antifeminism domestic violence I'm totally being sarcastic misogyny MRA radfems oh my rape rape culture straw feminists that's completely wrong

The History of Feminism, as told by the Men’s Rights Subreddit

Let’s take a trip down memory lane with this short history of feminism, helpfully prepared for us by mountainmansOG in the Men’s Rights subreddit.

mountain1mountain2

I learn new things about feminism every day! Thanks, Men’s Rights subreddit!

CriticalDragon1177 (@CriticalDragon1)

David Futrelle,

Yeah so I guess we’re supposed to believe that all this concern about rape and domestic violence are really just feminists trying to get our attention. Someone should ask these people how they would feel if someone beat them up and sexually assaulted them. Its not like those are not serious issues at all, around the world.

charleswheeler
charleswheeler

Oh god, the first comment followed by the first line of the second one. That’s practically art.

burgundy
burgundy

In Jingo, Terry Pratchett describes Sgt Colon as having been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and now a postgraduate student at the University of What Some Bloke in the Pub Told Me. He seems to have had a much broader education than this guy, who seems to only have graduated from the High School of AssFacts. And probably with a GED, at that.

Argenti Aertheri

Let’s just ignore Griswald v CT and how post-WWII women where expected to give up their factory jobs and go make babies.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

These quotes don’t have the full impact unless read in the voice of Abraham J. Simpson, their originator.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Absolutely no one listens to MRAs. I wonder if they’re jealous of the attention? Hm…

serrana

Like this, Nepenthe?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Domestic Violence and rape are the only way feminists can get anybody to pay attention to them

Wow, that’s some unfortunate phrasing there. Also ironic, given that if you inserted “threats of” at the beginning it would be a completely true and accurate comment on the MRM.

Cthulhu's Intern

Are they going to get some stupid idea to make shit up about women?
Oh wait, they already do that and it’s not working for them.

MrFancyPants
MrFancyPants

Shorter second comment from him:

“I don’t know what I’m talking about, but I have an opinion.”

Hyena Girl
Hyena Girl

These kinds of statements from MRAs always make me want to hold up a sign reading “CITATION PLEASE!”

Tanya Nguyen

deBeauvoir – rad fem! gotcha.

marinerachel
marinerachel

I would LOVE a “CITATION PLEASE” sign.

Hyena Girl
Hyena Girl

I think they’d be great at political events too.

marinerachel
marinerachel

And family dinners!

Hyena Girl
Hyena Girl

You know what? I really like how you think.

malte87

Wow. I always thought history was complicated and stuff. Turns out it’s really simple and kind of stupid. Thanks, MRAs!

LBT

I find it so funny how people seem to think that feminism should’ve just stopped at the right to vote.

“All right, mates, we’ve gotten the right to vote. Our job is done! Let us vanish now into the night!” *POOF!*

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

No, you see, the problem is that feminism stopped there and didn’t move on to the next most important issue, which was getting short and unpopular men laid.

Hyena Girl
Hyena Girl

@LBT:
Wait, wait, by that way of thinking the MRAs are all done and can go home. They’ve got the vote too. Well, mission accomplished everyone, as you were.

Cat
Cat

@ serrana

You win the internets!

marinerachel
marinerachel

Ooooo, and classes taught by professors who have an inflated sense of self-importance and make unsubstantiated claims outside their area of expertise. CITATION PLEASE!

RE: CassandraSays

I’m a bit baffled on the idea about short men.

Also, I made the mistake of putting my ‘did the happy land of economic stability ever exist’ question on tumblr. I got an answer from a stranger saying that work was full of abuse, but eventually, I’d learn which was constructive criticism, and if I found a partner, that’d help take care of the bills.

HAHAHAHA I am so fucked.

hellkell
hellkell

Shorter mountainmanog: “I haven’t done the reading, but this is totes how it went diwn. Also, projection.”

Argenti Aertheri

Hey LBT, had a very weird convo with my mother earlier about how you’re married. My idiot brother decided “that’s so gay”; which I mention because I had a whole series of snarky thoughts and really want to know which one the master of snark you married would’ve picked! (Ignoring this idiocy is fine too, sorry about my family being a bunch of idiots)

…aren’t you a married short man? I mean, I realize I was in my 4″ boots, but you aren’t any taller than me… So there we have it folks, Mac’s cool with short men!

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

@serrana

Yes! Exactly like that.

@LBT

Does your husband not work?

RE: Argenti

He says, “No, no, that’s so BI. It’s a subtle but significant difference!” I love him.

…aren’t you a married short man?

Vessel’s 5’4, 5’5, so if you’re counting by that, then yup. I’m 5’9, so… pretty normal, really. (And considering my predecessors, I was damn lucky to get that tall.) It’s just that Mac’s a fucking tank, so everyone looks short compared to him.

RE: Nepenthe

Oh dear. You haven’t gotten the LBT 101, have you? Someone else want to do it, or shall I?

Argenti Aertheri

*cheers* your husband’s dirty mind and mine think alike!

Is the questions comic an acceptable LBT 101?

RE: Argenti

Sure, that’s actually exactly what it was made for. But, for Nepenthe’s sake…

RE: Nepenthe

I’m a member of a multiple system; my husband shares the vessel with me. We have a whole site on it here, including a pretty thorough Frequently Asked Questions section.

So my husband doesn’t work. In fact, right now the biggest moneymakers right now are me (selling art and writing) and, much more so, one of the children, who takes care of people’s pets and does other odd jobs.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

Right.

Argenti Aertheri

And here’s the aforementioned comic.

Warning thought, Mac and Gigi both have handwriting that requires deciphering! (Ok Mac, Gigi’s got an excuse, what’s yours? XD )

Falconer

XKCD has the citation posters covered.

scarlettpipstrelle

I’ve been on a lot of university campuses and I’ve never seen a gender studies building. A class or a program maybe, but a whole building? How common is that?

Malte
Malte

@scarlettpipstrelle: Yeah, definitely not at our uni. They recently forced all the humanities and social sciences into a new building together, and gender studies is somewhere in there.

grumpycatisagirl

“I’ll admit that my research into modern feminism is woefully incomplete.” Yeah, it might have been a good idea to stop there. And then maybe go do some research.

goodrumo

Reblogged this on iheariseeilearn.

Detached
Detached

Meh, I’m no longer shocked by this. I’ve come to the point of expecting shit I can’t warp my head around.

But I want to know how they came to the conclusion that “everyone thinks men are all rapists”. It’s baffling. I can get how they would be afraid potential false rape charges, but to actually believe that someone will look at you can think you are a rapist? How?

Deoridhe

I’m astonished there wasn’t anything about abortion in his …interesting history of feminism.

RE: Argenti

I’m right-handed! YOU try making the body write right-handed.

–Mac

Kittehserf

Detached – you should have seen the hissy fits over the Schrodinger’s Rapist thread on Shapely Prose.

MRAs get outraged at being told women don’t know if a strange man is a potential threat – from harassment through to rape or worse – because nobody has a big R on their forehead. They like to stick to the myth of rapists being obvious, being the scary stranger in the bushes, but then they object to women being cautious around strangers.

Kittehserf

Mac, I sympathise! Trying to write with the wrong hand is a pain.

Hi, too, I can’t remember if we’ve spoken before. You’re husband’s a lovely bloke, not that you need me to tell you that. 🙂

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

The “all men are rapists” argument is the rapists argument. They have been making it for years uncounted. They claim they can’t help it, and that it is natural, and that’s the way God made them, and that all men are like that, so women have to cover up and never go out alone and if you do you are asking for “it”. When women take their word for it they blame feminism.

leftwingfox

Sounds like another happy customer of NWOs “Big Book of Lernin”

Detached
Detached

>MRAs get outraged at being told women don’t know if a strange man is a potential threat – from harassment through to rape or worse – because nobody has a big R on their forehead.

You know, now that you mentioned it, they really do get bothered over that. I just never saw it that way, at first I saw it as “Hey, here is a stereotype of men; they are rapists”.

@thebewilderness

Basically, the main people who obsess over rape like that are likely the rapists themselves? Or maybe “potential rapists” rather, well, I’d believe it. I’ve gone, chatted with people, but I’ve never gotten the vibe that people thought I was a rapist. Maybe a kill-joy, or weird, but never a rapist.

RE: Kittehs

Yeah, it took Mac MONTHS of stubbornness to get his handwriting as good at is. But it was worth it; now I need never fear breaking my arm and being denied the ability to write.

I don’t think y’all’ve spoken before, but he knows who you are and sends his regards. He agrees that I am truly lovely.

Argenti Aertheri

“I’m right-handed! YOU try making the body write right-handed.

–Mac”

Ambidextrity ftw! Ok, my left hand is only sorta better than yours, but dude, cursive? 😛

You want the survey? I can email you a separate copy. With 1095 sets of data at last check, having to add one/a couple by hand isn’t remotely a problem!

RE: Argenti

I KNOW RIGHT. But nope, Mac just had to be special and use cursive as his default handwriting. None of the rest of us do; I have no idea what his beef with print is.

And he says no thanks; I really am the only Boobzer. My tendencies are indulged by my kindly system, who don’t get it.

LBT

Oh, and by the way, I utilized your email address to show you some awesome IS fanart I got years and years ago; didn’t want to spam the comm.

Argenti Aertheri

It is awesome! I appreciate the art break from staring at numbers!

Kittehserf

Isn’t it nice having a smart husband? 😉

1 2 3 4