a woman is always to blame all about the menz awesome feminism funny imaginary oppression incoherent rage men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misandry misogyny MRA nice guys video

Funny Men’s Rights Video Time!

Don’t worry, it’s not a video BY an MRA. It’s a video ABOUT MRAs. A little cartoon, to be specific, by Scott Benson, who has this to say about it on his Vimeo page:

A quick editorial cartoon about the intersection of self-pity, entitlement, rape, territoriality, misogyny and fear of women. You see it all over the place online in the form of Men’s Rights Activists (of whom there are a few reasonable non-misogynists), Men Going Their Own Way, Pick Up Artists, and dudes touting the “Red Pill”, because The Matrix is a good movie. Look any of these up if you have the stomach for it. These are extreme examples, but watered-down forms of these ideas are everywhere.

In lurking their blogs and youtube channels for a while, I’ve noticed that beyond the standard patriarchal chauvinism there is this deep fear of women – what they will do to me, how they will reject me, how they will use me, how they are changing society in a way that does not favor me, how they are making men into something I don’t like, how they are making themselves into something I don’t like, that they won’t give me what I want, and that they won’t give me what I think is rightfully mine. This goes beyond fear of feminism- this is fear of women at its purest. And that, to quote a puppet, leads to anger and hate. It’s sad.

Naturally, Benson had to close the comments to the video because of, you know, too much MRA.

He wrote more about it all on his Tumblr.

I was alerted to the video by various people, including Cloudiah, which reminds me to remind you all to go look at Cloudiah’s excellent Artistry for Feminism And Kittens blog.

saintnick86

GAH! Wish there was a edit function…

*Drove IT barely a block.

howardbann1ster

For those wondering about Abnoy:
In this comment he says he’s from the Phillipines.

In this comment he says nothing he did was illegal, due to the difference in the age of consent.

Which is twelve.

There’s some contention about this–doubt that he’s actually from the Phillipines, the way he seizes on stuff like this to troll.

But honestly, at the end of the day, I’ll take any troll who’ll say stuff that horrible at his word, yanno?

freemage
freemage

Howard: I just figure the worst of all worlds–they’re lying, but they ~want~ it to be true. Some individuals deserve no credit, period.

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

>>>Getting friendzoned is getting stuck between states of being for a guy who expects to level up from boy friend to boyfriend.

Another victim of The Narrative. Your problem is with your insistence with trying to make organic relationships fit into whatever cultural box (probably from some romcom, or in the case of guys like you, raunchcom) you want them to fit in.

Preston Pans

I know this thread has probably died by now (I’m in Europe and I went to bed pretty much straight after commenting last night), but I just wanted to say thanks for the information, and especially Fibinachi for the wonderful rhyme!
And please, call me Preston 🙂

Abnoy
Abnoy

“There’s some contention about this–doubt that he’s actually from the Phillipines,”

I honestly don’t know whether to take this is a compliment or an insult. Are you that shocked that somebody from the so-called “3rd World” has such a mastery of the English language, not to mention can match wits with you so-called “1st World’ers”?

“Some individuals deserve no credit, period.”

Bah, We Filipinos are not at all as stupid as you may think us colored people to be and enough of us may in fact be even smarter than you. (And yes, I am playing the race card here, my ethnic pride is now getting offended by your racial supremacist vanity & arrogance)

archaeoholmes

@Abnoy This is yummy ice cream.

Fibinachi

Hey, last Fillipino I knew was a honour student, self published poet, elite debator and lead singer in a band. Pretty competent guy, all around. Remarkably charming and witty to. Utter psycopath, but in a way where you could almost forgive him for it.

So no. In fact, I’d say your geographic location is unrelated. 😀

Argenti Aertheri

Oh ABNOY!

First, we doubt every word that falls from your putrid mouth. Because you’re a horrible person known to lie for shits and giggles.

Second, no, your race/nationality has no bearing here, your words stand alone and prove you an untrustworthy, manipulative, asshole.

Howard — you forgot how he got all huffy that this would only offend us because of “Western pedo panic”

Which is why I don’t care if it’s all smoke and mirrors. He finds it funny that we’d be upset at the idea of paying a 12 year old for sex. No one with that sense of humor should be taken seriously. At best he’s a classic lulz troll. At worst he’s a pedophile.

CassandraSays

“Both” is also an option here.

Argenti Aertheri

Congrats then ABNOY, there is exactly one thing you can say that we don’t have reason to doubt!

lensman (@l3nsman)

I can believe I am saying this but…

I… like… this!?

Fibinachi

Ah, don’t worry about it. “Liking” thing is pretty normal. In time, you’ll even begin to “enjoy” things.

That sensation of lightness in your chest and tickling in the back of your throat is called “Amusement”

CassandraSays

MRAbot discovers positive emotions. Is immediately captured and sent for reprogamming by fellow MRAbots.

Argenti Aertheri

FTR, assuming this is the same lensman, I think we have a really clueless newb, not a full fledged MRA. That is, I think this one is actual capable of learning. But Mr. Al’s managed to make me think that at least once, so apply salt to my opinion.

archaeoholmes

I hope it’s genuine. It feels good to see someone turn nice

CassandraSays

If he’s capable of learning, awesome. That doesn’t mean that I/we have to teach him, or be tolerant of his tiresome cluelessness.

lensman (@l3nsman)

I am checking Shakesville’s Feminism 101 and Rape Culture 101 right now. I agree with almost all of it, but I am having a bit of trouble getting myself to accept the “Off-Limits Humor” paragraph.

I perfectly understand what the author is trying to say, but it still kind of feels like a weird gender version of airport security (a friend of mine has recently learned the hard way that jokes can actually be considered threats and will be taken seriously no matter how light-hearted and good intentioned they may be)

archaeoholmes

@lensman A good rule for jokes is they should be made upwards in privilege, not down.

Kittehserf

Put it this way, lensman: the joke may seem funny to the person telling it, but what about the person/people hearing it? If it’s something that punches down – ie. is laughing at a weaker or powerless person/group – then they already feel the results of that sort of thing in real life, all the time. What gets called “edgy” humour usually seems to be making a joke of horrible things – rape, racism, you name it – which hurts people already hurt by it.

And really – is it so important to say or write every joke, every bit of humour that comes into one’s head, especially if it’s questionable? Not really. I’ve stuffed up doing that very thing, right here, and I’m certainly not the only one.

The other thing is that saying a joke’s light-hearted or well-intentioned doesn’t help. The person reading it can’t read your mind to know your intention, and something that the joker thinks is light or trivial might be something really horrible and triggering for someone else, or simply cut too close on something important. It’s the person receiving the joke, comment etc who makes that decision. It’s not hard to listen and learn, and if one stuffs up? Apologise and don’t do it again. Better than opening the mouth and changing feet.

Kittehserf

Ninjaed by archaeoholmes in one line! 😀

Snap!

Viscaria
Viscaria

Okay… light-hearted, well-intentioned humour can hurt people. Is it any great loss to you to be asked, in advance, to avoid saying certain things in order to participate in those communities? Do you consider your urge to tell jokes as more important than the feelings of anyone who could potentially be affected by them? If so, that’s a pretty selfish attitude.

If it helps, there’s not much that’s off-limits here at Man Boobz. Freeze peach lives!!1! But some of us may well react very negatively to what you have to say.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I have also been ninja’ed! *Clutches chest*

CassandraSays

I’m both touched by everyone else’s optimism and generosity of spirit and about 95% sure that it’s going to turn out to be undeserved in this case.

Kittehserf

Is it optimism or is it baiting a trap? 😉

Plus there’s all the ninja exercises we’re getting in.

CassandraSays

I’ll be over here with the big sword waiting to deliver the final blow.

I live in hope

Viscaria
Viscaria

I should clarify — I have pretty much no hope for lensman. I think he’s already shown himself to be extremely self-centred. I just thought I would point out why.

archaeoholmes

On the subject of the post, I just before heard my kids chanting, “I am afraid, I am afraid, I am afraid of women” in robotic voices in their room. And laughing.

Argenti Aertheri

Oh I fully realize I could well be wrong here, but I’m usually (too) inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. Also, self-centered =/= will turn out to be an asshole, by all the gods you’d have hated me, and rightly so, when I was like 19 (to all our younger regulars, y’all rock)…so yes, lensman may turn out to be an asshole (or even our “favorite” repeat troll), but hey, I’ve got time and nothing better to do.

Ok, not quite true, I have an EA shirt I intend to turn into a muscle shirt // tank top // whatever you want to call them that isn’t “wife beater”. But I’m not really in the mood to sew, also, haven’t decided how to finish the edges. Ideas?

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m not sure there’s such a thing as too inclined to give somebody the benefit of the doubt. 🙂 If they end up disappointing you, that’s on them. It’s not your fault because you gave them a chance. I’m just getting crotchety in my old* age!

*according to MRAs

howardbann1ster

“Some individuals deserve no credit, period.”

Oh, Abnoy.

The doubt is because you’re a lying liar who lies, and so we regard any claims about your origin with great skepticism.

David’s confirmation allows us to say, yep, you really are as horrible a human being as you claimed to be previously with your noxious homophobia.

not to mention can match wits with you so-called “1st World’ers”?

…..you think you’re matching wits with us?

Pffffffffffffffff

greendaywantsavatars

Abnoy, no one’s saying filipinos aren’t smart, we’re saying you’re a misogynistic jerk.

hellkell
hellkell

Abnoy: Filipinos are great, my husband and in-laws are awesome people. YOU are an asshole.

Cassandra:

Amen. I’m already tired of him. I’ll get my sword and we can wait for the inevitable.

Abnoy
Abnoy

Tch, every person is a product of time and place and I make no apologies for how the milieu in which I was born and raised. In fact, where and when I’m from, I’m considered positively progressive (you can even ask that other aforementioned countryman of mine, he sounds like he grew up in a similar background). Furthermore, if you Westerners, especially those from the US, can find everyone else who doesn’t share your culture to be hilarious, why too, so can we (to digress, your PC oversensitivity is why males will always be the superior comedians, though to be fair, it’s also why males will always get into the violent trouble that females will not, but boys will be boys, so cest la vie). In addition, I’m not anti-queer, I’m just pro-straight. Did I ever say on this board that God(s) hate(s) fags or that homos will go to hell or that AIDS is divine punishment, like too many people in your own homeland? I’m generally a live-and-let-live type of guy, as long as you mind your own business when then there’s no reason to intervene, then I’ll keep the peace by holding my peace (which is far more than I can say for the postmodern killjoy feminazis of the white Western world who are virtually unchanged from the witchhunting puritans and the prohibitionist temperance movement among others). Finally, even borderline wittiness is enough to deal with a pack of half-wits.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Ye gods that’s a wall of text. Paragraph breaks help, dude – and while I’m sometimes guilty of this myself, run-on parenthetical sentences really don’t help the readability of your posts.

Anyway.

“Drop a stupidity,” love it. Describes them perfectly. 🙂

I feel like that should be some sort of yoof culture thing to do with music I don’t listen to or something.

This demonstrates that I am /very/ out of touch with my generation or summat. 😉

lensman
lensman

@viscara

You actually have a point. So from now a conscious effort shall be made to not use the highly egocentric words “I”, “Me” and “My”.

You are definitely right in being suspicious. The current subject is an unknown variable and should be treated with as much hostility and aggressiveness as possible until its intentions are made clear.

Back to the topic at hand…

It’s perfectly understandable to ban offensive language and jokes in special places where victims of offensive behaviour and sexual trauma congregate. You shouldn’t be making sexist and sexual jokes in feminist places for pretty much the same reason that you shouldn’t be making DUI jokes at a MADD meeting: it’s highly likely that those jokes will trigger painful memories and cause excruciating emotional pain to some very good people (in fact you shouldn’t be making any kind of joke there, period) . That’s basic human decency and common sense.

The problem arises when you actually want to codify this in law and public policy for all types of social interaction.

Let’s just say for the sake of argument that you and some friends go to a bar for and few drinks. You’ve had a few beers, you are getting buzzed and you decide to share a really funny joke about a drunk driver that you’ve read on the Internet in order to have a good laugh.

Right next to you, a person “X” is standing in line to order a drink. “X” recently lost a son in a “Drunk driving” incident about a month ago and is, understandably quite sensitive about it. Being behind you in line “X” can’t help but overhear the joke which triggers the crippling pain of loss inside and a breakdown occurs.

The management is called to deal with the situation. While you’re trying to calm “X” down, you’re informed that the bar follows a “Zero Tolerance to Offence” policy and you’re summarily thrown out, along with your friends.

OK, the example above is indeed a bit extreme and unlikely but you can already see the main problem with such laws and policies: what is offensive is subjective, something doesn’t offend you might be highly offensive (painful even) to somebody else and the only way to surely find out what is offensive when the other person is a stranger is to unwittingly cross the line and be subject to penalties.

To make matters more complicated, something that doesn’t offend someone now isn’t guaranteed to be inoffensive tomorrow or even a few hours later.

To point, the “Dick Joke Tweet” that Adria Richards sent on that fateful day, was published very early in the day, before she actually entered PyCon. Once she entered PyCon she encountered a company executive who make a highly sexual skirt joke. She complained to him and he brushed her off. After she probably encountered more “micro-agressions” at PyCon she bumped into the two men making dongle jokes (which were far more innocuous than the skirt joke) became offended and decided to act in a way she thought most appropriate.

All this is not said to lay the blame on Richards (or to completely absolve her for that matter) but to make people understand how something that doesn’t offend you at one moment (in Adria’s case dick jokes) can offend you the next under certain circumstances. Donglegate was a clear case of “straw breaking the camel’s back” and should be treated with compassion rather than malice, but it also highlights the other problem that “Zero Offence” policies have, namely that what someone finds offensive at a certain point in time is also highly variable and unpredictable.

Most importantly , you can never be sure if the other person who invokes offence to get you thrown out or censored is genuinely offended by what you say or has an ulterior motive. For instance, in the UK, the police has successfully invoked “Section Five” , which is essentially “The Ada Initiative’s Code of Conduct” codified into law, to shut down protests and arrest peaceful protesters. In Greece, the current regime is pushing for a similar legislation which will allow them to shut down blogs and news web pages which expose the corruption that happens behind the scenes – such laws already exist there for the press, which is why Independent Journalism is considered an oxymoron.

So, the very kyriarchy is pushing for these types of legislations, which should worry the feminist movement very much. And to make matters even worse for those who are not part of the kyriarchy, when you apply extreme political correctness in the proper context anything can be perceived as offensive (for example, someone can accuse the author of this comment for sexism because he used the word “period” in the third paragraph, at which point he decides to quietly go to his room and engage in self-flaggelation).

“Zero Tolerance to Offensive Behaviour/Humour ” might sound great on paper and might even be a good idea in places where you know it will cause problems for but when it’s codified in law and policy is highly problematic and leads to a version of human society that is quite frankly, knightmarishly sterile and offensive to human reason and decency.

Being an Auditor of Reality is seriously awesome!

Removing yourself from what you write and consciously forcing yourself to not use self-identifying pronouns actually makes you convey your message more efficiently and allows you to place a much greater focus on the actual arguments you’re trying to make.

So, seriously viscara, thank you!

titianblue
titianblue

Lensman – fighting for the right to make sexist jokes anywhere and at any time.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Biting sarcasm is biting! Only now do I see the error of my ways!

Dude, I told you why I thought you were being selfish. It’s not because of 1st person pronouns.

hellkell
hellkell

A lot of text just to say “I’ll make whatever jokes I want, suck it up.” Dude, if you want to be an asshole, fine, but try not to be so proud of it.

CassandraSays

And now you see why my nym is Cassandra. Thanks for proving me right, lensy!

lensman
lensman

@titianblue

Uhm… Did you actually read the first few paragraphs? You know the ones in which I specifically agree with codes of Conduct under social settings in which basic human logic and decency instructs you to not behave inappropriately?

And since you obviously can’t understand what’s at stake here, let me spell it out for you:

The Slutwalks? Offensive! Arrest those scantily clad women!

Jezebel? Offensive! Fine them and bring me the head of Lindy West!

These kinds of legislations don’t just ban sexist jokes, they ban all sorts of speech that can be perceived as offensive in any way.

Anyway, as you are so fond of saying, it’s not my job to (further) educate you.

Go to http://reformsection5.org.uk if you’re interested.

greendaywantsavatars

The only difference is you can try to be better than the people who raised you/whoever gave you these awful ideas or not. people have free will, man.

but boys will be boys, so cest la vie).

Boys will be boys = bad parenting results in assholes.

Or

boys will be boys = I’d rather use tired gender stereotypes to justify my kid’s behavior than correct it

or

boys will be boys = if our sons don’t uphold the patriarchy, who will?

plz do not compare something for which there is no systematic power imbalances (drunk driving) to something for which their is (sexism, racism, w/e)

The Slutwalks? Offensive! Arrest those scantily clad women!

Gosh, compare this to clothing, and b) no one is saying arrest guys who mow the lawn with their shirt off, and c) SEXISM

gad.

like, this would be an example if a guy had a domestic violence joke on his shirt, it’d be similar to telling a bad sexist joke.

SYSTEMATIC. FORCES. OF. OPPRESSION

not some girl dressed scantily.

CassandraSays

Those terrible bloggers, forcing society to enact their commenting rules across every single aspect of…wait.

Next search term – why do women always make fun of me?

hellkell
hellkell

I had NO IDEA such American stuff was popular in Greece.

greendaywantsavatars

@hellkell

which american stuff? I was kind of skimming XD

hellkell
hellkell

Slut Walks and Jezebel. I guess you’d know about them if you were ass-deep in the manosphere due to your shitty Goolge searching abilities. Otherwise, no.

Kittehserf

Don’t you love the way “slutwalk” is always taken by misogynist morons to mean women dressed in their fantasy notions of sex-worker gear, rather than pointing out that clothing has nothing to do with whether one’s raped or not?