all about the menz alpha asshole cock carousel antifeminism debate disgusting women misogyny MRA the eternal solipsism of the MRA mind the spearhead whores

Easter on The Spearhead: “I hope that our own errant women can follow Mary Magdalene’s example.”

48ae1f0bf62fdb0f393901f077e6c8a6

Happy Easter, or what remains of it, for those who celebrate it! (And happy Deep Discounts on Peeps Day to all who celebrate that tomorrow.)

There’s an interesting, er, theological discussion about the meaning of Easter over on The Spearhead. In a short post, WF Price argues that the uppity ladies of today could learn a thing or two from Mary Magdalene:

One of my favorite subtexts of the Easter story is the devotion of Mary Magdalene, who kept a vigil at her Lord’s tomb, and thereby became the first witness to the Resurrection.

I don’t see it as a specifically Christian message, but rather a universal one: the woman, regardless of her background or past, can attain holiness through selfless love and devotion. I hope some day that our own errant women can follow Mary Magdalene’s example.

A nonbeliever with the clever handle fakeemail isn’t convinced:

Once a whore always a whore.

I have no interest for a whore who “saw the light” aka a 30 year old cock-carouseler who is out of options. I want the young woman who was smart enough to never be a whore in the first place.

Evidently MRAs never take a holiday from being dicks.

Bagelsan

We get time off ’cause we’re women, and anytime we want something we just cry in the street until a man hands it to us. Duh.

TomBcat

I’m fine and also have today off. So far I spent it making different cat avatars and losing any sense of time. How are you?

@howard bannister

Aw, man. Boo on snow. (imo XD) Luckily for me, the snow has mostly gone, but it’s been going between spring and winter feelings really fast here. XD

I get time off because I have a job babysitting this kid until June, but he’s going to florida w/ his sister over spring break. So, I’m freeeeee!!!

@bagelsan

I’m good too 😀 I’m taking some time to draw/ finish up my pictures. I’ve got some from a couple months ago I drew before my depression flared up, and I need to get caught up. Whatcha doing? 😀

Bagelsan

I’m currently working on knitting a cute gray shrug to wear with sleeveless dresses when it’s chilly out but I want to dress girly. I’ve only knit a few non-scarf items before; it’s difficult! :p

Marie

It should have occurred to me earlier XD I need to buy my guinea pigs a new cage, do you guys think I should cry in the street?

@bagelsan

Aww. That sounds nice 😀 (how it will look, I know absolutely nothing about knitting besides what you folks say here XD)

Fade

I was going to have spring break this week*, but I was sick all last week so my spring break is just time for me to get caught up.

*high school student here

It sounds like it will look nice!

Bagelsan

Ooh, Marie, what kind of pictures? Are you an art student?

Er, an art/high school student I guess. :p

Bagelsan

New guinea pig cage? You should definitely go sit in the street and “wheek” loudly. You’ll get soo much lettuc– I mean, money.

@bagelsan

I mostly just draw for fun. I’d like to take an art class when I get my schedule all fixed up/ money, but I’m not in any school right now. Dropped out of highschool and just want to take the GED.

On what kind of pictures…hehe, I mostly draw fan art *blushes* But it’s fun, and steam-blowy-offy.

Marie

XD I think it’d be more effective just to show people the guinea pigs! And, since they are female guinea pigs, do they also know the art of crying in the street?

TomBcat

Probably. If penguins can do it, so can guinea pigs.

Bagelsan

Oh, we know that females of all species behave exactly the same! Of course your piggies know how to cry in the street!

Excellent! Then they can get their own cage! XD

Bagelsan

Good luck on the GED! I never took it, but I’m sure you’ll have no trouble.

@bagelsan

Thanks! I hope it will be easy. My mom knows someone who took it, and it sounded easy, but she said they had to take a prep class, and apparently the teacher was really condescending.

Bagelsan

Yes! “Piggies, go cry in the street. I’ll… supervise. *gets out lemonade and lawn chair*”

Howard Bannister

The GED is not too tough. Like most tests, test-taking skills are more important than actual knowledge. Knowing that it’s more important to answer as many questions rather than spend too much time on tricky questions. Knowing that crossing off unlikely answers helps zero in on the right one.

But I like tests. 😛

TomBcat

But wouldn’t that make you some kind of guinea pimp?

Bagelsan

Ew, condescending teachers are the worst. I tutor, and I try to never condescend. It’s never called for.

hehe. *cackles evilly*

@howardbannister

That is slight bad news, as I think I have more actual knowledge than test taking skills 😉 But thanks for the advice 🙂

Bagelsan

Guinea pimp! Marie has a carrot cane and keeps her pimp hand strong for scritchies.

@tomBcat

But wouldn’t that make you some kind of guinea pimp?

*dies laughing*

TomBcat

I imagine it is not easy to never be condescending when you tutor/teach.

Howard Bannister

I do trainings. Yes, we have to cover the remedial stuff. Yes, every time. Yes, it gets old.

Glaring down at the students and acting like it’s their fault? Yeah, everybody had that teacher at least once.

A good teacher can make a lot of difference. My best teachers sucked me in so completely that I ended up picking up extra minors in college, just because.

@howard bannister

Yay for good teachers. 🙂 I’ve had some really good ones before, one who got me a lot more interested in history, and one who was just fun. Anyway, love good teachers. Sadly the year after I got the good teacher for history I got a really bad one 🙁 I ended up dumping the class because the whole thing was just memorizing dates.

Bagelsan

Hmm, this looks helpful: http://www.test-guide.com/free-ged-practice-tests.html

(Sorry, tutoring instincts activating!)

Howard Bannister

Ugh!!! Memorizing dates… Agh.

A writing professor who actually loves to read is a revelation.

A math professor who’ll explain why the numbers are doing that.

A history professor trying to capture the excitement of WHAT HAPPENED.

But memorize dates? Formulas? Grammar rules? These are the mindkiller! I will conquer my formulas! I will let them pass through me!

(iz nerd)

TomBcat

@ Marie
That’s sad. I hate it that one teacher can ruin something that might otherwise be interesting.

Bagelsan

I just try to stay really earnest and enthusiastic when I tutor; I often end up learning things, too (especially in the harder subjects!) so that keeps me modest. :p

Howard Bannister

Semi-relevant! For anybody who loves history, especially through a powerful retelling, check this out.

Ex Urbe tells the story of Machiavelli. There’s four and a half parts, and each one is rich, compelling, and instructive.

I always cry at the end of Part I. It’s just great.

This is the kind of stuff to make a person love history.

@bagelsan

Thanks! Bookmarked for future reference 😀

@howard bannister

Yeah, I’m pretty sure there was one thread quasi-recently here where we ended up talking about the formulas to write essays.

@tomBcat

Yeah, it was so boring I assumed I just didn’t like US history (what she taught, the first class was world) until I got a better teacher XD

Howard Bannister

Teaching is always the best way to learn. 😀

Fade

@ I am totally not a tutor, but I am just echoing what Bagelsan said about learning things. Me and this kid I was baby sitting were looking at a map, trying to figure out what languages were spoken in different countries, and he had a lot more fun when we had to look them up together than when I could just answer the question. So we both learned!

XD

TomBcat

A history professor trying to capture the excitement of WHAT HAPPENED.

I had one teacher who announced to us that the Punic Wars would be the most exciting thing in history all year.
For the next hours, no one did so much as cough, even though we had to write down so many dates. Everyone sat there like that one teacher talking was the most exciting movie ever (It was a little The Man From Earth style)

Howard Bannister

The essay formula was a good starting point for me to begin organizing my thoughts. It got me thinking about introducing my ideas, flowing from one arguement to the next, and generally staying on-point and making a cogent arguement.

But I learned it from somebody who loved reading and writing and cogent arguements, so the END was the point, not the MEANS. And that made all the difference!

@tomBcat

That’s what I liked about my first history teacher! (first one mentioned, not ever :P) She actually sounded excited about it. *glad to finally put my finger on it have someone else put my finger on it XD*

@howard bannister

Yeah, I think if I didn’t have the formula when I first started my brain would’ve blown up, but once you can toy with it or toss it out it’s annoying when you still have to use it. Idk if I’m making sense 😉

TomBcat

@ Howard
Thanks for the tip on Urbe! Love history that’s told well!
@Baglesan
I think that’s a good way to think about tutoring. Many teachers seem to get in this mindset, they just assume they know everything better because they teach you some things.
But openness and the will to learn are good traits in general, I guess.

I’m going to get groceries, have a nice conversation in your beautiful digital home *hopes she’ll be welcomed again* and a nice day off to all the people here who have one (obviously because menstruation, feminazi something something dark side)

AK
AK

Marie, I wouldn’t worry about the GED too much either. Practice tests are a good thing to get an idea of where you are, but when I got mine I was actually surprised at how easy it was, especially because I dropped out of high school really early. I’d built it up as much more difficult in my head than it actually was. I’m also someone who knows a lot (voracious reader here) but is bad at tests (or was anyway…I have a pretty bad case of ADHD that wasn’t diagnosed/treated until I was in college and suddenly I became much better at taking tests), and I wound up scoring higher on the GED than 80% of actual high school grads that had taken it the year before as some kind of research thing (I don’t remember exactly why they’d taken it as it’s been over a decade, I think something about seeing if they needed to change it). LOL Also sorry for the parenthesis abuse in that last sentence…I’m sick and the cold medicine I’m taking is ruining my brain.

@tomBcat

Of course you’ll be welcomed again 😀

@AK

Well, that’s good news. 🙂

TomBcat

One last thing: I’m such a wordpress newbie. Can someone link me to wherever they explain how I can put words in cursive, cross out words and stuff? ( never tried that anywhere before, I assumed it’s done by magic, says the IT-person*shame*)
So far Google left me confused. But it is so useful to written conversations…

Marie

I don’t know about cursive, but to cross them out [del] ftfy[/del] only with < these

ftfy

italics you can just put i in those brackets, and /i to end.

blockquotes, (don’t know if you know) [blockquote] and [/blockquote] but everything is with < these, not [ these.

I hope that made sense.

Bagelsan

For the “del” one, “strike” also seems to work for a strikethrough.

TomBcat

Thank you!
So far I get a lot of tutorials for bloggers, I don’t even know if the commands are customizable to the blog or if this is standard in wordpress, so if anyone has a link to a complete list (embedding videos, link to words, cursive, blah blah) I’d be grateful! So far I’ve never commented on sites that have these features, so, well…

Tom, WordPress just uses HTML. The only exception I know of is YouTube embeds, which are the plain HTTP URL. Here’s the WordPress list of allowed tags, although I don’t know how many will work in the comments (I know IMG doesn’t).

Argenti Aertheri

That’s the list for tags allowed in posts. I’d be willing to bet money that h1-h6 don’t work in comments (they’re for headers)

Comment wise I’m sure that these work:
<i>italics</i> or <em>emphasis</em> (the later plays nice with screen readers, afaik the former does not)
<b>bold</b> or <strong>strong</strong> (ditto)
<del>delete</del>

Links go like this: <a href=”http://manboobz.com/2013/03/31/easter-on-the-spearhead-i-hope-that-our-own-errant-women-can-follow-mary-magdalenes-example/comment-page-6/#comment-280044″>this is where you asked about code</a> — or just paste the link, it isn’t pretty, but it’s functional.

Embedding is picky, use the http:// code, not https:// and put it on it’s own line. I skip a line to be sure, and it doesn’t seem to post multiple videos without a blank line between them. Eg:

Video 1

Video 2

Blockquotes, despite the monster, are fairly simple:
<blockquote>

blockquote!

</blockquote>

Fade

I have to try this link thingie and see if it works.

Google translate