"proxy violence" douchebaggery dozens of upvotes evil women men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA not-quite-explicit threats reddit

Killing an ex-wife: A Men’s Right?

Evidently it is, at least according to these Men’s Rights Redditors and the people who upvoted them:

MRcontractkilling

Oh, I know, they were JOKING. Pretty hilarious joke there, fellas!

I’ve got a few more based on the same formula:

How many [insert name of group you don’t like] does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

It only takes one to “accidentally” electrocute themselves doing this routine household chore, if you catch my drift, nudge nudge.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

I don’t know but it would be a shame if he didn’t make it all the way across if you know what I mean.

Knock knock

Who’s there?

It would be a shame if the person you let in the door were to murder your family, hint hint.

Yeah, those really aren’t jokes, per se, are they?

Thanks to Cloudiah for pointing me to this lovely little Men’s Rights subreddit exchange.

leftwingfox

I think Roger is what happens when you invite book of overwrought philosophy to a frat kegger.

Howard Bannister

I can’t help going back and reading. Every part is so amazingly discordant. It contradicts itself.

And the many references to what David has said… all of them things that it’s pretty plain obvious David hasn’t said… these are the most hilarious.

We’re strike teams!

If it were true, as he claims, that character development is not a matter of “strength through adversity” but rather, “entitlement through victimization”,

We’re victims!!

he spews out the hackneyed excuse that education and open-mindedness are some kind of liability

We’re anti-education!

David claims that the Scriptures are responsible for his exploitative, namby-pamby thoughts and fancies.

We’re Bible-beating fundamentalists!!!!

David is decidedly proud of himself for conconcting such a “brilliant” scheme for cheating on taxes

We’re tax cheats!!

….

Howard Bannister

It’s like a little song about MRA thought patterns.

When a manly man who’s not a woman
decides that he doesn’t like you

Theeeeeennnnnn

You’re a tax cheat,
you’re a fraud!
A terrorist,
and you love god!

You live in terror of what’s right
You want us all to live in fright!

You’re evil!
You’re bad!
You’re ANTI
CHRRRIIIISSSTTMAAASSSS

When the manly man
hates you

Aaliyah

At least roger didn’t say “solipsism” and “narcissism” yet. >_>

Falconer

As a work of dadaist art, roger’s screed is something else. It challenges us to consider the phrases’ meanings in a new context.

And it isn’t plagiarism: It’s found art. Just like mounting a rusted, twisted driveshaft on the wall.

Why, yes I have been to college. How could you tell?

Howard Bannister

@Falconer: I went to an art college. (admittedly, I went to the business department in the art college…) Not only have I heard those, I’ve SEEN those.

And comparing roger to a rusted, twisted drivershaft sounds about right. 😀

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I hope Roger comes back to answer questions about his giant screed. I noticed this from the end

If David’s goons had even an ounce of integrity they would reveal the nature and activity of David’s bootlickers and expose their inner contexts as well as their ultimate final aims.

So, some of us are David’s bootlickers and have evil goals. Okay. But some of us are goons, and can prove our integrity by exposing the bootlickers’ aims. All right, so what I want to know is how can we distinguish the bootlickers from the goons? Also, if their goals are hidden in their inner contexts, how can anyone expose them?

But I have a feeling he won’t come back. He just dropped a turd and ran away. I miss the trolls that would engage with us, because that’s more entertaining.

Howard Bannister

If I prove I DON’T have an ounce of integrity, can I level up from goon to bootlicker?

How many feminism points do I need ot accrue? I can sit in a hard chair.

Falconer

Well, I almost have an art minor. If only I had taken a ceramics course, I would be fully qualified to mansplain to all and sundry about Art.

And most of the time, found art that’s just some discarded thing hung on a wall leaves me cold, and wondering what the point is. I mostly want to protest, you gotta do something with it.

Turn it into a vase, at least. It may be cliched but it gives this broken thing you found in a field some dignity.

I may be snobbish because I tend to think of art as something the artist has made themselves.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Well I was thinking lulz troll, but Flaconer’s interpretation works too.

Oh and Black Fedora has 7 votes to ban at this point.

AK
AK

I agree. I think that earlier examples of “found art” as something just displayed in a gallery with little or no change were interesting because they challenged people’s perception of what art is (oh my god that sounds pretentious). So I’m not opposed to the concept.

Now it mostly just comes across as lazy though. I just walked through several shops selling found art over the weekend, and it’s just absurd at this point. I mean, if the artist can get someone to pay for that stuff then more power to ’em, but I’m still going to think they’re somehow managing to be ridiculous and dull at the same time.

AK
AK

Oh, and I’ll add in my vote against Black Hat. He’s starting to remind me of a toddler trying to get his busy parents’ attention.

Falconer

Oh, I was already all for bannination of The Lid, but after that baby joke I’m in a flensing mood.

Howard Bannister

Seriously, roger cut and pasted a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the blog and he was engaging more with what was actually said that TBF.

Falconer

I guess those original artists would have thought me a terrible grognard.

I’m all for variety in art. After three years’ worth of courses with at least one Art History course a year, I am sick and tired of fuckin’ crucifixion art. That’s all anybody in Europe wanted to paint for the longest time, mostly because the only folks with any money were the Church.

Somehow these courses left me with the impression that Asian art didn’t have a whole lot of portraits in it, which has got to be false because of all those Japanese silk paintings.

Falconer

Those Japanese silk paintings, at least.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

That sounds reasonable to me, although I was thinking goons are the level above bootlickers. Either way, everyone should be allowed to choose which role they play, as long as they help David in his anti intellectual, fundamentalist, get rich quick schemes.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Falconer — Chinese silk paintings use a different technique, but many of the same subjects. (And, of course, the terra cotta soldiers)

The quotes in Roger’s screed are a nice touch; all trolls claim David said things he didn’t, but actually making up quotes and claiming he said them is going above and beyond.

Briznecko

Well poop. WordPress ate my long and nerdy Dada comment and it won’t let me re-post it. Although I was doing some links and blockquote gymnastics…

Briznecko

As a baby art historian, I approve of this comment.

They say any artist paying six dollars may exhibit.
Mr. Richard Mutt sent in a fountain. Without discussion this article disappeared and
never was exhibited.

What were the grounds for refusing Mr. Mutt’s fountain:

1 Some contended it was immoral, vulgar.
2 Others, it was plagiarism, a plain piece of plumbing.

Now Mr. Mutt’s fountain is not immoral, that is absurd, no more than a bathtub is immoral. It is a fixture that you see every day in plumbers’ show windows. Whether Mr. Mutt with his own hands made the fountain or not has no importance. He CHOSE it. He took an ordinary article of life, placed it so that its useful significance disappeared under the new title and point of view—created a new thought for that object.
As for plumbing, that is absurd. The only works of art America has given are her plumbing and her bridges.

Marcel Duchamp, “The Richard Mutt Case” (Letter to The Blind Man, May 1917

In this letter Marcel Duchamp was completeing his epic troll – under a psydoname he submitted a urinal to a non-juried exhibition to test if they would actually exhibit it. Naturally they did not, and he published this letter in defense to combat their reasoning why. In that context I love found art – it raises the fundemental question of what is considered art and who gets to say so. That said, after attending art college myself, I have seen way to many BAD BAD NO GOOD found art and assemblage art pieces.

PS: Howard, please accept one internet gift-wrapped with the poems of Baroness Elsa von Freytag Lorignhoven poetry. Also! Recent scholarship suggests she was the one who came up with Duchamps epic Fountain, not Duchamp.

/nerd-out

Falconer

I guess I was just realizing how Eurocentric my art history classes were.

And that’s not even counting the Art of Northern Europe course, which is supposed to be Eurocentric.

Thanks David!

Falconer

Thanks!

Hawt Glue Mess

Alimony is inherently sexist to begin with. As a woman, I can’t imagine trying to claim to be a “feminist” and begging for money from an ex at the same time. Grow up and get a job.

auggziliary
auggziliary

Rant on art and maybe feminism:

If we are going to talk about art, I’m really damn sick of seeing the same* girls in contemporary art. Like the white, pinup, waif, long flowing hair, perky breasts, some lacy tattoos, and maybe holding a pistol or cigarette. It’s really annoying. I wish people would stop acting like a girl being young and pretty is something that makes a girl super mysterious, virtuous, or even badass. Plus it’s old. People have been painting pretty women since… ever. I get it. Attractive ladies are nice to look at.

*I don’t mean that any art featuring a woman who is attractive is bad. Just when people make the art entirely depend on her beauty(and not create their own in some way by modifying things).

auggziliary
auggziliary

Also, thanks David!

freemage
freemage

Falconer: I remember reading as a youth a book about a Hasidic child who had a knack for painting. He eventually managed to finagle a tutelage under another Hasidic painter who was largely considered a quasi-pariah by the community. The older painter takes him to one of the New York art museums for the first time.

Now, say what you will about those Crucifixion paintings, many of them are incredibly powerful (possibly in ways that the artist or sponsor didn’t mean, but still evocative).

This becomes a major point of contention, because his father is incensed when he starts doing sketches of “that man”, as his father puts it. The kid eventually ends up breaking from his family over the issue, because he’s compelled to paint, more than worship.

***

On a side note, I like some found art. It usually needs some degree of modification or presentation to work, however. If you’re not going to tweak it, or combine pieces into something else, then you at least need to go for childhood wonder and present it at an angle that evokes some shape in the human mind. If that twisted crankshaft looks like a flower or a serpent, that will grab me.

Briznecko

Um, that’s not entirely accurate. Alimony began as a way to keep divorced women from being thrown into poverty. Quite a few middle class women stayed at home, and upon divorce, suddenly had to find jobs after being out of the work force for many years. It was put in place to provide for those women and help them get on their feet and care for their children, not eat bon bons while laughing evily at their acheivement.

Also, that was then. Today alimony isn’t imposed that often because typically both parties were working to begin with, and therefore isn’t necessary.

History, it’s kinda important. The more you know! *Rainbow swish*

Freitag
Freitag

@freemage, I think the book you read was “My Name is Asher Lev” by Chaim Potok.

A great and powerful book, and highly recommended. Available for e-readers as well as dead-tree edition.

freemage
freemage

Hawt Glue Mess:

1: Alimony is specifically meant as a remedy for one partner being placed in the ‘homemaker’ role for a considerable portion of their life when they would otherwise be either training or developing a work history. Doing the traditional homemaker role often meant that the breadwinner was more able to focus on their job, thereby enriching both of them, and alimony was a corrective for that.

2: Even in two-income families, the lower-paid spouse is often the one called upon to compromise, such as when the other gains a new job in a new city that pays more, or when they decide to have a child and one of them needs to cut back on their work hours (or professional commitments outside of official hours that would enable them to network). Because of the patriarchal pay structure (as a feminist, you should be familiar with that concept, right?), that role, as with the classic homemaker role, has often been thrust upon women.

3: But good news, my feminist ally! See, as time goes on and we really do manage to see more equity and less gender-essentialist bullshit in society, the roles described above are either not occurring as frequently (both partners are roughly equal in pay), OR the roles are actually reversed. And guess what? In the null-cases, there is no alimony; in the reversals, the housekeeping/lower-earning husband is the one who receives alimony! So you don’t need to worry about alimony being ‘sexist’ after all. Isn’t that great?

In short, alimony is a equalizer that arises from past behavior and present conditions, not some scheme to permit women to sponge off of a spouse indefinitely.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Dear Roger,

I’m quite fond of the English language and communication arts, so please, please, stop mangling both. I realized you, errr, “borrowed” some phrases from here and there, thinking it would make you sound intellectual, but it had the opposite effect here. Also, you made references to events that apparently, happened only in your head:

“David insists that people don’t mind having their communities turned into war zones.”

Huh? When did this happen, Roger?
I guess you mean women expecting equality will turn homes into war zones…but you could have just worded it that way. Also, suggesting that bitches refusing to make sandwiches or not liking “jokes” about men murdering their ex-wives is grounds for warfare says a lot about you — and none of it good, my little shit lord.

You know, I used to tutor college kids in English Lit. A lot of them thought I couldn’t tell when they swallowed a thesarus, plagiarized or used words they didn’t understand. But I could tell, Roger. I got used to reading sentences that sounded like this:

“His allocutions emphasize the formation of small units of impudent apostles that can avoid detection by authorities, strike quickly and disperse, and, to some extent, institutionalize sex discrimination by requiring different standards of protection and behavior for men and women, and that’s one reason why I’m writing this letter.”

I mean…wow. I get the jokes people here are making about found art, but from my perspective, your posts are more like an unruly montage or sculpture.
Though, I actually believe you came up with “…and that’s one reason I’m writing this letter” all by yourself.

And does anyone know what the hell this is all about?

“Did he cancel his plans to quote me out of context because he had a change of heart, or is he continuing the same battle on another front? It would appear to be the latter.”

freemage
freemage

Freitag: Yes! Asher Lev! Thank you. I’m hoping I remember most of the plot-points right–it was… yeesh. 3 decades ago?

Falconer

I mostly find Christian-sponsored art dull, probably none so much as CCM, and probably because the artist is trying to please somebody, really.

freemage
freemage

Falconer: Oh, no doubt–but keep in mind the difference between seeing it for the first time, as opposed to being forced to study so much of it you can probably replicate it in your sleep.

Kittehserf

Freitag, good to see you posting again! How’ve you been?

Detached
Detached

So yea, I read about GGG just now. Fuck, I had just laughed hard from some video games family time. I wasn’t ready for the gold this guy spews. I’ve never heard of GGG, ever.

Kittehserf

Yeah, GGG started out as … weird funny, so bizarre, but people who’ve read more about him or read his blog have said how genuinely creepy and possibly dangerous he is. I’m not sure if he claims to have committed rape or not (no way am I going to his blog) but he’s been described as all too likely to go postal eventually. Nasty piece of work.

emilygoddess

@kittehserf he admits to blackmailing a woman into having sex with him, and alternately claims it wasn’t really blackmail/he was entitled because “incel”

Drew Nighlok
Drew Nighlok

Ignore GGG if he bothers you so damn much.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Every time he starts in on that “you can’t apply normal ethical standards to me on account of my sad neglected boner” thing I want to respond with “don’t think that argument will hold up in court, buddy”. Fucked up he most certainly is, but I’m deriving a great deal of schadenfreude from watching him make an ass of himself in public.

ostara321
ostara321

@emilygoddess, don’t forget the bits about admitting to attacking his parents because they wouldn’t fix him up with someone. Also trying to con his mother and therapist into servicing his sad boner because, SAD BONER. He, naturally, claims to be a “nice guy” who women should “just know” isn’t dangerous just by “talking to him”. And of course, as such, the nice, non-dangerous reaction to a woman online cutting off contact because she got scared off by another creeper on the internet is to rage about how stupid and immature she is, because duh, you can totally tell just by talking to men on the internet whether or not they’re dangerous.

It’s one part laughable irony, two parts “yikes this guy is actually for real” scary, and one part just plain sad. I honestly feel bad for him because it’s obvious he gets in his own way, but I feel worse for the people who have to interact with him.

emilygoddess

@Ostara, I hadn’t forgotten any of that. *shudder* I was just responding to Kittehs asking if he’d admitted to rape.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ ostara

You actually feel sorry for him? I don’t. He’s made his own bed, now he gets to lie in it for the rest of his life.

ostara321
ostara321

I know it’s totally unwarranted pity, but I just think it’s sad that he basically did it to himself and KEEPS doing it to himself, in the face of a lot of evidence that this is a self-made problem. But like I said, I feel more sorry for the people in his life (family, friends, random women he may encounter) because he’s obviously dangerous and difficult to engage with.

That’s of course, not to say I didn’t enjoy watching a good proverbial trainwreck, just like anyone else.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Clearly you’re a kinder person than me. Given how awful he is I tend to consider his present and presumably future unhappiness as a sign that karma is a wonderful thing.

ostara321
ostara321

I don’t know about kinder so much as maybe just more of a sucker.

Briznecko

I’m too skeezed-out by GGG to take a peek in his blog, but has something new happened? I know about his general creep-tastic nature, but did something new happened?

*just wondering if I need to start popping popcorn

Briznecko

Wow, repetative and incorrect tense. I write good, I promise.