antifeminism antifeminst women homophobia hundreds of upvotes misogyny MRA oppressed men radfems oh my reddit straw feminists

The Men’s Rights Subreddit finds a new woman to love! (Because she hates lesbian feminists.)

redditmensrightsfavoritelady
Mysterious lady, the Men’s Rights subreddit wants to buy you a drink.

The Men’s Rights subreddit has a new favorite lady! The one in the pictures above, if you haven’t guessed. Her name is Sonia Verstappen, and until recently she was a sex worker in Brussels; she’s also an activist for the legalization of sex work. The stills above are apparently from a documentary called Sex Workers and Proud.

The Men’s Rights Redditors who love her don’t actually know any of this. They just love her because she’s a women who apparently thinks hysterical, man-destroying American lesbians have taken over feminism.

This little set of screenshots has been posted to the Men’s Rights subreddit several times before, and I’m pretty sure it’s always gotten a positive response, but never quite as positive as it’s gotten this time: as I write this, it’s been sitting comfortably in the #1 spot on the subreddit’s main page for some time, and has garnered more than twelve hundred net upvotes. The headline? “Wise words.”

[EDITED TO ADD: I stand corrected: On one previous occasion three months ago, the same collection of screenshots recieved more than 1900 upvotes and generated more than 500 comments, making it the 18th most popular post of all time in the Men’s Rights subreddit. Men’s Rights Redditors can’t get enough of this lady they don’t know anything about!]

The main debate going on amongst the regulars is whether or not the man-hating feminists in question are really lesbians or not. No, really. The regulars have all sorts of interesting theories on the subject. And by “interesting,” I mean “ignorant and homophobic and generally just … well, read it.

mr1mr2mr3

I mean, even setting aside Idiopathic77’s rather limited understanding of the mechanics of lesbian sex (and sex in general, come to think of it), that’s just … weird.  I guess this sort of discussion is what happens when you learn about feminism entirely from the Men’s Rights subreddit and YouTube trolls. It’s a bit like learning about Jewish people entirely from The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and this clip from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

But where exactly is Whisper here running across all these “lesbian separatists” and heterosexual-women-turned-lesbian-for-political-reasons?

I mean, there was once upon a time in that wild and wacky era called “the seventies” a thing called “political lesbianism” that was based on the idea of lesbianism as a choice, but it got pushed to the fringes fairly quickly, because, you know, sexuality doesn’t really work that way.

Has Whisper developed some sort of time machine? Or do women just declare themselves lesbians when he starts talking to them because it’s a quicker way to get rid of him than giving him a fake phone number? That could also explain those 20% of Florida women who apparently gave  Idiopathic77 the impression that they were lesbians of the phony, man-hating sort.

becausescience
becausescience

Also, it’s funny that guys like Minty claim that being an asshole is just sooo attractive to all women, when I’ve read that plenty of puas themselves say they get rejected all the time, which shouldn’t happen if being an asshole is so irresistible (to ALL women, remember?).

There was this story in Jezebel a few months ago about a pua named Jeffy who’d been messaging all these women on Ok Cupid in San Francisco. Despite being a pickup guru who’d been teaching guys for years how to attract women, most of the girls who he messaged ignored him, and when he did get a woman back to his place, he threw a fit when she wouldn’t sleep with him.

I remember reading the comments on the article and guys chiming in saying “Well sure he’s an asshole, but his approach works”. This seems to be a common thing with puas. It doesn’t matter if most women they run their “asshole game” routine on think they’re massive tools and avoid them like the plague. As long as a tiny handful of women (if that) end up sleeping with them, they go “SEE this is what ALL women are attracted to!”

CassandraSays

There’s a Sex Panther joke in there somewhere.

marinerachel
marinerachel

“I HAZ A NEW GF!” Really, dude?

One women wants to spend time around you and you think it confirms you’re NOT a misogynist? Try again.

Viscaria
Viscaria

The list of things I am more interested in than Minty’s sex life includes… well, everything, honestly. I would rather hear about any other thing.

Aaliyah

Minter, get out of here you misogynstic deadbeat dad piece of shit.

marinerachel
marinerachel

I’m sure they’re in love and go for day hikes and drink wine and read poetry to one another.

GreySky
GreySky

What on earth was *that*?? I’ve lurked here for a while, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rant quite like it.

CassandraSays

Want something random to mock that’s more interesting than Minty? Behold – plushie sex dolls.

The vampire one is particularly lulzy.

CassandraSays

Note that her pubic hair is shaped like a bat.

GreySky
GreySky

I call sexism! Where’s my “Vlad – Prince of Darkness” with batshaped pubes?

CassandraSays

Well, if you’d settle for a sparklevamp one I’m sure someone on Etsy has probably already made it. Someday it will end up on Regretsy and then the circle of internet life will be complete.

augochlorella
augochlorella

Good to see those dolls having the perfect half-sphere boobs that men are biologically conditioned to love.

What? Your breasts aren’t dome-shaped? Then something must be wrong with them. I cite bad comic book art as my source.

GreySky
GreySky

@Cassandra
LOL – I Draw the line a sparklevamps. You gotta have standards, you know?

CassandraSays

Since I grew up partly in the Middle East the perfectly dome-shaped boobs always make me think that they should be surrounded by minarets and broadcast the call to prayer. Gotta say, it’s not the sexiest of mental associations.

bahumbugi
bahumbugi

@LBT – congrats, and that path looks wonderful.

so it seems like radfems are, by definition, transphobic. is this really the case? and did minty’s ex really come on to talk about what a dick he is because…yesss!!

sleepystalinist

pretty sure that “political lesbianism” is still a thing…
do YOU know how sexuality works, David?

@Dvarghundspossen

When I first came out of the wardrobe seventeen years ago I DID get the “you’re probably a lesbian who doesn’t dare come quite out of the closet yet” a bit, but it was WAY more common to just regard me as some sort of extra sexy version of a straight girl.

My mom did tell me me coming out to her as bi might be ‘just a phase’ >:/ Though for the rest of the conversation she was very supportive and helpful, so it was just an off moment, but blah. Though it was a phase as in a sense of me not staying bi, but rather getting more gay not less. :p God I hope that doesn’t seem super offtopic, just rambling on the closet stuff, super frazzled today, my brother’s helping me get my stuff off my old computer, but it managed to die the rest of the way so he has to get it off the harddrive.

Speaking of which, problem everyone can skip if they don’t want to (don’t want to hijack the thread too much) but anyone have any advice for coming out to possibly homophobic people? idk I mean my dad’s moving in with his fiance, who word of quasi-friend is homophobic, and it’s making me really antsy, cuz I like being out of the closet in places I hang out a lot, though ideally anywhere.

@david

“Countering” here is our old friend “Objective Observer.”

Did I ban him or just put him on moderation or what? I can’t remember.

Was that preggo puncho? I can’t keep my old trolls straight.

@markminter

I got a new girl friend. Seems

Nobody cares, Marky

Amazing enough to wonder if you pulled this out of your ass, I’d say.

about how women feel so entitled to special treatment due to biological and social conditioning they are unable to fully appreciate men’s sacrifices

Citation needed! ::throws sparkles, b/c too lazy to link to that gif::

Here you are working your ass off to refute all this shit we say and then your girls are out there just making a fool and liar out of you by doing exactly what we say they do.

With a special dose of ‘all feminist men are only feminist to get laid!’

Oh, and ‘Boob, like I saw you indirectly referring to me as a misogynist. Man, how many times do I gotta tell you buddy? I am a fucking woman hater. Stop confusing me with those other guys. Jeez.

….Did marky just become a parody of himself?

@anboy

As a female feminist once observed, So long as God is (thought of as) a Straight Male, Straight Males are (thought of as) Gods.

um…God is referred to with male pronouns, but I’m so waiting for the passage in the bible telling us God’s sexual orientation.

Marie

^That should say God is usually referred to with male pronouns. forgot to include part of sentence.

Aaliyah

I internalized the “it’s just a phase” biphobic bullshit as well. It made me feel like my sexuality was illegitimate or just something I made up to get people’s attention.

Buntzums
Buntzums

Mark Minter, why come here waving your dingaling in front of all us cat ladies? Like you think at our age we haven’t seen better? Seriously man, if you really were having such a great dating life you wouldn’t come measure pee-pee’s with David for jollies. Despite you being an asshole, strangely I still don’t like you. Go figure.

Radical Parrot

@Horsey: About those “countering”, “feminist”, and probably “horseshit” as well in your username: Inigo Montoya would like to have a word with you.

Also, does anyone else get the “librul media” vibe from Horsey?

On the topic itself:

This is to be expected. If you have such a strange, outlandish belief system as the sad little guys in the manosphere, anyone who even remotely seems to agree with you will be celebrated. You know, sort of like when you meet that one person who appers to share your pink glitter glue leather underwear fetish, and you get all excited.

Uh… nobody? Just me? Umm.. me neither. *whistles innocently*

@Radical Parrot

Uh… nobody? Just me? Umm.. me neither. *whistles innocently*

Pink glitter leather underwear would be so cute! though probably pretty uncomfortable.

Nitram
Nitram

@minty

“Funny how all that Roissy shit seems to work. I was advising this 63 year old guy on dealing with his ex and he just came back and raved at how 100% of what I said and what I said to do was true and worked. Fucking amazing huh?”

Of course it fucking works! No one here has ever question the, er, effectiveness of “game.” Since everyone in game-ville is phobic of intelligent women, strong women, older women, etc, it follows that they are only going after, and are comfortable with young women with self esteem and self worth issues. REAL challenge there, man! Nice work exploiting and manipulating that! And FYI, anyone who responds positively to being “negged” most likely does not have the best self esteem. And you’re a prick.

Questioning game because it doesn’t always work is a bit like questioning attempted murder because the victim doesn’t always end up dead.

CassandraSays

Actually many of us do point out that game doesn’t “work”. This isn’t because it doesn’t work on anyone, it’s because PUAs often claim that it works on everyone, and LOLno.

Nitram
Nitram

@cassandrasays,

Sorry, didnt mean to speak for everyone else here. I don’t think it works all the time either, just trying to point out that the succeses are successful for reasons other than what they’re claiming. For instance, I responded to that bad boy crap. Not because “SCIENCE!!!” But because I had little self worth and was intensely uncomfortable with men who treated me with respect. It took a lot of introspection, work and self talk for me to finally break that pattern and now I’m married to a beta chump feminist!*

*actually he’s a former marine. But he identifies as a feminist and, you know, respects women and all, which naturally de-alphasizes his status. /sarcasm

Kittehserf

“Mark Minter, why come here waving your dingaling in front of all us cat ladies?”

That reminds me of the story Magpie (iirc) told about zir brother doing it doggy-style and getting slashed in the jiggly bits by the cat …

As for Minty’s new inflatable girlfriend … cool story, bro.

(Or might he have saved up for one of those plushies?)

kittiwantsavatars
kittiwantsavatars

@kittehs

Ow. Ow. @cat story.

CassandraSays

To the extent that it does “work” it does so by teaching predatory men how to effectively identify the women who it will be easiest to prey upon. Lovely people, aren’t they?

Kittehserf

I suppose that it was only a matter of time before a PUA whined that rape wasn’t the best sex he’d ever had. The level of self-delusion is truly remarkable.

Kittehserf

(Rape with him as rapist, of course.)

Nitram
Nitram

Lovely indeed. I’ll never forget the season finale of “the pickup artist” when the final “challenge” was to pick up an exotic dancer. Hubby and I watched in disbelief and were appalled that the final test was to exploit an exotic dancer while she’s working and has to endure “pickups” all the time! Also strip clubs are notorious cess pools of sexual violence and assault.

CassandraSays

That’s such a perfect illustration of everything that’s wrong with the PUA mindset. Officially Hot Women are the ultimate boss that must be defeated in order to succeed in your sex quest! So go hit on them in a venue where they are required as a condition of their employment not to laugh in your face and tell you to fuck off.

Radical Parrot

@Mintyfresh, the success rate you pulled from Rectum Daily does not mean squat, the PUA artist stuff is still creepy as fuck. I know a PUA. His relationships are always doomed to fail because, surprise surprise, seeing half of the population as prey to be hunted does not a good boyfriend make. And not to generalize, but his girlfriends don’t seem to like themselves very much.

Thankfully, at least my friends are awesome. Whenever we’re in a bar and an annoying PUA tries to force himself into the conversation, our little group ignores him completely. Just like trolls in meatspace, either he leaves, or he sheds his fake confidence and starts pestering us for attention. And I find both options extremely funny. No, I don’t have much patience for these types, why do you ask?

@Marie: I know, right? And they’re not half as uncomfortable if you make sure to cut out a piece of silk and sew it inside on the sensitive areas… I mean, uh… what? Nobody was talking about pink glitter leather underwear here.

hellkell
hellkell

Also strip clubs are notorious cess pools of sexual violence and assault.

@radical parrot

Huh. If for some reason I ever want to spend time making my own pink glitter leather underwear I shall keep that in mind.

I may be continuing the off topic-ness, but way more interesting than minty. Doesn’t matter though, since my sowing skills are preettttyyy horrible.

CassandraSays

Hey, even if the people discussing sewing are OT, at least they have to courtesy to be succinct. Every comment Minty makes is crying out for a teacher with a red pen.

Radical Parrot

Ah, pick up artist artist. Redundant kitty is redundant.

Marie

re: sewing Just to clarify, I wasn’t dissing the sparkly underwear thing (I did like the idea) I just don’t have the patience or knowledge to sow anything at the moment.

Marie

wait have I been spelling sewing wrong this whole time?

thebewilderness

I thought you were planting a garden in your underdrawers.

Argenti Aertheri

…pretend it was intentional, I thought it was!

And I think there may be squat pulled from Rectum Daily, or at least, he may have to squat to gleen his “data”.

That sounded funnier in my head…

Kitteh — re: that cat — owwwwww!

Nitram
Nitram

@hellkell,
“It really depends on the establishment. I know some strippers who would put someone in the hospital if a customer tried to get cute.”

Yes, there is some variation, but statistically sexual violence and assault are the most common in strip clubs. Just the venue itself flies in the face of gender equality (which i believe to be the source of violence against women) To be clear, I’m not coming from a shaming or moralizing place in my discussion of strip clubs and/or exotic dancers.

Our local nonprofit sexual assault prevention/intervention center offered to do a free training, and the owner refused. Pretty sick considering the sheer number of reports coming outta that place.

pecunium

The densest areas for finding gay men is (as I recall; from about a decade ago) West Hollywood. I know that when I worked there, as opposed to SF, or near Greenwich Village, I saw more gay men.

What gets lost (and makes it hard to scale) is relative density. SF (as a city) probably has a higher percentage of gay men (and women) than LA. But LA is also something like 15 times the population (same for New York). So in the right parts of town, the odds are probably better in LA/NY.

But the overall attitude is better in SF (though the parts of NY I’ve been in are pretty friendly too).

Kittehserf

Now if the finale of that pick-up artist show had been in a strip club where the dancer he targeted put him in hospital … that’s a show I’d watch.

@thebewilderness – “I thought you were planting a garden in your underdrawers.”

Puts a whole new slant on the idea of floral underwear, doesn’t it?

pecunium

Minter: … what I said to do was true and worked. Fucking amazing huh?

If that happened, I am amazed.

Puts a whole new slant on the idea of floral underwear, doesn’t it?

*snrk*

Aaliyah

Really? Here in the Bay Area we have the Castro. Is it even denser than that place?

thebewilderness

I just saw something the other day that said South Florida had a higher gay population that SF. People were surprised.

LBT
LBT

Thanks for the kind words and congratulations, everyone! I am so psyched, you have no idea.

Also, not even joking, the room has three tiny closets, a weird window seat kinda deal, and a secret chamber behind a panel in the wall in which to hide in case of zombie apocalypse. AWESOMMMMME!

Now if only my former housemates would move the rest of the junk out so I can inhabit it.