feminism misogyny woman's suffrage

Should men be allowed to vote?

alicemiller1915

Mocking misogyny: It’s not just for the present day. Here, from 1915, a pointed parody of misogynistic anti-Suffrage arguments by writer/poet Alice Duer Miller. (Note to extremely literal-minded MRAs: She was not actually advocating that men have the vote taken away from them. Nor are we.)

You can find many more examples of Miller’s sharp wit in her 1915 collection Are Women People? The whole thing is available online and in various ebook formats on Project Gutenberg.

Graphic via Roqayah Chamseddine (@iRevolt on Twitter).

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

She is one of my favorites!

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

I think my favorite is

“I have never felt the need of the ballot.”—Cleopatra.

pillow in hell
pillow in hell

And her writings are proof positive that MRAs and misogynists in general need to either shut up or develop new material. The fact that they keep using the same tired and threadbare arguments against women is pathetic.

That some folks STILL think this way a hundred years later makes me wonder if there will always be a portion of the human race thinking this way.

La Strega

Thanks for finding this David. I was not familiar with her.

melody

@Pillow the sad thing is women haven’t had the vote for a 100 years yet and we are still arguing.

hellkell
hellkell

#5 is definitely the MRAs. Such a bunch of hothouse flowers.

hellkell
hellkell

cloudiah, I didn’t see that. Fuck that guy in ear.

hellkell
hellkell

In ear? Brz must be rubbing off on me. Jesus.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’d bet he’s a racist as well as misogynist, with that bit about Obama never having been President without the women’s vote. Somehow I dont think it’s really economics that he’s pissed off about there.

Walk on Legos forever, loser.

cloudiah

We need to do a Brz exorcism for hellkell, STAT!

Meanwhile, here’s a funny blast from the past from the Valentine’s Day 2012 post:

cloudiah

That should say “from the comments on the Valentine’s Day 2012 post.” Maybe I need an exorcism as well.

hellkell
hellkell

The power of words compels us!

eli
eli

I’m finding Miller’s Are Women People? to be a great read, but also an utterly demoralizing one. I give up.

Seriously. I’m only half through, but just about everything she says could still be said today and be valid. 100 years, and although the legal standing of women has certainly improved, it’s the damn attitudes. Ok, I’m not able to make sense. Nevermind.

Between this and that fucking albatross video, I may have to take a long break from the internet.

cloudiah

I wish Alice Duer Miller were still alive and commenting here.

Why We Oppose Pockets for Women

1. Because pockets are not a natural right.

2. Because the great majority of women do not want pockets. If they did they would have them.

3. Because whenever women have had pockets they have not used them.

4. Because women are required to carry enough things as it is, without the additional burden of pockets.

5. Because it would make dissension between husband and wife as to whose pockets were to be filled.

6. Because it would destroy man’s chivalry toward woman, if he did not have to carry all her things in his pockets.

7. Because men are men, and women are women. We must not fly in the face of nature.

8. Because pockets have been used by men to carry tobacco, pipes, whiskey flasks, chewing gum and compromising letters. We see no reason to suppose that women would use them more wisely.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

cloudiah, just read your post a couple of minutes ago via my blogroll. 🙂 The idiot who coined that phrase definitely needs a Real Doll. Can you imagine how badly he’d do if sexbots were around?

=> ENTER PASSWORD

=> hubsand

=>INCORRECT PASSWORD

=>STANDARD VAGINAL ACCESS DENIED

cloudiah

Another good one:

The Gallant Sex

(A woman engineer has been dismissed by the Board of Education, under their new rule that women shall not attend high pressure boilers, although her work has been satisfactory and she holds a license to attend such boilers from the Police Department.)

Lady, dangers lurk in boilers,
Risks I could not let you face.
Men were meant to be the toilers,
Home, you know, is woman’s place.
Have no home? Well, is that so?
Still, it’s not my fault, you know.

Charming lady, work no more;
Fair you are and sweet as honey;
Work might make your fingers sore,
And, besides, I need the money.
Prithee rest,—or starve or rob—
Only let me have your job!

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@cloudiah

That would be awesome. I love her snark so much!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I wonder if she ever reads over our shoulders? 😉

cloudiah

Kittehs’, you would be the most likely to know! 😉

cloudiah

eli, Sorry you’re feeling demoralized. Internet hugs if you want ’em. Sometimes mockery helps, but if not, internet breaks are not always a bad thing.

drst
drst

*braces for trolling*

This post is going to send at least one of our regular trolls around the twist, I expect.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

“Kittehs’, you would be the most likely to know!”

LOL!

“This post is going to send at least one of our regular trolls [further] around the twist, I expect.”

FTFY 😉

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Forgot to add – imagine if Slavey was still posting. Gods, the frothing rage and complete incomprehension of satire would be quite a treat.

Well, a masochistic sort of treat, anyways.

cloudiah

Yeah, Owly couldn’t even handle musical theater:

He’s still over on r/mensrights, being his old self. He said something recently about violence against women not being a thing because in his whole life he’d never seen a woman out in public with even a hair out of place. SCIENCE!

Oh yes, I remember the great scandal about Chicago! 😀

I’m mildly surprised they still let him post on r/mensrights. He’s been booted off some pretty extreme sites, iirc.

Last night I read the thread from 2011 where he said outright he thinks men should literally own women. What a pathetic creepy piece of work he is. Perhaps he thinks that because his fantasy of women being beaten on the street doesn’t happen all the time, women are never attacked at all, cos what manly man would do it at home, let alone deliberately hurt her so that the bruises are hidden by her clothing?

Mind you the irony of seeing Mr Al have a go at Owly for derailing and making a thread all about him was priceless.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Love love love the pockets one! And you could pretty much insert any group for “women” there, for their own particular brand of oppression… For example, teh gays certainly don’t need pockets (or at least they don’t need to call them “pockets” and flaunt them in our faces! The bible never said gay people should have pockets!)

Indeed; the only objection he could think of to women being owned is that if the state or a group of dudes owned the women, that would be communism.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

And he fancied that the US is a communist entity where women owned men. Very “lol wut” if it came from anyone but Owly, from whom it was SOP.

It’s all the fault of those feminist Spaniards Russians.

Yoyo
Yoyo

Cloudiah love the poem. I find voxday more disturbing than this guy because he has a horde of sicophants (call themselves the Ilk) so when ever vox says something outrageously rascist or sexist they all nod along.

Anyway it’s a beautiful day, I have a nice glass of Pinot Gris in my nonbat cave and I’m trying to avoid taking my youngest daughter to get piercing number 2.
So Internet hugs to all x

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Some legislator in, I think, Montana has suggested that corporations should have the vote.
When you think about it the only people in the US who have not had their civil rights disputed, discussed, and generally reasoned away, by white male property owners, are white male property owners. Perhaps it is time the rest of us questioned their competence, and spent a few hundred years debating whether or not they deserve full citizenship.

nerdypants
nerdypants

She’s wonderful, I’m going to have to bookmark her stuff.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Since we recently established that “I didn’t read it, but…” is considered a valid argument in the MRM, I fully expect most of them to read the title of the post, skip the content, and start railing against the misandry of even asking the question. I’ll bring popcorn, if anyone wants some (lightly salted, with just a touch of sesame oil).

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

I’m immensely comforted. Clearly Owly has never seen me in public. *sigh of relief*

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Me neither. 🙂

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I have curly hair. “Not a hair out of place” just isn’t a thing that’s possible with curls. If that makes me invisible to people like Slavey then yay, bonus.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Did he just confess that he never leaves the basement?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I have the Hair of Foof and I’m several decades away from being fifteen, so I don’t imagine Slavey would see me, either. Turning invisible as one ages definitely has its benefits.

But of course he leaves the basement! We know he’s a high-flyin’ milk-machine tech who hasn’t the people skills, let alone management skills, to be promoted was cruelly overlooked in favour of a graduate who’d actually learned management pampered princess!

pillow in hell
pillow in hell

What’s this about women and pockets?

I’ve seen some very lovely embroidered, historical pockets for women. They were worn on a ribbon around the waist, over the dress but beneath the apron. They were also rather large, considering that sewing supplies (especially pIns or needles), in addition to whatever else women needed on a reugular basis were carted around too.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Which is essentially where the idea of all pockets came from, isn’t it – bags/purses around the waist developing into bags sewn into the seam of clothes when the style of clothing permitted.
The Academy of Armoury from 1688 has a section on clothes that describes pockets as “little bags let into the side of the Breeches to put or carry any small thing in.”

The “no pockets for women” is satire, though these days it’s more like dumbasses doing the “why do women carry so much/have handbags?” duh-questions.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

We call my dad’s coat his “man purse” sometimes because of the sheer volume of stuff he keeps in the pockets. It’s literally a pound or two heavier than a normal jacket just from wallets and phones and things. Purses and pockets are very handy.

mxe354
mxe354

The New York State Association Opposed to Woman Suffrage is sending out leaflets to its members urging them to “tell every man you meet, your tailor, your postman, your grocer, as well as your dinner partner, that you are opposed to woman suffrage.”

We hope that the 90,000 sewing machine operatives, the 40,000 saleswomen, the 32,000 laundry operatives, the 20,000 knitting and silk mill girls, the 17,000 women janitors and cleaners, the 12,000 cigar-makers, to say nothing of the 700,000 other women and girls in industry in New York State, will remember when they have drawn off their long gloves and tasted their oysters to tell their dinner partners that they are opposed to woman suffrage because they fear it might take women out of the home.

Favorite one by far.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

LOL I can just picture that coat! At least he’d have all the stuff distributed around his body instead of being a dead weight in a backpack, f’rinstance.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

mxe – that one’s brilliant. And it really shows what a fantasy land MRAs are living in, doesn’t it, when they talk as if women only started working outside the home around 1970 or something.

ashley
ashley

wow, Alice Duer Miller is like… the manboobz of 1915. awesome link.

Alex

I remember reading this in my history class in grade 11. 😀

@Cassandrasays,

THIS. Even when it’s “tame”, there’s still still a halo of frizz.

mxe354
mxe354

Chivalry

It’s treating a woman politely
As long as she isn’t a fright:
It’s guarding the girls who act rightly,
If you can be judge of what’s right;
It’s being—not just, but so pleasant;
It’s tipping while wages are low;
It’s making a beautiful present,
And failing to pay what you owe.

From Our Own Nursery Rhymes

“Chivalry, Chivalry, where have you been?”
“I’ve been out seeking a beautiful queen.”
“Chivalry, Chivalry, what did you find?”
“Commonplace women, not much to my mind.”

LOL this is fabulous

It just gets better and better as I scroll down.

She’s a genius!

Alex, nice to see you back on site. 🙂

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Even when there’s no frizz curls are never what you’d call tidy. The tumbling chaos is part of the charm!

Precisely!

I wonder if Owly freaks out at seeing men with long curly hair. Well, long hair at all, but long, curly, dark locks …

::swoons::