announcements self-promotion

The Man Boobz Survey is up! Go take it! [UPDATE: Survey closes Thursday at 8 PM, EST]

Survey says: Actually, none of these are options on the Man Boobz survey
Survey says: Actually, none of these are options on the Man Boobz survey

Thanks to the hard work of Argenti Aertheri and the suggestions of various other Boobzers, the Man Boobz survey is now up and ready to be taken. It will give me — and all of you — a better picture of just what sort of people read Man Boobz on a regular basis. It’s completely anonymous. Go take it! It will only take a few minutes.

I will probably leave it up for a couple of days, and will report the results here as soon as the numbers are crunched.

I think pretty much any other question you might have about it will probably be answered on the survey itself, so hop to it!

Thanks Argenti!

Cthulhu's Intern

And I just did it. It was a very well done survey.

tarnishedsophia

For question #8, I’m physically a heterosexual woman but have a male mind and live with gender dysmorphia. On my own blog, I wrote about how I’m androgynous…but with all these different options, I’m unsure now. Some of them I’ve never even seen before…

Anyone know which one I should select? Or know of a website that defines all those terms? Please and thanks!

Karalora
Karalora

The question about ranking animals left me stymied for a good bit. I love animals in general. If pushed hard enough, I’ll admit to some preferences, but I’ve never sat down and put them in order like that.

Kim
Kim

Done!

Lady Mondegreen

Very cool!

Suggestion: Is it too late to add bats to the critters list? /important detail

Aaliyah

Done. Now that was an impressive survey. So detailed! =O

hippodameia8527
hippodameia8527

Thank you, Argenti! This is fantastic!

hellkell
hellkell

Awesome survey, Argenti! Very well done.

Sid
Sid

Where are my internet hugs? 🙁

Xen
Xen

Heh heh heh, I have many mismatched towels. And socks, does that count?

Carmen Finnigan

I love that the gender question had six or so options.

Quackers
Quackers

done and done!

*hugs to all who want them*

picklefactory
picklefactory

It was worth skipping all of those religious affiliations in order to specify that I am in fact a Zombie Ninja Pirate Robot.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

In #9, the list under trans* seems to be ethnicity. (I’m a compulsive options-checker.)

Shadow
Shadow

Done. Awesome survey Argenti. Also, all the hugs for the incredible amount of effort you put in to make sure you’re as inclusive as possible.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Just took the survey. My compliments to Argenti, to whom may all the FREEZE PEACHES be given. I look forward to the seeing the results.

Oh, and hugs all around to whoever wants one.

augochlorella
augochlorella

Thanks for putting in all the work to make this, Argenti. I’m really looking forward to seeing the results.

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

Well the truth is out. I’m an Atheist Discordian Luciferian Satanist raised as Mainstream (Canada) US Catholic.

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

@Xen MISMATCHED TOWELS! If a man visited and wanted to use a towel untainted by femininity, he would be cofused by your array of towels which are not blue or pink! MISANDRY!

Kittehserf

Loved that survey! Thank you again, Argenti. 🙂

I’m looking forward to knowing how many Manboobzers are:

David
Cats in a David suit
Married to a king
Sitting on hard MISANDRIST chairs
Female WHORE penguins
90% of our trolls

Great job, Argenti!

If it’s not too late to edit, I noticed a couple of “disablities”, and you may want to check affect/effect in question 23 (I’m pretty sure that it should be effect, but I don’t want to swear to that in a court of law).

Halite

Done and done. So much applause for Argenti and all the work zie did!!

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

Argenti, amazing survey.

@tarnishedsophia

I don’t think there’s a right answer and I don’t think you’ll break the results if you select whichever options you understand as applying to you.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Oops, that was kind of assholish of me. Sorry, Argenti, and thank you for your hard work. It was a fun survey, both the brainstorming and the filling-in. I can’t wait to see if our actual mix matches the one in my head.

freitag235
freitag235

I’m sitting on a hard MISANDRIST chair, and I may die from it. Oh, my inferior weight-bearing buttock pads, whatever shall I do?

Tarnishedsophia, maybe this list of gender-identity terms will help? (And now I kind of want to identify as “demigirl.”)

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

My only problem with the survey was the definition of economic classes being based mostly around level of income, which is sort of a liberal economics definition of class. I admit the other option would be a sociological definition which pretty much accepts Marxist/socialist definitions by default. OTOH I just want to make it clear that I don’t consider the choice of definition to be “objective” just because it’s based on numbers (and *some* amount of related stereotypes, like education > high school disallows you from working class background, or even that because you had college or university education it means you’re making more than 35K$ a year). I’m just aware of the fact there isn’t really an objective definition of economic class, so it is not beyond the pale to have chosen to go with the one that is more “mainstream US politics” than the others.

serrana
serrana

By the way, I am planning to make some freeze peach muffins sometime this week. No, really. http://imgur.com/5w1IaLZ

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

I preferred picking middle class based on those definitions but I consider myself working class, and I’ve written short posts in the past about how middle class identity is mostly an American myth rather than an objectively existing economic class.

In Marxist/anarchist terms the middle class is composed of professionals, which includes doctors, lawyers, academics and the like. However there has been a process of “professionalisation” of many workplaces where working class jobs have adopted middle class values and posturing. Things like the IT/software development industry, for instance, which is very much proletarized in truth but where people self-id as professionals because of a cultural opposition to worker organizing and unions. This is where “college/university eduction” comes in, because it used to be that that educational track mostly led into academia in the past, where it is now a necessary component even of working class careers to differentiate yourself from the mass of the unemployed with a college degree.

Sid
Sid

Serrana: Holy crap. You must take pictures and post them. So that I may drool all over my monitor.

Also, Argenti: On the religious question, under pagan religions, what was the difference between “Other” and “Other Neopagan/Pagan”? I put the latter down, just hope I didn’t mess it up.

sredni_vashtar
sredni_vashtar

Hey! I’ve been a regular lurker on this blog for ages; I took the survey and just thought I would yield to the gentle invitation therein to come out of the shadows and comment. Love the blog, it’s hilarious even if it is sometimes pretty spooky to see how the people featured can be walking among us with such weird convictions about hypergamy and alphaness and ‘the female hindbrain’ and the like.

MaudeLL

Good one!
Thanks for the hugs! *optional hugs back*

@unimaginative
I think question #9 refers to identities loosely related to (US categorization of) trans*, with conceptual/categorization particularities or differences.

Kittehserf

@serrana – “Awesome survey, Argenti, thanks! I wonder how many people will claim they are married to a king?”

Hey, shouldn’t there have been a “Married to Pierre” question for you?

@freitag – you’re gonna have to sue Dave. Or alternatively, your university. Because MISANDRY.

I particularly appreciate that all the snark got constrained to one section; it’s so tempting to put a snark answer in a serious question, but then everyone wants to pick it and it can seriously undermine the real data.

cloudiah

Argenti, you are awesome and your survey is awesome. That took a lot of hard work. Thanks!

lowquacks
lowquacks

Excellent survey. Should be interesting to see who is reading David’s little round-ups of the loopier parts of the internet/the asinine conversations about cats beneath them.

MaudeLL

I can’t put hypergamy, even as a snark. Somehow, I feel like a few MRAs would use it for PROOF of feminist seekrit hypergamous tendencies.

lowquacks
lowquacks

Don’t want to add to the criticism of the survey, but there doesn’t look to be a question for country/location. Presumably David can get some idea of that sort of thing from the website stats, so probably not a big omission/maybe intentional? Iunno. I had fun and can’t wait to see the results anyway.

Omnicrom
Omnicrom

As a devoted Madokaist, observer of Jesus Yamato, Moriya shrine adherent, Favored One of Nyarlathotep, Follower of Godai the Rider, crusader of Getter, believer in the Crimson Dragon, cleric of the humanist Taijorokun, and worshiper of those who sway the Great Will I’m very upset that my long list of fake fake religions didn’t make it into your list.

Also if you got more than half of those references you have my admiration.

serrana
serrana

Hey, shouldn’t there have been a “Married to Pierre” question for you?

Haha, I noticed the other day that Mr. S/the former Mr. Dammit kind of resembles Pierre. I think that’s why I proposed.

Sid, I most certainly will post pictures of my Freeze Peach muffins when I get around to making them.

As far as the class question goes, I wonder if Argenti was trying to collect data parallel to the MRA survey? Class is subjective – I almost answered a class lower than I am. Most surveys ask income level and education and leave it at that. It’s certainly an interesting question, though!

serrana
serrana

sredni_vashtar, welcome from a sometimes regular, sometimes lurker. Here is your official Manboobz Welcome Package.

Ben
Ben

The question about Peach Freeze didn’t have an zero option. Is it bad that I’ve never had it?

ignotussomnium
ignotussomnium

😀 A survey where I can actually select agender? So much love! And I adore all the political options. My only complaint is the lack of ferrets in the pets question.

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

David: problem with your data is it counts hits rather than individuals, which skews numbers towards heavy users.

theseventhguest

I was doing the survey, and on the last page I realized I am also David. Up to this point, I had never analyzed the weird feelings I had when reading posts, but it all makes sense now. I am also made entirely of cats, and I am made entirely of ferrets. Now I know who I am. Thank you so much, Argenti.

Skybison
Skybison

Hi, humble lurker here, I’ve just got a question I want to ask:

What is the difference between Social Democratism, Democratic Socialism and regular US liberalism? I’m one of those three but I’m not sure which.

I choose Social Democrat because the NDP was listed as this and I normally vote for them.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

Whoa! This has got to be the most inclusive survey I have ever taken! The religion page was particularly educational, as it has so many religions and branches of religions I never even heard of! (Basement cat? Is that the enemy of ceiling cat? Is Armewgeddon upon us?)

I also liked how several questions like sexual orientation allow you to pick more than one and are also optional, as it helps when you’re not too sure or don’t feel comfortable.

Kittehserf

Welcome, sredni_vashtar and Omnicrom! 🙂

Kittehserf

BritterSweet – yes, Basement Cat is Ceiling Cat’s enemy. “Armewgeddon” love it! 😀

Armewgeddon