creepy disgusting women drama kings entitled babies evil fat fatties incel irony alert misogyny pedophiles oh sorry ephebophiles PUA racism

How to Hate and Envy Every Single Person in the World, PUAhate edition

Some guys get all the chicks
Some guys get all the chicks

The regulars at PUAhate.com – we’ve met them before — are a strange and bitter bunch. Most seem to be self-loathing so-called “incels” who blame their lack of romantic and sexual success on their average or below-average looks. Rejecting the basic premise of the pickup artist crowd – that average guys can transform themselves into suave lotharios by mastering manipulative pickup formulas – the PUAhate regulars tend to be true believers in what they somewhat pretentiously call “looks theory,” the odd and obviously untrue notion that women only date men with “male model” looks.

As one PUAhater put it recently:

PUA makes you think that all your problems are because of your personality/behaviour – i.e. things you can control. So when you keep failing, it means that YOU are fucking up and doing things wrong

the reality is that many of us just lost the genetic lottery. we are ugly, the wrong race, the wrong height etc, and that fucked us up. there is NOTHING we can do about it

So, naturally, the PUAhaters spend a lot of their time jealous of tall, good-looking men for their supposed monopoly on the women of the world — whom they also hate.

But the strange thing is that the PUAhaters pretty much hate everyone else as well. They get angry when guys they consider ugly score “hot chicks.” They get angry when guys who are good-looking but not male models get attention from “really hot girls.” And so on, and so on, and so on.

Indeed, many of the regulars seem to walk around in a perpetual state of rage, angry at each and every man who’s managed to pair up with a woman, not to mention the women as well.

One regular recently described his “day from hell” to his comrades:

To start the day I saw a couple where it was an average White guy with an OBESE Asian girl. They were walking around acting like they were trying to prove shit. LMAO. I wanted to kick the guy in the fucking nuts for dating that landwhale. If you’re going to use the racial advantage, at least date a girl who is under 300lbs. Later I go to the gym and see the same tall guys I usually do. Even if I had a good face, how the fuck do you compete with guys who are fucking 6’4”?

Then at the gym there’s this good looking White guy there talking to this Asian dude about how Asian girls are easy and how they approach him. To make things worse after that these fucking frat douchebags come in with their girlfriends to show off . Then to cap off the day a girl I used to know from freshman year walks right past me without even saying anything. I used to fucking live next door to this bitch and now she doesn’t even say anything and acts like a pretentious cunt. She’s an Indian girl dating a White dude lmao. Days like today make you wonder why you even still try in the first place.

Of course, as I’ve mentioned before, most of those posting on PUAhate don’t actually seem to be ugly by anyone’s standards but their own, at least judging from the pictures of themselves they sometimes post to the site, which reveal them to be mostly average-looking guys, with some of the regulars even quite conventionally handsome.

But evidently they would rather believe that they have “lost the genetic lottery” rather than face a more obvious explanation for why the girls don’t like them: because they’re shallow, self-obsessed assholes who hate themselves and hate women and radiate their bitterness from every pore. (And some are even creepier than this, like this pedophile – sorry, ephebophile – who’s angry at me personally because unlike him I don’t chase after 15-year-olds. Link NSFW.)

The PUAhaters often talk about getting surgeries to “correct” their supposed genetic flaws. They would do far better to spend that money on therapy.

Howard Bannister

@timetravelingfool

@ Howard- Hey, just today someone suggested I should be a firefighter! I can lift a 200 lb man over my head, so that’s a thing I can do that might be helpful. Plus my old coach was rabidly against female fire fighters and I like to stick it to him. And it’s as close as I can get to risky helpfuk work without shooting someone.

Hah! Your old coach is seriously wrong. I have known women who could out-firefight 90% of the guys on the department. He wants to tell some of our most powerful firefighters to go home? He can go home. For seriously. Even the sexist dinosaurs in the fire service have figured out that women can fight fires.

And on the suggestion that you be a firefighter… the hardest part of the job isn’t the physical requirements, in my experience. Some days you drive up and people are dying and you get to be superman and save their lives. And that is the best feeling in the whole world. But some days you drive up and people are dying and there’s not a thing you can do and they die while you give them mouth-to-mouth. And that is the absolute worst feeling in the world.

There’s a serious emotional whiplash to it. But there’s an incredible need for firefighters. Everywhere I go we’re shorthanded, and every day people are in danger and need help. Day after day.

When I first joined I thought it was a small-town volunteer thing that would be like volunteering for the PTA or something. Put in a few years of effort, do the ‘community’ thing.

Instead it’s life or death stuff, all the time. It really recalibrated my sense of what’s important.

Dvärghundspossen

Regarding science fiction… Well, there’s the term “hard sci-fi” which I’ve heard applied to, for instance, the stuff my beloved Alistair Reynolds writes (okay, I don’t love EVERYTHING he writes, but quite a lot of it). The spaceships are much much faster than anything we have today, but they still can’t go faster than light, there’s no artificial gravity except what you can get by spinning or accelerating stuff, there’s no teleportation, no time-travel, but fancy biotech, fancy computers and cyborgs.

MOST stuff that go by the name sci-fi though basically just differs from what goes by the name fantasy by a) taking place in space and/or the future, rather than some vague medieval setting, and b) having different terminology.

That’s fine by me, though. I don’t put any particular significance in the word “science” in “science fiction”. Even if the term originally meant “fiction where the stories revolve around science” (hence the name), that’s not what it means any longer, and I’m okay with that.

Howard Bannister

I’ve been on a John Scalzi kick lately. There’s some hard sci-fi that’s fun. Charlie Stross.

But I also read fantasy novels with magic swords. So any combination of the two works for me too. 😀

historophilia
historophilia

To my mind the term Science Fiction can be applied to:

a) Anything set in the future

b) Anything featuring technology which doesn’t exist in reality

c) Anything set on another planet or in an alternate reality/universe

c) Anything featuring extra-terrestrials

So it can be pretty broad, but I like that. Science Fiction explores so many things, it’s why I love it as a genre.

I like Fantasy too, but I get so tired of all the Tolkein rip offs and a lot of the time I find them lacking in any real imagination.

A lot of the time you get books which are just a medievil-ish world with magic stuck in and they aren’t really doing anything new or exploring any new ideas.

I like books like the Abhorsen series or The Age of the Five as they’re actually trying something different with magic as a concept.

Falconer

Yay I helped prolong the thread!

@Argenti: No, I haven’t read erfworld since it left the Giant site. I wasn’t all that caught by it in the first place, but I did find it amusing.

Gillian

So I have a serious grouch and ulterior motives today. I went to the Godley thread and read for a while, but those videos gave me a serious skeeve, and the trolls who showed up there are tedious, so pleh, I’m coming back over here for my fun today. And waiting for the coffee to kick in so that I don’t rip the head off the next person who says hello to me.

@pecunium Ugh. Just ugh.

Gillian

@freemage Poor Johann! My two are girls from the same litter. Evie is the quiet and serious one, who spends most of her time in the windows watching what’s going on, and yelling at the birds (she does that chittering thing, which is cute but in the wild I think that might get in the way of her hunting). She’s very prey-focused, though, and she will “stalk” the birds around the house constantly. Adora is, well, my lover girl. She’s kinda dumb, but very sweet and never seems happier than when she’s curled up on my lap. Teasing and attacking her sister is a close second, though.

Howard Bannister

@Gillian:

Coffee for the win.

I’ve had my four cups. I’m ready to be productive.

Falconer

Oh yeah. There’s such a thing as coffee.

My world has become a fuzzy haze of bed-thoughts and diapers and paperwork.

Maybe I ought to start drinking coffee.

freemage
freemage

I’ve been grooving on Erfworld for awhile now, but yeah, this latest strip… Ow.

And at the same time as OotS new plot twist with Durkon?

Sci-fi: I’ve found two major axes (axises?) to judge sci-fi on:

Hard/Soft:

At one end, you’ve got stuff that’s arguably ‘just around the corner’. No violations of the deeper scientific laws (such as Thermodynamics and Relativity). Take current technology, and extrapolate. This isn’t as limiting as it might seem–fully functional AI, absolute genetic control–there’s a lot that can be done and explored within this framework.

At the other end of this, you’ve got sci-fantasy and space opera, where the trappings are changed, but have as much to do with science as Sauron’s Ring. This doesn’t make it bad, but it does mean you’ve moved beyond the point of having a story be about the science (and its ramifications) and on to stories about people (which, duh, is fine and dandy).

In-between, you get the ‘single break’ rule–where the fundamentals of science can be violated ONCE in the process of world-building. So you want FTL travel? Okay. Or you can have zero-point energy. Or time-travel. Or one other technology that current science tells us just can’t work. But then you stop and keep everything else within the bounds of hard sci-fi. This creates some really powerful speculative fiction, but it’s easy to break the rule and not even realize it, and thereby undermine your story’s ‘point’.

The other axis is Technophobic/Technophilic:

Technophobic Sci-fi assumes that technology always brings disaster and suffering. At best, human nature overcomes it; at worst, everyone dies. Dresden Codak’s “Cave-Man Science Fiction” is the best critique of this approach.

Technophilic Sci-fi, of course, tends to assume that no scientific advancement can ever be a bad thing, and it’s almost always a huge positive for society–at worst, some technologies need to be held off for a bit while we get ready to handle them. Star Trek takes this view.

Gillian

@Howard Bannister Maybe this is OT, maybe it’s just maudlin, but I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you. A firefighter saved my life once. I was 9 or 10 and we had a fire that started because the chimney wasn’t as clean as it should have been and there were some sparks. The fire alarms went off and everyone got out and was standing on the lawn except for me, because the chimney wasn’t as clean as it should have been and there seems to have also been some carbon monoxide or smoke and I’d been allowed to sleep on the couch because I’d been home sick for the past day or two. I remember lying on the couch and dozing off when everyone went to the kitchen for dinner and then the next thing I know I was on the grass in the front yard with someone holding an oxygen mask to my face. I can still remember someone saying, “It’s okay, she’s coming around.” and then keeping me occupied while we waited for the ambulance so that I didn’t try to push the mask off.

So now, whenever I meet a firefighter, I tend to embarrass everyone by thanking them and making everyone have to listen to that story.

This past election cycle made me inarticulate with rage whenever I heard the ‘OMG cops and firefighters with their pensions and their retirement at 55’ meme, because I always wanted to beat them with the nearest heavy, preferably nail studded object and scream, “Do you not understand that these are the people who know exactly, precisely what the worst that can happen is and they run INTO the source of the danger anyway?!?!”

Urgh…

doomkitt3n

@kitteh I don’t have any pics uploaded at the moment, but I will be sure to share as soon as I do. Nubby is the handsomest cat, he is an orange tabby and his eye colour is the same as his light stripe
As per the e fiction discussion, as I understand it hard science fiction deals with the hard sciences (physics chem math etc) and soft science fiction deals with the ‘soft’ sciences (;sociolosgy psychology etc) I’mnot sure if those categories have even been relevant for a long time. I like the term speculative fiction because it encompasses all of the many variationsscscifi fantasy magic realismi;

doomkitt3n

Wow, wordpress on my phone is terrible. It kept randomly changing wherte I type and adding words :/

Gillian

@freemage Nice breakdown. I like the focus on the rules, because for me that is always where the books I read (and I read a lot so I often pick up things that are marginal just to give them a try and to not be bored (I live in mortal terror of boredom #onlyslightlyhyberbolic). I’ll go with someone pretty far, even if they break pretty fundamental rules of reality, so long as the break happens at the event horizon of the story. I’ll accept zero point energy, or time travel, or somesuch to get into a story, but once I am there the world has to have internally consistent rules. When a book, or a movie, or a tv show breaks the internal rules with no logically consistent explanation for why it isn’t just “in the script” I tend to lose my patience.

Howard Bannister

For Nanowrimo I wrote a fantasy novel with a series of ascending twists where things get weird–y’know, if there’s wizards, WHY CAN’T THEY TIMETRAVEL levels of weird.

Trying to put in enough up-front lead-in that this didn’t feel like cheating without totally giving it away was HARD, y’all.

Howard Bannister

@Gillian: thanks. It’s nice to be remembered.

And, yeah, about the time Mitt Romney started on firefighters… well.

This past election cycle made me inarticulate with rage whenever I heard the ‘OMG cops and firefighters with their pensions and their retirement at 55′ meme, because I always wanted to beat them with the nearest heavy, preferably nail studded object and scream, “Do you not understand that these are the people who know exactly, precisely what the worst that can happen is and they run INTO the source of the danger anyway?!?!”

Can I borrow that heavy object when you’re done with it? 😀

Gillian

I’ve been scribbling and scratching and doing research and making notecards for the last year on a novel that is rapidly approaching critical mass: that point at which it’s so close to assembled that it has developed a gravity field which will lock me into orbit around my laptop until it is written…

Maybe.

Gillian

Okay, speaking of writing, I’ve got some to get done today. (Ugh how I LOATHE the first draft). So I leave you with this bit of spring inspired joy!

Cows going back out to pasture after a winter in the barn!

(that bit at 0:10, I swear my cats do that on the carpet all the time! Among other, less desirable things)

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2tWu1Xkzc&w=560&h=315]

pecunium

Argenti: Pecunium — I know I said this last time I heard that story, but seriously, that’s some fucked up shit. Even accounting for racism I can’t work out the cop “logic” — I live with fucking conservatives and I can’t figure out wtf they were thinking.

I think it was a combination of disgust (he assumed I was bi-racial) and “Oh, there’s nothing to do, ‘those people’ just prey on each other/have no power’.

This was in a town which was moving from late early ’70s transistions (it was known as, “Billy Goat Acres” from the Okies who settled in the latter 30s). Prior to the War it was largely truck farms owned by Japanese: the Interment killed that, and made it pretty much white.

Come the early ’70s it became a first stop for Mexican immigrants, and the white population left/was displaced. Blacks were never much of a presence (the most recent census has all of 377 African Americans [the black population was in Compton, and that was colloquially known as, “Dogpatch” until the early ’70s: which is where my stepfather was from] in a population of 42,000. BY way of comparison, there are 40 same sex married/domestic partnerships in the town).

Compton was seen as a lawless place, and the cops in Bell Gardens (an independent municipality inside the City of Los Angeles, amidst a cluster of other small towns inside a big city) were all white, and I don’t think more than half a dozen were newer hires than 1975. They didn’t really like what they thought they saw. We also lived in the edge of town which was still mostly white.

This was about 1981-82. No one had been shot, in my part of town, in about three years, but it’s where I learned what gunfire sounded like. I recall a scout meeting which was interupted by a ‘thunk, rattle, spush’ as something hit the roof and rolled into the flower bed. It was a spent slug, .38/.357.

It’s where I got my sense of situtational awareness; and learned boxing, judo and street fighting. When I did the, “cholo-walk” in later years my knife fighting instructor was gobsmacked; because, apart from the fact that I am white, with red hair; and wasn’t wearing the right clothes, I was spot perfect, and it made him nervous.

So they saw a black guy, and assumed (I think) we were importing the criminal aspects they thought Compton had (and Compton did have crime) so they wrote it off as unsolvable (probably true, regardless) and not worth solving (not true). Stupidity like that is what entrenches the lawless, but I digress.

The world was different then. Thank goodness it’s getting better.

Molly Moon
Molly Moon

Re: sci fi

I like to go the Neal Stephenson route (see this video, iirc)and just put sci fi, fantasy, and historical fiction under the speculative fiction umbrella. Fewer fine lines to worry about!

Someone said something about hard vs soft sci fi being about hard science vs soft science. I don’t think that’s the way the terminology is used, but GOSH would I like to see more sf based in soft sciences! Hard science is great and all, but it ain’t really my thing.

Re:Dresden Codak

Squeeee!!!! He’s (one of) the closest things I have to a celebrity crush, even if I don’t really know what he looks like, and he’s not really a celebrity, and he only updates when the planets align.

(My other celebrity crush is Neal Stephenson)

pecunium

Hard SF is used to mean, “I’m going to start with known state of the Art on Tech/Astronomy”

Soft means, “I’m going to have “techy-stuff”.

In a series (say Star Trek) the line seems to be, “We are going to have consistent limits to the tech”, vs. “Tech will be the Deus ex Machina we lean on to get out of plots we put into bad places”.

I care more about a series being “hard’ than I do a book.

Gillian

Yeah, I remember reading something once breaking down the different Star Trek series by how they dealt with the availability of the transporter. Because once you have such a technology, you have to constantly be explaining to your audience why you can’t use it. I think Next Gen had accidents, Voyager had malfunctions and occasional weather conditions which wouldn’t permit transport, DS9 had technomumblty shielding systems and often lots of rock, Enterprise of course got in when the transporter was still new technology and was used only in extreme emergency situations (until the writers got lazy after the first season and started treating it pretty much like the rest of them).

Wish I could remember where that was (alas the Google is not strong with me today, heehee) because it was way funnier than the crummy summary I just gave it.

Falconer

@Pecunium: I’ve read you tell that story before, and I don’t think I’ve ever said what awful people those cops were.

My childhood was rural; we couldn’t see our neighbor from our door, but only for the tobacco barn. I learned what a .22 rifle sounds like, and an air gun, when they are fired and when their bullet/pellet hits a target. I learned not to horse around with tractors and mowers, and developed a big fear of dog packs. My dad needed stitches after some structural rod in the bush mower fell into the spinning blades and got thrown every which way, including across the outer edge of his upper arm. I’ve never had to learn how to defend myself in hand to hand, which might be why I’m so blase about pretending to be some badass at the game table.

I never had to learn to fear cops. Even today, all I really worry about is getting pulled over.

I grew up with black kids in grade school, but few other groups. Hell, I don’t think anybody in my school ever identified as not-straight. If there was anybody who was not Christian, they kept their mouths shut, for the most part (I was pretty loud about it, myself; I think I know of a classmate who’s Jewish). In the early 90s, there was a small white flight from the city school I went to, to the county school.

I am also grateful that the world is getting better.

@Molly Moon: I really appreciate the art and the design on Dresden Codak. It’s accomplished and creative. But I don’t like the story, and I think it’s largely because of the way transhumanism plays into it. For some reason the idea that Kim is going to be some immortal god-mother to the human race doesn’t appeal.

Argenti Aertheri

Re: erfworld —

Howard, they switched to text during the week, comic on weekends towards the end of the summer.

Falconer, I kinda fell all brainiac for Jack. And thus stuck with it.

Freemage, he has the little X’s and everything! I have a hopeful theory though …

Bar bs gur puva’f tbg qrpelcgrq ohg gura ghearq onpx gb Wrgfgbar, tenagrq, ur qvqa’g ynfg ybat nsgre. Ohg znlor, whfg znlor, Jnaqn pna qrpelcg Wnpx ohg uvf yblnygl gb Cnefba jvyy unir uvz ghea onpx.

Be V’z fgvyy va qravny gung gurl’q ernyyl xvyy zl snibevgr znq unggre (lrf lrf, sbbynznapre, V xabj, ohg gung crefbanyvgl, gung ung = znq unggre). V unm n fnq!

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — fuck, I live right on the um, suburb-New Haven border (I don’t really want to publicize my location that much, and you know already anyways) — I mean, I’m a stone’s throw from non-who neighborhoods, my brother went to tech school and was one of a handful of white kids. I guess I’m more surprised that they just walked out because around here, your stepfather would’ve gotten the third degree. The “you must have criminal ties” seems to override the “fuck those people, I don’t care”. How sad is it that I’m surprised that they weren’t more racist?

As for my school, well, I was the president of the gay-straight alliance — two of the people I was in GSA with are trans* men (and then there’s me who actually managed to look androgynous at 17 *sigh*). We had a fair number of openly non-Christian students, including, unfortunately, a couple very nice Muslims who got shit after 9/11 (note, I say very nice here because I rode the bus with a brother and sister who’re Muslim, he kept to himself, she was a social butterfly…and then 9/11 happened…) Edge of a major city we had all sorts of races and ethnicities. I’m just not used to it being a big deal, the bigots were notable assholes, not the popular kids. Hell, some of the most popular theatre stars were gay.

Liberal New England! So yeah, cops are getting more ass, but general society? Yeah, we’re improving…

Molly Moon
Molly Moon

Oh yeah, if you have problems with transhumanism it is not the comic for you 😀 but as a teenager I was into that sort of thing, and I still like the idea even if it’s totally impractical and problematic. So it is definitely a ymmv situation.

Like with cell phones in mysteries and noir! (I’m specifically thinking of Pineapple Express here, not sure if it happens in other modern mysteries)

(also my autocorrect apparently knows that Pineapple Express is a proper noun. But not enter the dragon? Or grandmas boy or fear and loathing in Las Vegas or get him to the Greek or the royal tennenbaums or citizen Kane or sour diesel or grand daddy purp… Just Pineapple Express. I have never written Pineapple Express on this phone before now. It’s fine leaving pineapple and express uncapitalused but not when you put them together! It also auto corrected “uncapitalized” to uncapitalused, which I was not aware was a word.

This has been your daily exploration of autocorrect quirks.)

freemage
freemage

Gillian: My personal rule for judging sci-fi is, “Are the people still people?”*

If I can’t relate to the society that’s portrayed arising from the tech changes, then all the golly-gee-whiz in the world isn’t gonna carry me through the story.

*****
From this point on, it’s a rant. Feel free to skip.

For instance, the graphic novel, Surrogates, on which was based the Bruce Willis movie (which I haven’t seen), was full of fail for me, because while I liked the idea (we develop remote-control robo-bodies), the cultural impact just was too damned implausible.

I had no problem with the notion that almost everyone who had a “surrie” had a ‘work model’ that was a white male (especially if they were a corporate executive)–I’m fully aware of how the patriarchy would make that advantageous. But with the sheer number of them (something like 90% of all people have a surrie), the notion that most folks wouldn’t have two or three (to have that kind of market-penetration, your pricing is going to be somewhere in the range of home computers to cheap cars), and these alternate models are gonna be all over the place. You’d see people walking around looking like the aliens from Avatar, and others looking like the aliens from Alien. You’re going to have models with heavy tattoo/piercing. You’ll get a lot of folks going the trans-racial, trans-gender route, pretty much for fetishistic purposes (this is barely touched on in the graphic novel).

And sure, there’s a reasonable conclusion to that people would be desensitized to violence, but there’s also a lot of probability that they’d be desensitized to danger–I could see someone offering the use of cheap surries for people who wanted to jump off a building, or set themselves on fire, or whatever.

And then, when the police and firefighters and paramedics all go bye-bye because they were septugenarians using surries, there’s virtually no civil unrest–everyone just becomes a bunch of sweeties who care about their neighbors again.

@yoyo

Marie, thank you for your good thoughts. This has been a wild and wacky thread but that’s one of its best qualities.

@CL

thanks for the more chiropratcer info 🙂 I admit, I have a negative reaction rating towards physical therapists because my sister always talks about hers being bad, and the one I tried for my back was reeeaaaallly condescending and didn’t listen to anything I said about my body >:(

re:chiropracters: I think I actually have met one who did all of that ‘it can cure anything stuff’ Kind of OT-ish, but I was having a hard time remembering b/c I only saw her once 😛 wasn’t going back there again.

@joanimal

Ok, since there was a vid of two guys kissing, I offer a pic of two women kissing

*squees* that pic is adorable!

@bigmomma

Nope, I finally saw his comment 🙂 Just had to sleep.

@Marie, I’ll ask him re chiro when he’s not rushing back out door.

Okay 🙂 You don’t have to if you don’t want to (obviously) but if you do, I await your response 😀

@KathleenB

Sorry to hear about your pain 🙁 Internet hugs if you want. I hope you feel better soon. Sadly I don’t have any tips though.

@howardbann1ster

Well, it is a loving snark on both FMA and Dr Who–any show that insists it is SCIENCE fiction when the science has suddenly turned into a transparent excuse for the plot. A science fiction plot drops into the fantastical when your paradox just, WHOOOOOOPS, didn’t happen in the first place.

I snark those too 😉 Though I haven’t seen dr who, so I can’t say for that show.

re: the rest of sci-fi

yeah, I’m pretty bad at science, so um…I kind of didn’t follow that conversation much 😉 doesn’t help that it’s morning and I have a headache

@gillian

Sorry to hear about your bad mood. 🙁 Internet hugs if you want.

@howardbann1ster

Coffee for the win.

I’ve had my four cups. I’m ready to be productive.

O_O that’s a lot of coffee.

Howard Bannister

….there’s a story in Dresden Codak?

(sorry, the style of it makes my brain hurt–I could never read more than one strip at a time, and rarely managed to enjoy doing it)

Hey, science fiction and webcomics–how about that Spacetrawler?

Howard Bannister

I cut back to those four cups of coffee.

And now I’ve had to cut down from the six cans of soda I’d follow it up with in the afternoon.

Falconer

Whoa man, that Spacetrawler punched me right in the gut with the big twist.

Howard Bannister

I know, right?

And then character arcs! Every single character arc!

SO MUCH SPOILERS ALL OVER THE PLACE CLIMBING IN YOUR SHIP AND EATING YOUR BRAIN AND BEING CUTE AND GIGGLING AAAAAAAAAA

Argenti Aertheri

“But I have a friend who drinks a whole pot of coffee to start his morning, so I don’t feel like I have a problem.”

I’m most of the way through my first French press of the day, there will be another one later…ok, maledict it is…

Howard Bannister

😀

Marie

I don’t know how you guys can handle all that caffeine O_o Most coffee I can have a day is 2, maybe three cups (normally just 1) More for soda. 3-4. Anyways, I thought I drank a lot of caffeine XD Caffeine buddies?

freemage
freemage

Howard: It started as a bunch of one-offs, of varying styles. Then he latched onto the Kimiko Ross character, who had a few early one-shots of her own, which then grew into the basis of the ongoing plotline, starting with HOB. And it’s not for everyone, but I adore it.

And I just want to add that the women sailor kissing photo is one of my favorites of the last few years–so much power in such a simple image. This is the other:

@freemage

That’s a totally awesome picture. 🙂

Gillian

Okay, am I the only person who wished that the artist had taken off Lady Justice’s blindfold? I mean, I know that it’s Justice and all, but I just think I’d like the image even more if she’d dropped her sword, and had her other arm wrapped around Liberty, with her blindfold dangling from her fingers.

Just me most likely… 😉

@gillian

No, not that you mention it, that sounds better 😀

great, now I’m getting the desire to draw some lady justice and lady liberty shipping. What you guys make me do….;)

pecunium

Argenti: I suspect they weren’t quite as bad as they might have been because it was to be assumed my mother was white. There was also the question of just what the owner of the property (we had a “mother in law” in the back) might have done/said. They, of course, had no way to know he was a different step-father of mine (my mother’s second husband… my life has always seemed normal to me, but others say it’s sort of complicated). I was in Cleveland before I moved to Bell Gardens, and it was always a mixed black/white community/school I was in, so this was sort of strange to me.

Falconer: I learned what a .22 sounds like when I was still in Ohio. I learned to shoot at 5. The real difference is learing the difference between incoming, and outgoing, and the intermediate done of “not coming my way”. I didn’t really get those until I was in the Army. The really strange thing to try to explain is the comforting sound of random gunfire aimed at nothing; or the mental easing of, “outbound M-16, and far away: not my problem” before driftig back to sleep when one is awakened to unexpected gunfire.

I hear you on the “badass at the table” thing. I was always more restrained in starting fights when I was playing D&D than my fellows were. I never really associated it with being more aware of how that sort of thing works (I’d moved to a white flight suburb by my middle teens). The local “toughs” always amused me more than scared me.

re Coffee: I am SO glad I don’t seem to have an addictive personality. When I was machining I might drink 2-3 pots a shift. On the weekends I didn’t really drink any (unless I went out to eat). Then one week I stopped. I didn’t drink any from the time we left Kuwait until I got to Landstuhl (taster’s choice isn’t coffee). These days I can’t really drink anything but turkish/espresso without my guts being chewed up. I do miss the friend of mine with whom I lived from 2005-2008; we’d fire up a couple of pots a day ans shoot the breeze. When he went on dialysis that stopped. Ave atque vale, amicus

Argenti Aertheri

Ok, I love both those images. Fuck the really rapey WWII picture (FFS it’s obvious he just grabbed her), those two women should be that famous kiss, not the WWII one. And the Statue of Liberty kissing lady liberty is, well, one of those “why’d no one think of that sooner?” things.

pecunium

I think the problem I have with the Lady Liberty/Justice photo is that the blindfolded half of the pair is the one being dipped.

Falconer

WARL WARL WARL

Argenti Aertheri

“…others say it’s sort of complicated”

Including me! I’m sure we’ve had that convesation before! That aside, yeah, I can see how them having been already attempting to help a white woman might lessen the racism some. Assuming they didn’t have a fit about racial mixing *bangs head on wall* Maybe I’m just too steeped in the racism from my family.

And yeah, I’d prefer the dippee not be blindfolded, but it still looks more consensual than that (actual photograph) WWII one. But blindfolds don’t automatically trigger “not possibly consented to” in my brain, since people do consent to blindfolds as sexytime play. …I’m over thinking it.

pecunium

Argenti: It’s worse than that. It was always known he just grabbed her; it was presented as, “spontaneous”. What came out last year is that he was working the crowd; apparently trying to be photographed.

He apparently grabbed/kissed several women, and when the photo was taken he stopped.

Creepy x 10.

@Argenti Absolutely!

@pencuncium

O_O ew. My dislike for this guy keeps growing….

Falconer

(FFS it’s obvious he just grabbed her)

Yeah, when I really looked at that picture, it became obvious his arm is holding her head in place.

Didn’t some genius have the bright idea of getting those two back together for an anniversary reenactment?

@Pecunium: Come to think of it, I don’t play macho jackasses who try to start stuff at the gaming table, but I am blase about the amount of violence my characters are capable of. Just in the last year I’ve played a D&D cleric focused on buffing and blasting rather than healing, and a gangster armed with a Thompson who was seriously considering using it on some dock thugs trying to boost our supplies by intimidation (I decided it wasn’t the right time; in the next scene they came after us with a Maxim on a boat and it was definitely time).

And about assessing gunshots: I’m sure that GIs in WWII got to be experts at discerning what was harassment shelling and when a big barrage was coming. Tell the truth, I’m very glad being able to tell what weapons fire I have to worry about is not in my skill set.

@falconer

O_O… gah.

I can’t really contribute much to this conversation except disgust. 🙁