antifeminism creepy misogyny MRA the spearhead

Betty Friedan: Communist homewrecker?

Ladies Love Cool Joe (Stalin)
Ladies Love Cool Joe (Stalin)

Last week marked the 50th anniversary of the publication of Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique, which inspired a flood of commemorative essays everywhere from Slate to the New York Times.

It also inspired what I think is one of the most hilariously dumb sentences I’ve ever read on The Spearhead. In a post talking about Friedan’s “youthful Bolshevik activism” – she spent a number of years as a labor journalist – Spearhead head boy W.F. Price offers this assessment of the book that jumpstarted feminism’s second wave:

Although I haven’t read the book, it apparently stresses the need for women to engage in work outside the home, which is a basic Communist tenet.

Yeah, that’s why most women work. Not to pay the bills, but because they are pawns of the worldwide communist conspiracy.

Weirdly, Price is well aware that he’s full of shit here, and that most women throughout history have worked, not because of Communism but because of economic necessity. Indeed, he even points this out in his post. But he follows this acknowledgement with more thoughts on Friedan’s evil commie ways:

[I]t looks as though Betty Friedan was one of the many dedicated Communists who caused so many problems immediately after WWII. I once looked up a list of known Communist front groups in the US, and noticed that quite a few of them were women’s groups. Combined with accounts I’ve read from former Cheka agents, it makes for pretty convincing evidence that feminism was deliberately fostered in the US by Soviet agents. It makes sense to use women in that manner, because authorities are not as suspicious of women, and they can operate under the radar far more easily than men. Women also make excellent spies.

Although I’m sure resurgent feminism would have emerged in one form or another with or without Betty Friedan, it is interesting to note second wave feminism’s Cold War origins in Marxist infiltration of US society. …

It turns out she was little more than a loyal Bolshevik pawn who suddenly stumbled onto success by writing a thinly-veiled Marxist critique of American capitalist society from a woman’s perspective.

In the comments, TheTruthishere enthusiastically agreed with Price’s feminism-was-a-Soviet-plot thesis:

You are right a read the same thing on another site …  feminism was thought up in a russian thinktank to basically destroy the family as the states smallest cell. Basically so communism could be introduced in the western world. Well, it worked, it just took them longer than expected. By the way the Rockafellas are involved in this as well

RockEfellers. Not RockAfellAs. Or even RockAfellERs.

Uncle Elmer gave us this weird socio-sexual fantasy:

Speaking of Freudian, all feminists have a major clit-boner for “1963”, though it was not technically part of the mythic “50s”. Based on their persistent mention of that era, it’s clear they would gladly trade in their Birkenstocks for a chance to be slapped and rogured by Ward Cleaver.

They didn’t call him “The Cleaver” for nothing.

And Towgunner, for some odd reason, used the opportunity to express his disdain for “female” – in quotes – music composers.

I have a lot of classical music as my pandora stations, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, etc. So, guess what gets inter-mixed with the play sets from time to time…yep, the token “female” composer. I’m usually doing something else while listening and this never fails – I always know its a female composer because it, well, is bad music. Also, all of the female composers I’ve heard basically sound the same. All things aside, forget I’m an MRA, it has very little aesthetic value for anyone, except for those who think talent is the same thing as “social justice”. female composers create music that is akin to cold coffee left over from breakfast and now its 2:00 PM. And its not after a few minutes, I can tell a female composer in the first few seconds…that too never fails. Many of them painfully subject their listeners to simple scales and scattered and disagreeable harmonies…kind of like the background music for greys autonomy or any chick flick. Above all, it’s not, even in the slightest, original…frankly female composers are a perfect case study in that you can hear the innate female tendency towards conformity.

By the way, here are some songs by female composers – sorry, “female” composers. I’m not sensing a lot of conformity here.

lumi

@Kitteh, nah, they only hear waah waah wahh men waah waah waah evil waah waah 🙂 All the friendly socialization and support and stuff falls into the waah waah.

Yes, it’s great advice – I think we’re so used to following the idea that “baby animal” food is for baby animals that it’s not intuitive to grab that high-nutrient stuff for the elderly. I hope the new diet works well for Fribbie!

lumi

@katz, Wait, we can’t have Catherine Tate as the Doctor? Just shuffle continuity a bit and it’ll be fine. It’s a timey-wimey thing. I just can’t figure a way to put John Barrowman in without completely destroying the concept of continuity.

I am also an American who knows few British actors outside Doctor Who 🙂 I do watch other BBC shows, but I’m also really bad at names and faces.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

lumi, I was half thinking of Maggie Smith! Or Eileen Atkins. Never forget seeing her in Cold Comfort Farm. Or Geraldine McEwan – her Miss Marple could translate very well into the Doctor, I reckon, and she was awesome as Mrs Proudie in the Barchester Chronicles.

I’m inclined to agree about the silliness. I think it’s been ramped up. The first Doctor was anything but silly, the second more comic, the third witty but not a buffoon, the fourth more eccentric than anything, the fifth sort of … bit of this, bit of that, and I didn’t watch again until the tenth.

I think Catherine Tait would be really interesting both for the acting and for the plot device of the Doctor regenerating to look like Donna!

Oooh I know who I’d like to see, too – Martin Shaw (George Gently, Judge John Deed.)

Or for a younger Doctor, Lawrence Fox (Sgt Hathaway in Inspector Lewis). Him being married to Billie Piper has nothing to do with it, of course. 😉 But both those guys project dry humour very well, and I think they’d be interesting.

Though yeah, I’m sort of pining for the idea of Judi Dench doing it now, too.

cloudiah

Idris Elba as Bond? I’d watch the hell out of that.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

cloudiah, I added Artistry for Feminism. And Kittens. to my blog roll last night. 🙂

lumi

I find myself really liking the idea of an older woman in the role. Not that the manic young men (10 and 11) haven’t been fun, but if you’re regenerating you should actually be different. Perhaps after all the trauma, the Doctor has spent enough time alone to become more stoic, and got over the obsession with young women. Wouldn’t that be cool – a Doctor who wants to get at the secrets of the universe, picking companions because they are smart and curious? And then getting all schoolmarm when they inevitably screw up? (I am not familiar with 1-8, this was probably done before).

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

It’d be a nice change just to have the Doctor as a woman so senior in every way to the companions, though. Yeah, the first four were pretty much boss cocky and the companions … well, they varied, of course, but he was Teh Hero and there was no forgetting it. Though I shoudl mention the first two companions were the most mature of any. Barbara and Ian were teachers (they met him because they were teaching his granddaugher Susan and were curious about her). They were in their thirties, mature people who were pretty good at holding their own in the stories. Be nice to see that again instead of the Young Hot Things parade.

Yes, it’s theoretically possible to cast someone who’s already been in the show as the Doctor, but that screams “confusing plot tangle” to me, and besides, there are so many others.

lumi

Addendum: Despite her mysterious secret, the new companion seems too much in the Rose and Amy model. I admit to being biased, since Donna was my favorite and I admire Martha for having the strength to walk away. The naive ingenue swept up into the wise Doctor’s orbit is so played out.

lumi

@Katz: I think we just get attached to certain people. Whoever they choose, they’ll probably be hated for a minute and then loved.

True indeed.

cloudiah

Thanks, Kittehs’! I keep meaning to add your blog to mine, but I’ve been very lazy about updating it. Blogging is hard. XD

lumi

Of course, doctor who and bond both fall into the idea that you have to have a man for men to relate to, and women will go for it too because we don’t expect our own role models. Like Harry potter.

(errors due to writing on phone)

cloudiah

Okay you know it wasn’t actually that hard. Kittehs’ and LBT’s Crack of Sunshine both added.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I know, lol. One of the world’s laziest bloggers here. 😀

Thank ‘ee for adding it!

CassandraSays

I would vote for Idris Elba for Bond, though I have to say, Daniel Craig is the best once since Connery. Roger Moore was a big pile of fail, and although I like Timothy Dalton he’s too much of a toff for it not to change the character in weird ways.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I can never see Timothy Dalton without thinking of him in his youthful days as Philip II in The Lion in Winter, or as Prince Rupert in Cromwell. Damn, he was pretty then.

CassandraSays

On a less exalted note there was also Flash Gordon.

CassandraSays

Actually, on that note, I’m also inDalton. Clearly it’s the fault of my parents.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I was just looking at some shots from Flash Gordon! Never saw it and didn’t know he was in it, but yes, he’s very eye candy there!

Not that I’d call the other films exalted. Cromwell was a DUD saved only by Alec Guiness’s presence, and Lion in Winter … gah. Wordy nonsense, tho’ interesting to see Anthony Hopkins, Timothy Dalton and Nigel Terry in what I think (iirc) were their first major screen roles.

CassandraSays

I can never think of Nigel Terry without thinking of Excalibur, which may well be the best piece of pure cheese ever put on film. It was so weird to see Charlie Boorman all grown up and on a motorcycle trip with Ewan McGreggor, and remember him as baby Mordred.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Excalibur was decidedly weird, though fun. Years since I’ve seen it. I’ve seen Terry in a few TV series (think he was in Inspector Lewis once, sporting a beard and a faux-US accent) but I always think of him as Arthur. I thought he was very good in the role, best thing about the film.

CassandraSays

Totally OT but I just found a hilarious type (on an online bar/lounge review).

This sheik establishment also serves hors d’oeuvres but this is something that is better saved if you are going to be starting the evening on the early side. The bar gets crowed very quickly after 10:00 P.M and it can be uncomfortable eating with others breathing and hovering over you.

joanimal
joanimal

Colin Salmon would have been a perfect Bond, but they hired him for a supporting role to Pierce Brosnan…idiots.

Angelina Jolie is one of the finest current action stars among women or men IMHO. But she is so iconic she might have the same issues playing Bond that Jennifer Garner would.

I think Daniel Craig was a very good choice.

The weird thing is I am not a Bond fan, so how is it that I even know these things?

I wouldn’t expect a sheik establishment to serve alcohol at all.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I do hope all the waiters are wearing appropriately sheik clothing. I also hope they don’t look like Rudolph Valentino.

CassandraSays

If I’d read that and went there expecting Bedouin food I’d have been pissed. Though to be fair, it’s expensive enough that having some oil money would certainly help.

Deoridhe

When Romana was on the show, she actually became one of the other characters on a regeneration. It’ll be interesting to see what they do as they approach 12, though; canonically, time lords are supposed to stop at 12; part of why the Master was evil was because he was stealing other peoples’ bodies and lives to stay alive.

I like a lot of the companions. Actually, I miss when it was Tegan and Nissa and Adric – Nissa was an awesome scientist cum computer programmer, and of the three of them Adric got in trouble the most. I miss when aliens joined the Doctor’s ranks (both Nissa and Adric were not human), too. Ace was probably my all time favorite, though; or Leela.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

*waves*

*interrupts impolitely*

I got my tattoo! It took seven hours! It really hurt!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

thenat – that looks magnificent! I’m sorry it hurt. Seven hours …hell, just the cumulative effect of it taking that long would be hard to take.

But it looks superb!

OMG that looks fucking awesome. I can imagine it took a long time. Did you take any breaks?

Deoridhe

Oh wooooow, love it!

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Yeah it was only so bad because it took seven hours, if I’d done line and colour separately it would have been fine. But we were both being really stubborn, I wanted it done because I didn’t want to have to take another day off work to go to London and she wanted it for her portfolio.

I think I had about four five-minute breaks for cigarettes and Lucozade. But we were the last people in the shop by about two hours so we just stuck on some loud music (we like the same bands yay) and worked through that.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

How long ago did you get it done? It was a week or so we were talking about it, wasn’t it? It looks like it’s healing well. Did you have to keep it covered in cling wrap for a while?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’m off for a bit. Mum read today that Time Team is finished and has a yen to watch some of our many recorded episodes. Later, y’all!

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

I got it done yesterday, that picture is from literally as it was finished. Yeah, I’m wrapped in clingfilm but only for one more day, which is good. I know it’s making me safer but it’s so uncomfortable and gross. No one told me tattoos were this gross.

Have fun with Time Team, it’s one of my favourites. The most truly British programme there is – it’s all about drizzle, regional accents and disappointment.

Wally Wick
Wally Wick

When no one was looking, Betty Crocker baked 40 cakes. With pre-packaged cake mix. And that’s terrible.

Ha, we did forget to mention the grossness. You’ll be molting colorful scabs for a while.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

I woke up this morning in a puddle of ick. *shudders*

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Don’t forget to put lots of antibiotic cream on! Don’t know if you have Bepanthen in the UK but it’s what my tattooist recommended.

I love Time Team. Only stopped watching it when Channel 4 fucked around with it and Mick Aston quit. We just watched one about two A26 bombers that went down during WWII, and now we’re about to watch one about a Roman fort in Scotland (which will probably have the wonderful Guy de la Bédoyère in it).

I saw a guy who looked like a young Phil Harding a few days back. Same wonderfully tragic hair and sideburns/whiskers, and a redhead, too. Sadly he was not wearing The Hat.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

I’m using Bepanthen, yes.

I do really love Time Team. When I went to my mum’s last week, they all had to go to school and work and stuff, so I just sat and watched a Time Team marathon for six hours. It was amazing. But no one will watch it with me and play the Time Team drinking game

🙁

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

OMG that game is perfect! Except you’d be paralytic by the end of one episode. Well, I would be, anyway.

Love the bit about taking seven sips if Tony makes a valid point.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

I really like Romana ii and the fact that she was so much more intelligent than the doctor. She was naive though, but in a sort of nice way. I also remember Zoe being cool. The new companions are boring and replaceable by comparison.

I wasn’t keen on Donna in the Christmas episode as I thought it was an insulting stereotype of working class people, and women in general with her being desperate to marry and not being accepted. She was supposed to be pathetic. I think the character changed, but she was introduced as a figure of fun.

Dvärghundspossen

Yeah, Donna as a regular companion came off as pretty different from Donna in the Christmas special. In the Christmas special she seemed like a real bimbo. When she was a regular, she was smart and capable, and I really liked how her crappy work-life as a temp on various companies actually was of help to them in several situations: “Donna Noble – super-temp!”.

Historophilia
Historophilia

Can I offer my ideal head casting for the next stage of the Bond films?

James Bond: Idris Elba

M: Cate Blanchett (I see no reason why we can’t have a non-British M, and she’s Australian after all. I can see some fun being had with riffs about “colonials” :P)

Miss Moneypenny: Naomie Harris as present (but seriously they need to script her better, I love the actress but where is the banter? Bond and Moneypenny need banter! I think that’s Craig’s fault though, he doesn’t strike me as an actor able to do banter well. But Idris Elba would have that down pat, also he would be charming, I miss having a Bond with charm.)

Q: Richard Ayoade (I cannot for the life of me understood why he wasn’t cast instead of Ben Whishaw. As far as I can work out Ben Whishaw is just a whiter, less funny version of Ayoade)

Bond Villain: Lena Headey! (Like seriously! Her turn as a crime boss in Dredd was awesome and we need a female Bond villain, the series is crying out for one. One that isn’t a caricatured, butch, Russian lesbian that is, damn you From Russia with Love.)

Bond Girls: Here I struggle, as they usually have up and coming actresses in these roles and I don’t really know that many. Angel Coulby maybe? I’d also put in my plug for Louise Brealey. I’d have her as a genius, socially awkward hacker who Bond keeps hitting on and she’s all like “Whut? No. Mission.”

aworldanonymous

For any fans of Industrial music here, Unter Null is a female composer, and is one of the very few truly innovative artists in the genre today. She’s also pretty much the only artist in the harsh EBM subgenre who I’ll still listen to.

aworldanonymous

As for Doctor who stuff, my dream Doctor is Alan Cuming. Just imagine him and Barrowman in the same episode, it would be glorious.

Painis siniaP
Painis siniaP

Also by female composers: the bulk of the soundtracks to Street Fighter II, Castlevania from Symphony of the Night onward and F-FUCKING-ZERO. Plus Cowboy Bebop.

hellkell
hellkell

If they cast Idris Elba as Bond, I would actually watch one of those movies. He is stunning.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

Ben Whishaw was really good in Nathan Barley, although his role involved not saying much, being picked on and jumping out of a window. I can see him being cast as Q based on that. Not seen the James Bond film though, the photos suggest he was dressed stupidly. It might be the wrong role for him. I likes Pingu a lot.

I’m not sure how the role would be for Ayoade, I have only seen him in comic things and so it might put his career on a tangent he doesn’t want to take. That said with the money doubt anyone sensible would turn it down. He was also good in Nathan Barley although his role had less screen time (but probably more dialogue). Ayoade also writes doesn’t he?