a voice for men antifeminism FemRAs imaginary backwards land imaginary oppression irony alert ladies against women misogyny MRA on the tv oppressed white men racism

Fox News lends a hand to the White Men’s Rights Movement

Suzanne Venker: White Men's Rights Activist
Suzanne Venker: White Men’s Rights Activist

In a case of spectacularly bad timing, Fox News happened to choose the day before the Zimmerman verdict was handed down to publish an op-ed proclaiming “the White American Male” to be the most oppressed creature on Planet Earth. In a piece entitled “Men — The New Second Class Citizens,” professional antifeminist Suzanne Venker declared that

From boyhood through adulthood, the White American Male must fight his way through a litany of taunts, assumptions and grievances about his very existence. His oppression is unlike anything American women have faced.

What is revealing about this quote, besides its complete disconnection from reality, is that Venker makes no other references to race in the rest of her piece, which runs through a number of tiresome and oh-so-familiar MRA talking points about the alleged oppression of men.

Venker complains about schools being biased towards girls, from grade schools that force students to sit still to colleges with their infernal Title IX. She whines about “sit coms and commercials that portray dad as an idiot.”

Quoting antifeminist psychologist Helen Smith, a friend of and sometime contributor to A Voice for Men, she suggests that women can get their boyfriends or husbands locked up on a whim just by claiming abuse.

I’m surprised she didn’t talk about the evils of “friend zoning.”

But when Venker refers to “men” in all of these complaints, she is evidently thinking only of white men — why else would she switch so seamlessly from talking about the alleged oppression of “men” to proclaiming “the White American Male” the ultimate victim?

There’s really no other word for this than, well, racist.

The day after Fox published Venker’s nonsense, we were of course reminded (as if any of us really needed to be reminded) of the very real oppression faced by “the Black American Male.”

Trayvon Martin didn’t die because he happened to see a show featuring a bumbling sitcom dad. He died because George Zimmerman saw a young black man in a hoodie walking home from the store and assumed, apparently because Martin was young and black and wearing a hoodie, that he was up to something sinister.

Trayvon Martin didn’t die because he was male; he died because he was a black male. His killer walked free not because his victim was male, but because his victim was a black male.

Suzanne Venker did us all a favor by revealing the unconscious racism underlying so many Men’s Rights complaints. The Men’s Rights movement is not only a movement that is overwhelmingly made up of white men; it’s a movement that’s almost exclusively about white men, and their largely imaginary oppressions, as well. We might as well call it the White Men’s Rights Movement.

Owl Cake
Owl Cake

I’m one of those oppressed American White Males, and let me tell you, it’s awful. I mean, the cops pull me over for speeding and don’t even ask whether I have guns or drugs in the car. I apply for a job and the hiring manager just assumes I don’t have a criminal record, as if you could tell someone’s not a criminal just by looking at their skin.

People don’t grope me on the metro, people don’t make creepy comments about my ass at work, and people act as if I have a right to live in the United States and do whatever I want. If I were assaulted, sexually or otherwise, people would assume my attacker is in the wrong, and not ask me “but what did you do to provoke this attack? Weren’t you asking for it?” Whereas, if I assaulted someone, I would get the benefit of the doubt – maybe she was just lying and exaggerating what I did to her, maybe he was provoking me, maybe he started the fight. People practically act as if I can do no wrong.

This is what oppression is like, people!

/sarcasm

DoubleDogDarrow

I’m constantly confused as to HOW modern classrooms are worse for boys than the 1950s classroom. My father went to Catholic schools and was constantly getting wrapped on the knuckles for talking, moving, not paying attention, etc. If anything classrooms today are more friendly towards activity than they used to be. Instead of rote memorization many classrooms use tactile learning and stations (i.e. to learn math they will count out m&ms at one station, do a worksheet at another station, and then a word problem at a third station).

I just never know where the idea that classrooms used to be great for boys because they could run and jump and play came from. Sitting still and following directions has always been a major part of the education system. This isn’t new.

BigMomma
BigMomma

Argenti….signed.

Jayem Griffin

@guffaw-ferrets, so many kittehs! I should report that the inferior beta male whom I am only dating for his money and White Knighting abilities will soon be inducted as a servant of the Feminist Furrinati. I shall share evidence of our triumph with the Hivemind.

(non-MRA translation: My boyfriend is getting a kitten and I promise to provide pictures!)

hippodameia8527
hippodameia8527

Happy to sign.

In middle school I had a math teacher who announced the first day of class that while a girl might be the top student, the boys would generally do better than the girls in class. In high school I had an English teacher who told me that women don’t write at the college level, and a science teacher who pushed his anti-choice views in class because SCIENCE!

Not really seeing how this was favorable treatment . . .

shadists
Reply to  Owl Cake

I feel your pain… it’s not easy being white, male… gods I hope you don’t have to carry the weight of being heterosexual of the appropriate approved religion(s). 😉

pollydactyl

In fourth grade, I once had a teacher react with surprise at how good I was at science and math. She told me that girls are hardly ever good at science at math. If I wasn’t the type of person who tries harder when you tell me I can’t do something, I would probably have given up on science and math right then. But now I’m studying biology at an excellent university.

Yoyo
Yoyo

Polydactyl, I totally understand, my aspiring middle class parents were still sure that the best I could be was a librarian. Nothing like low expectations to make you angry enough to do better, until recently I have held many high rating positions in a number of technical fields (and I still love librarians).

guffaw-ferrets
guffaw-ferrets

Theoretical question: if a man loves cats a lot, like A LOT a lot — as in, has hand-raised several kittens and is given to posting many pictures/videos of all kinds of cats (including many of his own kittens and one of a basket full of someone else’s kittens) to his social media account every single day …

but he often labels these pictures “pussy”, as in “see how much I love pussy” …

is he way alpha, or totes a beta mangina?

This may also relate to the weekend’s cunnilingus conversation, so the answer is probably too complicated for me (a mere woman) to understand.

Jayem, congrats on the impending addition to your family : D

pollydactyl

Yoyo-So true! I’ve also done really well at university partly because my stepdad told I wouldn’t be able to make it in college. I was too stupid and irresponsible to take care of myself and get good grades. I’m happy to say he was very, very wrong.

Another thing that has happened to be in school that favors male students is when the teacher asks a question and I raise my hand to answer. I answer correctly but get told I’m not quite right. Then a male student raises his hand, gives exactly the same answer I gave, and gets praised for giving such a good answer. It makes me so mad.

augochlorella
augochlorella

This. It makes me so angry when it happens. I’ve gotten pretty good at pointing out to my professors when it happens to others, but it’s not often I get the same support when it happens to me.

Nahida

I’m confused. Did boys not sit at desks before feminism?

sarahlizhousespouse

@Nahida
Careful, there’s a Tom Martin joke lurking there.

theseventhguest
theseventhguest

It was the other students that got me instead of the teachers. Apparently taking auto shop so as not to end up stranded by the side of the road makes me a lesbian? In electronics, I was actually told, “I don’t need help from a Girl Scout!” when I was asked for help on a project by the first person he had asked for help, my male lab partner.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

“she suggests that women can get their boyfriends or husbands locked up on a whim just by claiming abuse.”
If men were being locked up for DV, there would be less violent crime. I don’t see how devaluing and disbelieving victims does anything other than enable abusers to step up their violence.

Freemage
Freemage

Argenti: Signed, and will be signed by the Lady Faire once she gets online tomorrow night.

Brain-Bleach for the weary:

This kid is my new hero. 12 years old, fighting a theofascist regime, and, oh, by the way, knows what the fuck a tehofascist regime IS. This kid’s toenail clippings have more activist spirit than every MRA to ever walk the earth.

mildlymagnificent

Happy to sign.

As for those boys having to sit still. I’m old enough to remember the 1950s primary school routine of boys not sitting still being sent to the headmaster for a few strokes of the cane – or, much more often, being threatened with those consequences.

Of course, Miss Martin in gr 5 didn’t need any such namby-pamby referrals. She had a ruler which was a souvenir of a trip – had samples of wood from trees in some region or other, it looked to be nearly half an inch thick on on side to a nervous nellie, goody two shoes like me. She just cracked it across any offending knuckles she happened to notice – mostly the boys.

Ally S

@Freemage

I watched that video too. That kid’s awesome.

By the way, his language seems very precocious in the translation, but he’s just speaking Modern Standard Arabic, which is basically a standardized variant of Arabic used for writing and formal speech.

Yoyo
Yoyo

Pollydactly and freemage, I pull my hair out when male engineers redo my measurements because womens, or when a representative whose tender I was assessing thought I was the secretary, cos writing. Arghh!

freemage
freemage

Oh, and I checked out the more recent case in Indiana. Seriously, WTF? These shitheads arrested her without any actual medical evidence. She’s been held in custody with no formal charges against her, because they’re waiting to hear the lab reports. I suppose if they discover that she in fact suffered a perfectly normal, non-induced miscarriage, they think they’ll be able to just release her and hey, no harm done, right?

I suppose it’s hardly worth noting that neither of the two women arrested for feticide on their own offspring are white?

Naturally, the feticide law was passed on a completely different pretext (charging assailants who caused a pregnant woman to miscarry against her will, which is something that I have no problem with them being charged with). Amazing, isn’t it, how they just happened to leave it worded in such a way that it could result in the mother being charged, too?

All the fucking Legos, all of ’em.

saintnick86

I’m confused. Did boys not sit at desks before feminism?

According to just about every Fe/MRA – everything bad that’s ever happened is feminism’s fault. Even the fact people died on the Titanic (nevermind “women and children first” wasn’t exactly official maritime law or anything). I even remember one other post on this blog where someone made the claim suicide didn’t exist until the 1970’s – which obviously means he has no idea a country called “Japan” used to have a ritualistic version of such.

If they had to base anything on facts or valid sources rather than ruminate on theories they pulled straight out of their ass or from Warren Farrell, they couldn’t continue to make up examples of their supposed discrimination for being males that has not been observed or documented by any other entity.

@Polydactyl & Augochorella:

Just about every guy at my school, save for myself and a few others, were the most obnoxious people to have as classmates. They’d constantly pick fights with teachers over one thing or another when not trying to converse with one another, even when across the room. It got pretty unbearable at times.

It’s also why I don’t get the “women talk too much” notion either – no one talks more loudly and as constantly as guys do (especially dude-bros). Tell them to be more considerate of others by lowering their voice? FREEZE PEACH! ‘Cause, like, freedom of speech means you can be a dickhead without dealing with the consequences…right?

The notion that “girls go on and on” seems to just come from the fact they love the sound of their own voices and are dismissive when it comes time for anyone else to speak. It always came off as something like this:

“So, like, me and my buddies went down to the lake and went water skiing – until my best friend, Tim, ended up breaking his leg when trying to do a trick. We then had to spend a bunch of hours at the hospital before we went back. After that – we got some pizza and had some beers before passing out. What about you?”
“Well, this morning after I got up–”
“Goddamn – you’re boring me, bitch!”

It’s the classically hypocritical “when I do it, it’s fine – when you do it, it’s wrong. Just ’cause.” mentality.

pollydactyl

saintnick86-I think not only is it hypocrisy is the only reason it’s okay when guys talk a lot, it’s also based on an assumption that nothing a woman says is ever anything important. But when men are talking, it’s the most important thing ever!

Yoyo
Yoyo

Saint Nick, my daughter is running into this at school . Her teacher has no control in the classroom and the boys run wild, firing lit spray cans at each other and fighting yet the girls get told off for wearing jeans in winter. Only the boys are allowed pants.

cloudiah

Can we not link “low expectations” to becoming a librarian (or nurse, or teacher, or any other “traditionally female” job)? It’s fine if it’s not your thing, but preferring the sciences doesn’t mean the sciences are objectively more challenging, or fulfilling, or whatever. I’m not mad; I just think it’s sloppy thinking.

(Not to mention that those of us who can choose jobs/fields because they are challenging or fulfilling are a tiny minority of people on the planet.)

(And not to take away that women are definitely steered into/away from certain fields, which sucks, but doesn’t make those fields inherently worse or better.)

(Parenthetically yours, cloudiah.)

eumenidis
eumenidis

Excuse me, men face oppression worse than anything women ever faced? Being too young to personally remember, or never having been personally affected by sexual discrimination in education, employment, etc. is no excuse for supposedly educated women to display such profound ignorance of recent history & social conditions.

pollydactyl

Cloudiah-You’re right. I’m sorry.

Jason
Jason

“Trayvon Martin didn’t die because he was male; he died because he was a black male.”

Can you honestly argue that if it had been Trayvona, a black 17-year-old female walking down the street instead of Trayvon, George Zimmerman would have shot her, or given her a second glance? Yes, Trayvon’s race made him more of a target. So did his gender. The stereotype is about “angry black men,” after all, not angry black women.

In any oppressed group, the males bear the brunt of the hatred. They’re usually portrayed as lustful, violent, animalistic bastards.My fellow Jews in Nazi Germany were portrayed in a similar way. What does feminism do? Extend this to all men. It’s not just Jewish or black or Latino men who are violent rapists, now. It’s all men. And you call this liberalism?

We MRAs have a good deal of compassion for men of minority groups; they provide a perfect example of why we need to address men’s issues. Just as blacks get longer prison sentences than whites, men get longer prison sentences than women. Just as blacks are more likely than whites to be seen as criminals or evildoers, men are more likely than women to be seen as criminals or evildoers. “Shrodinger’s Rapist” might have been published as “Schrodinger’s Negro” a hundred years ago, as a pamphlet warning young white women of the danger they faced. Why was Emmett Till murdered again? For flirting with a white woman. You feminists chip away at due process for those accused of rape. Your desire – to protect women from the dangerous force of male sexuality, no matter how many men are demonized in the process – is the same. The only thing you do differently is target black and white men roughly equally, and clothe your essentially conservative actions in the language of liberalism and social justice.

On Bill Maher the other day, I saw Cornel West talk about how being criminalized is a form of murder in and of itself. As a fellow male, I can sympathize.

The Trayvon Martin verdict started a discussion about race. It should do the same for gender. Racism is, by its very nature, misandry. And until we acknowledge that fact, there will be many more Trayvon Martins and Emmett Tills.

Don’t say we didn’t warn you.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m sure that MOC are so happy that you’re willing to use them as an “example”.

cloudiah

And right on cue, an MRA decides to appropriate the issues faced by people of color in the US. Is there a bingo square for this?

(pollydactyl, no worries; we’re all good.)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m not sure if the takeaway of “if you don’t give MRAs what we want then we white men will keep killing black men” was intentional or if Jason is just suffering from the usual MRA literacy problems and doesn’t realize that he implied that by structuring his rant the way he did.

pollydactyl

Chew toys have shown up! Yay!
Cloudiah-I have only recently stopped thinking that I am better than “the other girls” because of choices I made, so I appreciate you calling me out when I started thinking like that again. I really want to stop thinking like that.

cloudiah

Seriously, Google “Marissa Alexander” and tell us she got that sentence primarily because she was a woman, and not because she was black. I am SO glad that feminists increasingly are at least partially aware of the incredibly complicated nature of this shit.

Jason is a fucking idiot.

Ally S

How about you actually understand the notion of Schrodinger’s Rapist before you make bullshit claims like that?

Jason
Jason

No, Cassandra, I’m warning you that if we don’t address certain social issues now, more bad things like this will continue to happen. And when men of color are done being insulted by you feminists comparing your “oppression” to theirs, they can take a little of the time left over to be insulted by me.

cloudiah

Wait, Jason just said that when feminists were done insulting men of color, it was his turn to insult them.

He’s … not very smart, is he?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Oh, it’s the “argue with the imaginary feminists” portion of today’s stupid troll show.

cloudiah

(Not to mention there are actual black feminists, but I don’t want to totally blow his little mind.)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ cloudiah

Jason thinks that “intersectionality” is what happens when multiple freeways meet at an overpass.

sarahlizhousespouse

@ Jason
“And when men of color are done being insulted by you feminists comparing your “oppression” to theirs, they can take a little of the time left over to be insulted by me.”

Please clarify. Are you saying that feminists can be insulted by you or are you saying MOC can be insulted by you?

cloudiah

And by “to insult them” I mean of course “to insult men of color” which is what Jason’s sentence construction means

So, Jason, can you explain why men of color should take a little of the time left over to be insulted by you?

Jason
Jason

Oh, it’s the “taking quotes out of context” portion of today’s stupid feminist show.

Jason
Jason

I think any fair reading of my comment would see my point. So, will you argue with the style, or the substance?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Originality doesn’t seem to be Jason’s strong point.

cloudiah

JASON, THE CONTEXT IS ALL RIGHT HERE. THIS IS THE CONTEXT. OUT OF CONTEXT WOULD REQUIRE GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE. PLEASE LOOK UP THE WORD CONTEXT.

pollydactyl

Jason-We can’t figure out your context. That is why several people have asked you to clarify.

anadiomene122
anadiomene122

I second this. I see this attitude in scientists all the time and it drives me batty.

Some of the smartest people I’ve ever met, the best conversationists, the people whom I’ve learned the most from in life, and who have made gigantic contributions to society have been journalists, lawyers, housewives, people who never got a degree, bellhops, whatever.

Jason
Jason

I’m familiar with the notion of “intersectionality,” thank you very much. And that’s exactly what black men should be insulted by. They were taken from their homes, deprived of names, shipped across the sea in chains, worked to death, punished brutally if they disobeyed, forced to live under a system of apartheid for a century after being freed, and still face inequality in many aspects of life. And now they have to hear feminists say, “We’re oppressed just like black men! Someone asked me out in an elevator and respected me when I turned him down!”

sarahlizhousespouse

@Jason
There’s this stereotype about black women, perhaps you’ve heard of it, it’s called Jezebel. It means that black women are often perceived as lascivious and overly-sexual. Now, does that stereotype support the demonization of men or the demonization of blacks?

Please note that I am framing this discussion in your selected terms.

saintnick86

Good point, Polly. When I’ve talked with my other guy friends, it was common to hear one of them mention how women just “talk about stupid shit.”

Of course, considering a lot of conversations I’ve had – guys talk “stupid shit” as well. I’ve never been fond of televised sports and hearing other guys obsess over the stats of athletes we won’t remember 20 years from now befuddles me. None of it is exactly important and yet they put a ton of energy and investment into it as if it did. I might read comics and play videogames – but at least I can admit to enjoy such as entertainment and not as some de facto social ritual I feel obligated to care about because everyone else does.

Besides, a lot of that “stupid shit” is actual meaningful…it’s just that guys don’t want to come off as emotionally open. It seems – in most groups of dudes – the only valid behavior is to either be angry, pick on others for their weaknesses, or being an arrogant show-off. Talking about your personal issues for psychological catharsis and peer support? Totally off the table. Bringing it up was like putting albatrosses around your neck. Makes sense why I prefer talking to women more these days – my guy friends made chatting into either a debate or contest out of the silliest things and made it forbidden to be deep and sincere (’cause you don’t want to ruin their buzz) about anything. It’s not fun to talk to someone while also have to walk on egg-shells…

I do not want to assume, but is it a private school? Given how absurd it is to tell someone they can’t wear pants during the winter – that was my guess. They’re sticklers for the dress code and even the slightest deviation (perhaps wearing a t-shirt under the jacket) isn’t tolerated, as if it really matters at all (it doesn’t). The fact they still expect girls to wear skirts even in colder areas is utterly preposterous and pretty fucking backwards culturally. I’m sure corporate office buildings let their female employees wear pants if they wish, and they’re not exactly the most progressive places either.