advocacy of violence hundreds of upvotes men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA rape rape culture reddit threats victim blaming

Raw Story on The Top 5 Rape-Apologist Reactions to the Steubenville Verdicts [UPDATED]

rape_culture

RawStory has a piece up highlighting The top 5 rape apologist reactions to the Steubenville rape verdict. It’s well worth reading. As the author of the piece, Emily Mullen, notes:

The Steubenville guilty verdict spawned nearly as much rape apology as the original news of the case did, highlighting the point — made by feminists like Zerlina Maxwell and Jaclyn Friedman — that America has a long way to go before it gets past blaming victims and sympathizing with rapists.

I haven’t yet run across any reactions in the Manosphere to the verdicts, but I’m sure we’ll see some in the next few days. If you run across anything especially awful, in the Manosphere or outside of it, please let me know.

Men’s Rights Redditors, currently silent about the verdicts, were up in arms the other day because Reuters was identifying the accused — now the convicted — rapists, while not identifying the victim. Or, as MRAs prefer to put it, the “alleged victim.” Now, as RawStory points out, she is getting death threats.

EDITED TO ADD: More victim blaming online, as catalogued on the Public Shaming blog: First post, second post with more.

Below,  Several examples borrowed from Public Shaming. TRIGGER WARNING for rape apology.

tumblr_inline_mjttyzPbYu1qawfnhtumblr_inline_mjtu0gSYbN1qawfnhtumblr_inline_mjtcwiT2Pn1qawfnh

Roosh the Douche
Roosh the Douche

Was wondering when this was going to hit.

Baroncognito

I really hope that what those two men did isn’t “what most people in their situation would have done.”

augochlorella
augochlorella

“Be responsible for your actions ladies before your drunken decisions ruin innocent lives.”

If the rapists were innocent, they wouldn’t have raped her. Then the rapists wouldn’t have ruined their own lives. There, problem solved. No need to blame the victim at all.

Orion

Against my better judgment, I clicked the Roosh link. I was pleasantly surprised to find that nearly 50% of the posters recognize that rape is a crime. So… gold star? Fuck everything.

emilygoddess

The first screenshot is basically “all men are rapists”, which I know is a major MRA bugaboo, and the rest are assuming men are animals who can’t be expected to behave, or weak little victims who can’t handle the consequences of their actions. I expect the manosphere will be calling out this blatant misandry at any moment!

hellkell
hellkell

Fuck all those people on twitter, and double fuck any MRA who whines about this. Their lives were ruined? Boo-hoo, they were convicted.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

“Calloused attitudes”?

Nothing after their total tail at human decency, but another fail anyway.

Gillian
Gillian

Their lives are ruined? They should watch where they stick their things uninvited. End of story. This stuff makes me want to vomit.

princessbonbon

No one made them treat her that way. They decided that is what they wanted to do. So now they have to be held to account for their actions and it means that they have criminal records. Boo frickin’ hoo.

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

Three years seems about right.

But shouldn’t digital penetration be called molestation, and not rape?

princessbonbon

Go to hell Diogenes.

hellkell
hellkell

Shut up, Diogenes. Not here in this thread. Your bullshit goalpost dance and semantic fuckery ARE NOT WELCOME.

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

Very mature replies.

Thank you for your contributions princessbonbon, and hellkell.

Fade
Fade

Diogenes, no one wants to here you nitpick semantics on sexual assault.

It’s trivializing and fucking AWFUL.

Baroncognito

Well, hello tone trolling.

That’s a bit boring though.

hellkell
hellkell

Get bent, you complete toad. You think anyone wants you in this thread, of all threads? It’s really not a place for your trollish asswipe behavior.

You’re welcome, fucknut.

Marie
Marie

God, those people fucking suck. I especially like (read: hate) the guy who said they did what any guy would have done. Guess we should just lock up all the men in prison so they don’t go around raping people.

Diogenes, how about you only stink up one thread at a time.

Fade
Fade

@ Marie (yes, addressing my sis b/c she brings up good point. ;P)

Yeah, I am incredibly confused as to how men who’s first reaction to rape is WELL, IT’S A NORMAL MAN THING TO DO think that the sensible thing to do is lock up women so they don’t go around tempting men, not lock up the people who COMMIT CRIMES.

Marie
Marie

@diogenes

But shouldn’t digital penetration be called molestation, and not rape?

it’s rape, you apologetic asshat. Go pet a cactus*

*my new default insult. I like it better than step on legos.

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

@fade

You mean hear, not here.

Fade
Fade

*dies laughing*

I love how on no one wants to hear you nitpicking, you instantly decide to nitpick.

The point still stands. It is fucking trivializing and awful. (nitpicking rape, I don’t care if you nitpick my spelling)

hellkell
hellkell

Hey Diogenes: stop trying to correct people. No one here needs or wants your “help.”

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

@hellkell

Stop shitposting.

princessbonbon

Be glad I did not post what I first wanted to say Diogenes and continue to go to hell.

Marie
Marie

@diogenes

gonna respond to what anyone said to your dumbass claims on the other thread?

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

@Marie

When I want…

reginaldgriswold
reginaldgriswold

Even in progressive circles, the conversation around this case is so gross. People obsequiously deny that they’re victim blaming … then follow it up by beseeching young women not to drink too much.

Fade
Fade

^Ikr (at regnaldgriswold). There’s a thread on it in the writers board I frequent, which is normally cool with sexism/transphobia/racism stuff, and while no one was directly victim blaming, it made me feel as uncomfortable as hell reading it.

Marie
Marie

@diogenes

Why not now? Unless you really need to think that long before attempting to come up with an argument, but being the intellectual you are, you should have no problem telling us why we all should do piv.

Roosh the Douche
Roosh the Douche

@Diogenes

Baroncognito

Yes. While it is important to encourage responsible drinking, this is not the context in which to discuss it.

Marie
Marie

Thanks for moderating him so he didn’t cloud up this thread, David 🙂

hellkell
hellkell

HAHAHA, I’m shitposting. That’s rich coming from him.

Thanks, Dave.

cloudiah

That first screenshot makes me despair for humanity. I thought feminists were the ones who hated men…

And DtC calling hellkell — of all people — a shitposter. The lack of self-awareness is strong with this one.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Or indeed the self aware trollness. I’mma stop giving him the attention now.

So, um, a post with some relevance to the thread.

FUCKING HELL, people, is it THAT FUCKING DIFFICULT TO NOT RAPE PEOPLE?

Brian
Brian

Was incredibly surprised that most of the posters on the Roosh forum were actually condemning these two shitstains for what they did.

Did not expect that.

ArchaeoHolmes
ArchaeoHolmes

@MorkaisChosen

“FUCKING HELL, people, is it THAT FUCKING DIFFICULT TO NOT RAPE PEOPLE?”

Spot on

cloudiah

A friend told me that the young woman’s mother made a really good, strong public statement after the verdict, but she didn’t have a link and I am afraid to venture out into the Internet. Anyone have it? Was it good?

quantumscale
quantumscale

Oh my god those tweets are horrible. How is any of that acceptable to say?

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

@ArchaeoHolmes And yet people don’t seem to agree. Apparently it’s what anyone would’ve done. I’d… like to think that is not the case, and am fairly sure I’m right to think so.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Love your kitty avatar, quantumscale.

fearlessfear
fearlessfear

Briefly delurking to share a great piece by Roxane Gay about this: http://roxanegay.tumblr.com/post/45636644308/what-empathy-is

ArchaeoHolmes
ArchaeoHolmes

@MorkaisChosen
I think decent people agree with you.

quantumscale
quantumscale

Yay, I is kitty! Yours is adorable.

lumi
lumi

This whole thing is so disgusting. It’s great that the judge came to the correct verdict (and as one who thinks that minors shouldn’t be tried as adults, it’d be hypocritical of me to complain about the short sentences), but the media reaction is sickening. Boo hoo, boys committed a crime and have to deal with the consequences.

Although, I was pleasantly surprised by the comments on the gawker article Dave tweeted.

TheCatFromOuterSpace
TheCatFromOuterSpace

…Mays and Richmond, they did what most people in their situation would have done.

And this, right here, is why we can’t have nice things.

I’ve got fond memories of an attractive female friend of mine getting absolutely plastered at a post-show celebration. At the time I was 19, desperate, dateless and filled to the brim with hormones and silly juice.

You know what I did?

Together with another friend, we walked her home, dropped her off to her flatmate and made sure she was ok.

We didn’t do this because we were special snowflakes. We don’t deserve medals. We did it because it’s kinda the minimum in terms of basic human decency. I would have done the same thing for another friend, regardless of gender or their sexual attractiveness to me, much like I’d make sure a friend who fell over and hurt themselves got home safely. It’s the right thing to do.

We didn’t rape her. The thought never crossed my mind. Most people wouldn’t rape a woman in a similar situation. The thought would never have crossed MOST people’s minds. To excuse the crimes of Mays and Richmond as a “boys will be boys, everyone’s doin’ it” kinda crap speaks very poorly of certain segments of society.

Colin
Colin

Yes, it’s terrible when a woman gets drunk and then decides to force some poor innocent into ruining his own life by viciously passing out in his general vicinity.

lumi
lumi

I’m a woman who had many “fun” misadventures in my misspent youth, most of them involving intoxicants. I have passed out next to male friends more times than I care to remember, which generally meant fighting over blankets all night.. The only time anyone tried to rape me (a brother of a friend of mine, when I was asleep on the couch), I fought him off and when I woke up more sober, walked into his room and broke his nose. Of course, his mom blamed me, but my friend took my side.

Because decent people don’t take advantage, they help their friends when they (accidentally or on purpose) get trashed. I mean, it took years for my husband to be OK with the idea that me initiating sex when I’m drunk makes it actually fine for him to go on with it.

lumi
lumi

Addendum/clarification: in my particular marital relationship, it is accepted that drunken consent is actual consent (on both sides). Other relationships function by other rules, and I am in no way attempting to prescribe behavior.

1 2 3 4