a woman is always to blame men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny MRA oppressed men patriarchy patronizing as heck rape culture we hunted the mammoth

Men’s Rights Redditor: “Women are like parasites.”

Some epic we-hunted-the-mammoth ranting from the Men’s Rights subreddit.

MRmenciv

I should note — before some angry MRA does — that the thread I found this in is devoted to an outrageously hateful and over-the-top “kill all men” rant someone posted as a comment on Pharyngula. Naturally, no one there agrees with “Etienne,” nor do I. Indeed, I don’t allow those kinds of comments here, but the plain fact is that I never, as in literally not once that I can remember, get comments like that from feminists. I do get plenty of violent comments from MRAs, though; in the past week alone I’ve censored comments from people who gave themselves the usernames rapeabitch, RapeMan, and Woman Beater.

titianblue
titianblue

TTF, good to hear you’re alright. If you’re determined to wallow, make it a bubble bath surrounded with scented fucking candles.

historophilia
historophilia

Glad to see you being yourself again TTF.

And see Trolls? This is how you do a graceful apology.

AK
AK

I’m really sorry to hear about your cat, lowquacks. It’s always so hard to lose one.

freemage
freemage

lowquacks: Much sympathy for you and your companion.

TTF: Glad to hear you’re back to something approaching normal; the apology is appreciated and, I think, generally accepted.

On-topic:

I’ll be honest–the original screed by Etienne that prompted the Reddit post? Didn’t upset me all that much when I went back to read it. One of the entry costs of calling myself an ‘ally’ in various social-justice movements is the occasional bit of blow-back and friendly fire, and the rage behind that piece is, frankly, something I feel myself pretty frequently. I had pretty much the same reaction to the “Die Cis Scum” meme that went around a little while ago–a general anger at the individuals of my own privileged group whose toxic behavior has made such reactions so very, very understandable.

The more feminist, the more just our society becomes, the fewer such sentiments will be expressed. So if I don’t want to be told to ‘die’ for being white, straight, cis and male, the best thing I can do about that is work to make society more fair.

melody
melody

@freemage
That is pretty much my reaction to the pushback against white feminists. I agree not enough is being done to be inclusive in the push for rights for women.

cloudiah

TTF, Thank you for the apology.

Everyone, the guy featured in the original post has written some amusing followup posts. But my favorite is his reply for someone asking him to provide citations to back up his claims in his original comment:

I don’t have to cite the claims, I’m the one making them you dumbass.

I’m not referencing someone else’s ideas or work, you want citations, pull your head out of your ass and take a look at reality.

I’m just sorry that I am done with my thesis so that I can’t try using those as citations.

On another note, it appears that a downvote brigade has visited the thread, since late yesterday his original comment had a net of 10 upvotes, and now it is like 23 downvotes. I wish people wouldn’t do that, because it makes it look like r/mr condemns the comment — which I don’t think is true.

cloudiah

Also, I’m just going to post this bit of personal news here: My mother had a gastrointestinal tumor removed last year, and has been taking an experimental medication they hoped would prevent a recurrence. She just called me with the results of her PET scan, and there is no trace of any abnormality!

I closed the door to my office so that I could do a little happy dance.

Howard Bannister

Cloudiah: Sweet!

Howard Bannister

Wow, that is… “I don’t need citations, my assfax are IMMACULATE!!”

Heh. Of course it is.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Hey TTF, glad to see you feeling more like yourself again.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

If you’re going to cite “reality” on a paper I think it needs to be in all caps to capture the authentic childish dumbass spirit.

hellkell
hellkell

cloudiah: that’s excellent news! *joins you in happy dance*

cloudiah

This is going to annoy r/mr, I bet.

(Do NOT read the comments unless you feel up to handling sexism, misrepresentation of facts, etc.)

Kakanian
Kakanian

That all-women city was a project somebody in Saudi Arabia cooked up. I guess the House of Saud needed another nutty hobby other to round out funding international terrorism and defacing Mecca.

Marie

@falconer

And all the more raisin oatmeal cookies for me, if they’re not in universal demand. For some reason I’ve gone off chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip muffins are great, OTOH.

Me too. Not completely, but I like other cookies much better than chocolate chips ones.

@lowquacks

That sucks 🙁 All the jedi hugs to you and your kitty if you want them.

@TTF

Sorry if this is out of place, as I haven’t talked to you anywhere besides that thread, but I’m glad that you came back and apologized. Thank you for the apology.

I don’t have to cite the claims, I’m the one making them you dumbass.

Wow. wow. If I have to right a paper again I should try this XD (not really, because it’s a horrible plan, but I’m just amazed he gave that excuse. Couldn’t he have at least linked to another mra? I know they’re unreliable, but it seems better than ‘I pulled it out of my ass’.

@cloudiah

Yay for your mother! 😀

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Well, by Jaros logic, one woman struggling with some code means all women should cook, and one woman saying something means all women think the same way. At least he’s consistant?

Whoo. Hoo. So you’ve mastered a basic cooking skill. One that I (a woman) and many other people use on a very frequent basis. So what? And what’s the point of buying an entire chicken if your family won’t eat the entire chicken? Last I checked, men were buying parts as well…

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Jaro, libido and sexual attraction are two seperate yet closely related things. I understand that you have sexist tendencies so nuance might be a little difficult for you to grasp…but I’m sure that if you just sit down and think about it you’ll eventually understand, honey.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

They much prefer the second class citizenry that MEN have been reduced to.

It’s OK, ButtMAN. Some day soon, we’ll start to see male executives, male representatives, male actors in non-romantic roles…maybe even a male head of state! Once men start being allowed into positions of political and social power, you’ll be able to start closing that gap. I believe in you!

Howard Bannister

PS: his bugaboo about women coders is about a woman deriving a faulty return from code–that is operating counter-intuitively.

That is, anybody who knows math knows that you determine order of operation by the operator. Even high-end languages (some) will interpret your math this way, because it is intuitive. We know this rule.

But no. He is operating in a counter-intuitive language where a different rule takes precedent.

Why, I have never ever EVER seen a male coder make that kind of mistake in their code!

Or all the flipping time, one or the other. I don’t see why it would make a difference which one it is. Hmm.

Certainly I wish I could be there to debug his code. It might be entertaining.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

As for the OP: someone obviously hasn’t heard of Umoja. They’ve been doing just fine without men for almost 20 years now.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

TTF – apology totally accepted, hugs if you want them, glad to see you back again!

cloudiah – wonderful news, so happy for you and your mum! ::does happy shoulder dance::

AK
AK

@emilygoddess, thanks for linking that. I wasn’t familiar with it. From the sounds of it, the women aren’t just doing fine without men…they’re doing better than the men who tried to show them up!

Shiraz
Shiraz

Sorry lowquacks, kitty love is powerful.

Seranvali
Seranvali

CassandraSays:

“Back to “you need us to defend you from us” again. That’s not a relationship, it’s a protection racket.”

Exactly. When I was studying this kind of behaviour we even used that term. If we believe it it seriously restricts our lives, to say nothing of the moral cesspit it encourages. Basically they’re saying that we can either be a sexual object to one man or all men and we have no other options.

WeeBoy
WeeBoy

All your talk of baked goods made me hungry. So I’m making brown sugar biscuits. I’ll share.

OH NOES, WOMEN IN CONSTRUCTION!

Should I go outside and tell Lara, the boss of the gang currently painting our house, that she doesn’t exist?

Argenti Aertheri

TTF — thank you for the apology, and I’m glad you’re alright. If you’re going to wallow I suggest chocolate, or Ben & Jerry’s, or both (try the Half Baked, it’s excellent!)

Argenti Aertheri

cloudiah — awesome news!

WeeBoy — if it will amuse her, then yes, otherwise probably not wise, she is in charge of painting your house after all!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

::waves hand, makes kitty eyes::

Any spare brown sugar biscuits?

Marie

@kittehs

Cutest kitty eyes ever!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Now: You know, I think it’s just hilarious that you’re in charge of this project even though you’re a girl!

Later: Why is my house baby puke green? It didn’t look like this when we picked out the paint chips.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Bakers of Manboobz, I have a challenge for you! Does anyone have a recipe for chewy ginger cookies with ginger icing? A friend of my mum’s from Texas used to make those and I’ve been craving them.

WeeBoy
WeeBoy

Given that I thought I would only get 15 bikkies and I have ended up with 20, SHARING ALL ROUND!

And I won’t go bother Lara, she’s already had to deal with scaffolders who were unbelievably useless (and all men… hmmm…) plus she’s wielding a heat gun.

Deoridhe

Congrats, LBT!

Histrophilia, all the hugs in the world, fo’srs, only consensual hugs!! I made these awesome chocolate fudgy cookies that you could add just about anything too and they were delish, so I add them to the cookie pile of delight and goodness.

Lowquacks: So much love for you and your family and lavvy. Much love and much more pleasant extended time be in your future. *offers hugs and cookies*

Glad to see you around, timetravellingfool!

cloudiah: Yay yay yay yay! I live in fear of my mom getting sick; I love her so much.

Eleanor of Aquatain is one of my favs. Yeah, she started a civil war with her husband, but she was awesome! Also, Margrethe I and II of Denmark! Henrietta Lacks, who gave us HeLa cells. bell hooks. Kathleen Cleaver, Angela Davis and Erika Huggins of the Black Panthers.

And all the women who lived extraordinary lives that were never recorded.

Y’all are making me wanna bake.

Sylocat
Sylocat

And Etienne’s awful rant is just copy-pasted from a years-old post on some fringe radfem blog, I think it was EveBitFirst.

Sylocat
Sylocat

And you’d think I’d have noticed that someone already pointed that out on the second page…

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Welcome, Sylocat! 🙂

You’ve passed the first Manboobz test, posting and then thinking “Damn!”

The next one is the dreaded Blockquote Monster …

M Dubz

@Histrophilia- I am sorry that happened to you. Ick ick ick a world of ick.

@LBT- Mazal tov on your new project! I can’t wait to read that story, and I may have to dig up some money to sponsor others…

@Lowquacks- I am sending hugs for your kitty. I hope his remaining time is peaceful and full of pets.

cloudiah- glad to hear about your mom’s continued good health!

As to awesome woman from history:

Murasaki Shikibu, inventor of the novel.
Beruria, Talmudic scholar and all around badass.
Rebecca Gratz, philanthropist and innovator of Jewish education in America.
Dr. Vera Weizman, founder of the Women’s Zionist Organization, responsible for funding the foundation of the State of Israel.

And on that note, Happy Passover to all of the readers of a Jewish persuasion (and anyone else who is celebrating with friends and family)!

hrovitnir
hrovitnir

lowquacks – I’m sorry to hear about your kitty. It’s pretty crap waiting, but sometimes they can be comfortable way longer than you think. *fingers crossed*

Glad to hear your good news though Cloudiah!

Dvärghundspossen

Oh, are we making lists of famous women in history? Elizabeth Anscombe! http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/anscombe/ One of the greatest philosophers of the twentieth century no doubt.

Also; She was a devout catholic and opposed to birth control and abortion, and although I’m not sympathetic to these views, it’s sort of extra amazing that she didn’t just manage to become a super famous philosopher at a time when philosophy was even more male-dominated than it is today, she managed to do so while having SEVEN children.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Person you want to butter up? Extra cookies? I have a thought…

Marie

You’ve passed the first Manboobz test, posting and then thinking “Damn!”

The next one is the dreaded Blockquote Monster …

I must be a true manboobzer, cuz I post and think damn a lot XD

Though I don’t think I bork my block quotes too often.

cherabushka

[blockquote]I doubt that post was from a modern feminist. Feminists don’t want to kill all men. They want to enslave all men and have them do the menial jobs while the ladies run around and party. They much prefer the second class citizenry that MEN have been reduced to.[/blockquote]

you hit the nail right on the head, now put on your dunce cap and go back to the coal mines while i run around in this party hat and cocktail dress

Cannonball
Cannonball

@Histrophilia I just checked the last thread I made an appearance in, So sorry that this is apropos of nothing but my original degree was in criminal justice. My masters is in Sociology. I think they fall under both.

pecunium

To add to the list

Rosalyn Yallow

pecunium

M Dubz: Thanks. We had good Sedarim. Passover is why I am so far behind. Cleaning, then first seder (at friends) then work, and second seder, and more work.

pecunium

I hope your Passover is going well.

pecunium

For amusement, our Seder at home had me Beloved being both the Head of Household, and the Youngest Person Present.

M Dubz

@precuinum- Glad to hear your seder went well! I hosted for the first time ever this year after many years of leading my family seder at my parents’ (first night) and then was with one of my professors second night. One of the advantages of being in Jew school is that my spring break and Passover break are the same, so I had ample time to prepare. Both seders were very relaxed; lots of good conversation, and THE CUTEST BABY (dead of cute)

00000
00000

Parasites are pretty cool actually. I wouldn’t mind morphing into a bot fly larva and boring into that guy’s skin.