antifeminism drama kings imaginary oppression MRA MRA comics cavalcade

MRA Comics Cavalcade: “All Male Opinions” Silenced by “Lace Curtain Dominated Media.”

b47db15b0a30e2d3f283a84cc7065d32

This completely reasonable and not-at-all hysterical cartoon apparently ran on a site called bastardsbible.com, which alas has gone the way of the dodo. I’m not sure if that was the original source. (I don’t think so; the hanged man’s hairstyle looks pretty 197os or 80s to me.) I’m also not sure why the members of “Today’s Lace Curtain Dominated Media” are wearing boxes on their heads. Or carrying what appears to be foliage. Or why the whole thing seems to be taking place on The Little Prince’s tiny planet.

Marie

@cassandrasays

look…so…yummy

*drools*

hellkell
hellkell

Mmmmm, See’s candy. I have some Godiva salted caramels if anyone’s interested, and Mr. HK’s Easter basket (AKA DIabeetus Bucket) was a hit and is loaded with chocolatey treats.

CassandraSays

Those things are amazing. You can actually feel the texture of the individual grains of brown sugar – it’s old school, like something your grandma would have made.

CassandraSays

Did you get him his bunny ears too?

hellkell
hellkell

They were out of bunny ears everywhere we looked, dammit! I should have grabbed a pair yesterday. Boo.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Chocolate butterscotch, yum …

melody

Dr. Horrible
*fan girl screams*
Okay, anyone have casserole recipes that are vegetarian friendly?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Hi melody, how you doing today?

Would these recipes be of any interest?

melody

@Kitteh
Been talking to my insurance company 😛 So, mood not fabulous. I work tonight though so at least I don’t have to worry for a bit.
I think I’m going to request the collision report in order to find out what the other person is claiming.

Green Bean casserole is my fav! I’m glad it is the type with soy sauce. The best.

The spinach casserole one sounds great because I have everything except the cheese for it.

But the Shepard pie would likely be the best one to bring to a pot luck. I think more folks would go for it. Nom.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Fingers crossed for the outcome with the insurance and everything!

Glad those recipes look good, I did a random Google (knowing zilch about cooking). 🙂

pecunium

hellkell: Lutefisk: blergh. I’ve tried and I just CAN’T.

Don’t even look at surstromming, which Swedes tell me is the reason Norwegians eat lutefisk… they can’t hack surstromming.

Among those who like surstromming best, and its fans are many, there’s the belief that the contents of a can left for a year at a temperature of 68̊ F. actually improve; the can will have begun to swell, and at its puffiest must be opened gingerly, like a bottle of champagne….

Sales of surstromming are on the increase in Sweden, but its future as an export item is, predictably, dim. Although 800 cans of it used to be exported annually to Hollywood when a Swedish movie colony could still be found there, U.S. customs officials have since come to view it with suspicion, despite its proven nontoxicity. Moreover, the product doesn’t always travel well. Only recently a Swede found this out. Thinking to amaze an important New York client and the assembled board of directors with so bizarre a food, he produced the swollen can he had carried all the way from Sweden in his luggage and dramatically laid it on the table. At that moment, the can exploded.

pecunium

Cassandra: Ah, I was thinking Denmark rather than America. In which case I really should have included cheese too. Can you put havarti in a casserole?

Yes, and fontina.

pecunium

cloudiah: Those are called antimacassars, because there was a popular hair treatment called Macassar Oil.

I think the boxy look is supposd to be bags on their heads, like The Klan. They are a terrorist minority, or something.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

That’s what I took them to be, Pecunium – all the more ironic since the MRM doesn’t seem to have much of a problem with the KKK (apart from the times they like to pretend that lynchings were all about horrid women claiming to have been raped just to get a man killed, of course. Not sure how that explains the women who were lynched.)

clairedammit

Why does All Male Opinions look like Edward R. Murrow?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I thought he looked more like a dismal Alfred E. Neumann.

Nice to see you, clairedammit, how’ve you been?

melody

The KKK being compared to feminism…..

pecunium

It’s implicit in the use of the word, “lynch”.

cloudiah

@Karalora, The next time I think about visiting Solvang, I will have to remember your name. I didn’t really grow up with aebleskiver, but our Icelandic neighbor used to make the most amazing pancakes (like lace with cinnamon sugar) so I’d like to try aebleskiver. My mother had the pan, but in one of her thorough spring cleanings she gave it away. Her parents were all about assimilation, so she has no Danish recipes or language to pass on to us.

cloudiah

Oh god, the whole lynching thing. Read the fucking NAACP primary resources, which I’ve done — or read Red Summer, by Cameron McWhirter. Seriously, a good book, well researched. I love To Kill a Mockingbird but it just ain’t a broadly representative view of lynching.

clairedammit

Melody, mac and cheese, enchiladas, and lasagna are all casseroles that can be vegetarian friendly. I tend to invent endless variations on those. Here’s a vegan one from my blog that’s a favorite: http://chezcayenne.blogspot.com/2012/09/cheesy-vegan-mushroom-and-roasted.html. Feel free to use cheese and milk in it in place of the non-dairy stuff.

Pecunium, I knew the word “antimacassar” from reading Agatha Christi novels as a teenager (and aced an SAT question as a result), but I didn’t know why they were called that – thanks!

clairedammit

Hi Kitteh (and the rest of y’all)! I’m doing great. I’ve been trying to stay off the internet as much as I can, as I’ve been feeling a whole lot better after surgery a couple of months ago and now I have tons of stuff I want to get done. But I’ve still been reading posts and comments! I’ve just been getting to them late.

How is everyone?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I don’t know if he’s used macassar oil, but this gentleman has his hair styled to within an inch of its life …

clairedammit, glad to hear you’re recovering well from surgery! I’m keeping my fingers crossed right now that I won’t need surgery on my crappy knee. Got an MRI coming up in a week. Today I’m enjoying the Easter break and lovely cool wet weather. What days do you get off in the US? We have Good Friday and Easter Monday. Used to be Easter Tuesday as well until that bastard Kennett took it off us in the 90s.

clairedammit

I hope you don’t need surgery for your knee either, Kitteh! I was impressed with everyone I had to deal with during mine, though. If you do have to have an operation, I hope your team is every bit as good.

melody

@clairedammit
That is great. I’m actually lactose intolerant. I do eat dairy, but only when I take my pills and still only in small amounts. Of course, because I can’t eat dairy I like it all the more. 🙁

The Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Sandwiches looks so good too…..

melody

@the Kitteh

I hope you don’t need surgery too. Recovery sucks.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Thanks, clairedammit! I just hope that if I do need something done, my insurance will cover me for a private hospital. The waiting lists at our public hospitals have reached the point where people are dying while waiting for so-called elective surgery.

Thanks, melody! 🙂

What worries me most about the time out/recovery is that it means Mum’s got no backup while I’m more or less out of action, now that my sister’s living interstate.

pecunium

Kitteh’s: From the way the hair swings up to the right, I don’t think he’s used any oil at all.

clairedammit: For yeas, from books, I thought an anti-macassar was a type of cushion; which is funny, because my grandmother had them on the chairs (she grew up when oiled hair was quite the thing; she was a teen in the 1920s) but she never called them anything.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

You’re right, his hair has a clean rather than excessively shiny look about it. But it’s such an impressively pointy hairdo that I had to post that link. 🙂

I tend to associate the oiled hairdos with the very smoothed down, curled at the side ‘dos of maybe the 1840s to 1860s, but I haven’t found any good pics of them yet.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

This chap is the sort I’m thinking of, though I’d like to find an actual photograph.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

And OMG this coat is beautiful …

CassandraSays

OT but since we were talking about Manowar earlier, I literally guffawed when I saw this picture.

Cute booties, dude. They really set off the random spikes on your wristbands.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

OMG he looks like the love child of Frank Zappa and a Yeti.

CassandraSays

The “I will frown as I concentrate really hard on taking a dump while I hug my bass blankie for comfort” pose is really working for him too.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I love that paragraph about someone quitting a band 24 hours after announcing they’d joined it. It’s straight out of Rock Notes from Monty Python’s Contractual Obligations Album.

CassandraSays

Dimmu Borgir are hilarious. They’re like Spinal Tap meets really weird Disney movie with a drunk Tim Burton designing the costumes.

The more wanky and pretentious and super serious metal bands get the more I enjoy poking fun at them. It’s done with love, honest.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

OT (again) how good is this – George Clooney doing his best Clark Gable impersonation. 🙂

pecunium

Kitteh’s: Here is a recipe for Macassar Oil from the White House Cookbook (1887).*

As to hairdos: a few can be found here.

*It’s a wonderful cookbook. I had a friend who has a copy. We have cooked from it.

Valerian

Melody- if you’re USian, Target has by far the cheapest lactase on the market. 60 full-strength (9000 units) tablets for $6.33ish. It’s more like a quarter a pill everywhere else, which is insane. I’ve had pretty decent success with adding lactase drops to Greek yogurt and the like (cream, cottage cheese), although they don’t work well enough for milk unless I take pills too. It ends up being a lot cheaper per serving to pre-treat, but much less convenient.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

My scalp itches just looking at those hairdos …

CassandraSays

A lot of old hairstyles make me instinctively reach for the shampoo.

You know not my name
You know not my name

Just wanted to point out this bit of hilarious hypocrisy. Jokes are just jokes that no one should take seriously as sexist if they’re about dongles, but not if they’re about men and babies. http://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/1b8ynk/this_pile_of_crap_just_showed_up_on_canadian_news/

Similarity – both women get called names.

lowquacks
lowquacks

On who Hanged Fella looks like: I instantly saw a clean-shaven and slightly younger Ahmedinejad, but Ahmedinejad does have a definite Generic Vaguely Stylish Late-’70s Gentleman (BUT PERSIAN!) look to him, so. . .

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Pecunium

Without meaning to be too crass, OHMYGOODNESS Marlene Dietrich in men’s clothing. Hadn’t seen that in far too long.

Jessay (@jessay)

Riiiiiiight. Tell me again how people asking (not forcing) you to not say sexist things is just like being lynched.

melody

@Valerian
Thank you for the advice. I’ll check it out next time I’m near a target. So, next time I go out drinking lol.
I live near a bunch of bars, but I don’t drink there. I drink across town instead.
Are you lactose intolerant too? What do you do to dull the cravings when you want dairy, but don’t have your pills? Sorbet works as an ice cream alternative, but I haven’t really found a substitute for cheese. Or for half and half. I am too finky about my coffee to use soy or almond milk.

Deoridhe

OMG, I love Solvang.

For Christmas this year, we made savory, filled aebleskiver, and of course the requisite frikadeller and creamed cabbage (which is awesome!). When my mom got married the second time, she and my brother made her a cake out of kransekage, which was also completely awesome and delicious. A lot of work, though. They also make homemade marzipan every year, and I am completely spoiled and can’t eat store bought.

I’m 1/4 Danish (literally, Grandma came from Denmark when she was four) and we keep some of the traditions alive.

talacaris