, who ran the survey, has taken the time and effort to make an impressive set of interactive charts to display the data in all of its gory details. You can find that chart below — thanks again, Argenti! — but I thought I’d highlight a few of the results first.

Let’s start with the white elephant in the room. I know I’ve made some somewhat rude remarks in the past about the high percentage of white people in the Men’s Rights subreddit.

Well, it turns out that the Man Boobz readership is even whiter than that. Yep. Using the same somewhat limited set of choices used by the dude who did the Men’s Rights subreddit survey, the MB survey found that the readership of this blog is nearly 92% white, and less than 2% each Asian, Hispanic and Black, with the remainder answering “Other.”

There is also a more complicated breakdown of ethnicities, based on a more nuanced set of questions, that I’m not even going to try to summarize; you can look through the charts yourself.

But, basically, yeah, this blog’s readership, like me, is pretty darn white. I  take these results as an indication that I need to do a better job dealing with issues of race and racism. While this blog is primarily about misogyny, there is plenty of racism in the manosphere — from the white-supremacism-lite of Heartiste to the fetishization of Asian women as submissive — and it’s worth pointing this out on a more regular basis, as well as addressing some of the more subtle ways misogyny intersects with other forms of oppression. As well as the ways in which the standard (non) issues of the Men’s Rights movement can actually serve to obscure the very real issues faced by men of color. (See yesterday’s post for a perfect example of that.)

So what are some of the other notable results?

You’re all younger than me. Well, not literally ALL of you. In fact, there are a whole 4% of you older than me.

But the fact is that if you’re reading this, the chances are really, really, really good that you’re in your twenties or early thirties. Still, I feel fairly confident in saying that eventually you will be as old as I am now.

Also, it’s pretty likely that you’re a lady. Most of the readers of the blog — 59% — are cis women, with 30% cis men. The remaining 11 percent are made up of trans* women (2.2%), trans* men (0.9%), intersex (o.2%), “non-binary” (5.2%) and “other” (2.5%).

See the interactive charts below for a much more detailed breakdown of the data on gender and sexuality.

We’re a bunch of pinkos. More Man Boobzers identified themselves with Democratic Socialism than with any other political label. The second and third place winners in this category? “Other US Liberalism” and “Social Democratism.”

The sun never sets on the Man Boobz empire. Predictably, most Man Boobz readers — roughly 58% —  live in the United States. And there are lots of Man Boobzers in other English-speaking countries around the world, particularly the UK, Canada, and Australia.

But Man Boobz attracts readers in a lot of places where English speakers are in a minority. I was a little surprised to find that there are twice as many Boobzers in Germany, for example, than in New Zealand, and that there are nearly as many in Iceland as in Ireland. There are readers in countries ranging from Argentina to El Salvador, from Jordan to Japan.

There are all sorts of other intriguing factoids to be found in the survey results, from a rather complicated slicing-and-dicing of religious beliefs to answers to the critical question: how many of you are actually me?

If you don’t have Flash, go here to see the charts in all their glory.  See here for the footnotes and survey questions and raw data.

If you’re not a regular commenter here, this will help you to make sense of some of the silly in-jokes at the end of the survey.

One last note: The survey doesn’t tell us what percentage of Man Boobz readers consider themselves feminists or, ick, Men’s Rightsers. I’m going to do a quick followup survey on that in an upcoming post.

[gigya src=”http://cdn.tagul.com/cloud.swf” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” width=”600″ height=”600″ flashvars=”id=173603@1&name=iFrame%20Test”]

inurashii
inurashii

Yeah, I’m not altogether too surprised. Intersectionality is a thing that a lot of progressives have trouble achieving, and as a group of people primarily interested in entertaining ourselves we don’t necessarily do a whole lot of outreach.

At least we try to own our shit, though, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen an MRA do.

Mongoose
Mongoose

That is pretty awesome! Great work making it all so easy to read. And thanks for the free hug.

OccupyMedic
OccupyMedic

Ahh yes, fun with intentionality. It’s often the sticking point for many a ‘progressive’ group. Learning to recognize your own unconscious privileged is hard work. And when I say ‘your’, I mean ‘mine’. As a cis white guy, I have to constantly work on it… I wonder… If I did a workshop, do you think JTO would attend?

OccupyMedic
OccupyMedic

Stupid spell check… First sentence should read “Fun with INTERSECTIONALITY….. 🙂

hellkell
hellkell

In B4 someone says that because we’re so white, we’re just a racist as the MRM. I hope that someone is banned, I can’t take another 1,000+ comments of his.

Yellaine
Yellaine

My comments so far:
I didn’t excepted such a big number of bi/pan/omni sexual people, especially compared to gays/lesbians
1/4 didn’t want to answer on their current relationship!
The disabilities of 100% of the people without disability are invisible. ^^

Dvärghundspossen

I sort of stumbled into reading blogs by black feminists from Star Trek. I somehow got there by this discussion of Uhura in the new movies. Some white feminists had argued that it was sad how she had been reduced to a love interest, and then some black feminists were like “Hey, that love interest role? Pretty much always occupied by a white chick, whereas the black woman is reduced to sassy black friend or some of the other few roles permitted to black women. It’s pretty fucking cool that a black woman get to be “the hot girl” and the love interest!” And this seems to be a fairly common theme among black feminists… How white feminists go, for instance “as a girl you’re taught through fairy tales that you’re job is to be pretty and attract a prince” whereas it’s really just white girls who are taught that; black girls are taught that pretty and loveable means ‘white’ and that the princess role doesn’t apply to them.

And STILL I probably do this myself all the time: Going “this and that is a fairly universal female experience” when it’s really just a white female experience. But, um, trying to learn anyway.

bma
bma

>I was a little surprised to find that there are twice as many Boobzers in Germany, for example, than in New Zealand

Well, Germany has twenty times the population of New Zealand, so is it really so surprising?

Hyena Girl
Hyena Girl

Mind you, this comes from the (in no special order) 40-ish white (sometimes, Romany so mileage may vary), trans female, lower middle class, graduate educated, bisexual. atheist, combat veteran.

girlscientist
girlscientist

Maybe you could get a non-white guest-poster who could mock mysogyny from their point of view? Or maybe get people from other countries mock their national flavour of mysogyny. I know I enjoy reading things by people who have a different frame of reference than mine and it would be nice sometimes to get a post on non-US or non-UK issues.

sarahlizhousespouse

“And this seems to be a fairly common theme among black feminists… How white feminists go, for instance “as a girl you’re taught through fairy tales that you’re job is to be pretty and attract a prince” whereas it’s really just white girls who are taught that; black girls are taught that pretty and loveable means ‘white’ and that the princess role doesn’t apply to them. ”

This reminds me of a discussion I watched playing out in which Kerry Washington was called a “black” Scarlett Johannson and one commenter said, “We’re not allowed to have our own identity.” I am assuming that the commenter was non-white based on the discussion.

I read that and I was floored. I was so blind to how whites can trivialize the accomplishments of anyone non-white by assuming the identity of others. I would like to see that kind of privileged racism attacked with vigor.

Yellaine
Yellaine

Yellaine
Yellaine

In correlation with the whiteness of most Manboobzers, I was surprised to see the ratio in term of religion: I expected a lot of Christians/ex-Christians and non religious people, but I didn’t expected so little Muslim people, given how big a religion it is in the world.

Elsa
Elsa

Oh, there are a whole 8 of us in Japan?? *re-lurks*

MaudeLL

Cool.

Argenti did a really good job.

Hyena Girl
Hyena Girl

I’ll second that. Amazing job Argenti.

Xanthë

Only 5 trolls? Non credo. (That’s as far as I got; infogr.am takes too long to load on this iPhone and then the browser crashes. Also, no hover sounds like it takes out a lot of the fun, so I’ll have to look at this on a proper computer.)

Karalora
Karalora

The disabilities of 100% of the people without disability are invisible. ^^

That’s good; it means none of us are non-disabled but faking disability in order to get good parking spaces or seats at the front of the bus.

La Strega

No big surprises for me here, although I was happy to see almost thirty percent of the readership were cis males.

bodycrimes

Lots of us ex-pats in Germany!

La Strega

Well, I WAS surprised that I was sooooo old compared to the vast majority here. Where are the other post-menopausal crones?

SittieKitty

That’s amazing! Thanks so much Argenti, this was so much work and it’s awesome.

carswell
carswell

One right here La Strega. LOL – there are a couple of us at least.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

Three cheers for Argenti, who did such a great job collecting and collating the data!

Pam
Pam

Another one right here, La Strega!

And a round of applause for Argenti!!

Argenti Aertheri

Thanks guys!

“In B4 someone says that because we’re so white, we’re just a racist as the MRM.”

If we get someone complaining about that, tell ’em to skip to the section near the end about statistics — we’ve very white, but there’s no correlation between ethnicity and feeling accepted here.

“You know. I suppose I should have suggested we add veteran status to the original survey just to confuse people and to add another factor.”

*grumble* not only did I remember active military, but pecunium was one of my guinea pigs. Sorry for missing that!

“I need the correlation between people who are David and people who are penguin whore, as is it’s not clear.”

I would say I just dragged my lazy ass out of bed, but I haven’t actually stood up yet! I’ll run that at some point today 🙂 (and then probably add it and ask David to make a note about the update…this one I can edit still)

“Only 5 trolls? Non credo.”

Well, my method I ftr ill detection wouldn’t have caught trolls who gave answers within the normal range of answers. So if, say, Mr. Al answered honestly? His data would still be there. But it’d have been impossible to figure that out without having to drop legit answers. Was teasing pecunium that he’s a troll cuz he’s an outlier — most people checked two employment options, him, some stay at home parents, and a bunch of students checked 3, and I definitely didn’t want to decide that all disabled (un)employed students are trolls!

And click on iDevices, I’ll add that note too. (Can’t help with the fact it’s fucking huge though!)

——

There exactly one time I actually yelled “holy shit” at my data — the relationship between mental disabilities and acceptance in general. And I expected it, cuz *waves from the crazy corner*, but we really do not feel accepted by society at large.

And on that note, if anyone wants to see anything like that data (e.g. The number of people with mental disabilities who checked strongly disagree, disagree, etc) make a very specific request and I’ll put it in the google docs spreadsheet. There’s just a mind boggling amount of data, so doing all of it would be obscene, but ask and I shall oblige!

——

In completely unsurprising things, cats won the coveted favorite animal.

arubakeru
arubakeru

Thank you Argenti. You’re awesome!

Argenti Aertheri

“method I ftr ill detection”

Thank you auto-correct! >.<

That should say "method for troll detection"

dsfrogs
dsfrogs

This survey is the best thing I ever seen in my life. EVER.

Thank you, Argenti, that seems like a lot of work. 0_0

ashley
ashley

I don’t think comparing the whiteness of manboobz to that of the men’s rights subreddit is all that fair, since the MR subreddit is an actual main site of their movement to discuss men’s issues while this, while written from a feminist perspective, is just a fun satire blog. A better comparison I think would be between the MR subreddit and, I dunno, feministing? That way its closer to like vs like rather than satire blog vs movement HQ. Nevertheless broadening the satire here to be relevant to a more diverse group of ppl is always good 🙂 I never even noticed before how white the issues joked about on manboobz are!

Argenti: Fantastic job!

entropistanon

La Strega: I was also happy to note that 30% of the readership were cis male. It gives me hope, knowing that male readership isn’t few in its percentage.

freemage
freemage

Magnificent work. Only one thing confuses me–why would a female penguin whore be giving away free hugs? Wouldn’t she be charging for them? Or is it like drugs–your first internet penguin hug is free, until you get hooked, and THEN they start charging you?

freemage
freemage

And I second the suggestion of non-white guest bloggers, David, esp. on those days/weeks when you’ve got a lot going on. Someone giving us a WoC perspective would be an excellent start.

Ally S

Nice job Argenti ^_^

Discordia
Discordia

yay! Argenti: the survey looks great!

freshlysqueezedcynic
freshlysqueezedcynic

Dvärghundspossen:

Great point. Sort of ties in to one of the big moments of the original Star Trek being the kiss between Uhura and Kirk (although it’s quite problematic in that they are being “forced” to kiss by weird psychic aliens)

(long time lurker, first time commenter)

Shadow
Shadow

Holy shit Argenti, that was amazing!! I thought the amount of data you were collecting was unbelievable enough, but the amount of processing may be even more impressive.

Quick question, I couldn’t find hinduism on the charts even though I know you had it in the survey. Dunno, if I just missed it or it was filed under other or something.

Re: the whiteness of manboobz. I’d be interested to know how many POC readers are regulars vs lurkers. Also, gender breakdown of POC regulars vs lurkers

pecunium

I actually had a good idea of the national breakdown from wordpress data. When I link a story here I get a moderately consistent spike of readers, and I can see country data.

S’funny, I sort of noticed the lack of veteran, as a category, but it was in employment, so it didn’t rise to the level of, “this ought to be in there (since retirees are outliers in the services).

becausescience
becausescience

Agree, it’s not really an equivalent comparison. I’d also imagine the group of people who even know about the mansophere, either because they’re involved in it or because they’re critical of it, would be disproportionately white, so it’s not surprising that a blog mocking the mansophere would be. Still, it’s interesting to see a breakdown of Manboobzers.

Thanks, Argenti!

Alice
Alice

It’s funny you bring up intersectionality. Over on The Spearhead they were discussing the Zimmerman trial, and some tool mentioned how everyone on Manboobz was upset about the verdict. Then another tool chimes in “why do they care about the Zimmerman trial, it has nothing to do with misogyny!” *facepalm*

The MRM is so myopic it can’t fathom that feminists care about issues other than those that directly affect cis white women. Yeah, some heavy duty projecting there. What’s new.

MEZ
MEZ

Interesting survey. Seems most people are lurkers like me. Delurking to say thanks Argenti!

I’m not surprised that cats are the most popular considering how “macho” the manboobz inhabitants are. As I was bravely informed by a recent episode of MTV2’s the Man Code, real men can’t own cats! A man can be a MMA fighter, but if he owns a cat he’s a wimp! CATZ R MISANDRY!!!

(Ok the episode didn’t say the last part. 😉 )

cloudiah

Argenti, the original survey was incredibly thorough while still being sort enough to get through in a reasonable time frame AND it was funny enough to make me chortle aloud a few times. And your presentation of the results is very clear even for non stats folks like me AND again funny enough to make me chortle aloud a few times.

I am impress. You are A W E S O M E.

cloudiah

And I’m waving at all the lurkers! This would be a good thread to say hi and introduce yourselves, even if you don’t plan to comment a lot.

Hi MEZ! Please grab your welcome package here.

leftwingfox

Incredible job, Argenti.

I have to agree with the disappointment that there isn’t more presence by various people of colour here (not that my pasty white ass is helping the percentages). I hope we can improve that in the future.

dustydeste
dustydeste

All I can say is that I’m floored. This is beautiful.

MEZ
MEZ

Thanks for the welcome package cloudiah! I made it my desktop background for extra MISANDRY!

Unfortunately my real life kitties are at my moms thanks in part to my 3 RL spoiled brat parakeets. Question; would the keets also imbibe me with their misandry as they are birds like penguins? I’m still new to how this works.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Oh, and… tbh, OccupyMedic, if you held a workshop, I might actually be afraid to attend because of the chance of JTO showing up (to be a buttfaced heckling douche, because actually examining his privilege would cause him to shrivel up like the Wicked Witch of the West). Dude gives me the megacreeps.

Alice
Alice

@MEZ

Well, that depends, have your parakeets renounced prostitution in all it’s forms?

Thanks for the link, Cloudiah.

M Dubz
M Dubz

This was so cool, Argenti. Thanks!

1 2 3 7