announcements self-promotion

The Man Boobz Survey is up! Go take it! [UPDATE: Survey closes Thursday at 8 PM, EST]

Survey says: Actually, none of these are options on the Man Boobz survey
Survey says: Actually, none of these are options on the Man Boobz survey

Thanks to the hard work of Argenti Aertheri and the suggestions of various other Boobzers, the Man Boobz survey is now up and ready to be taken. It will give me — and all of you — a better picture of just what sort of people read Man Boobz on a regular basis. It’s completely anonymous. Go take it! It will only take a few minutes.

I will probably leave it up for a couple of days, and will report the results here as soon as the numbers are crunched.

I think pretty much any other question you might have about it will probably be answered on the survey itself, so hop to it!

Thanks Argenti!

pecunium

I like NYC (though the weather sucks and it’s not as employee friendly as Calif.).

Boston has it’s charms, and there is sometthing to be said for the NE in general (there is a strong, “none of my business ethic in that part of the country).

But the Coast, in general, is pretty good (though Orange County South is too conservative for my taste).

Inland Calif. is pretty conservative, and really variable (I’d rather be charged with murder in Texas than anything in Kern County, esp. Bakersfield), but there are also amazing pockets of crafty/hippie liberal sorts all over the state.

The other really conservative part of Calif. is the actual North, away from Humboldt, etc, and over to the Sierras. Population density is low, and the level of oddball (in bad ways) is high. I’d not be surprised to discover a group of FLDS, or the like up there. (Calif really is like six different cultural regions).

All in all, I my preferred places are probably The Bay, San Luis Obispo, Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, Boston.

pecunium

fade: Did you see they think they found the mechanism for fibro? If it’s true they may have effective treatments in the not so distant future.

Argenti Aertheri

David — I just got up and we’re at just over 1,500 with 1,000 lurkers. So idk on closing it yet. Maybe edit the post with something like “add it closes in 24 hours”?

Ex-fiancé’s brother’s GF — he told me you took it, didn’t say anything more than that but you’re still welcome to email me! (And delurk, we have cupcakes and come on, we’ve got to be friendly, I post here and like people as much as he does!)

Pecunium — yeah, my father seems to have missed the “none of your business” memo. He gets told it a lot! And maybe you should come visit me, New Haven, smack in the middle of Boston and NYC!

Everybody — what sort of questions do you want answered about our religions? I’ve gotten what religious combinations we are compiled for the first 1,000~ surveys, but trying to run stats on the correlations between all the religions would take months. I’ll do the main categories, e.g. people who checked Chrisitan are more/less likely to have checked parody religions, but the individual religions are just so incredibly varied.

Things I can say already — we’re very white, and probably more so than r/mr but I have to figure out what I’d expect to see given the countries the replies are from (a good chunk are from countries far less mixed than the US and we don’t have comparison data besides population statistics); won’t take terribly long but I’m probably going to finish with that first chunk of surveys first. We’re almost certainly more female and less cis than the general population, to a statistically significant degree.

Randomly, I dreamt of surveys. Yeah, I’ve spent that much time looking at them. Surveys and loose lions…my brain is weird.

Howard Bannister

@Argenti: regarding the religion section;

I actually was going through thinking to myself “let’s see, a list of denomination will probably have baptist, and that’s pretty close to the Stone/Campbell tradition, I can check that.”

Then I saw that the survey had broken out the different strains of StoneCampbellite thought. I actually boggled for a minute.

/personallyrevealinginfotopersonreadingsurvey

About religion? I’d be interested in seeing its relationship to the “how do you fit in” question.

Fade

okay, I got like 4 comments eaten in a row so

@ pecunium

Was that the damage to the tiny fibres thing, or something else? (I’ll do a link to the fibres paper if you want, but I’m wondering if that’s what’s eating my posts)

And i didn’t mean to make it sound like I can’t work at all; I just can’t work ATM, especially in combination with school

Argenti Aertheri

Howard — thank whomever gave me that link to the page with ALL THE RELIGIONS. And at least a couple people checked one of the Stone-Campbell churchs.

Katz — be more specific? Like, I can do how religious are you vs acceptance, but was that what you meant?

WalkingStickBug
WalkingStickBug

Hi! I felt like this was a good a time as any to delurk. I enjoyed taking the survey, holy moly there are alot of political movements/religions/genders that I have no idea about! It must have taken a long time to put this together and I appreciate the hard work on the survey and the work Mr. Futrelle puts into this blog.

Falconer

It was the natural thing to have him do a comics series toting a baby around.

XTREEM BABY WEARING

C’MON MAN GOTTA GET THAT 12 YEAR OLD BOY DOLLAR

Welp, guess we’ll have to apologize to Obsidian Fpfffffft HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nope, couldn’t keep a straight face.

Argenti Aertheri

Yeah well, the point in that thread stands — our tolerance for racist dog whistles is way less than the MRM’s.

Also, I do need to calculate what I’d expect to see, last I checked just about half were in the US, about another quarter Canada, Australia, UK (and about 20 of you in New Zealand), and then the rest are from places as varied as Kenya and South Korea (and Jordan, and damn near ever EU state [actually, let me check that, we were only missing a couple, could be all of them now])

In other words, on a map, probably more diverse countrywise, but a lot of very white countries represented (and a fair number of less white countries, but only a few people in each).

Oh and we’re not all middle class. I need to run that versus the stats that go with the definitions, write up a neon flashing disclaimer about the data being maybe 50%~ accurate given they’re US definitions, but right off, we’re definitely less…um. Ok, take the classes above middle class, lump them, compare with us. We’re less that than my definitions say is average. So middle class and lower feminism, not middle class and higher?

Needs math, and me to be better with wording things.

Falconer

BUT BUT BUT we eat more oranges than they do! So we can’t critize them! Don’t you see?!

Falconer

*criticize

Marie
Marie

@falconer

I feel like I missed something 😛

Yeah, something like that.

Oranges?

Marie, I missed it too.

We do have a lot of “oh no, my freeze peach!!” though.

Marie
Marie

@Argenti Aertheri

I chose that one. XD I couldn’t resist.

Argenti Aertheri

Katz — k, it’ll be a correlation, but yeah, both those scales are numerical, so should be pretty simple 🙂

Argenti Aertheri

Marie — you and about 50% of the rest of us!

Gillian

You know, that brings up the one set of questions I felt kind funny about. I was raised in a religious tradition, and that strongly influenced my values and feelings against religion. I’m an agnostic who leans strongly toward atheism and I wished (albeit monetarily) for a way to make that clearer.

Which I suppose I am doing right now. 😉

Otherwise, I thought the survey was well constructed and I can’t wait to see the overall results, though I wonder how you will account for the lack of unanimity given the fact that we are all, in fact, just a bunch of ferrets in a David suit.

Falconer

I feel like I missed something 😛

Sorry, probably went too fast.

Remember that post a few days ago about the breakdown of r/mr commenters? Mostly white, mostly male, mostly 18-24? The reason Argenti is not going to have any hair left in a day or two, because we’re running a parallel (but more detailed — way more detailed) survey?

Guy named Obsidian shows up in the comments and runs the thread up over 1,000 comments going I BET YOU’RE ALL WHITE, TOO LOOK DAVID TALKS TO WHITE PEOPLE ON TWITTER and ignoring that the actual point is r/mr spends a lot of time railing against thug cock and being generally racist douchenozzles and we don’t.

So I chose something completely irrelevant to race statistics, and unlikely to start an argument, hence: oranges.

Sorry.

Falconer

Now of course someone’s going to start arguing about oranges because, racist douchenozzles we may not be, but COMPLEAT SMARTARSES we certainly are.

Marie
Marie

@Argenti Aertheri

Marie — you and about 50% of the rest of us!

Wow, that’s a lot XD

@Falconer

Ah thanks for explaining 😀 I must have missed that thread.

Argenti Aertheri

A fully, only 101 of us are ferrets in a David suit.

Gillian — hm…shit. I’ll have to include a note that the data will include people who’s religious upbringing influenced their current views against religion (which I really should’ve thought of since that’s kinda how I answered it >.< )

Pecunium — I still have Oysterband stuck in my head. And I still blame you.

Gillian

Argenti, no worries! You have achieved a wondrous feat, and besides, having footnotes will make it all official and academicy and the like.

Oh, and oranges? Did I miss the thing about oranges? I’m not sure I remember oranges…

Gillian

Then again, once I figured out you were allowing multiple responses, I had a tough time not clicking ALL THE THINGS! on nearly every question.

So I apologize.

pecunium

Argenti: I’ve had them stuck in my head for… five years. I shan’t say I blame Marna Nightingale.

Such a thing to be blamed for. I notice that obsidian Flaked.

Falconer

You mean he didn’t come back after his 8 hours of moderation were up? I’m shocked!!

Gillian

I notice that obsidian Flaked.

You know, that’s what I love about this place. All the snark and smartassedness you could hope for, dressed up with linguistically, historically, geographically, and geologically correct details for extra lulzy goodness.

Argenti Aertheri

See, you’ll survive being blamed for it! Think you can conjure us up some wind or something? It’s too hot to data.

Howard Bannister

And at least a couple people checked one of the Stone-Campbell churchs.

…o really?

…guys, you’re not alone.

Argenti Aertheri

Give me 2 min and I’ll pull the number.

Argenti, not to bug you, but is there a way we can view the survey questions if we’ve already taken it?

Howard Bannister

Also, at Gillian, I think the question was, were you raised religious, how much did it impact you; a little, a lot, etc. I said a lot.

I also said currently over in the atheist bucket.

So I think if you cross-reference religious upbringing vs. non-religious outcome with impacted a lot by religious upbringing…

We’ll have created even more work for Argenti.

Sorry1!!!!

Gillian

Heee! MOAR FOOTNOTES!!!

Argenti Aertheri

Ok, excel spat on me again. That took longer than it needed to.

Of the first 1,104 that I exported:
Former 2

From the survey data itself, one current, and 4 former (including the two above and idk if the other two are two people or one who checked two boxes).

So yeah, there are about 5 of you, and mostly former members.

Howard Bannister

one current

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, RUN, RUN, RUN!!!!

…not that I have strong feelings on the subject.

Howard Bannister

4 former

We can smoke them out. Just get me an organ, and…..

Katz — give me 5!

Kittehserf

Yes, but, but how many of us are David? Or cats in a David suit, or both? (Me.)

@Fade – I look at the avatars as our faces, too. Which makes for some very weird images. I’d been looking at Maude’s and cloudiah’s changing kitty pics and thought it was time to give Mads an airing again. 🙂

staceyjwsolar
staceyjwsolar

Where is the option FERRETS as the #1 animal??
I know, I know, all caps. But FERRETS RULE 🙂

Argenti Aertheri

Unique replies, same set of data as above —

David: 31
Cats in a David suit: 64
Ferrets in a David suit: 35
David // cats in a David suit: 19
David // ferrets in a David suit: 4
Cats in a David suit // ferrets in a David suit: 18
David // cats in a David suit // ferrets in a David suit: 22

So all total 174 of the first 1,104 replies are from some form of David.

Kitteh — 105 of those include cats in David suits.

Argenti Aertheri

Again, I apologize to all the animals I forgot, and their fans. You’ll have to go for all other furry things I guess.

Hyena Girl

And you forgot hyenas, I am shocked, shocked and horrified (not really) =^.^=

You just know there’s going to end up being more pushback over the favorite-animal choices than over the religion and political affiliation choices XD

Hyena Girl

katz:
We know what’s really important.

And WHERE ARE CHINCHILLAS, MAY I ASK?

leftwingfox

And foxes. 😀

Hyena Girl
Reply to  leftwingfox

*pounces on a new point of contention like a squeaky toy*