a voice for men antifeminism FemRAs imaginary backwards land imaginary oppression irony alert ladies against women misogyny MRA on the tv oppressed white men racism

Fox News lends a hand to the White Men’s Rights Movement

Suzanne Venker: White Men's Rights Activist
Suzanne Venker: White Men’s Rights Activist

In a case of spectacularly bad timing, Fox News happened to choose the day before the Zimmerman verdict was handed down to publish an op-ed proclaiming “the White American Male” to be the most oppressed creature on Planet Earth. In a piece entitled “Men — The New Second Class Citizens,” professional antifeminist Suzanne Venker declared that

From boyhood through adulthood, the White American Male must fight his way through a litany of taunts, assumptions and grievances about his very existence. His oppression is unlike anything American women have faced.

What is revealing about this quote, besides its complete disconnection from reality, is that Venker makes no other references to race in the rest of her piece, which runs through a number of tiresome and oh-so-familiar MRA talking points about the alleged oppression of men.

Venker complains about schools being biased towards girls, from grade schools that force students to sit still to colleges with their infernal Title IX. She whines about “sit coms and commercials that portray dad as an idiot.”

Quoting antifeminist psychologist Helen Smith, a friend of and sometime contributor to A Voice for Men, she suggests that women can get their boyfriends or husbands locked up on a whim just by claiming abuse.

I’m surprised she didn’t talk about the evils of “friend zoning.”

But when Venker refers to “men” in all of these complaints, she is evidently thinking only of white men — why else would she switch so seamlessly from talking about the alleged oppression of “men” to proclaiming “the White American Male” the ultimate victim?

There’s really no other word for this than, well, racist.

The day after Fox published Venker’s nonsense, we were of course reminded (as if any of us really needed to be reminded) of the very real oppression faced by “the Black American Male.”

Trayvon Martin didn’t die because he happened to see a show featuring a bumbling sitcom dad. He died because George Zimmerman saw a young black man in a hoodie walking home from the store and assumed, apparently because Martin was young and black and wearing a hoodie, that he was up to something sinister.

Trayvon Martin didn’t die because he was male; he died because he was a black male. His killer walked free not because his victim was male, but because his victim was a black male.

Suzanne Venker did us all a favor by revealing the unconscious racism underlying so many Men’s Rights complaints. The Men’s Rights movement is not only a movement that is overwhelmingly made up of white men; it’s a movement that’s almost exclusively about white men, and their largely imaginary oppressions, as well. We might as well call it the White Men’s Rights Movement.

LBT
LBT

RE: Argenti

One of the unfinished MS Paint doodles on my computer is Specialist Grey accidentally getting one of Christian Grey’s phone calls. It never got finished, but I was entertained anyway.

Argenti Aertheri

I’m having a hard time picturing Grey answering the phone in the first place.

LBT
LBT

RE: Argenti

He can. He has some social scripts in his head to fall back on; it’s mostly when he’s obligated to actually speak original content that he goes to pieces.

dustydeste
dustydeste

@Argenti: Oh! I didn’t realize that! That’s pretty fun 🙂 I had only picked up on the “silver” bit… but then, I never did much of anything touching on Latin, so I’ll excuse myself for not being omniscient, haha.

Fatman
Fatman

Zardoz is up there with Barbarella and The Falls. One of the greatest pieces of art of the 20th century.

Argenti Aertheri

dustydeste — Aertheri is misspelt anyways, but like I said the other day, I can’t say æther, and can say it with the typo’ed R so it stuck.

LBT — makes sense.

It’s still too hot. Wtf happened to my weather forecast’s thunderstorm?

pecunium

Waterboys show was great. Makes me wish I was a little older so I could have seen The Who. Am still sort of floating. I had a couple of whistles with me, and jammed along on a couple of tunes. No one complained, so I guess I didn’t suck.

Argenti Aertheri

Aw, so I misread floating as tipsy and you won’t be joining me?

Guys, I broke out the whiskey. I kinda doubt I’ll manage to get funny drunk before I pass out (I thought my sleeping pill would do the trick, it didn’t, so I can’t exactly get too hammered)

I shall not make is error tomorrow night, but for now…*passes around the whiskey*

Please be safe around alcohol and sleeping pills!

Argenti Aertheri

Katz — it falls under the “don’t drive…” category, but no, I don’t intend to get hammered.

And there’s a beetle…3rd tonigt

Argenti Aertheri

And I lost it!

No, the goal here is not to give a shit when one inevitably crashes into my head. As that seems to be a trend lately. (Come on beetles, you want to play in my plants, fine, but my head is not a plant!)

Argenti Aertheri

And I caught it!

That puts today’s count at two June bugs and a click beetle.

mildlymagnificent

Well, reading all your too-hot-to-breathe complaints I’m almost envious. I just checked our local weather report. The temperature is 9C but the _apparent_ temperature is 4C. Who said Adelaide was hot.

And we have to go out. Daughter’s dog-sitting arrangements fell through, so we have to go and entertain her frenzied, frenetic pug. He’s as mad as a box of frogs when you first arrive. If you manage to deal with that (take him outside for a dash-about-and-tangle-yourself-in-your-own-feet stuff and all the weeing and pooing that goes on) he’ll settle down after, oh, I dunno, 4 or 5 hours. Of course, the cat disdains all this doggie hysteria. He just sets himself up somewhere the dog can’t reach, like the top of the piano, and sneeeers.

Shadow
Shadow

@Argenti

We finally got rain just a lil while ago, so I’m sure it’s gonna roll your way soon

Argenti Aertheri

That would be awesome. It’s absurdly hot. Of course, my pair of whiskey shots is settling in nicely and I’m thinking it’s nearly bedtime.

I’ve been sucked into 50 Shades of Bears featuring Specialist Cullen though. (LBT’s MST of 50 Shades of fucked up Grey)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ Historophilia

You know I’ve lived in both countries (and a few others), right? Please don’t assume that nobody who lives in the US knows what the culture is like in the UK.

Shadow
Shadow

@Argenti

I know, believe me I know. It’s been ridiculous all week. It was actually 39C in the evening, and then that blissful rain hit. Now it’s like 24 😀

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

It’s been in the 70s to low 80s here, and relatively warm at night, with a bit of breeze.

(Smug. Though I wouldn’t mind it a bit hotter.)

Kittehserf

Ah, well, weather. Left 27C in Queensland for 7C in Melbourne.

I’d rather the 7C at this time of year. Hot weather in winter is WRONG.

Argenti Aertheri

Still. Too. Hot. >.<

Someone please send cooler weather. Thank you.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

@Argenti, I would if I could, but it would come with severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings, apparently.

Argenti Aertheri

Oh no! Stay safe with those tornado warnings!

SittieKitty
SittieKitty

It’s cooler here now, but it did come with a massive storm that caused an outrageous amount of damage. I didn’t have power until 4 this morning…

Falconer

You know how the pool’s water feels so cold you have to wrestle with the question of going in slowly, or all at once?

We went to the local pool today and the water was warmer than the air.

Falconer

My babies laid back in their inflatable floats and just drifted off to sleep.

Then we got ’em home and they woke up. I tried to explain to them that they’d got it all backwards, but would they listen?

SittieKitty
SittieKitty

Babies, can’t take em anywhere without them sleeping, and then they keep you up all hours while home.

kittehserf

They’re channelling cats. If it’s perverse, do it!

Snack31
Snack31

So basically this last paragraph was ‘she was a racist so therefore anyone who agrees with her on those statements must also be a racist’.

Snack31
Snack31

make that ‘agrees with her on any of those statements’.

Shadow
Shadow

It was 32C today and we celebrated. Great White North my ass

kittehserf

32C celebration weather – eek!

Argenti Aertheri

81F here and yep, celebration time. Though Shadow “wins” (I’m so sorry, that must be horrible)

kittehserf

Snack31 – try reading it again, because you’ve missed the point. The MRM shows itself to be racist a lot of the time; this was just another example. Or are you saying it’s fine dandy to be a misogynist but that doesn’t mean one’s a (oh horror) racist as well?

Wildshape
Wildshape

Kittehself can you link us to one article where a mra makes a racist comment?

Brian L. Keener
Brian L. Keener

Hi, it’s good see feminism and it’s weak men are still lying & race baiting. You see guys i’m an Equalist & Humanist that’s not blind too your many fabricatIons and lies, lets not forget the your control over multiple governments.I know all your darkest secrets, yes that includes your true goals.Most feminism is mostly lesbian & weak minded females (not women and/or a woman) who were manipulated in every way possible into lesbianism and allot of evil & hatred while trained not too show it ever when around non-controlled men & women.Go ahead erase my comment your coward as it reveals too much about your goddesses.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Then how did you find out about it?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

(Assuming you’re not a Poe, of course. It’s so hard to parody MRAs, because no matter how ridiculous you sound, there’s an MRA who’s said something even more ridiculous)

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

(Oh goddess I’m sorry for triple posting, you guys)

Wildshape, you have great timing! Check out the most recent post.

cloudiah

On the noodly appendages of FSM, we will not delete this comment. We LOVE batting around trolls, the asshattier the better — and you, sir, are an example of prime asshat!

Please tell us more about your theories.

[cloudiah rests head on hands with a look of eager anticipation]

cloudiah

Wildshape, check these out.

Kittehself can you link us to one article where a mra makes a racist comment?

How about an entire archive?

Ninja’d pretty bad there.

kittehserf

your many fabricatIons

I want to know what a fabricatlon is.

Is it a competition to see how long a cat can lie on fabric (preferably fabric a human wants to use)?

Is it fabricating cats, and if so, does tha mean 1) cats telling fibs or 2) a mysterious factory where cats are fabricated?

Or is it just stuff like these?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Jeff
Jeff

I guess I’m racist then. I think the minorities of this country get better treatment than any white person (ladies included) with all the exclusive black colleges and college funds, affirmative action, free health care for illegals and free education along with government aid (food stamps, welfare) us white citizens are just stuck with the bill and have to try harder to get jobs and scholarships. I dont resent minorities i resent my government.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Jeff, you could’ve stopped after the first sentence.

Dan
Dan

As for “white men’s rights” it’s a shame that none of you have come out against a real problem and that is the horrible abuse Muslim women suffer at that hands of Muslim men. You’re ominously silent on THAT one.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Pop quiz! Muslim women are:
a) A handy rhetorical stick with which to beat western feminists, who don’t have it nearly as bad.
b) Helpless victims in need of (western, male) saviors.
c) A perfect excuse for xenophobia and Islamophobia masquerading as feminism.
d) Half a billion human beings, from all over the world and with the whole gamut of human experiences, and perfectly capable of advocating for themselves.

Trick question! The answer is a-c, of course!

(Also, lurk moar. I don’t want to blow your tiny little mind, but just saying “you’ve never done X” doesn’t make it true.)

LBT
LBT

RE: Dan

You act like one of our commenters wasn’t recently fleeing an abusive situation from her fundy father. (Who happened to be Muslim, which has nothing to do with his abusiveness, but apparently this is the hill you’ve chosen, Dan, the thing you require to prove we care.) We helped with that. We cared. She got away.

Gee, it’s almost like you don’t know jack shit and just wanted to feel superior!

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Jeez, what is it today with all these “Riddle me this, feminists!” trolls?

weirwoodtreehugger

Oh, Dan. This blog is for mocking the new misogyny. The manosphere, misogynists in the atheist movement, etc. It’s not for discussing every instance of misogyny. This blog doesn’t have to discuss every topic someone wants discussed. Start your own blog instead of necroing threads on this one.

And how did I miss Brian Keener. That was hilarious!