a voice for men a woman is always to blame advocacy of violence antifeminism douchebaggery dozens of upvotes harassment hate hundreds of upvotes misogyny MRA no girls allowed oppressed white men racism reactionary bullshit reddit taking pleasure in women's pain the c-word

Men’s Rights Activists Greet Adria Richards’ Firing with Cheers, Gendered Slurs

Adria-Richards

And so the Internet has found a new woman to hate. Most of you are probably already familiar with the Adria Richards debacle that’s developed over the past several days. If not, Jill at Feministe has a good summary of events:

Adria Richards, formerly of the company SendGrid, was at a tech conference this week when some dudes behind her made a series of inappropriate and sexual jokes. Annoyed by the pervasiveness of misogyny in the tech world, she snapped a photo of them and put in on Twitter with a complaint. One of the conference organizers spoke to the men and they apologized. Totally reasonable! Good response, PyCon. Later, one of the dudes got fired. Instead of getting mad at the company that made the choice to fire him, the internet hordes descended on Adria. She was on the receiving end of rape and death threats. Her address and phone number were published. Her blog and her company’s website came under DDoS attack. Oh and then her company, SendGrid, fired her.

Like Jill, I think firing someone for a “dongle” joke is an overreaction, to say the least. But Richards wasn’t responsible for that; indeed, she told the fired man she hoped his employer would reconsider and take him back.

SendGrid’s firing of Richards is far more problematic. It’s one thing to get in trouble for acting like a sexist boor; it’s quite another to get in trouble for simply pointing out someone else’s problematic behavior. Richards faced a virtual lynch mob for simply documenting an example of the everyday sexism that permeates the tech world; by firing her, SendGrid essentially sided with the mob.

Is “lynch mob” an unfair term to describe those who’ve gone after Richards? No. In this context, the term is sadly apropos, as the target of all this online “activism” is not only female but black – two strikes against her in the minds of many of her, er, “critics,” who attacked her as a “fucking nigger” as well as a “cunt.” (The more genteel racists referred to her derisively as a “diversity hire.”)

Numerous commenters have already documented some of the appallingly racist and misogynist attacks on Richards. (The links in the above paragraph contain plenty of examples.)

Here, I’d like to focus specifically on the attacks on Richards coming from Men’s Rights activists – that is, from people who like to think of themselves as upstanding human rights activists for the 21st century, virtual equivalents of Martin Luther King. In fact, many of the reactions of MRAs show them to have far more in common with the bigots who fought against the civil rights movement than they do with King.

In the Men’s Rights subreddit, the MRA masses gave more than one hundred upvotes to a graphic describing Richards as a “racist, sexist and hypocritical cunt.” Evidently pointing out that white men as a class have certain advantages in the world is a kind of “racism.”

Elsewhere in the subreddit, aasorted commenters indulged themselves in gendered slurs. Greyfeld got dozens up upvotes for comments denouncing Richards as a “feminist cunt” and a “screeching harpy cunt.” DerpaNerb described Richards as “a racist/sexist cunt [who’s] clearly … not capable of doing her job properly.” Buster2209 scored 160 upvotes with a comment describing Richards as a “stupid bitch [who] brought it on herself.” Cyridius simply declared “I hate her because she’s a dumb ignorant bitch.”

Others happily gave the Men’s Rights movement credit for Richards’ firing. The execrable EvilPundit got 180 upvotes for a post essentially endorsing the virtual lynch mob and declaring Richards’ firing to be proof that the Men’s Rights movement had entered a “new phase.”

MRevpun

Sorry to burst your bubble, Mr. Pundit, but there’s nothing new about men harassing and threatening a black woman.

AnnArchist – a former contributor to Reddit’s now-banned Beating Women subreddit —  reacted with indignation to someone who pointed out Richards had been harassed:

MRannnn

Over on A Voice for Men, where the locals describe themselves with no sense of irony as Men’s Human Rights Activists, there was much rejoicing over the firing of Richards, who was variously described as an “entitled bitch,” a “sociopathic bitch,” a “femshit” and a “bush pig.” Naturally, the c-word, applied to all feminists, made an appearance as well.

Daflory hoped that Richards’ firing would be the start of an industry-wide purge:

Adria Richards seems like an entitled narcissist, who had become used to deference as a moral authority through her impeccable credentials as a diversity goddess: black, Jewish, and female. …

No one ever told Adria Richards that she was at best only an tolerated guest in the world of tech, and she could either play by male rules and contribute, or get lost. Hopefully other feminists in tech will get a similar message.

And August Løvenskiolds’ mind went straight to the gutter:

[A]fter being outed as a betrayer of her customers, none of them will want to work with her, and any tech company that hires her will instantly lose credibility.

She’s going to be hard-pressed to find a job as a sex-worker unless the light is quite dim.

Taking a step back from the particulars of the incident, Mark Trueblood wondered if a man strike might help to put things right once again:

AVFMtrueblood

I’m pretty sure Amnesty International doesn’t exactly endorse this sort of “human rights” activism.

Marie

@Argenti Aertheri

Earth mother vagina (SFW)

That’s too funny XD This may only prove I’m, like emotionally 12, though.

I don’t know why all meds are white pills, but I’ve got anti depressants that come in two doses, a 100mg pill and a 25 mg pill, and it really bugs me that they’re different colors. THEY ARE THE SAME MEDICINE, WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT COLORS! um…hehe…anyhows.

@Argenti Aertheri

If you hadn’t realized ignore it, it means I speak well enough to get my points across and should be judged accordingly.

I meant I didn’t know in what context the comment similar to mine came up.(just for …disclosure?)

TomBcat

Also, thanks, I already read that.

pecunium

Slings and Arrows is wonderful. Only three seasons, but the opener is a bit of Music Hall sort of doggerel, and changes each season.

His Passchensdael is pretty good, if a bit conventional; and a slightly overdone in the ending (which is hard to say about that battle, in that war).

Argenti Aertheri

TomBCat — context was just that fundamentally the same topic came up here and there, the same day, drunk me was remarking on the serendipity of it.

And as someone who failed English because of failing spelling, I love autocorrect.

pecunium

talacaris: For starters, you dont’ consider me an actual troll, which is demeaning. Secondly, all I hear is “boring, weaksauce &c”, while others get hundreds of replies,like looksie/virgil. So what did he do more intelligently than me?

Nothing. You are aspiring to the bottom. They are not being more intelligent than you are. What they aren’t is quite as transparent. You will never manage it here, because you have confessed to one and all that your purpose is to troll. What they have, and you lack, is a pathetic sincerity.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Paul Gross is funny. I think, under other circumstances, I would probably find Due South-era Paul Gross reasonably attractive. But that show first aired in 94, when I was 5 and he was about 35; so when I look at him, all I think of is my dad.

cloudiah

TomBCat, I might have been a little harsh on you earlier, so I just wanted to extend my apologies. I had just finished reading the epic Pharyngula thread on Adria Richards and was kind of wired for trolls, but you seem like you’re here in good faith.

mildlymagnificent

I think all the acupuncturists here in Oz would be private, and I’d be very surprised if Medicare or my private fund covered them.

I know you’re in Melbourne, so I might be lifting your hopes unreasonably. I went to a practice that gave acupuncture – no needles!! Yaaaayy!! – they used lasery thingies. Aaaand, they were GPs. So the consults, treatments were covered by Medicare – different, lower rebates for these, but much, much cheaper out of pocket than anyone I’ve ever heard of practising as non-medical acupuncturists.

Did I mention? Acupuncture with no needles! Yippee!

(I know there are some people who argue that this isn’t acupuncture at all. But I don’t care. It was bluddy marvelous. But time consuming to go 2 or 3 times a week.)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

mildlymagnificent – that’s worth looking up!

It might also explain a sign I see about laser therapy for quitting smoking, which always makes me go “huh?” – it could mean laser acupuncture. (I don’t smoke, it’s just a sign that caught my eye because it seemed weird.)

I checked on my private insurance, and their extras cover includes acupuncture, so if it’s something to try, I’ll have a look about that laser version. No needles makes all the difference.

marinerachel
marinerachel

I think Paul Gross may be older than my dad and I still want him to do sexy things to me. He is so. Freaking. Hawt. Men with Brooms, baby. Thats where it’s at.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I just checked – he was born in 1959. Older’n me, younger’n my sister. 🙂

marinerachel
marinerachel

Yup, older than my dad. Do. Not. Care. That man is a national treasure.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I just finished watching another episode of Due South! Fraser and the Inspector snogging on top of a moving train packed with explosives. Oh my. 🙂

Howard Bannister

Pecunium nailed it. You think of trolling as an activity requiring intelligence? All it requires is a keyboard. They’re more vile (VILE!) because they believe it. You lack conviction. That makes you a weak troll.

And it makes you a terrible human being. You think that joking about hating women is funny. In a backdrop where hating women creates an atmosphere that kills women. Literally kills women. (you don’t even have to get off the front page here to see that, you know)

And you know this, and you perpetuate it anyway.

It makes you unfunny, unclever, and rotten to the core.

Would you like more responses? Take a little time to think very hard about your life, about the choices that have landed you in the sad place where you are. Because you could continue to be the most boring troll in creation, or you could reconsider your life choices. There are a lot of non-boring things you could be doing.

Try one of them, maybe.

talacaris

” You think that joking about hating women is funny”

No. Where have I done these jokes? Where have I written directly hateful things? Quibbling on language, nomenclature and producing illogic and warped perceptions of reality is another thing.

talacaris

“You lack conviction. That makes you a weak troll.” And as I’ve said before, if you’re convinced you are not a trolling.

And yes trolling must require intelligence, to select which fact of reality to distort, which rules of logic to warp, which context and semantic to ignore. And then avoiding direct hate and invocatives, beacause that’s ugly. So stop wishing for better trolls, because it is not so easy. Or at least, if you’re gonna continue with these kind of wishes, please specify what you want. Somebody have said here that I’ve been switching between faux-troll and genu-troll. Is the faux-troll approach more preferrable?

hellkell
hellkell

You’re dull even when you’re trying do whatever it is you’re trying to do here. Just leave.

Howard Bannister

” You think that joking about hating women is funny”

This is why you fail, right here. Because your entire trolling run is one long joke about hating women, and you don’t even know that.

It’s the entire purpose of your existence here, and YOU CAN’T EVEN SEE IT.

Go read a book.

talacaris

“Because your entire trolling run is one long joke about hating women, and you don’t even know that” No, I’ve always tried to avoid the hateful things,

“It’s the entire purpose of your existence here, and YOU CAN’T EVEN SEE IT”

Because it is not so.

Howard Bannister

Denying it doesn’t make it less so.

You think your hands are clean just because you don’t say it yourself?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Being oh-so mild mannered and polite and yet just annoying enough to rile up some people, thus provoking scolding and “proving” that feminists are unreasonable meanies is what talacaris sets out to do. He’s not stupid, just dishonest.

talacaris

“You picked a side a long time ago. By your antagonism, you declare every hateful word to be true. By your position, you affirm the things the other trolls say.”

Guilt by non existent association. A says something. B replies something hateful. C does some nitpicking about the way A expressed the statement. By your logic C has picked sides with B and stands under with what B has said. This is obvious that is not so.

“You think your hands are clean just because you don’t say it yourself?”

Of course. I can’t take responbility for what other people do.

Howard Bannister

Yeah, go you. You don’t bully marginalized people yourself, you just police them while the haters shout.

C sure as hell ain’t standing with A.

Take responsibility for what YOU do.

talacaris

” “proving” that feminists are unreasonable meanies is what talacaris sets out to do. ”

I have never used that argument, so that’s not my point

talacaris

“C sure as hell ain’t standing with A.”
Who knows? C could agree in general with most of what A said

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

That’s nice, dear.

Marie

God talacaris is so boring.

hellkell
hellkell

Wall of Blah

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Points for unique and creative use of punctuation, though.

Argenti Aertheri

Unless C publicly, openly, supports A, nobody but C knows whether C really agrees with A. But anyways, intent isn’t magic, if C gets pedantic about what A said, in any manner that could be construed as supporting B, then C might as well be supporting B since that’s what it’ll look like to an observer.

And I’m as guilty of pedantry as anyone, but even I know that there’s a time and place and you fucking say that you don’t mean to nitpick, you agree overall, but [thing] — eg this citation is wrong, here’s the correct one.

TomBcat

As a very late response to
@cloudiah
on a thread that has long since died, but I felt like pointing out that you definitely didn’t seem harsh to me but very helpful. You didn’t shut me up, you explained. When I go to a new space full of regulars to express my opinions I expect to be put in my place. That’s what I asked for, and contrary to the trolls in the last few days who were here to “learn something”, I actually meant it.
So please feel free to be harsh 🙂

Also, this may be stupid, but this seems like a safe place and a lot of people here are playing with open cards, so:

I’m more or less still recovering from a very abusive relationship in which I was forcefully indoctrinated into a self hating, misogynistic worldview, so I’m actually happy for every bit of a different view.
That also means I sometimes say stupid stuff.

TomBcat

Wow, that seems overly dramatic now…………………………………………
also my . is jammed.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

TomBcat, if you can’t be overly dramatic here then where can you be? 😀 I’m literally screaming about penguin cupcakes on the other thread.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Welcome, TomBcat. People here can be harsh with those who embrace their assholery, but we’re pretty forgiving with those who slip up and are willing to own it, especially when it’s clear where it’s coming from.

Marie

@tomB cat.

Internet hugs if you want them. That sounds horrible. Feel free to vent about it here, if you need to. I don’t mind, and I don’t think many of the regulars would. It’s mostly when trolls try to make every thread about them.

Fade
Fade

It doesn’t really seem overly dramatic to me. I mean, sometimes bad things happen that are outside the norm, so sometimes (jerky) people think you’re blowing it up out of porportion when your not.

But I don’t think anyone’s going to say you’re doing that here. XD

All the jedi hugs if you want them.

Marie

@tomBcat

Also a warm welcome from me if I haven’t said hi to you already. (I know I’ve seen you in another thread, but don’t know if I’ve welcomed you yet).

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

BTW has anyone seen lowquacks around? I’m a bit worried about him, hope he’s doing OK.

So nice 🙂
I knew I should start commenting here 🙂
And yes, Marie, you welcomed me multiple times 🙂
You make me make smileys a lot…
Also I’m really fine, the recovery part is more or less just getting the voice out of my head that still tells me that all you nice people must be wrong and there’s something inherently wrong with my gender, nothing that can’t be silenced by moving over to a thread that is about penguin cupcakes AND Kurosawa!
(I’ve got penguin shaped scented candles here, they’d fit in very well I think)

Marie

@TomBcat

😀 Thanks.

And penguin shaped scented candles…those sound perfect. I have candles shaped like a ghost and a pumpkin, but sadly I do not know if they are scented.

On the note of misandry*, do you want to know what I saw while shopping? Pie-shaped candles! There was one like an apple pie, and one like a chocolate pudding pie, and I wanted one so bad! But sadly I did not have 15$ to spend on them.

/candle rambles.

*misandry is always our note, right?

cloudiah

Hugs to TomBcat, if they’re wanted!

I am also worried about lowquacks. 🙁

Marie

@cloudiah

What happened to lowquacks? (if it’s not private). I’ve seen them around a couple times, but didn’t know something was wrong. 🙁

@ Marie
Just saw this and don’t know if it is my place, but lowquacks posted about some problems I think in this thread, I don’t know if that is what it was about. I think I saw zir(?) somewhere later in another thread.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Marie – lowquacks asked for prayers for his mum and his cat Lavender. His mum has cancer and his kitty may too, and had to go to the vet yesterday, and may have had to be put to sleep. I can’t remember which thread it was in, but he asked everyone and linked to it elsewhere, so it’s not private news I’m repeating.

Marie

@kittehs

Oh, yeah, I remember that now, I just didn’t connect the name for a moment. I hope he’s okay 🙁

Seriously?
Seriously?

You’re stupid for thinking that AFTER THE FACT, when Ms. Richards said she hopes his employer takes him back, she meant it.

hellkell
hellkell

There’s someone being stupid here, but it’s not us.

1 8 9 10