all about the menz alpha asshole cock carousel antifeminism debate disgusting women misogyny MRA the eternal solipsism of the MRA mind the spearhead whores

Easter on The Spearhead: “I hope that our own errant women can follow Mary Magdalene’s example.”

48ae1f0bf62fdb0f393901f077e6c8a6

Happy Easter, or what remains of it, for those who celebrate it! (And happy Deep Discounts on Peeps Day to all who celebrate that tomorrow.)

There’s an interesting, er, theological discussion about the meaning of Easter over on The Spearhead. In a short post, WF Price argues that the uppity ladies of today could learn a thing or two from Mary Magdalene:

One of my favorite subtexts of the Easter story is the devotion of Mary Magdalene, who kept a vigil at her Lord’s tomb, and thereby became the first witness to the Resurrection.

I don’t see it as a specifically Christian message, but rather a universal one: the woman, regardless of her background or past, can attain holiness through selfless love and devotion. I hope some day that our own errant women can follow Mary Magdalene’s example.

A nonbeliever with the clever handle fakeemail isn’t convinced:

Once a whore always a whore.

I have no interest for a whore who “saw the light” aka a 30 year old cock-carouseler who is out of options. I want the young woman who was smart enough to never be a whore in the first place.

Evidently MRAs never take a holiday from being dicks.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I KNEW someone would do the bog-standard conflating Mary Magdalene with the woman taken in adultery and then pretend that she was a prostitute. Any excuse to use the word whore.

WTF Price misses the point (well, many points) as usual. Devotion to someone is perfectly possible … but they have to be worth being devoted to, and it needs to go both ways. He and his crew fail colossally at being worthy of devotion. (I don’t mean people have to be flawless to inspire devotion, btw, but these guys are so far from flawless they’re hardly even on the same scale.)

Whee, first comment!

Kristine
Kristine

De-lurking here. Why do I get the feeling that when WF Price says “selfless love and devotion,” he means servitude and a complete disregard for one’s own safety and well being? And what’s with the religious imagery? Have the mra’s given up on their sooper-lojikal atheist jeenyus?

Also, clearly fakeemail feels inadequate compared to other men. Probably with good reason, if you catch my drift.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Yeah, stupid and illiterate misunderstanding of Mary Magdalene. Lazy. The Gnostic Gospels are free for anyone to read, dumb-asses. The scholar Elaine Pagels? Ever heard of her?

These guys think the worst thing in the world for a woman is having lots of sex. It’s so short-sighted, it’s so indicative of a fragile ego. It’s sooooo boring, so tiresome.

Welcome, Kristine! 🙂

Seconding everything you said.

I <3 "ooper-lojikal atheist jeenyus".

🙂

Kristine
Kristine

Thanks, Kitteh! It’s good to finally join the fray!

clairedammit
clairedammit

our own…women

Once again, assholes, I am not your woman. I am my woman and no one else’s.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Oh, this shit:

“I hope some day that our own errant women can follow Mary Magdalene’s example.”

Errant? Fuck off. Also, we are not YOURS, you asswipe, therefore you do not get to write, “…our own errant women.” You entitled asshole.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Uh-huh, clairedammit. Great minds think alike. 😉

clairedammit
clairedammit

Yep 😀

::fistbumps Kristine::

I heard we need a welcome package in this thread? Lessee, I got your scented candles, your cupcakes, your colored towels, your Spanx…what am I missing?

cloudiah

Hey, clairedammit is back! Hi there. And welcome Kristine!

My scalloped potatoes were a hit at easter dinner. Apparently all I can be trusted to do is make potato dishes, but at least I do those well. I am exhausted. I am an exhausted, errant woman, but I am my OWN exhausted, errant woman.

Kristine
Kristine

Yay! The natives have accepted me as one of their own! I need a peace offering… oh! Here! http://onlylolgifs.net/post/46150827695/vastderp-nalunani-gemiblu-crateshya

clairedammit
clairedammit

Hi cloudiah! And welcome, Kristine! Katz, I think a kitten or two belongs in the welcome basket? Since we’re going to die alone with our cats and all.

A kitten? Certainly.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Penguins whores in Spanx, too, I think.

I IZ DED OF CHEETAH CUTENESS

and if anyone else has survived that, here’s a lion roaring:

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Actually, conflating Mary Magdalene and the penitant whore is very common among Baptists and Evangicals. Just the way its taught, cause you can’t have TWO good women in the Good Book. Women might think they have some worth in Gods eyes.

Argenti Aertheri

One welcome package coming right up! (Sorry for the delay, I’m sewing)

The complementary welcome package consists of a misandrist hard chair, matching bath towels, SCENTED MOTHERFUCKING CANDLES and cupcakes, delivered by female (whore) penguins in spanx.

And now a kitten care of katz.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Kitties! I just looked at all your kitty pictures…so cute.

Oh, I forgot the misandrist hard chair! I am a lousy welcoming committee.

Kitteh, that clip is highly reminiscent of Simba trying to roar in The Lion King.

clairedammit
clairedammit

That comment above was for Katz, if it wasn’t obvious.

cloudiah

Um, katz, you know where you are right? Manboobzers tired of endless kitten pictures? Does not happen, ever. 😉

cloudiah

And… I just saw that you said you know better. I think I am too sleepy to comment.

It seems like it would be tiring holding a long neck up while you sleep.

pecunium

Here’s a better take on Mary Magdalene.

cloudiah

Maybe one of you is up for taking on our April Fool’s Troll; I’m going to bed. He’s probably one of those that poops in a dead thread and runs away anyway.

Here he is:

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

pillowinhell – “I will happily sit by any of these asshats tomb and wait three days for their ressurrection. With a shot gun and a flame thrower. I’m very devoted to *getting rid of* these guys. ”

Can I play too? ::does Puss in Boots eyes::

Conflating MM and the penitent whore goes back further than that – I can’t recall offhand if it’s pre-Renaissance but you certainly see lots of paintings from that era of the Penitent Magdalene. (YAH BOO SUCKS fundies, just another Catholic idea you pinched!) 😉

katz – “Thanks; i would ask if people were getting tired of my endless kitten pictures but I know better.”

Tired … of … kitten pictures … Does Not Compute …

lowquacks – Dessie, awwww!

Niters, cloudiah!

CassandraSays

Did someone order a welcome kitty?

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Kittehs

She sits at the table like that maybe 2-3 times a week. She likes having dinner with the rest of the family, especially because we think it’s cute and encourage her with scraps.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Cassandra, that’s your darling girl, isn’t it?

lowquacks – Magnus and Katie like doing that too, though keeping them off the table is … problematic, aka impossible. I got used to eating with my elbow cocked out when those two were here. These days at Home we just give Katie her own plate, it’s easier. Mags has pretty much lost the habit, thank goodness. Our table’s not really big enough for two of them!

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Kittehs

Lavender always makes an attempt to leap to the table, but Dess just likes to sit and watch, so we’re fine with that. Our table seats 6, and there’s 5 humans, so Lav on the armchair, people at the table, and Dess on the extra seat is our usual set-up.

@ Kittehs

Yep. She was being unusually cooperative today, ie she didn’t turn away as soon as I brought out the camera.

lowquacks
lowquacks

CassandraKitteh looks wise and incredibly concerned in that.

CassandraSays

I think the wielding of the camera makes her worry about my mental state.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

She does have that “What are you doing?” expression.

CassandraSays

“Why does the human do this when she could be petting me?”

Or feeding her!

CassandraSays

BTW Mr C and I met the cutest new cat this week. She’s a cow cat, white with black splotches, and one of the splotches on her side looks like a heart. I should try to take a picture – she’s super friendly.

D’awww!

Never heard them called cow cats before, but that’s the best name. My Cindy was like that, but she only ran to a circular splodge on her shoulder. I’d love to see new kitty’s heart-shaped mark.

Dvärghundspossen

Exactly, you don’t have to drag in Pagels or the gnostic texts, just look at the standard Bible as it is – it doesn’t say anywhere that Mary Magdalene used to be a prostitute. That’s some weird mythology that has stuck without any Biblical basis. What it does say is that she used to be possessed by seven demons, which could mean basically anything. When you read about supposed possessed people in the Bible, some of them would probably have been labelled psychotic by today’s medicine (like the “I am legion” guy), some probably epileptic, some merely as having some bodily illness (if I remember right, there’s this woman who has an unclean spirit which doesn’t cause her to go crazy or anything, it just makes her have a never-ending period. That’s obviously a dangerous medical condition, but it’s not really what someone would think of today if you talked about possession).

Dvärghundspossen

Cassandra, thanks for teaching me the term “cow cat”! 😀

My sister fostered a cat like that called Doris. Doris was born on the street, her mother a street cat that an old lady used to feed. The lady kept feeding Doris, who obviously got herself pregnant when she was like six months or so. Then a cat rescue organisation that my sister volunteered for managed to capture Doris. Doris was so cool – despite being actually born on the street, she immediately made herself at home at my sister’s apartment and seemed really relaxed about the whole situation. She was a terrible mother though – once her kids had stopped breast-feeding, my sister had to take them to a separate room many times a day to feed them cat food, since Doris would just try to steal the food of her own kids otherwise. People don’t always realize this, but domestic animals, just like human beings, often hit puberty and become physically capable of having children long before they’re psychologically mature enough. Anyway, the kittens grew up fine and the entire cat family was adopted to various homes. Doris ended up living with an old lady at the countryside who already had a couple of cats.

Never knew Doris was what you’d call a “cow cat” though!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

“The lady kept feeding Doris, who obviously got herself pregnant when she was like six months or so. ”

What, no tomcat was involved?!?

CassandraSays

Cow cats are so cute. The one we just met sits on the porch waiting for people to walk past so she can run down the stairs yelling at them and demand attention. At first we were worried that she might be lost or abandoned, since she was so demanding, but I guess her people just got her because she had no collar on Wednesday but appeared with one on Saturday. She seems to be settling in and chilling out a bit, she knows where she lives now, but she still hangs out waiting to accost people who might pet her.

Dvärghundspossen

*lol* Kitten! Must have slipped on the keyboards! Or maybe the slip was in my brain… 😀

Dvärghundspossen

Actually, some animal species have females who reproduce with no male involved! For instance, I know there’s a kind of lizard which is females only. They lay eggs that hatch clones of themselves.

1 2 3 10