antifeminism antifeminst women homophobia hundreds of upvotes misogyny MRA oppressed men radfems oh my reddit straw feminists

The Men’s Rights Subreddit finds a new woman to love! (Because she hates lesbian feminists.)

redditmensrightsfavoritelady
Mysterious lady, the Men’s Rights subreddit wants to buy you a drink.

The Men’s Rights subreddit has a new favorite lady! The one in the pictures above, if you haven’t guessed. Her name is Sonia Verstappen, and until recently she was a sex worker in Brussels; she’s also an activist for the legalization of sex work. The stills above are apparently from a documentary called Sex Workers and Proud.

The Men’s Rights Redditors who love her don’t actually know any of this. They just love her because she’s a women who apparently thinks hysterical, man-destroying American lesbians have taken over feminism.

This little set of screenshots has been posted to the Men’s Rights subreddit several times before, and I’m pretty sure it’s always gotten a positive response, but never quite as positive as it’s gotten this time: as I write this, it’s been sitting comfortably in the #1 spot on the subreddit’s main page for some time, and has garnered more than twelve hundred net upvotes. The headline? “Wise words.”

[EDITED TO ADD: I stand corrected: On one previous occasion three months ago, the same collection of screenshots recieved more than 1900 upvotes and generated more than 500 comments, making it the 18th most popular post of all time in the Men’s Rights subreddit. Men’s Rights Redditors can’t get enough of this lady they don’t know anything about!]

The main debate going on amongst the regulars is whether or not the man-hating feminists in question are really lesbians or not. No, really. The regulars have all sorts of interesting theories on the subject. And by “interesting,” I mean “ignorant and homophobic and generally just … well, read it.

mr1mr2mr3

I mean, even setting aside Idiopathic77’s rather limited understanding of the mechanics of lesbian sex (and sex in general, come to think of it), that’s just … weird.  I guess this sort of discussion is what happens when you learn about feminism entirely from the Men’s Rights subreddit and YouTube trolls. It’s a bit like learning about Jewish people entirely from The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and this clip from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

But where exactly is Whisper here running across all these “lesbian separatists” and heterosexual-women-turned-lesbian-for-political-reasons?

I mean, there was once upon a time in that wild and wacky era called “the seventies” a thing called “political lesbianism” that was based on the idea of lesbianism as a choice, but it got pushed to the fringes fairly quickly, because, you know, sexuality doesn’t really work that way.

Has Whisper developed some sort of time machine? Or do women just declare themselves lesbians when he starts talking to them because it’s a quicker way to get rid of him than giving him a fake phone number? That could also explain those 20% of Florida women who apparently gave  Idiopathic77 the impression that they were lesbians of the phony, man-hating sort.

LBT
LBT

RE: katz and Argenti

Well, the room is only until September, and then it’s back into the closet with us, but I’m hoping that in those three months, we can stockpile sanity points like a mofo and then embark on our road trip that I’ve been planning for fucking ages, but haven’t been sane enough to do. (It’s one of those things where I’m POSITIVE the trip will help my brain, but it requires a base amount of sanity that I haven’t been able to maintain–but I bet I can with proper housing!)

And Argenti, Sneak and Gigs already hope to get a pet one day. Whether it ends up a mammal or reptile remains to be seen. Alas, it will likely not be a fish; Sneak prefers pets zie can cuddle.

In other random cool news, me and Mac went hiking and discovered a magical grafitti path! Check out the kicking photos I grabbed! (Also, there was a baby bunny, but I didn’t manage to take a picture of it.)

Argenti Aertheri

Cuddly fish are sorta a thing…it’s my one consolation to losing plec. My previous one I raised from being teeny tiny and trained it to eat out of my hand. So cuddly not really, but letting you pet it? Yep. (Plec mouth bits feel like cow tongues)

And despite referring to you as BLT (XD) my mother is happy for you and your walls and window.

Very pretty! Undersides of bridges can be a treasure trove.

LBT
LBT

RE: Argenti

Yeah, I’m taking the stance that if the kids want a pet, they have to take care of it. (Since Sneak sometimes has a short attention span.) Gigi likes snakes and turtles; Sneak likes rats, cats, and dogs. Who knows what’ll end up happening.

cloudiah

Hooray for housing, and windows, and reading nooks, and AC (just in time for Summer)! I hope you’ll all be really happy there for as long as you’re there!

hellkell
hellkell

LBT: congrats on walls and windows!

KathleenB
KathleenB

LBT: I’m so happy that you’ve found a better situation (even if it is temporary). Fingers crossed for the next step in your journey.

Ms Getta Lode
Ms Getta Lode

“I’m pretty sure it’s always gotten a positive response, but never quite as positive as it’s gotten this time”

Actually, Boobz (you’ll love this), it HAS gotten a more positive response in the past. Check it : this screenshot compiliation was posted three months ago and now sits as the 18th most popular post OF ALL TIME in /r/mensrights. The post from a day ago has only managed to make it to the 71st most popular of all time (as of yet). The same image, with the same absolute non-relevance to the rights of men, appears twice in their top 100.

PS: Totally not a hate group.

Aaliyah

I’m happy to hear that things are getting better for you, LBT! ^_^

Kittehserf

LBT, that’s wonderful news! Congratulations! Cupcakes! Bonbons! Fizzy drinks! Streamers!

CassandraSays

It’s telling that he thinks not wanting to fuck members of a group renders you immune to abuse or exploitation by said group

It’s that weird focus on sex again. People who belong to groups that experience actual oppression realize that “sometimes I want to fuck people and they won’t let me, and sometimes the people I date are selfish jerks!” is not the same thing as systemic oppression. Since these guys aren’t actually oppressed in any systemic way, and they don’t have enough empathy to notice that other people are and feel bad about it, they end up with “women not wanting to fuck some men = male oppression and misandry” as a political position. And then everyone who’s involved in any sort of real social justice movement points and laughs.

Dvärghundspossen

Bisexual men are generally assumed to be actually gay.
Bisexual women are generally assumed to be actually straight.
Both are generally assumed to be into men.
Coincidence?

QTFW! Hadn’t thought of it like that before, but it’s so true.

When I first came out of the wardrobe seventeen years ago I DID get the “you’re probably a lesbian who doesn’t dare come quite out of the closet yet” a bit, but it was WAY more common to just regard me as some sort of extra sexy version of a straight girl. On the other hand, I have a male colleague who’s bi, and he gets the “but you’re probably actually gay” ALL THE TIME.

Now, I do know a couple of cases of women coming out as straight after first pretending to themselves as well as others that they were bi, mostly because there can be some weird pressure in sex-positive circles on women to identify as bi (or pan). Like, completely straight women are seen as merely repressing the bi side that’s OBVIOUSLY there somewhere. I think this is probably fairly rare though; the reason that so many more women today compared to when I came out seem to identify as bi is probably more due to there being less of a stigma, and therefore women who are mostly into men but a bit into women choose to call themselves bi when it’s more accepted, but would have called themselves straight if it were less so. And in any case, I don’t think this is where the “bi women are really straight!” comes from, since I got it a lot when I came out, and back at the day (at least in my circles) bi women were rare. The “bi women are really straight!” is probably just because “REAL sex requires a penis, and therefore, what a so-called bi woman does with another woman is just some kind of foreplay, the REAL sex she has with men!”.

Dvärghundspossen

And yay to LBT for the room! 🙂

10knives
10knives

I am going to quote/para-phrase/adapt what John Holbo said about David Frum (my changes in square brackets), in his blog post http://examinedlife.typepad.com/johnbelle/2003/11/mill_and_nietzs.html

“[The MRA’s] a seething mass of potent preferences and aversions, which are after all merely customary observances: some reasonable, most groundless and arbitrary or outdated. But it is intolerable to [them] to check and see which are which, because [they are] powerfully attached to the whole set – even the teeny, tiny aesthetic ones. ([SCENTED FUCKING CANDLES]!) Yet it is necessary for [MRAs] to produce reasons, because [they are] also powerfully determined others should share [their] preferences. And [they are] averse to authoritarianism. [They do] not wish to impose [their] mere private preferences tyrannically. As Dostoyevsky’s Underground Man puts it: all should be compelled to bow down before me voluntarily. This entails tortuous, self-deceptive mental gynmastics.”

Did I ever tell you the definition of manboobery?

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

I definitely saw them talking about this same woman like 2 months ago….I guess they have to keep refueling their circlejerk somehow.

Countering Feminist Horseshit
Countering Feminist Horseshit

Since these guys aren’t actually oppressed in any systemic way

Feminist Lie. Men (“guys”) are oppressed under the current social system.

Aaliyah

Feminist Lie. Men (“guys”) are oppressed under the current social system.

Are you saying that “guys” is a problematic term for men? Seriously? =S

CassandraSays

If he hasn’t been banned yet he should be, for excessive repetition.

Argenti Aertheri

I don’t recall him being banned, I think he just s cycles through socks as his nonsense gets old. In any case, seconding Cassandra, he’s tedious and pointless (excessively so this time)

CassandraSays

There’s also the fact that he seems to be made of Steele.

Kittehserf

Yeah, he’s at least on permamod, though I don’t recall the specifics. Time to chuck him in the garbage disposal.

Historophilia
Historophilia

A lot of bi people that I know tend to have they sexuality regarded as a “phase”. One woman I know who is Bi and has been in relationships with women but is now with a man says that her father basically “breathed a sigh of relief” when she told them about her boyfriend, as if it was like “Oh thank god she’s got over that stage”.

In a slightly different scenario, a close friend of mine who is male (but Gender-fluid) and Bi has been told (by a gay man) that he is actually straight because he avoids doing anything sexual or relationships with men because he’s has had bad experiences with them.

So yeah… Bi-phobia is definitely a thing.

CassandraSays

Oh hey there, creepy manipulative rape culture-influenced thinking. Nice to be reminded that you exist in gay culture too.

(I’ve heard the “if you don’t want to sleep with me you’re really straight, and if you want to prove that you’re actually bi you can do so by fucking me” line thrown at me by lesbians. It’s bullshit.)

historophilia
historophilia

CassandraSays, yeah he has that problem pretty regularly. Gay men getting pissy when he won’t do more than kiss them or dance with them, gay men who refuse to leave his room when he makes it clear that he doesn’t want anything sexual to happen. As a straight woman I’ve had this stuff happen to me from men but it seems to happen far more to him and they get nastier about it…

I suppose it’s some slight consolation that the gay man who told him that he was actually straight in this incident wasn’t trying to sleep with him and has no interest in doing so and was said in the context of a blazing row so it’s not as skeevy and manipulative, but still very much not ok.

A lot of gay men I’ve met are actually far more sexually manipulative and pressure-y than most straight men. I suppose it comes out of the whole “men always want sex” stereotype plus the hyper-sexualised nature of a lot of Gay (specifically gay, cis, men) culture.

But as a result, my friend not only tends to only date and do sexual stuff with women but he is mostly friends with women and straight men.

Karalora
Karalora

Did anyone else read this in Pinkie Pie’s voice?

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

@LBT

I highly recommend snakes as pets for the not-yet-endowed-with-a-fully-functioning-frontal-lobe. They eat rarely and it’s not the end of the world if one is a few days with the rodent. They have to be cleaned up after only as often as they eat. With their slow metabolisms, they’re pretty hardy and long-lived. And depending on the species and the individual, they can handle interaction daily or rarely.

Plus they’re fucking awesome.

Mark Minter

Jeez Manboob.

I guess I need to comment more because these posts are getting kind of droll.

But hey, sorry man but I been fucking busy.

I got a new girl friend. Seems she read all my posts and comments and she contacted me. Amazing that women would want bad boy misogynists because they are bad boy misogynists isn’t it?

Funny how all that Roissy shit seems to work. I was advising this 63 year old guy on dealing with his ex and he just came back and raved at how 100% of what I said and what I said to do was true and worked. Fucking amazing huh?

I explained the whole Alpha Widow thing, the whole solipsism thing, why asshole game works, some push-pull, about how women feel so entitled to special treatment due to biological and social conditioning they are unable to fully appreciate men’s sacrifices, how they are driven by indignation in the same way men are driven by power, and the big one, how to build rapport.

What you do is pretend your are listening to them and nod every now and then, and repeat back what they say in the form of some made-up bullshit story that echos their values. He used my advice and now she is actually considering getting back with him. Fucking amazing huh?

I mean these women just gotta be killing you. Here you are working your ass off to refute all this shit we say and then your girls are out there just making a fool and liar out of you by doing exactly what we say they do.

So I gotta apologize for leaving you here on your own like this to come up with original material other than bashing Paul Elam. And I see you find this particular weirdo story about this “former sex worker” worthy of blogging about and given all that is going on right now in the ‘sphere, I guess you need some guidance on shit you should really get fucking indignant about.

I would say the Patricia’s Smartphone piece from Roosh did a fuck of lot more damage than some ex-hooker saying she doesn’t like lesbian feminists (seems redundant doesn’t it? Small shrimp, big jumbos, lesbian feminists, whatever)

So lucky for you it’s raining this Memorial Day weekend and I’ll try to toss something together for you. Ok, ‘boob (Us being so close and all, I figured I should give you shorter nickname).

Oh, and ‘Boob, like I saw you indirectly referring to me as a misogynist. Man, how many times do I gotta tell you buddy? I am a fucking woman hater. Stop confusing me with those other guys. Jeez.

So I’ll try to get something in this weekend, K?

hellkell
hellkell

Cool story, bro.

Your ex was here and pretty much confirmed what a toad you are. Won’t be long before your new gf realizes what you think about women.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

Anyone else reminded of those women who marry serial killers on death row?

It is especially ironic that you post this directly after a conversation about how the bi among us are treated by lesbians.

CassandraSays

Minty may be the most boring person in the history of the internet.

Niktike
Niktike

I think you’re confused about why people object to PUA. It’s not because it doesn’t work. It’s because it’s wrong.

A lot of it works by exploiting the social conditioning that women have had drummed into them since birth, like don’t be too forceful, be polite even if he gives you the creeps, if he ignores your “no” just go with it so he won’t hurt you. It’s morally bankrupt to intentionally manipulate a person’s vulnerabilities until they give you sex. (I usually use “have sex with you”, but that’s not what’s happening for PUAs.)

PUAs are even worse than men who do this unthinkingly, because PUAs know exactly what they’re doing and why. It’s like the difference between having your foot stepped on and stomped on.

Also, you’re a misogynist.

Abnoy
Abnoy

As a female feminist once observed, So long as God is (thought of as) a Straight Male, Straight Males are (thought of as) Gods.

hellkell
hellkell

Not only is he a misogynist, he’s a fucking deadbeat. Fuck off Minter. You’re a dull asshole.

CassandraSays

I just can’t make myself focus enough to read more than a couple of sentences of his crap, it all blends into a congealed mass of “blah blah I’m awesome and women are terrible blah blah my penis, blah”.

hellkell
hellkell

He’s another graduate of the Poorly Translated Appliance Manual School of Writing. Most MRAs seem to be.

CassandraSays

To be fair, there’s also the If This Prose Was Any More Purple Prince Would Sue You For Stealing His Costumes school of MRA prose.

CassandraSays

Ugh, the shitty writing and constant repetition is infectious. Someone pass me the antidote.

hellkell
hellkell

What is the antidote? Gin? Kitten pics? More cowbell?

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

Some shrimps reach almost 25 cm or larger in size.

But you’re probably too indignant to care.

CassandraSays

The antidote is well-written prose, which pretty much rules out anything related to the MRM.

emilygoddess

@LBT hooray for an actual room! *throws confetti*

@Horseshit what is up with that parenthetical? I honestly don’t even get what you’re going for there.

@David at this rate you’re gonna end up needing a troll spreadsheet, complete with aliases and moderation status. Fortunately, a significant number of them will be Mr Al, and most of the rest will be other repeat offenders, so updating won’t be too hard.

gelar
gelar

I guess I need to comment more because these posts are getting kind of droll.

Amusing, in an odd or whimsical way? Well, thanks for putting a stop to that.

emilygoddess

Oh, Minty. I see your rationalization hamster is doing double duty this week.

these posts are getting kind of droll.

I’m not sure you know what “droll” means.

A woman =/= all women. I don’t understand why this is so hard for you guys to understand. No one here has denied the existence of FemRAs and other female misogynists/woman-haters.

…blah blah manosphere neologisms, blah blah…

Amazing that a woman who thinks she’s being listened to and engaged with is interested in the guy? If this is meant to be an example of a woman going for an asshole, it’s a poor one, since the way you told it, she doesn’t know he’s an asshole. Indeed, this would seem to be a woman going for a nice guy…

But he’s so easy to bash!

For the 182648305th time: this blog is not a report on the manosphere. This blog is for mocking misogyny. You want the Manosphere Daily News, start your own damn blog.

So much more damage that no one even knows or cares what article you’re talking about.

How clever.

the shoe fits, it quacks like a duck, and we don’t care how it makes you feel: you are a misogynist. Cry moar.

cloudiah

I just feel a pressing need to share this every time Minter visits:

No need to ban Horseshit. Just put “feminist lie” in the moderation filter.

becausescience
becausescience

Sorry, Mark Minter, but we already have a resident overcompensating manosphere jackass (several, in fact). We’ll be sure to hold onto your application, and give you a call if there’s any new openings. Thanks for your made-up story, though.

Dvärghundspossen

@Historiphilia: That “so it was just a phase thing” happened to a friend of mine the other way around. She’s bi, met a woman, things got very serious, they moved in together, and lived together for years as a monogamous couple. Eventually though they broke up, and after this, my friend started dating a man. Another friend of both of us told me “but… Wasn’t she a LESBIAN?” As if a bi woman becomes a lesbian by living with another woman.

Historophilia
Historophilia

@Dvärghundspossen, that’s a familiar story to my Bi friends as well. A man in this case, he’s Bi and was in a fairly lengthy relationship with a man in the past but most recently has mainly dated women, his parents asked him if he wasn’t gay any more.

Oh and in things that might interest you guys, several of my Bi friends are thinking of starting a campaign to ask the UK media to stop using the term “Gay marriage” and use either “Equal” or “Same sex” marriage instead. I’m going to be very likely helping them out in an ally capacity.