antifeminism drama kings imaginary oppression MRA MRA comics cavalcade

MRA Comics Cavalcade: “All Male Opinions” Silenced by “Lace Curtain Dominated Media.”

b47db15b0a30e2d3f283a84cc7065d32

This completely reasonable and not-at-all hysterical cartoon apparently ran on a site called bastardsbible.com, which alas has gone the way of the dodo. I’m not sure if that was the original source. (I don’t think so; the hanged man’s hairstyle looks pretty 197os or 80s to me.) I’m also not sure why the members of “Today’s Lace Curtain Dominated Media” are wearing boxes on their heads. Or carrying what appears to be foliage. Or why the whole thing seems to be taking place on The Little Prince’s tiny planet.

CassandraSays

Actually, based on this one, I think we may have found Slavey’s true identity.

All that’s missing is the flouride, but I’m sure he’ll get to that later.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Gawd, what a moron.

My BiL would be most surprised to learn he died years ago from having chemo.

OT: watched Roman Holiday for the first time in years tonight. Love that film, but I always cry at the end!

CassandraSays

It gets better – he believes in the Illuminati too!

Seriously, he and Slavey should become friends. It would be a first for both of them.

CassandraSays

(I’m hoping that if failtroll follows the links he might finally grasp the concept of humor being a bit more complicated than “boy those Scandinavians sure do eat a lot of fish, huh?)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’m not even bothering with failtrolls 1 and 2 on this thread. Boooring.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

But wouldn’t Slavey think metal music is the work of the devil? Get those two together and his head might explode.

… hmmm …

CassandraSays

I’m sure that Glen could recommend some nice herbs to help with that.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

😀

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I now have an image of that exploding head scene from Scanners and someone in the audience yelling “You should see a nutritionist about that!”

CassandraSays

“There are bits of my brain all over the wall”

“Hmm, have you tried acai? It’s full of antioxidants.”

ArchaeoHolmes
ArchaeoHolmes

@Kitteh’s re: Frank Zappa and a yeti..
I don’t know if you saw that anti-hunting letter in the Herald the other day by the Jedi who likes to dress up like a yeti in National parks, but I was very annoyed he didn’t use the local term “yowie” for mythical hairy hominids. Call me parochial.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

A yeti/yowie-clad Jedi?

Cor.

I don’t read the Herald, so no, didn’t see the letter. Sounds like a doozy. 🙂

archaeoholmes
archaeoholmes

@ Kitteh’s This was the letter page. Great anti-hunting letter

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Great letter indeed! I despise recreational hunters in this country, I really do. Rednecks indeed.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Well, it’s almost midnight and my eyes are like the Great Sandy Desert after a couple of hours working on a new pic of Sir, so I think it’s time to head to bed. Niters, all!

archaeoholmes
archaeoholmes

It’s weird a hobby so sadistic is acceptable. “I like killing animals with a gun on my days off.”

Buttman
Buttman

The gaping vaginal hole in the background must have some hidden meaning.

Karalora
Karalora

@cloudiah @Deoridhe

Aebleskiver is amazing. It’s like somebody went “No donut holes from making jelly donuts? Well, screw that!” But in Danish.

Deoridhe, are you in SoCal too? This is getting too good–we ought to have a Manboobz Solvang day! But not next weekend, because…I’m already going, With my sister, our friend, and her two-year-old. We try to get up there a few times a year. Last trip was in December, for the Julefest parade.

Marie

@clairedammit

I hope you’re recovering fine from your surgery. And kittehs’, good luck with your bad knee.

He does? I’m so ashamed* to say I haven’t seen much of his comments XD

*not really.

hellkell
hellkell

The gaping vaginal hole in the background must have some hidden meaning.

A gaping asshole such as yourself should be able to figure it out.

Dvärghundspossen

@Pecunium: Ah, surströmming, which literally means “sour herring”. Oh, the stench when people eat this – the STENCH. Once some kids opened a can of surströmming in our school for a joke, and the entire school stank for days. I’m not kidding you.

Obviously I can’t be asked to eat this shit since I’m vegan. However, last year our morning paper helpfully suggested a veggie-friendly alternative to serve at surströmming parties: There’s this Japanese dish made of soybeans that have sort of been rotting into a slimy and stinking texture. It can be bought at a couple of specialised Japanese stores down town. So far I haven’t been in the situation where someone goes “and we’re all having surströmming, but since you’re vegan, I bought this stinky slimy Japanese soy bean stuff for you instead!”, but I dread the day.

Falconer

He does? I’m so ashamed* to say I haven’t seen much of his comments XD

Oh, Marie, are you in for a treat!

Shaenon Garrity put together NWO’s Big Book of Learnin’, which summarizes his bizarre claims about the world.

Go, read, laugh.

@ Dvärghundspossen

You’re thinking of natto. The texture is…odd.

Marie

@falconer

I think I’ve read parts of it before, but now to see the whole thing! *cackles evilly*

Scott L
Scott L

I just took at look the Big Book Of Learnin’ and have just one question: How can one human brain contain so much wrongness about everything?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

The gaping vaginal hole in the background must have some hidden meaning.

I know I was just trashing Freud on the other thread, but seriously dude, what does it say about you that you mistook the sun for a hole (and a perfectly rounded hole for a vagina/vulva)?

And thanks to whoever it was upthread who asked Kamilla what she’s about. I was just about to so the same thing.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

The comic in the OP: does it look to anyone else like they just slapped some labels on a pre-existing drawing

Marie

@emilygodess

maybe. I didn’t think about that before, but it’s certainly possible.

also, OT, but I am finally making a penguin cake! 😀

Valerian
Valerian

Melody- Oh god am I ever. I always have at least emergency pills because I have a particularly nasty reaction and a somewhat low threshold. When I’m down to just my emergency ones, though:

Well, nice crusty bread dipped in good-quality olive oil, balsamic, and herbs helps if I’m craving cheese. Balsamic has an umami component and olive oil is fat, so the combination seems to work out. I also like homemade hummus instead of cream cheese/sour cream based dips/spreads. You can experiment with different beans if chickpeas aren’t your thing.
Avocado also fills a lot of culinary holes for me, since it can go lots of places I’d have used cheese before. Salads, sandwiches, even tortilla soup.

Try coconut creamer if you can do coconut, it doesn’t taste like coconuts. It’s harder to tell from actual dairy cream. The Plain is what I use in mashed potatoes and casseroles for the holidays, since there’s me (lactose intolerant), BIL (same), and often a vegan or two. It works great in zuppa toscana!

If you don’t like the coconut creamer, your best bet is to treat the half and half with lactase drops. I use the Seeking Health ones, got them off Amazon, they work fine but for me it takes more than the directed 24 hours, maybe 36?

Dvärghundspossen

When the LOTR movies were in cinemas I saw and heard gallons of people joking about how Sauron’s eye looked like a burning vagina, and I’m like… eh… no, it doesn’t.

CassandraSays

If your vagina looks like the eye of Sauron you should probably talk to a doctor about that.

Argenti Aertheri

“Or for half and half. I am too finky about my coffee to use soy or almond milk.”

Non-dairy creamer works if you like flavored coffee. Half the top shelf of my fridge is coffee mate hazelnut. (I’m only exaggerating slightly, a solid third is my creamer, be use buy enough and you’ll start getting coupons that basically give it away)

Ice cream, pizza, and pepper jack (the only cheese I’ll touch), I can handle in moderation (no pints of Ben & Jerry’s for me >.<)

I also did honey and sugar in the raw for awhile, but the latter is too expensive — honey and regular sugar should work though.

Dvärghundspossen

@Cassandra: *lol*

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Or for half and half. I am too finky about my coffee to use soy or almond milk.

I know I’ve said this here before, but as a fellow coffee-finicky-person and person who generally has no time for soy milk, I have found that Silk brand makes a soy creamer that’s actually a good substitute for half & half (and keeps a lot longer, which is useful given how slowly I drink it).

Argenti’s suggestion is also good, if you can stand the texture of non-dairy creamer. It’s very popular right now (at least in the States) and there are a million flavors out there.

melody
melody

@Valerian Thanks so much. I’ll give those suggestions a try.

@Argenti Aertheri I rarely get flavored coffee because I don’t like my hot coffee sweet. Cold coffee is awesome sweet, but hot needs to be mildly bitter….Not sure if bitter is the word I’m looking for.

@emilygoddess
I’ll buy some silk and give it a shot.

Now it is clear I need to go shopping.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Ha, I have the opposite preference: iced coffee is lovely black, especially if it’s cold-brewed, but it took me a while to develop a taste for hot, black coffee (and again, I prefer something less acidic, like an Americano). I still take my hot coffee with cream and sugar about half the time.

If not “bitter,” perhaps “acidic”? I get what you mean, though: sugar takes the “edge” off coffee.

CassandraSays

I’m another one who likes iced coffee less sweet than hot coffee. Less milky too – for some reason the acid in coffee bothers me more when it’s hot.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I like my coffee sweet either way. Black iced coffee isn’t really a thing here: when it’s made cold it’s made all milk, usually with ice cream added. I got a nasty shock when I was served black iced coffee in LA. 😀 I never drink black coffee.

pecunium

I like coffee, but not sweet; unless very sweet, and done with condensed milk (hot, or cold).

For milk, I like heavy cream.

natto is… strange. Not to my taste; apparently not more than 25 percent of japanese say they like it, though a bit more than half say they eat it.

Dvärghundspossen

I always drink coffee plain and black… However, in the states I bought flavoured coffee with hazelnut, or else espresso. That’s because American coffee is so ridiculously weak that it tastes like nothing unless there’s some flavouring to it.

Maybe that’s because the US is further south than Sweden, so you get more daylight in wintertime, so you need less caffeine. *intelligent speculation*

Claudine Dombrowski

Reblogged this on Battered Mothers – A Human Rights Issue and commented:
ManBoobz

Howard Bannister

So, wait, we had a thread going about greasy hair products, George Clooney was brought up, and nobody said a word about Dapper Dan?

I’m just saying, there’s a very obvious hole in this thread that needs repairing.

(and if you didn’t see the Coen brothers’ retelling of the Odyssey, you really should…)

pecunium

re coffee: I’ve had coffee in lots of places. French is ok, german was not so much. Ukraine and Korea is came in packets (really, apart from the mess hall in Korea, all I ever saw was various types of instant). Of the two, Korea was the better; it wasn’t “coffee”, but it was decent.

I’ve got swedish friends. I’ve had coffee, made by a neapolitan, in Kuwait; so I think I can say I, once, had some “Italian” coffee. I’ve had any number of turkish/arabic/lebanese/greek/bosnian/armenian/serbian coffees. As well as vietnamese.

I’ve had coffee in more parts of the US than I can think of (at this point I’ve been in/through most of the US, with the exception of the deep south), and in some of Canada (Ontario, Quebec, and Vancouver BC).

I like coffee.

It varies, a lot (one of the worst coffee and a croissant I’ve ever had was in a bakery in Paris, as is one of the best). Styles matters, and roast more. The darker the roast the stronger the flavor, and the less the caffeine (which is further affected by grind, quantity, water temperature, brewing method).

The biggest difference between most US public coffee (changing in the larger urban markets) is the use of robusta beans in the standing pot, and the amount of time it’s allowed to rest on the heating element before being discarded. The other thing is the, “endless cup”, which encourages places to make slightly weaker coffee because of cost.

This makes it a bit thin/bitter (esp. because the other thing done to cut cost is to use blends with more robusta; which has more caffeine, but is thin/bitter in flavor. A little robusta is in the best espresso blends; because the smaller quantity of beans, and the faster extraction mean the later notes of bitterness you want are a little light in a pure arabica which has been roasted to the med/dark cinnamon which is considered ideal for espresso).

The other thing is that methods of brewing with longer contact favor darker roasts, which have less caffeine; and so tend to use more beans; and so get a much more intense, flavor (Beethoven was famous for counting out 60 beans for every cup of coffee he had made by his housekeeper).

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

*takes coffee, puts some milk in, drinks it*

Personal coffee knowledge, fully utilized!

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I love the coffee discussions here, because I learn a lot. I recently finished a short stint as a barista, and even then my coffee knowledge topped out at levels of bitterness, roast darkness, and relative caffeine. And, of course, what’s in the various drinks, although I never did master the macchiato and never had to make a breve, let alone short versus long shots. Much as I dislike their coffee and espresso, I found myself envious of the training Starbucks baristas get.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I don’t want Fop goddammit, I’m a Dapper Dan man!

(Do links to YTMND need a warning? Anyway, you’ve been warned.)

O Brother is Mr. Dammit’s favorite movie.

melody
melody

I think the coffee you get depends on where you are in the states. Two things I can say about where I live is that coffee and microbrews are very popular here.
I have been to 47 states in the US and have to say not all coffee is made equal.
Have any of you tried white coffee?

Oh, the other insurance company called and left a voice mail. My friend says I shouldn’t talk to them until I talk to my adjuster.

Howard Bannister

@melody: this is very good advice. Remember that anything you say can and will be used against you. Even a sideways admission of any fault is a Bad Thing. Better to say nothing and have your insurance talk directly to theirs, because they are trained in the ways of Fault and Liability.

Howard Bannister

….but also remember that your insurance adjustor, although they are On Your Side in the sense that they want to cause the other company to pay while they don’t pay, are really not On Your Side in the larger sense of your wellbeing, and will gladly throw you under the bus if it serves their purposes. But for the question of paying out the smallest amount possible they will very happily try to maintain that it was not your fault. And they may abandon you after all is said and done and leave you to seek a new insurance company. (I have mostly positive memories of my interactions with insurance companies, but that was when it was their best interests…)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Howard, clairedammit – I’m going to be hearing George Clooney saying that all day now, thankyouverymuch. 😛