a voice for men antifeminism FemRAs imaginary backwards land imaginary oppression irony alert ladies against women misogyny MRA on the tv oppressed white men racism

Fox News lends a hand to the White Men’s Rights Movement

Suzanne Venker: White Men's Rights Activist
Suzanne Venker: White Men’s Rights Activist

In a case of spectacularly bad timing, Fox News happened to choose the day before the Zimmerman verdict was handed down to publish an op-ed proclaiming “the White American Male” to be the most oppressed creature on Planet Earth. In a piece entitled “Men — The New Second Class Citizens,” professional antifeminist Suzanne Venker declared that

From boyhood through adulthood, the White American Male must fight his way through a litany of taunts, assumptions and grievances about his very existence. His oppression is unlike anything American women have faced.

What is revealing about this quote, besides its complete disconnection from reality, is that Venker makes no other references to race in the rest of her piece, which runs through a number of tiresome and oh-so-familiar MRA talking points about the alleged oppression of men.

Venker complains about schools being biased towards girls, from grade schools that force students to sit still to colleges with their infernal Title IX. She whines about “sit coms and commercials that portray dad as an idiot.”

Quoting antifeminist psychologist Helen Smith, a friend of and sometime contributor to A Voice for Men, she suggests that women can get their boyfriends or husbands locked up on a whim just by claiming abuse.

I’m surprised she didn’t talk about the evils of “friend zoning.”

But when Venker refers to “men” in all of these complaints, she is evidently thinking only of white men — why else would she switch so seamlessly from talking about the alleged oppression of “men” to proclaiming “the White American Male” the ultimate victim?

There’s really no other word for this than, well, racist.

The day after Fox published Venker’s nonsense, we were of course reminded (as if any of us really needed to be reminded) of the very real oppression faced by “the Black American Male.”

Trayvon Martin didn’t die because he happened to see a show featuring a bumbling sitcom dad. He died because George Zimmerman saw a young black man in a hoodie walking home from the store and assumed, apparently because Martin was young and black and wearing a hoodie, that he was up to something sinister.

Trayvon Martin didn’t die because he was male; he died because he was a black male. His killer walked free not because his victim was male, but because his victim was a black male.

Suzanne Venker did us all a favor by revealing the unconscious racism underlying so many Men’s Rights complaints. The Men’s Rights movement is not only a movement that is overwhelmingly made up of white men; it’s a movement that’s almost exclusively about white men, and their largely imaginary oppressions, as well. We might as well call it the White Men’s Rights Movement.

Argenti Aertheri

Wow, he sounds like a real piece of work!

“Also Mac says he doesn’t share.”

How many times Mac, how many times?! I don’t want to know, I just don’t want to know! *waves a stylus at him* just behave would’ya?

RE: Argenti

Mac blows you a kiss and says he likes you.

Argenti Aertheri

Lol, ok, that I can deal with. Mostly because flirty gay men don’t really bother me, I tend not to be their type after all.

I’d prefer some of that legendary mac and cheese though (that is not a euphemism!)

Kittehserf
Kittehserf

Hat collections!

My knitted berets:

purple, blue and fawn
purple, red, and brown
rose pink cable stitch
mixed brown horizontal rib

Cloth/felt berets:
rose pink angora (prolly faux angora)
dark brown
forest green with brim
forest green, plain
burgundy
purple
black

Butcher-boy caps:
brown velvety stuff
fawn tweed
forest green Harris tweed

plus sundry sunhats, more or less successful, and my uber-big “it’s very red” marriage day hat

Louis’s collection:

mid-brown fedora
dark brown fedora, much like Sgt Milner’s in Foyle’s War
straw panama
red Harris tweed butcher boy cap
dark brown, ditto
forest green, ditto (yes, mine, he borrows it)
purple cable-knit beanie
burgundy-pinkish, ditto

RE: Argenti

Mac indignantly corrects that he is in fact bi, thank you. (And honestly, comes down WAY more on the women side of things. The exceptions to that rule still rank in the single-digits.)

Kitteh, do you have a picture with the straw Panama?

Argenti Aertheri

Yeah I remembered that as soon as I said it but decided not to give him cause to continue!

Typically, most of my ex’s have been bi (hey, not surprising when you consider my general refusal to fit gender norms!)

The “you’re a married man!” clause still applies though 🙂

RE: Argenti

My husband flirts with anything. It’s like his most notable characteristic. Well, that and his mac and cheese recipe. (Which he says one day he will make for you on a pile of rose petals, whatever that means.)

…Should you guys get a room?

(JK, of course. You’re cracking me up.)

RE: katz

He’s just warming up. You should see him in full cheesy swing. He WAS the cock carousel, back in the day, or so he claims.

Argenti Aertheri

Mac and cheese on rose petals only works if it’s a euphuism and I already said it wasn’t!

*waves stylus at Mac, again* you’re being a fresh one today aren’t you? Heat got your brain?

RE: Argenti

He says, “Yes! Heat… FOR YOU!”

Argenti Aertheri

Ok, now you aren’t even trying!

(To everyone else, we’ve got a RealFeel of 97 here, and it looks like LBT does too. It’s too hot to logic)

Kittehserf
Kittehserf

katz, yes, though I’m not sure I’ve one online. I’m just checking now. 🙂

We’ll be off very shortly. There’s a huge market at the Big Pineapple (yes, real name … this is Queensland after all) and then to the airport.

RE: Argenti

He tells you thanks a lot, he is now going his own way FOREVAR. Which is sorta a no shit, seeing as he’s married to me. He’s breaking into theatrical tears on my card table now, thanks a lot.

Argenti Aertheri

I can’t tell if he’s trying to be funny or a drama queen (king?)…in any case, it’s a step up from HORRIBLE PUNS! (Seriously, that level of pun, with a different context, is what I’d expect from one of the kids…sorry Mac, there’s an age limit on that being funny!)

And get off the card table, how is anyone supposed to play with you there? Hm, my turn for terrible puns I suppose, but anyone up for a round of poker?

Falconer

Mac wouldn’t happen to be a Time Agent, would he?

I’d rather play a round or two of Ninja Burger, actually. My usual Friday night group isn’t meeting because one of them lost his grandfather last weekend.

RE: Argenti

He replies, STRIP POKARRRRRR!!!!! (complete with caps and a billion bangs.)

Argenti Aertheri

Like either of us is wearing much clothing in the first place. I lose once and I’m in my underwear!

Which is the point isn’t it?

Falconer

Would y’all keep it down? You’ll wake my babies.

Argenti Aertheri

Looks like it’s too late to worry about that anyways!

Permission to throw a bucket of cold water on Mac? Not in the “down boy!” sense, but in the “it’s so hot I just stuck my head in the sink” sense.

RE: Argenti

It won’t help. The heat here isn’t actually THAT bad. What’s hurting us is the HUMIDITY. Nothing evaporates. Seriously, throwing a bucket of cold water would only work for a few seconds. Then it’d just become warm water, and then hot water.

Falconer

I suppose a cool shower would only put more water in the air.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Aaaaahhhhh baaaayyyybiiiiieeeeeeesssss <3 <3 <3

Dammit Falconer your offspring are too cute!

Falconer

Thank you dustydeste!

RE: Falconer

I’ve gotten into the habit of taking my morning walk and then taking an icy shower. (Sometimes accompanied by tearing off of the shirt and bellows of, “I HAVE BEEN REBORN IN THE BLOOD OF THE ICE GIANTS!” I’m told this is highly attractive behavior.) It’s a horrible sensation that within seconds of getting out of the shower, I am still wet, but am no longer cool.

Argenti Aertheri

Seconds? I’m getting a few minutes. And yeah, then it just mixes with sweat.

Idk when it’ll get up there, but Pittsburgh’s having a thunderstorm and it’s heading our way. If it doesn’t die and stays all Pittsburgh glorious, it should be wonderful.

Fuck. It’s humid enough my cloves keep going out. You know it’s bad when a cigarette goes out in the time it takes to type three lines!

Falconer

LOL I am totally gonna use the blood of the ice giants line some time.

I’m sorry it’s so hot. If I could send y’all some central air, I would.

LBT

Fear not. I am MSTing the g0ys and their long tortured metaphor about guns being penises and asses being holes in the ground and video games. (I HAVE NEEDS OKAY.)

Argenti Aertheri

Falconer — well at least the twinsees are nice and cool.

LBT — more MST? 🙂

Falconer

Eh, not cool so much as not burning up.

But at least the sun’s gone down here, and it’ll start cooling off.

RE: Argenti

Yup. Not the IS folks this time, just me, Mac, and (surprisingly) Sneak, who’s turning that propaganda into something about the gay zombie cyborg Satanist apocalypse.

THEY COMPARE A PENIS TO A LOADED WEAPON I CAN’T HELP IT.

Myoo
Myoo

THEY COMPARE A PENIS TO A LOADED WEAPON I CAN’T HELP IT.

That’s just silly, everybody knows that the Gun is good and the Penis is evil. The Penis shoots Seeds, and makes new Life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the Gun shoots Death and purifies the Earth of the filth of Brutals. Like, this is 101 stuff here people.

RE: Myoo

Sneak is stealing that to work into zer halfassed mythos.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Myoo, you have won my heart forevermore with that reference.

No fair, Myoo, you already won the thread once today.

Myoo
Myoo

@LBT
It’s actually a reference to Zardoz, a really bizarre movie from the 70s:

dustydeste
dustydeste

It’s actually a reference to Zardoz, a really bizarrethe best movie from the 70s

FTFY

Argenti Aertheri

LBT — oh gods, Sneak is MST’ing, this should be good!

And tell Mac he wins at strip poker, assuming he’s remotely decent to go out in public. I’ve been reduced to my underthings.

Falconer — aw, at least they’re young enough to hang out in just diapers? While the rest of us are stuck playing strip poker with ourselves?

RE: Argenti

Yeah, every once in a while, one of the kids gets in on MSTing. Gigi’s brief appearance on the 50 Shades of Bears MST was possibly the most popular part of it. (Then she got bored and wandered off.)

Enh, we’re currently reduced to shorts and just flopping in front of our AC like a miserable, sweaty dog. I’m just so glad to HAVE it.

Also, it is HOTTER here than it is in Austin. FUCK THIS NOISE.

I guess we’re tied then! And I don’t have AC >.<

Hm, I never read 50 Shades of Bears because yeah, it's…no. Did you manage to make it funny?

"Also, it is HOTTER here than it is in Austin. FUCK THIS NOISE."

That's fucking ridiculous.

RE: Argenti

According to my friends, yes, yes we somehow managed to make it funny. It got really difficult though, which was why we eventually stopped around Chapter 15. The contortions required to make it funny were just too much. Really, I think the only way I made it that far was that it was the sickest I’ve ever been in the head, and 50 Shades was the best distraction ever. I will forever be indebted to that piece of schlock, purely because it got food into my face when nothing else did.

Argenti Aertheri

So it is good for something! That’s up on your LJ? I’ll have to give it a go (I still haven’t finished Bodily Reconstruction because then I’ll be out of IS to read and NOOOOoooooooo)

RE: Argenti

Yes! And I’ve got the IS MSTing maybe half of it too.

And don’t worry, I really WILL get Thomas Gets Laid up soon. I just swore to spend some time with Mac today, so we’re MSTing g0ys instead.

LBT

Five words: 50 Shades of Specialist Grey.

dustydeste
dustydeste

I think my favorite use of Fifty Shades was having a friend read it out loud, doing Christian Bale’s Batman voice for what’s-her-face and Christopher Walken’s voice as rapey-dude. It was… unexpectedly even more hilarious than we expected.

But also I went to a comedic reading of it where they alternated with sex tips from Cosmo’s Fifty Shades edition, and that was pretty worthwhile, too.

I would still feel better about the world if those books had never gotten written, though. I’m of the opinion that all amusement derived from them is strictly of the silver-lining variety.

hellkell
hellkell

I’m so glad other areas are getting the heat and we’re not as bad as usual. Sending cool thoughts!

Argenti Aertheri

LBT — so he’s not just flirting with me, good to know! If he’s gonna be naughty, you are the appropriate receipent after all.

“Five words: 50 Shades of Specialist Grey.”

Shouldn’t that be Specialist Grey uses five words?

In any case, sounds a welcome break from OMGS IT’S TOO HOT

Dustydeste — silver lining is, more or less, what my nym means (finding “lining” in Latin turned into a headache so I went with æther since that’s basically what the inside of a cloud is)

LBT

This is the BEST song to MST g0y shit to ever. OMG. THANK YOU YOUTUBE.