advocacy of violence alpha males creepy domestic violence douchebaggery evo psych fairy tales grandiosity heartiste men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny PUA racism

Heartiste: Men need to be able to hit their mates in order to “retain” them

A better way to retain your mate: Be a sharp-dressed man.
A better way to retain your mate: Be a sharp-dressed man.

You may know Heartiste as a reactionary, misogynistic, proudly racist dispenser of manipulative, sometimes abusive dating advice to would-be “alpha males.”

Did you also know that he was an open advocate of domestic violence against women?

Well, I didn’t, until a friend pointed out a strange little exchange on his Twitter account the other day.

Last Tuesday morning, apropos of nothing in particular, Heartiste made the following pronouncement:

When someone asked what sort of threats he meant, he elaborated:

The latter three items on the list (“Abandonment. Shame. Ostracism”) are standard techniques in Heartiste’s dating strategy, but the open advocacy of violence is, I think, new.

In addition to being repugnant, Heartiste’s argument here doesn’t even particularly make sense. Essentially, he seems to be saying that men need to be able to hit women to keep them in line so that they won’t have to … hit women to keep them in line.

Also, the phrase “mate retention strategy,” apparently popular with Evo Psych types, gives me the creeps. I’m pretty sure the best “mate retention strategy” is to be the sort of person your “mate” wants to be in a relationship with.

I did a quick search for the phrase, and found numerous references to two academic studies. One suggested that some women fake orgasms as a “mate retention strategy.” Another possibly more revealing one claimed that men of “low mate value” often insult their mates to lower their self-esteem so they won’t feel confident enough to leave. That seems more or less in line with what Heartiste’s general approach. And certainly, by any reasonable definition of the term, Heartiste and his followers are some pretty “low value” people, both as “mates” and as decent human beings generally.

I also found this reference to research by Evo Psych big daddy David Buss suggesting that violence — surprise! — isn’t actually a particularly effective “mate retention strategy.”

Also, beating up your mate is, you know, just generally a pretty shitty thing to do.

If Heartiste takes his tweets down, I’ve got screenshots.

EDITED TO ADD: Heartiste has really been going wild with the Twitter lately.

Here he claims to have invented the term “hivemind.”

After I pointed out that this belief was delusional, he suggested that I kill myself. Very alpha!

He’s also been on a bit of a racist rampage, posting lots of stuff like this:

See also here, here, here, here, and here.

Phrasing your racism in pseudoscientific terms doesn’t make it right, dude. It just makes you a pretentious racist.

CassandraSays

Wait, Greg’s still wanking? Try not thinking sexy thoughts when you’re writing about taking revenge on women for being uncouth, Greg, nobody wants to see your money shot.

inurashii
inurashii

Trayvon was in better shape, a fighter, and he attacked George.

“George tried to go for his holy blade, but Trayvon’s demon powers made him too fast. Luckily, the Unicorn that George was going for knocked him over, but Trayvon’s evil demon corrosion had already fused the right arm of George’s paladin armor together…”

RE: Greg Wright

Trayvon was in better shape, a fighter, and he attacked George.

Self defense.

Greg, Greg, sweetie, darling, you’re trying way too hard. Seriously, you’re just pulling Troll 101 now, thinking of the most awful things you can say to cause upset.

Here’s your binkie. Now go sit in the corner and you can rejoin the other children when you’re no longer screaming and wailing.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Trayvon was in better shape, a fighter, and he attacked George.

Self defense.

George followed Trayvon in the dark, even though the police asked him not to, with a gun. He asked George why George was following him.

So, yes, if Trayvon attacked George then it’s fair to say Trayvon was acting in self defense.

Greg Wright
Greg Wright

BAN ME!

Argenti Aertheri

I was going to say not to punish the kids like that, but maybe Gigi wants to give him a round of “YOU go away”?

Argenti Aertheri

If anyone but David had that power, you’d already be gone.

hellkell
hellkell

Greg: your banning will come, we like to have our offerings tender for the Dark Lord.

pecunium

You are an amazing outlier, a black, “from the ‘hood”, who likes Rush, and thinks Zimmerman was justified, and is so clued into gang culture he can get a gang member beaten up; and the gang is cool with that, but you also reach for, “a huge biker” when you needed a go-to metaphor to explain justified beatings, rather than, “If I was wearing read and dissed a Crip”.

You may be black, but I don’t think you are honestly presenting yourself.

cloudiah

Greg is clearly 13 and needs to be given a timeout.

CassandraSays

Maybe David should refuse to ban him just to piss him off.

OTOH, if he gets any more angry he might explode.

RE: Greg Wright

We can not ban you. It is you, only you, who can truly ban yourself. *nods wisely*

(Seriously, I’m just envisioning you jumping up and down, waving your arms, shrieking, “BAN ME!” like a small child. Adorable.)

hellkell
hellkell

I think in this case, David should give the troll exactly what it wants.

CassandraSays

Ooh, can we send him a baby rattle? It can have a picture of an uncouth woman on it with a line drawn through it, like a no smoking sign for misogynists.

hellkell
hellkell

You mean “uncooth,” Cassandra.

Briznecko
Briznecko

Looks like someone lost their binkey.

CassandraSays

Is he going to send his lady friends to beat us up now?

Argenti Aertheri

I think Falconer found some earlier, but maybe he was being literal.

RE: CassandraSays

C’mon, he’s so close to popping already! I wanna see what happens! I mean, come on, at this point, he’s wasted all the big guns, he’ll just be stuck with keyboard mashing a ton of slurs all together.

LBT

You know what, guys? I kinda want us to digitally group hug Greg Wright.

Just to see what happens. Who’s with me?

Argenti Aertheri

In random things! My new glasses are on my face! I can see!

And this read his shit perfectly, but not squinting at the data is lovely.

Argenti Aertheri

LBT — well I already gave out 491 free hugs via the survey…so idk.

Zombie Marie
Zombie Marie

@LBT

I”m not touching Greg with a ten foot pole 😛

@Arengti Aertheri

Yay for glasses! 😀

Viscaria
Viscaria

How’s the data going? Don’t forget to take breaks and relax, we know you’re volunteering your spare time 🙂

pecunium

Cassandra: (The idea that if you get a friend to beat the shit out of someone for you then your hands are clean was my favorite part of today trollsplosion.)

Don’t forget, that getting women to beat people who diss you gets you street cred, everyone knows how badass you are when you do that.

Even more when you get CPS involved.

Totally.

Briznecko
Briznecko

bionicmommy: That’s awesome! At least on this matter, our senator is BADASS.

CassandraSays

Notice there was no mention of what happened to the kids. They’re not important, right?

Behold, the MRM!

LBT

Okay, fine, I’LL hug Greg Wright, whenever he comes up. I think we drove him off, but I have hope he’ll come back with an NWO-worthy keyboard smash of arghlebarghle.

Never let it be said I won’t take one for the team!

Discordia
Discordia

Marie-Thanks for the add…not really an artist, but I am okay with cameras and used to write poems!

I am really behind on comments and have just been shimming but unless you know the person is abusing their kids calling CPS because you have a vendetta against someone is beyond fucked up, even if they are an asshole.

Argenti–new glasses are awesome

LBT—I’ll join you in a group hug, maybe it will scare Greg off and he will go away

Argenti Aertheri

Viscaria — when I saw how many replies it got between me emailing it to David and going to bed, and me getting up, I decided to get a jump start on it. So I’m about 3/4ths done compiling the racial breakdown of the countries we got responses from (which, using the r/mr categories for that comparison, has been a joy and a wonder [any New Zealand people around? Do you seriously not have anyone who’s neither white nor indigenous nor Asian?])

And nearly done with compiling the religions, useful ethnicity list, politics, etc. Started on the math for what’s an outlier in the “check any” categories, I wasn’t going to drop any of the data, but someone checked fifty-fucking-seven religions, and I’ve got a couple others that scream troll. (More so than Greg actually, he just screams pathetic)

Got the charts and other graphic presentations sorta sketched out too. I’m putting the spreadsheets on google docs tonight, and talacaris is going to look for correlations in the smart ass question. I’m hoping to have it presentable by Saturday, but since he won’t get to that until tomorrow, idk, maybe Sunday.

All in all, will probably be just about a week from launch to presented data.

CassandraSays

Totally random but…wtf is this cat doing? I’ve heard them chittering before, and that’s what it looks like it’s doing (looking at a bug maybe), but that noise is bizarre.

Discordia
Discordia

oh okay I read the comment on CPS more carefully and she was abusive….still doing it just to teach someone a lesson is fucked up….

Argenti Aertheri

1) cats are always on topic
2) “sounds like a baby goat” = yep

Fade

@discordia

Yeah. Logically you’d call CPS when you figured out a kid was being abused, not save it for when their custodial parent(s) pissed you off and you wanted to get revenge

LBT

RELEVANT TO OUR INTERESTS!

RE: Discordia

I think it’s pretty safe to discount anything Greg Wright said as made-up bollockery. And yes! Join the group hug! Seriously, I can’t think of anything more anti-Greg.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Go home, cat, you’re drunk.

@Argenti, that’s a pretty amazing turnaround time!

CassandraSays

If Greg is finally gone how about we all group hug over this?

Argenti Aertheri

Dogggiiieee!!

Briznecko
Briznecko

Whelp, that video rendered me into a teary mess. That’s so awesome.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

@Briznecko, yes, she was badass. And what’s with the Wall Street Journal posting Taranto’s rape apologist crap anyway? I think they should change their name to The Wall Street Spearhead.

And yeah for the lady finding her puppy! It’s so good to see happy endings like that after tornadoes. I have so many stories, and the ones where people reunite with pets are some of the most heartwarming.

I would go so far as to say that, logically, there should be no difference, because logically finding out that a kid was being abused should piss you off.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Yeah, I’m with LBT on this….troll’s claims are all utter horseshit. He’s a white, middle class guy. I’ve never seen or heard of an urban-based African American spouting so much fucking MRA rhetoric. In fact, his “impression” of an African American from L.A. was just ridiculous and racist. And when he wasn’t using that voice, he just sounded like a shit lord on the verge of a hissy fit because some people think rape as a societal problem is larger than false rape accusations.

Then he goes all wank-fest on us…being offensive so he can get off. What a sad troll.

All his claims are distinctly post-hoc, too. Get called out for racism? Oh wait, I’m black! Got a woman’s children taken away? Oh wait, she was abusive!

Argenti Aertheri

Katz — yeah, but find out about abuse => get pissed => call CPS, is more ethical than find out about abuse => wait until pissed => call CPS.

(Not that you didn’t know that or anything, I just got home from an apparently rescheduled psych appt, like my brain wasn’t jello already)

LBT

Well, at least now I feel better about myself. I might be poor, mentally ill, and have trouble even organizing cleaning a guy’s house for scratch… but at least I’m not Greg Wright.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Oh, LBT, you’re awesome.

pecunium

There were some other troll tells, “that was in 2002”, and I forget what.

But his language was oddly sterile for a “streewise” sort of dude, and while he implied he was black, he didn’t react to the localising data I put in, so I have my doubts about his LA cred too.

LBT

Trolls help boost my self-confidence.

But no, really, I’m annoyed at how shitty I am at mentally managing any work that’s not for a friend who knows I’m crazy. *sigh* At least we did really well this month, between writeathon and Sneak pet-sitting?

Argenti Aertheri

Pets!

Yes in other words.

And whenever I have a Paypal balance to work with, I’m funding M.D.’s apt. if it isn’t yet funded. Need MOAR.