all about the menz antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? drama kings entitled babies evil women I'm totally being sarcastic men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny no girls allowed playing the victim

The Last of Us: Has evil feminism ruined the zombie apocalypse?

lastof
A girl … in my video game?

So it’s true: Feminists have started ruining video games with all their feminism. At least according to some dude called pullupjumper on MGTOWforums who recently wrote a post warning his fellow red pill dudebros about a little game called The Last of Us, which is not only filled with zombies but, get this, girls.

For anyone who plays video games as one of their hobbies, The Last of Us is a pretty fun game…. but…. The feminist messages were close to ruining a game I waited a year for… The game’s setting is in a zombie apocalyptic world and the basic story (no spoilers) is that this guy has to take a 14 year old girl across the country during the zombie apocalypse. Almost as soon as the story started, I knew pretty much every female character in the game (except for the main protagonists daughter) would be portrayed as a”bad ass” character. The message was clear, women are as strong as men… Even when they are only 14.

Also, there were some adult ladies in positions of authority!

During the game , the two main characters meet different survivor groups. Every group leader was a woman. The only group leader who was a man, was a bad guy. The main protagonist even said yes ma’am, no ma’am to these women.

CAN YOU IMAGINE.

Now before you all go, but isn’t this sort of complaining a little hypocritical, given that all these video game dudes got mad when that chick Anita Sarkeesian who isn’t even a real gamer because of boobies made those videos she totally stole all that money for because IT’S ONLY A GAME, LADY JEEZ DON’T RUIN EVERYTHING WITH YOUR STUPID GENDER ANALYSIS.

Well, no, it’s not totally hypocritical because, get this, the girls in The Last of Us are portrayed as being unnaturally strong and capable.

What was pretty funny though is that the 14 year old girl is able to fire a rifle THAT IS BIGGER THAN HER and fire it accurately.

This is a clear affront to the extreme naturalism and realism of a game about a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

And clearly never before in video game history has any male character been portrayed as unnaturally strong or capable.

Yeah, this dude and his gun are totally realistic in every way.
Yeah, this dude and his gun are totally plausible.

Oh but it gets worse:

On the other hand, (not funny) another boy who was about the 14 year old girls age, was portrayed as weak, could not fight, could not shoot a gun and was just made to seem very weak. The Fems cant even leave their “girl power” out of the games.

A male character who is helpless and in need of rescue?

OH NO!

SAVE ME PRINCESS PEACH!

Happily, pullupjumper has an idea for a way to confront this creeping feminism:

Maybe, if any of you are interested, a couple of us can get together and start making our own games after these games become unbearable. What do you guys think?

Grimlock is right there with him:

I’m currently going to school for media arts and animation and am considering starting a small indy animation/film studio with a couple of guys from class. I also happen to be getting pretty good at 3d modeling … and even though i want to start with animation and film video games are my end game.

I don’t think I’d ever put an obvious message into a game, since I find pushing your belief onto others through mediums like videogames more than a little cunty, but will my games be misogynist? You better fucking believe it. Misogyny The likes of which will make duke nukem blush. I won’t need to tell you guys when I break into the industry, you’ll know it from the sheer uproar it’ll cause.

Misogyny … in video games? Now there’s a novel idea!

Oh, by the way, for new and/or extremely literal readers, I would like to point out that this post contains

sarcasm

Gillian

I watch a lot of end of the world media (it’s a weird obsession with me!) and I am by now well familiar with the ‘mitching and boaning’ that accompanies any movie, tv show, book, game, etc. that doesn’t put women into a subordinate role.

I used to really like Larry Niven until I found out what a reactionary jerk he was. I was really dismayed at that point in Lucifer’s Hammer (an otherwise quite good book) where he decides that the end of civilization will (necessarily) bring about the end of feminism, and good riddance!!

auggziliary

Why are they mad about this? Don’t they always whine about how they want to have women take on “their” responsibilities, just to show them how “hard” it is to be a man?
These people are so unhappy. And it’s actually their fault.

CriticalDragon1177 (@CriticalDragon1)

David Futrelle

So a discussion about strong women in video games, and how bad it is, actually ended up leading them to the conclusion that video games weren’t Misogynistic enough? Now these people are going to expect us to believe they’re not misogynists and that the real problem is misandry?

Also if the “men’s rights movement” really was about fighting sexism against men, wouldn’t this hurt their cause? One of the negative stereotypes some women harbor towards men is that we’re all sexist pigs.

auggziliary

Also their view of female vs male strength is really fucking stupid. Yes, the average male is stronger. However it’s not by much. Like if you compare me and my boyfriend, or any other big “manly” guy, I can kick his ass at cardio or flexibility or speed*. But he can still lift weights that are heavier than me, also he’s much larger and I’m only 5″ 1′.
*when we tried running together, I was much faster, and he had to take a break before I even noticed any fatigue on me. I can run for an hour and still not be totally wiped out after. Yet he can only run like 5 minutes before needing a break.
If we were in a race I’d certainly beat him. Misandry?

perry
perry

How insecure do you have to be to feel threatened by a FICTIONAL character in a video game about zombies? If they weren’t so nasty, I’d feel sorry for the MGTOWer’s.

auggziliary

Also(sorry for spamming), as a feminist who wants patriarchy to stop hurting men, I’m happy a video game showed that its ok for a dude to be weak and scared. I’m not saying fear is good for survival or anything, but its natural and healthy, and men really should stop feeling like they have to be super duper macho or else they’re worthless pussies.

Dvärghundspossen

I couldn’t watch “the Walking Dead” for the reason that it was so fucking sexist… I watched season one, but that was it. I mean, I had more problems than that with that series, like everyone is a complete moron all the time, and the zombie apocalypse apparently happened because the army forgot how to aim their weapons (seen in a flashback where the fairly helpless and slow zombies approach some army guys who just shoot up in the air instead of shooting the zombies in the head), which I could have accepted in a light-hearted slasher movie but not in this pretentious series, but what really killed the series for me was the sexism. EVERY time someone does something brave and moral it’s a man who does it. What really takes the cake is when the main characters find an old nursing home still defended against the zombies by some of the staff – and all the brave nurses still caring for and defending the oldies are men. Seriously, aren’t most nurses overall women? So how come only male nurses are found at that nursing home? Oh, I know, because they were brave and morally upstanding, and only men can have these qualities in the Walking-Dead-universe! *pukes*

postman
postman

Wait, isn’t the protagonist of this game a man? And from what I can tell he is portrayed positively. I think we have a case of privilege blindness here.

gillyrosebee

These people are so unhappy. And it’s actually their fault.

I often wonder about the kind of “heads I win, tails you lose” logic that so many MRA-types fall into and I think it has little or nothing to do with anything outside their heads. The ones I meet out in the world seem confused as to their place in things and instead of just mucking around and figuring it out (or not, like the rest of us), they seem to want to “go back” to a (completely mythical) point at which all roles and rules were clearly defined and all you had to do was follow them. These folk seem to hate anyone who doesn’t follow “the rules” both for the simple act of being different (and therefore giving lie to the idea that some perfect platonic rule system actually does exist) and for being happy being different (instead of miserable like they are). Every single one of these types I’ve met has a near-worship for any set of ideas (no matter how wacky or internally inconsistent) that claims to boil down complex and overdetermined phenomena into a simple and monocausal set of perfected rules.

And then they are filled with rage when others not only don’t follow those rules, but challenge the very notion of them, or of any attempt to simplify the irreducible complexity of human life…

Xanthë

Clearly a thread for FactFinder/IdeologueReview/WhateverSillyNymHe’sCallingHimselfNow to put in an appearance to defend his magnum opus, Preggo Punchout. That’ll show all these nanny-pamby feminist game ruiners…

Or maybe not.

Joeseph Crumbles

“You will know my work by the cries of, ‘Run! It’s too edgy!'” Ten future dollars says Grimlock’s part-timing it in his dad’s tight-ass real estate office fifteen years from now. It’s upside-down with that crowd. One reason I wont go out of my way to play TLOU is my understanding that the only player character is a rando dude in a beard. I am a dude, who definitely could grow a beard if it came down to it. I don’t need to role-play that character. I don’t need more cultural representations of that character. That character is ubiquitous– he’s eating shit on the packaging of freaking Brawny paper towels– with the flannel and the axe even. That character is what you get when your design team is either lazy as hell or playing it safe or both.

lawmedy
lawmedy

Contains what? CONTAINS WHAT, GODDAMMIT?

QFT

gillyrosebee

lawmedy, can you not see the little flashy “sarcasm” sign there?

LBT

*eyeroll* Yeah, because you know, it’s not like there have been games focused on strong badass women before. And it’s not like HUUUUUGE guns/swords/Freudian stand-ins are a staple of video games, nooooo.

I’m apparently tetchy today, so I’m going to just put out awesome games with capable female protagonists.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent – Justine (2012): You play a woman trapped in a horrific dungeon filled with monsters (which you can’t defeat and can’t look directly at) and fellow captives. INTENSE psychological horror game, prepare to be scared shitless.

American McGee’s Alice, (2000) and Alice: Madness Returns (2011): a mentally ill girl who at various times dissociates, hallucinates, and STILL fights to save her mind, herself, and (in the second game) people around her. (Also, both games pass the Bechdel Test.) Violent hack-and-slash platformers with interesting psychological elements.

King’s Quest VII (1994): A royal mother-daughter get shoved through a dimensional rift and try to find each other again, also save the world they find themselves in. Point-and-click adventure game. Female Big Bad too!

King’s Quest IV (1998): Princess Rosella (also in KQ 7) goes on an adventure to find the cure for her ailing father. Also point-and-click adventure.

And of course, there’s Portal and Portal 2. Plus, a couple buddies of mine are making a computer game with a witch and a princess.

Seriously, these guys are full of shit. Women have been kicking ass in video games for twenty-five years. They just want to shove their heads in the sand and pretend it’s still a complete sausage fest.

LBT

Dammit. KQ 4 is from 1988, not 1998.

hellkell
hellkell

Aw, these dudes are pissed that not everyone buys into their “after the apocalypse, the wimminz will need me” fantasy. Poor babies.

Bob Goblin
Bob Goblin

There are lots of seriously strong, capable women at my gym that could totally beat any of these clowns at an arm wrestling contest. It’s probably best that they stick to their video games.

@Dvärghundspossen, re: The Walking Dead.

Not just that, but did you notice that a majority of both the living and the dead characters are white? That’s especially problematic given that the show was set around Atlanta, GA, a majority African-American city.

LBT

Ooh, ooh, regarding Walking Dead and racism! T-Dog: In Memoriam.

My only exposure to Walking Dead was reading the first volume when it originally came out (so way back in… 2005?) and watching the first episode over someone’s shoulder on the bus. Without sound and plus my commentary, it became a tale of an asshole sheriff who stole a poor zombie’s bike. (Sure, she couldn’t use it anymore, without legs, but it was all she had left in the world, dammit, don’t take that from her!) And then, as she crawls across the park desperate to find her lost bike, that asshole bike thief came back and shot her in the head.

Everyone agreed that this was far more entertaining than whatever the episode was actually about.

Dvärghundspossen

Bob, I didn’t think about the whiteness factor when I watched the show, because I’m Swedish, and had no idea about what the general population looked like in that part of the USA. For all I knew at the time, that area could have been predominantly white. But after I’d already given up on the show, I read an article online that pointed out that the majority of the population in and around Atlanta is actually black. That sucks too.

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

What?

If pushing a belief is bad to do, why would you intentionally try to include misogyny? You’d be trying to push a belief. And what’s more, you’re directly admitting you’re setting out with intent to disparage. This isn’t even casually accidental sexism or some random put down or just a case of blind writing, this is a guy, writing a script, changing scenes so as to make women weak and bad and inferior.

What… a… strange power play. How profoundly confusing.

Andrew Johnston

Funny part is, this is especially clear in “primitive” or frontier societies…including the ones depicted in end-of-the-world literature. After years of physical labor, the distinctions between male and female strength are going to be pretty small. You can see that in some traditionally agrarian societies – do those women really look weak, fellas?

And I have to at least imagine that this would be true in a post-apocalyptic culture as well. If people are back to living in small bands and struggling for survival, you’re not going to see strongly distinct gender roles. Everyone has to pitch in – the band can’t afford to have anyone do nothing, let alone half the group. Oh, and the same would have to be true for age – a fourteen year-old girl is a child in our civilized world, but in a fringe culture she’d be several years into adulthood.

But yes, gents, keep on believing that you alone hunt the mighty mastodon. I think some of these guys actually hope for the apocalypse because they think the women will die first (whereas they’ll be saved by their mad gaming skillz).

Dvärghundspossen

Examples of people acting like idiots in that show:

1. Dude whines about his truck “Oh, I need a new fuel hose, the old fuel hose is broken, where, where, where am I gonna find a new fuel hose in this post-apocalyptic world?” WELL MAYBE DOWN ON THE HIGHWAY we’ve seen so many panorama shots of! Maybe you could salvage a new hose from one of the, like, thousand cars and trucks just standing there down on the highway!
Nobody thinks of this solution.

2. Everyone’s like “we can totally live in tents in the woods, since we haven’t seen any zombies here so far, so this place must be safe”. Yeah right, that’s rational thinking. There are no obstacles whatsoever against the zombies coming there, but you haven’t seen any zombies in that area so far, so you conclude that it’s safe. Cue zombies attack the camp and start killing people, and I’m like “you had it coming morons”.

3. Our supposed hero rides a horse towards a deserted city because he thought there would be survivors there. He doesn’t turn back when he finds out it’s all deserted. He doesn’t turn back when he sees a zombie approaching him. He doesn’t turn back when more and more zombies come, and his horse starts to panic. And eventually there are too many zombies around him and now he can’t turn back! The poor horse is killed, but he survives although he totally doesn’t deserve it!

Fibinachi

(whereas they’ll be saved by their mad gaming skillz).

Hey now, I’ve played Fallout 1 and 2. I’m all set for the nuclear apocalypse.

Falconer

I’ve played Resident Evil 4, I’m totally set for the ZOMBIE apocalypse!

Andrew Johnston

@LBT: I’ll add to that collection.

Final Fantasy VI arguably has a female lead in Terra/Tina – Square-Enix seems to think that she was the protagonist, anyway. And when the world ends halfway into the game, the first character out of the gate is Celes, another woman. As a bonus, both of them are among the better characters from a statistical gameplay standpoint.

Wild ARMs III also has a female lead in Virginia. Granted, she’s depicted as extremely cheesy and girly, but she’s also a bit of a badass with a penchant for running alone into dangerous situations because her male compatriots don’t feel like being heroic.

And those are RPGs, a genre with a notoriously poor history with female characters.

Dvärghundspossen

I actually made a list some time ago on my blog on the top sexist things that bother me in pop culture… Obviously YMMV on this, these are just what I, personally, find most and least disturbing. (I didn’t include when the heroine is raped by the hero and enjoys it, or where the villain is a straw feminist, merely because I think these two are, fortunately, not common any more, although you do come across them in older stuff now and again.)

1. When women are consistently portrayed as less intelligent, brave, moral etc than men.
1. (Number one is thus shared): Romanticizing sick abusive relationships, stalking, manipulation etc.
2. When action heroines have terribly impractical clothing merely in order to be sexy to the audience, and/or body types that would seriously hinder what they’re doing (like, someone does stuff that you need to be physically strong to do, but is super thin with hardly any muscle, or someone is supposed to be a top-trained athlete but have a body like Marilyn Monroe).
3. When a movie version of a comic book or book makes the female characters much less bad-ass than the original.
4. When a completely asexual woman who’s never orgasmed in her life meets her one true pen… LOVE and suddenly orgasms all over the place.
5. When it’s stressed that a female character doesn’t give a crap about how she looks, alternatively thinks she’s ugly, but is actually perfectly beautiful according to our society’s ideals. Gets extra stupid when an author tries to convey this in a story told from that characters POV.
6. When women sexually harassing men is supposed to be empowering and feminist.
7. When only men are allowed to be all brooding and profound, and women’s job is to be down-to-Earth and sensible and encourage the brooding men to get a grip on themselves.
8. When men who aren’t conventionally attractive are consistently paired up with women who are.
9. When all women are super thin while most men are chubby.
10. When there are loads of unmotivated female nakedness, and/or unmotivated “sexy” clothing (although it’s not impractical, impractical sexy clothing has already been covered in point 2).
11. More or less lack of female characters, when such lack isn’t motivated by the story (i e we’re not talking about “das boot” or something similar).

They’re all disturbing, but I’ve found that I have a way, way easier time putting up with 11 than with 1.

tedthefed
tedthefed

I love… LOVE that last quote in the post. It would be one thing if he was making games with “realistic” portrayals of women as a way to communicate his values or affect social change or, god forbid, just because narratives have themes like it or not. It’d come from STUPID values, but at least it would be an attempt to do something.
No, his motivation, as explicitly stated, is to just MAKE PEOPLE MAD. He is spending money and time training for a career that he INTENDS TO TROLL.

The internet has ruined us all.

Mongoose
Mongoose

I’m not sure how this guy specifically reacted to the feministfrequency series on video games, and I’m not going to make assumptions. But the sheer magnitude of the irony is still overwhelming. Video games are heavily biased towards a male audience, in general. The complaint in feministfrequency videos isn’t about a particular game, but about a trend in the gaming industry. So this guy picked out one game that has the roles reversed: the women are in charge, and the men are in backup roles (assuming he is not misrepresenting it, as I haven’t played the game yet). And he latches on to that as proof that feminism has taken over the industry?

I’m taking it this guy hasn’t played any other video games ever?

Also, have to agree with Dvärg about The Walking Dead. That show is so extremely sexist against both men and women. Actually, my friend was watching it with me and he got sick of the way the men in the series were depicted as violent, angry and overprotective douchebags.

MrFancyPants
MrFancyPants

Related re: women being unnaturally strong and capable:

For many years I was an avid rock climber, and I remember when Lynn Hill made the first free ascent of The Nose on El Capitan in the Yosemite Valley. In particular, I remember two things about her feat: first, that she did this ascent that everyone considered to be impossible, and second, the chorus of men’s voices screaming that she “cheated” because her fingers were small enough to jam a crack that none of the previous men had been able to. No matter what women do, real or imagined, there is always going to be a chorus of butthurt dudebros to stamp their feet and spit & scream, it seems.

tinyorc

Delurking just to add that The Last of Us is really excellent game. I haven’t actually played it, but I watched one of my housemates play through most of it because it was so so TENSE and really emotional in places. Seriously, it was like watching a movie sometimes. The writing is excellent and the transitions between game play and cut scenes are so smooth that sometimes I hardly noticed them.

ALSO POSSIBLY SOME SPOILERS.

And honestly, I have to wonder what game these guys played that found so filled with evil feminism! At its core, this story is still about rugged, bestubbled, typically masculine lone wolf type who develops a paternal attachment to a 14 year-old girl whom he must protect and save. In that sense, it’s pretty standard videogame fare. BUT, where it hives off slightly is that the 14 year-old girl isn’t actively useless – she’s portrayed as smart and capable and resilient and more than a match for this nightmare post-apocalyptic world, though ultimately she does end up needing to be saved. Also, you get some game time playing as her, which is really great, because female characters normally have zero agency in videogames of any genre.

ALSO, she is not portrayed as being as strong as a fully grown man. The differences in the gameplay are really great a logical – she moves faster than the male protagonist and it’s must easier to sneak past enemies when you’re playing as her, but she’s also slower and less accurate with the rifle and she dies MUCH more quickly in close-quarters combat. So I’d say they actually did a really great job of realistically simulating the physical differences between a fully grown man and a fourteen year-old girl.

These dudes seem to be pissed off that this game is not actively misogynistic. Which is just ridiclous. Most women gamers aren’t even asking for games specifically targeted at women, we just want games that don’t actively alienate and objectify us at every turn. But obviously, that’s is too much to ask.

Sid
Sid

I know, it’s MRAs, but could they really be any more out of touch with reality? If you’re in a shitty situation where you have to survive, and you can’t survive decently on your own, and what’s left of society hasn’t exactly prioritized helping others, you know what happens? YOU DIE. You do not get to be a character in a video game because you are dead long before it takes place. The survival-themed games/movies/whatever that have characters who are physically and mentally weak, who have next to no applicable skills other than being adorable comedic relief and have to rely on the charity of strangers to survive are the ones that are unrealistic. OF COURSE every woman in it is going to be strong and capable. They, like the vast majority of people in that sort of situation, have no other choice.

(As an aside, this is an amazing game. The beginning “tutorial” area made me bawl.)

RE: tedthefed

I think I now know how ‘The Haunted Vagina’ got written.

RE: Walking Dead

I really have no interest in watching/reading this. It’s just another zombie apocalypse. It’s been done. It’s been done A LOT. It’s become such a cliche, with little room for expansion, that I’m actually playing around with it in my own post-apocalyptic ‘verse where zombies are created by people believing in them, and unscrupulous assholes try and sow belief to create an infinite loop of escalating zombie attack, belief, and death, just to clear out land they want, or as a means of social control.

Because of these guys’ assholery, when I eventually play my copy of Dragon Age: Origins, I plan to play a female character. (Whether we go with Sneak’s desire to play as non-combative a character as possible, or just shove one of our fiction characters through the filter remains to be seen.)

Kakanian
Kakanian

I wonder what these guys said about Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

“Most realistic portrayal of marriage in video games”?

ltkessler

I blame the Harvest Moon games for teaching men that the best way to find true love is through a series of awkward gifts and dances.

RE: Sid

Honestly, I feel that IF such an apocalypse came to be, cooperation and helping others would be the only way any decent-sized gathering of people would get off the ground. I’ve always been rather annoyed when post-apocalyptic societies seem to be run entirely by long wolves. You gotta sleep sometime, Stubbledude!

tedthefed
tedthefed

oo, can I expand the list of games of capable female protagonists?

The old NES game The Guardian Legend features a heroic android who can turn into a spaceship and shoot lasers and, when human-shaped, is female-human-shaped.

Lammy from Um Jammer Lammy is one of the most endearing characters in all of video games: a socially anxious, two-dimensional lamb who becomes filled with confidence when playing her guitar.

Beyond Good and Evil has Jade, who is the result of when designers go out of their way to NOT be exploitatively sexual or stereotypical about their lady characters, and yet everyone who plays the game falls in love with her anyway.

Okami has Amaterasu, who is offhandedly mentioned to be female a couple of times, and otherwise makes no big deal about it. She’s pretty bad-ass, since she’s a wolf and the goddess of the sun.

And this is actually an ANTAGONIST, but the greatest female video game character of all time is from Metal Gear Solid 3: The Boss. Your (male) character runs into her several times throughout the game and every single time she kicks his ass (it’s the opposite of Leon and Ada in Resident Evil 4). And then, when you finally beat her, it’s because she let you, and her reasons were more noble than the noblest thing that’s ever happened.

Bob Goblin
Bob Goblin

Speaking of racism and The Walking Dead:

cendare

Can I get a shout-out for Commander Shepard? Seriously, there’s a lot to dislike about the love story handling and a lot of the other female characters, but I loved Jennifer Hale’s work in that series. And I loved how much it makes no difference to the various political/military types you work with — they praise you or chew your ass, and it has nothing to do with being a woman commander. Go Bioware!

gillyrosebee

No, teh wimmenz will totally appreciate their flawless tactics and their awesome hand-eye coordination (honed over endless hours of Call of Duty,😉 and fall all over themselves to secure a manly gamerdude of their very own. Then those wimmenz will be happy to stay safely back at the bunker washing clothes and making sammiches in the pushup bras and high heels their supermanly gamer dudes bring back for them as spoils from their daily combat!

Funny story. My housemate is a bit of a gun nut, and he's always happy to share his love of things that go bang with others who are interested. His team at work hired a new guy, a programmer fresh out of college who was deep into fp shooter games and wanted to be able to play with the real thing for a while, so housemate took Dave to the range with all the specific firearms he'd asked about, as well as a few smaller ones, just in case. At the range, Dave of course picked up the biggest handgun my housemate had brought (a .45) and took aim at the target. And we waited. And waited. Until finally he gave up. He didn't have the hand strength* to acutally pull the trigger (and after a few minutes, he didn't have the arm strength to keep holding it up). Ultimately, he wasn't able to fire any of the handguns, and only two of the long guns (and even then, teeny tiny little me had to rack the slide on the shotgun for him!).

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

LOL cool story bro

@Dvarg

OMG. I’d been avoiding it because I was afraid it’d ruin one of my favorite comic series, and now I’m really glad I did. There are definitely badass, capable women (as well as regular, scared-but-surviving women and men) in the comics.

There is also a ton of problematic shit, like dudes fighting over a woman, and one incident of rape-torture (another reason I haven’t watched the series). But it sounds like it’s at least better than the TV version.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Also:

gillyrosebee

This? This is brilliant. I love apocalyptic literature (see above, comment #1) but I’ve been consiously avoiding new zombie narratives because I just couldn’t see where anyone had anything new to bring to the table, but this is awesome! Are you self-publishing? Publishing online? I must read this!!!! (searches frantically for pleading puppy-dog eye emoticon)

RE: Bob Goblin

OH MY GOD. Thank you, that made me laugh out loud.

stormster
stormster

*potential triggers in this comment*

Probably one of the more “realistic” portrayals I’ve seen in a video game involves the main character’s responses in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Granted, the monsters are not realistic, and the science in some parts is questionable, BUT his responses (fear, sweaty, shaking hands, teeth grinding/chattering, etc.) are realistic. People don’t have superhuman strength. He can’t fight, he can only run and hide and hope that his wits save him. And he gets anxiety and panic attacks. I’m not saying that people who can fight back, who are strong, who don’t panic, etc. don’t exist. Those people do. But they’re a minority.

I don’t understand this sudden need for what they perceive as “reality” in video games. In Skyrim, I played a fucking cat person. I don’t even-

And I’ve watched some of Sarkeesian’s videos and they are SO on point.

RE: gillyrosebee

Though I haven’t had the chance to make a story focusing on the ‘plague zombies’ (as they’re known–the local Haitians get pissy because, “Dammit, we did it first!”) you can get the feel of the place with the first couple installments of this serial, involving a a monster under the bed and sins-of-flesh demon (NSFW). I’m totally open for commissions right now too, so for $30, I could totally write you that ‘zombies as tool of social control’ story.

Ted beat me to it: Beyond Good and Evil is awesome and you should all play it.

There’s a game mechanic where you friggin’ take pictures of animals. I think the amoeba saltans is my favorite.

gillyrosebee

I was skeptical about the whole Doomsday Preppers phenomena from the first, but I decided to watch a couple of episodes. I was grumbling at the tv from the beginning, but I started throwing things during the episode where they started lecturing to the New England couple who had gotten together with their neighbors to develop a community garden and build a cider press and hold canning and preserving get together and reviving a host of craft and hand technologies (essentially turning their suburb into a more enlightened version of the small New England town). Why? They weren’t building enough reliance on themselves and going it alone, and they weren’t stockpiling enough weaponry.

I think that was the same episode where they featured the kid who was stealing from his mother to buy survivalist gear on the internet and planning ‘ops’ with a couple of other kids that took for granted they would run away from their families in case of emergency.

And that was the last time I turned on Nat Geo.

RE: stormster

Amnesia: the Dark Descent is awesome. Me and Sneak watched a Let’s Play for it PURELY as a lesson in horror design. Mental illness and trauma is one of my things, so I really enjoy it when people use it well.

My personal favorite immersion story for Amnesia was watching a friend’s partner play. At one point, his character was in a meat locker when suddenly AAAH MONSTER!

There’s nowhere to go! Nowhere to hide! And guy can’t even LOOK at the monster, or he’ll take damage. All he can do is crouch down between meat counters (in the dark, which also causes sanity damage) and hold still and pray the monster doesn’t notice him.

A random tweak in Amnesia is that the first-person camera never holds still, even when your character is at 100%. You can never see your character, but due to the camera quirk, he appeared to be rocking. (And crouched down, it was easy to imagine him in a fetal position as well.)

And the player was imitating the character! Without appearing to realize it, he was all curled up in his chair, rocking in rhythm with the character, and gibbering, “Don’t look at me, don’t look at me, don’t look at me!” (Which, let’s face it, is probably EXACTLY what the character would’ve been thinking.)

Brilliant immersion. Very well done.

RE: gillyrosebee

Yes! That’s exactly the kind of shit I’m talking about. There’s just this ASSUMPTION that an individual with BIG FUCKING GUNS will be the one to climb to the top. If anything, I feel it’s self-propagating: if people believe that violence and acting alone will do the job, that’s exactly what they’ll do! I mean, if we look at survival fringe societies, they can definitely be rough… but people band together, and do find ways to cooperate, for their own safety.

In my post-apocalypse ‘verse, it’s a good long while after the apocalypse, so things are relatively stable, just small and prone to supernatural attack. Still, even the most dangerous places tend to have a decent-sized cooperative settlement, because hey, you need DOCTORS. You need someone who knows something about fixing shit. You need someone to take care of livestock, or someone who knows how to keep a town running. You can’t ALL be uber-violent blood-drenched badasses.

1 2 3 12