antifeminism creepy misogyny MRA the spearhead

Betty Friedan: Communist homewrecker?

Ladies Love Cool Joe (Stalin)
Ladies Love Cool Joe (Stalin)

Last week marked the 50th anniversary of the publication of Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique, which inspired a flood of commemorative essays everywhere from Slate to the New York Times.

It also inspired what I think is one of the most hilariously dumb sentences I’ve ever read on The Spearhead. In a post talking about Friedan’s “youthful Bolshevik activism” – she spent a number of years as a labor journalist – Spearhead head boy W.F. Price offers this assessment of the book that jumpstarted feminism’s second wave:

Although I haven’t read the book, it apparently stresses the need for women to engage in work outside the home, which is a basic Communist tenet.

Yeah, that’s why most women work. Not to pay the bills, but because they are pawns of the worldwide communist conspiracy.

Weirdly, Price is well aware that he’s full of shit here, and that most women throughout history have worked, not because of Communism but because of economic necessity. Indeed, he even points this out in his post. But he follows this acknowledgement with more thoughts on Friedan’s evil commie ways:

[I]t looks as though Betty Friedan was one of the many dedicated Communists who caused so many problems immediately after WWII. I once looked up a list of known Communist front groups in the US, and noticed that quite a few of them were women’s groups. Combined with accounts I’ve read from former Cheka agents, it makes for pretty convincing evidence that feminism was deliberately fostered in the US by Soviet agents. It makes sense to use women in that manner, because authorities are not as suspicious of women, and they can operate under the radar far more easily than men. Women also make excellent spies.

Although I’m sure resurgent feminism would have emerged in one form or another with or without Betty Friedan, it is interesting to note second wave feminism’s Cold War origins in Marxist infiltration of US society. …

It turns out she was little more than a loyal Bolshevik pawn who suddenly stumbled onto success by writing a thinly-veiled Marxist critique of American capitalist society from a woman’s perspective.

In the comments, TheTruthishere enthusiastically agreed with Price’s feminism-was-a-Soviet-plot thesis:

You are right a read the same thing on another site …  feminism was thought up in a russian thinktank to basically destroy the family as the states smallest cell. Basically so communism could be introduced in the western world. Well, it worked, it just took them longer than expected. By the way the Rockafellas are involved in this as well

RockEfellers. Not RockAfellAs. Or even RockAfellERs.

Uncle Elmer gave us this weird socio-sexual fantasy:

Speaking of Freudian, all feminists have a major clit-boner for “1963”, though it was not technically part of the mythic “50s”. Based on their persistent mention of that era, it’s clear they would gladly trade in their Birkenstocks for a chance to be slapped and rogured by Ward Cleaver.

They didn’t call him “The Cleaver” for nothing.

And Towgunner, for some odd reason, used the opportunity to express his disdain for “female” – in quotes – music composers.

I have a lot of classical music as my pandora stations, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, etc. So, guess what gets inter-mixed with the play sets from time to time…yep, the token “female” composer. I’m usually doing something else while listening and this never fails – I always know its a female composer because it, well, is bad music. Also, all of the female composers I’ve heard basically sound the same. All things aside, forget I’m an MRA, it has very little aesthetic value for anyone, except for those who think talent is the same thing as “social justice”. female composers create music that is akin to cold coffee left over from breakfast and now its 2:00 PM. And its not after a few minutes, I can tell a female composer in the first few seconds…that too never fails. Many of them painfully subject their listeners to simple scales and scattered and disagreeable harmonies…kind of like the background music for greys autonomy or any chick flick. Above all, it’s not, even in the slightest, original…frankly female composers are a perfect case study in that you can hear the innate female tendency towards conformity.

By the way, here are some songs by female composers – sorry, “female” composers. I’m not sensing a lot of conformity here.

amandajane5

Testing.

Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer

A female James Bond is the funniest shit ever. Could you envision a male Paris Hilton? Right. We all have our place in the order of things. Men run the world, women shop and tap on their iPhones.

I suppose a black James Bond could work, although I’m not a Social Justice Warrior so I’m not creaming my jeans over the possibility. Idris Elba causes plenty of tingles (as evidenced by this thread), but I’m not sure he could pull off the rugged masculinity that Craig can. He’s a bit too beautiful, almost effete. He raises my staff no question, but I wouldn’t buy him as Bond.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@Dragon Slayer

When you aren’t coming up with ridiculous terminology for gentitalia, you are really boring. You had a great opportunity, but stuck with the boring “tingles.” Either up your game or shut up.

Gametime

Trying too hard.

drst
drst

Because I never miss an opportunity to post this anywhere, the *ahem* “effete” Idris Elba, kicking alien monster ass this summer in “Pacific Rim”:

gelar
gelar

@drst – My reaction can be summed up as: “… GLaDOS? … GLaDOS! :D”

mxe354
mxe354

How about “People run the world?” Oh wait, that would require you to see women as people. Oops.

Ooo, racist and sexist – well, you might as well go beyond having only one kind of prejudice. The more, the better, I suppose.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I can imagine a male Paris Hilton or a female James Bond. They’re both fictional characters, so why not?

I can also imagine that D/s will never admit the logic fail in using a fictional character as evidence of something.

pecunium

D/s:A female James Bond is the funniest shit ever. Could you envision a male Paris Hilton? Right. We all have our place in the order of things.

Male Paris Hilton? I.e. someone famous just because? Any number, e.g. Andrea Colognoli, Kip Rhinelander, Scott Disick, Kato Kaelin.

As to women in, “their place” Cleopatra, Theodora, Boudicca, Eleanor of Acquitaine.

What is it you do again?

the rugged masculinity that Craig can. He’s a bit too beautiful, almost effete.

Typical. You’ve not read the books. Bond is mostly a bit delicate, and a bit rugged (compare him Casino Royale to “The Spy Who Loved Me”.

As expected, you are clueless, ignorant and care not a whit that you are leaving your ass hanging in the wind as you show those facts to the world.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

He’s a bit too beautiful, almost effete.

It worked for Pierce Brosnan.

I thought he was just going to come out and say “white people run things and black people are slaves.”

WRT Q and Moneypenny: My hopes for a Lisbeth Salander-style hacker chick Q aside, I think the roles were both reasonably well cast, but poorly scripted. Moneypenny is supposed to be unfit for field work, but at the beginning she seems completely competent; it’s Bond who fails all his tests. Meanwhile, it makes sense for Q to be a young technophile, but they don’t really make use of him: They don’t play up the young-upstart aspect, he doesn’t do any technobabble, and hell, he doesn’t even have interesting gadgets.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Dragon Slayers’ “No male Paris Hilton” is even funnier because “shallow rich idiot” isn’t a gendered trope in fiction, much less in real life, where they sometimes get elected as president. I mean, the trope is common enough for men that Batman uses it as cover.

pecunium

Bertie Wooster.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

pecunium–That’s exactly who popped into my head, but I couldn’t remember the name.

pecunium

Peter Whimsey plays on the trope; because he can.

thebewilderness

Notes from your boner are not welcome here DS. No, really, they are not. I realize that for MRAs it is incomprehensible to attempt to frame any observation without including notes from their boner. That is just one of the many things that separate MRAs from decent human beings.

drst
drst

@clairedammit – um, Paris Hilton is an actual person, could we maybe not erase that? I have little respect for her choices in life, but she’s a human being. Unless you were referring to a media “persona” idea?

The Scarlet Pimpernel also uses it as a cover.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

drst, seconded.

It says a lot about draggin’ arse that he can’t fathom the difference between “real person” and “fictional character who could be played by different actors”.

Buntzums
Buntzums

This is a female composer who in my opinion rivals the best out there. I could listen to her all day.

Mind you it has scales occasionally. Which may be a cardinal sin according to some MRA’s.

hellkell
hellkell

So you’re blind as well as stone cold stupid? Try harder, baby.

Also, no one cares about your staff.

ellex24

If you want a female Doctor Who, although Dame Judi Dench might once have been a great idea, unfortunately she’s not only a bit old to run down corridors all day long, she’s also going blind, poor lady. He’s also too old now, but I think Geoffrey Palmer would have made a wonderful Doctor.

How about Emma Thompson? Give Lenora Crichlow a few more years and experience and I’d consider her as well.

I’d love to see Tom Hiddleston in the role…but not just yet. I’d like to see a Doctor who isn’t younger than me.

clairedammit
clairedammit

drst, yes I was referring to her media personality, sorry I wasn’t clear. That baby voice she uses, for example, isn’t how she talks all the time. She definitely puts on a persona, and I can imagine a man doing a similar thing – why not?

cloudiah

Idris Elba is easy on the eyes, and a good actor. But effete? Not really seeing that.

hellkell
hellkell

Yeah, not effete. Especially when he was playing Stringer Bell on the The Wire.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

And of course the idea of a man being effete is sooo baaaad, isn’t it? Because draggin’s using it as a synonym for effeminate rather than weakened or infertile, and the ultimate insult for a misogynist is to suggest a man is in any way like a woman.

Protip: draggy, just go look at some Tom of Finland pics. It might do your miserable little self some good.

ellex – I didn’t know Judi Dench is going bllind. 🙁 But yeah, I wasn’t thinking of her doing the role now, more a sort of generic timeless thing.

Emma Thompson would be marvellous!

I’d be interested to see how Tom Wilkinson would handle it. Or Robert Carlyle. Doctor MacBeth!

drst
drst

@clairedammit – aha! OK that makes much more sense. Hilton has had some fun with her persona more than once (I have fond memories of the video she made replying to John McCain invoking her in the 2008 election, whatever else I may feel about her).

I am not a Whovian so I leave recasting that to you all. However I did squee when I saw that Alex Kingston is going to be on “Arrow” this coming week! (Along with John Barrowman, who is a recurring character. 🙂

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I loved Alex Kingston in ER, and in Silence in the Library, but I don’t much like the way they’ve written River Song since then.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@drst

Paris Hilton played an attention-seeking God looking for worshippers posing as Paris Hilton on Supernatural. That was fun. 🙂

@The Kittehs’

I love River Song completely. She is the best thing about the show for me. But I totally agree about Alex Kingston on ER. She rocked.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

That should be a lower-case g in god. My autocorrect is a monotheistic. o.O

Some Gal Not Bored at All

And now it is just mocking me.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Autocorrect is a minion of Basement Cat.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Say, Ellex, if you’re around – would you mind reposting the link to those compression gloves? I’ve completely forgotten which thread they were in.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@The Kittehs’

It was in “Question Time.” Here is the link: http://www.handezegloves.com/

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Thank you! My memory, it is a sieve.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@The Kittehs’

I cheated and found it by looking at what page I was on before googling arnica. Yay for never clearing my browsing history!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

BRB after I stop laughing about the idea of Idris Elba being effette.

(Don’t get me wrong, I love androgynous men, but Elba is not androgynous at all. ArksyDragon fails once again.)

As far as a female Bond, I think all the suggestions so far are too old. Not that Bond hasn’t been played by older actors before, but honestly it was a bit hard to swallow when it came to some of the more physical stuff. That’s part of the reason why Craig is a big improvement. Given that, why not Lena Heady? She’s 40-ish, I think, which is about right in terms of age, and she can play morally ambiguous really well.

ellex24

Thanks, Some Gal. Sorry , Kitteh! Mom and I were watching “Community” and squeeing over Inspector Spacetime, and snacking on crab rangoon.

The high life…I’m livin’ it.

Whoever mentioned Colin Salmon for James Bond – I’m totally behind that. I don’t care if he’s already been in the franchise as another character, Colin Salmon would be perfect.

ellex24

Regarding the Hand-eze gloves, another thing I found is that if you do a lot of computer mousing, a mouse pad with a wrist rest makes a huge difference. I was getting an ache with shooting pains from my elbow up to my shoulder for a while last year, and when I switched to a mouse pad with a wrist rest, the pain had almost disappeared in less than a month.

pecunium

I switched to a trackball mouse; a great improvement. Esp. if one is using a laptop.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

That’s a good idea about the wrist rest! Never thought of it, but I’ll have a look for one. It’d be just the shot – between ManBoobz and photoshopping, I spend a lot of time using the mouse, and that’s mainly why my wrist gets a bit achey.

Any suggestions about the Handeze gloves, ie. have you tried different ones? I’m inclining toward the ones with the adjustable wrist straps at present.

cloudiah

Seconding the mouse pad with a wrist rest (I also have a wrist rest for my keyboard). I can’t use the trackballs myself, but some of my co-workers swear by them.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I prefer the mouse-with-laser style. I tried using the wossname mouse pad thingy on my laptop, but it’s just not for me, especially for working on pics. Mind you I don’t even use the keyboard on my laptop, I much prefer the old one from my PC.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

You can buy the wrist pad attached to a mousepad or separate. (which is nice if you want to keep your awesome Darth Vader mousepad. Not that I’d know anything about that.)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

LOL!

If I had a mousepad it’d want to be of the “coffee cup rings, random cat furs and scattered crumbs” design to fit in with the overall look of my computer desk.

ellex24

I’ve only used the original gloves and the 3/4 finger gloves. The finger ones took a little getting used to, but I really like them, especially since my hands have poor circulation and my fingers get cold.

I second cloudiah on the wrist rest for the keyboard. I have one of those as well.

Go to this website: http://www.zazzle.com/

You can make a customized mouse pad with wrist rest. Their prices are quite reasonable. I have some great personalized bumper stickers from them.

I also got a cheap mouse pad with wrist rest from Walmart for work. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on something that was just an experiment to see if it would stop the ache in my elbow and shoulder.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

What a cool site!

I think I’ll have a scout round the stores at home to see if wrist-rest pads are available and what the prices are like. There are times when it’s cheaper to get stuff from the States than from right here … sheesh.

Wally Wick
Wally Wick

Chelsea Wolfe is a good female composer.
But I guess she goes against her place in the “order of things”, where men write brooding, dark tunes while women produce lighthearted fluff.

pecunium

What I found with the trackball was 1: greater accuracy in placement, and less over all strain. 2: Less tiring, because fewer muscles required to move it. 3: Less in the way of RSI to my fingers.

For really fine work on photos I have a tablet.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Does the trackball work in essentially the same way as the mouse panel thingy on a laptop – ie. the fingers do fine movement on it rather than the hand moving the whole thing?