antifeminism evil fat fatties heartiste I'm totally being sarcastic kitties men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA PUA racism reddit twitter

#TellAFeministThankYou fends off a manosphere manvasion!

Kittens composing feminist tweets.
Kittens composing feminist tweets.

The twitter hashtag wars continue! Apparently still pissed off that feminists pooped on their #INeedMasculismBecause tag the other day, the dudes of the manosphere launched a little counterattack aimed at #TellAFeministThankYou, a hashtag originally started by Melissa McEwan of Shakesville to give an opportunity to feminists to thank other feminists for, you know, being awesome and stuff.

On Chateau Heartiste, the Heartiste formerly known as Roissy charged up the troops for the campaign.

[T]he #TellAFeministThankYou Twitter feed has morphed into a shooting gallery for the entertainment of trolls and assorted sadists, providing a laugh a second. Feminists on that feed have been reduced to impotently bleating “wait for them to get it out of their systems.”

Go for the fun, stay for the cruelty. And keep an eye out for malevolent forces committing drive-bys of spectacular carnage. The kind of carnage that can leave a feminist with barely enough strength to mewl for the sympathies and circle-wagoning of fellow travelers.

There was just one problem: The PUAs and MRAs and other assorted Red Pill tweeters forgot to have a sense of humor.

Heartiste tried his best to generate some hilarity with a few tweets of his own.

twfh1twfh2twf3

Such magnificent wit!

Evidently feeling he needed to kick it up a notch, he decided to add some sprinkles of racism:

twfhracist

See, cuz only guys with names like “Juan” and “Anfernee” (hint, hint, hint) harass women on the street!

Here are some contributions from some other Red Pill wits, which evidently were highly amusing to the dudes in the RedPill Subreddit:

twfo1twfo2twfo3

And a couple of others I found on my own:

twfm1twfm2

There were even a few directed at little old me, like this one from our friend Chuck at Gucci Little Piggy:

twfgucci

You’re welcome!

Flawless victory, guys!

Oh, and here are some more kitties, since they seem to annoy manosphere dudes so much.

1558126444_7fdd153cd22778870314_df6e557d775224934736_f5ca46fbe7_o

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Sorry, on ibuprofen plus codeine now, so my grammatical structure is shot.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Lots of Kindles etc on the trains here too, now. At least, I see ’em when I stay awake long enough … I woke up just as the train left my stop this morning. 😀

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

I read most of King’s pre-Stand books (read them in order and holy fuck is that one long) — ‘Salem’s Lot is a lot more terrifying if you’re reading it at ~15 in a strange house with the window open so you don’t boil and, oh yeah, there isn’t even a screen on the window.

Probably should’ve been more worried about opossums and the like getting in, but I jumped at Every. Single. Noise.

Firestarter has some excellent moments — rkcybqvat puvpxra nalbar?

Pet Cemetery *shudders*

As for the Shining, yeah, the book is better, but there’s a newer, much longer, movie version that’s much truer to the book (for one…vg raqf cbbyfvqr jvgu Unyybena orng hc ohg nyvir)

/King geek moment (my mother has All His Books, so I can’t help it)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Ibuprofen and codeine – that’s nasty. 🙁

How’s Asthma Kitty doing, btw? I meant to ask yesterday.

Ellex
Ellex

@Kittehs’

Get the Kindle. So far the best e-readers on the market (unless you can afford an iPad) are the Kindle and the Nook. But Amazon has more books for better prices than Barnes & Noble. I was recently given a gift card to B&N and had a difficult time finding stuff to buy. The B&N website is really crappy to search and to browse, as well.

I have the first version of the Kindle Fire. My mother has a Kindle Touch. If you’re okay with long hours staring at a backlit screen, get the Fire. If not, the Paperwhite has an excellent reputation. I find my mother’s Touch to be a bit temperamental – the wifi tends to turn itself on and the touch response can be a little wonky. Ours are both a little over a year old, though, so I expect the newer versions are better.

I’ve also had a lot of success putting PDF documents on my Kindle, and there’s a free program called Calibre that you can use to convert epub type e-books to a Kindle format. Gutenberg also offers Kindle format for their public domain e-books.

One of my co-workers has a Nook. I checked it out and wasn’t impressed.

I feel you on the book downsizing. I did a big overhaul of my books last summer and took bags and bags of books to Half-Price Books. It was very traumatic. And then I spent the money I got from selling my old books on new books. I was very ashamed (NOT) of myself.

DAMMIT, I put a Slenderman picture on my desktop background and I keep thinking I see it moving. I need to put a different picture up…a cute kitten, maybe.

cloudiah

I have the Kindle app for my iPad and it’s fine, if a little heavy for reading for long periods.

In the US at least, there’s an e-book reader that purchases books from a network of independent booksellers. Oh and there’s an app called IndieBound for iOS and Android.

Back to the books, I honor my Scandihoovian roots by reading Henning Menkel, Kurt Wallander, and Jo Nesbo.

pecunium

I finally got my books out boxen (for the first time in more than a decade). I don’t have enough shelf space for them. I need to cull. So It’s the entire wall of a thirty foot hallway, another five feet on another wall,and a couple of shelves upstairs.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

We have three walls of our lounge room taken up with 6′ high bookshelves – all full – plus paperbacks shoved into boxes in the back room and a small bookshelf in Mum’s room. And we culled enormously when we moved into this house.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Oh and read I Am Legend. I’ll refrain from ranting about how terrible the movie is, but it is Not That Book. The book is excellent in a less than sterotypical “we saw the enemy and it is us” sense. The movie changes the plot to much it’s a travesty that they even used the same title.

…that was ranting, and I am sorry

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

On nonfiction I have enjoyed: pretty much everything by Margaret Atwood, but especially The Blind Assassin. Other books I have liked a lot (and re-read) include Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Cure for Death by Lightning, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (but not the sequel Lila? which was crap), The Dancing Wu Li Masters and the somewhat related Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet.

More clearly non-fiction books I have enjoyed are the two history books by Bryson (of nearly everything and the rooms-in-the-house one), Guns Germs and Steel and the sequel Collapse by Jared Diamond. I also quite like Steven Pinker, and I have a number of generalist science and risk books, by various authors and I quite like Nassim Nicholas Taleb because I get somewhat tired of explaining how statistics and expert elicitation methods are by definition not good at predicting black swan events.

But most of my bookcase is psychology, statistics, and operations research….

Creative Writing Student

@Ellex

Slenderkitten?

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I have the nook 1st edition ereader because Amazon takes back your books and I find that behavior outrageous, and because I don’t care about surfing the web on it. My grandson has the Kindle Fire and say the battery life is teh awesome.

pecunium

I Am Legend is great, and that’s real.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

I cried when the dog turned in I Am Legend, the movie. I don’t think I can read the book. I read all three Pullman novels (The Golden Compass was based on the first), but the deaths of the animals upset me enormously so that was a bit of a push. The Song of Fire and Ice (?not sure if that is the right name for the “Game of Thrones” collection I am reading) is also triggery for animal violence.

The drugs have knocked most of the edge off the pain, so I’m not gritting my teeth now, some days I wish menopause would just hit early. Kitty is better, but we need to get some ventolin because he’s woken me up twice at 12.30am with asthma attacks. He’s taking the steroid inhaler well, but spoke to the vet today and she said it won’t help (it also won’t harm) an acute attack, so we need the bronchodilator. He’s on human Flixotide for the steroid, and the Ventolin will also be human – nobody makes these drugs for cats. But they’re pretty safe. Literally, this is what we do with him once a day:

He gets cat treats afterwards, and is petted and told he’s a good boy while he’s got the thing around his nose and mouth. And after doing this for a couple of nights, it was only then that I noticed that I can see the green diaphragm in the main chamber move, to know he’s taking the medication in. 🙂

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@thebedwilderness, what do you mean that Amazon takes back your books? I’ve not had one taken in. They do have a rental service, where the book expires after a period of time, is that what you mean? Or you can archive to the cloud so you free up reader space?

cloudiah

Just saw a TV ad for a new comedy show, missed the name. The comedian’s joke, chosen to showcase his humor (I’m paraphrasing):

Chris Brown is in legal trouble for beating up Frank Ocean. This could cause problems with Rihanna, who thought she was special.

Funny. 0_0

leftwingfox

Aside from “The Stand” the only Stephen King novel I enjoy wholeheartedly is “The Eyes of the Dragon”, which features recurring boogeyman Flagg again.

pecunium

Kiwi Girl: The only thing the book shares is the title.

re “takes back your books”. Amazon has, more than once, resolved questions of copyright by erasing the books from the kindles of people who had purchased them. The first time was with “1984”.

Ellex
Ellex

@Creative

Well, we do call our cat Rory “LOLopus” (LOLcat+octopus) and “Octorory” since he likes to jump on our other cat Tigwell and wrap all four legs around him. So maybe putting a Rory picture on my desktop will qualify as Slenderkitteh.

@Kiwi girl

Holy cow! Er, cat! I feel for your poor kitty. I’m on Advair with Ventolin as needed. The Advair is great, the Ventolin is just kinda so-so. Fortunately we finally got enough cold weather here in Pittsburgh to kill off all the stuff I’m allergic too, so I’ve been doing pretty good. But that’s amazing, I had no idea you could use an inhaler on a cat like that. Fortunately, my kitties are in excellent health.

I hope you and your kitty feel better soon.

Ellex
Ellex

Regarding Amazon taking back books, they also took back all the books from some customer they claimed violated their TOS. I can’t recall where I read about that, or I’d provide a link.

You can download a permanent copy of any book you buy from Amazon onto your computer. Hopefully they haven’t put any code in that would let them remote delete it from the hard drive (I have no idea if that’s even possible). I download all my books and keep a backup of them on an external hard drive, in any case.

cloudiah

Hope you feel better soon, Kiwi girl and Kiwi kitty!

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@pecunium so there’s no awful stuff happening to animals in the book? If not, I’ll buy it. 🙂 That was the first I heard about copyright issues, and things being erased. I’ve only had good experiences with ebooks from Amazon: I wrote a review where I gave a book fewer stars because it was badly translated into the Kindle format, and got an email from Amazon saying to do a particular thing to my Kindle to get the book fixed because the publisher had resolved the issue (hooray for responsive publishers). I also accidentally bought a book on my Kindle and didn’t realise at the time that I could reverse the process using the device, so wasted more than the 15 minutes trying to find out how to do it via computer. I emailed their customer support to ask to get the book removed and a refund, and they did both which was nice of them because I was outside the “opps I didn’t mean to buy that” window.

Has this copyright problem occurred again recently? And has it anything to do with people changing the location of where they live in order to get access to more books (e.g. there are more Kindle books in the US market compared to the NZ market, because some of the copyrights don’t extend to those countries)? There has been the odd case where I know a book is available electronically in Australia and not in New Zealand – because I can see it for the Kindle using a work ISP address but not when I use my home one – and I email the publisher to push for the copyright to get extended to NZ.

@Ellex thanks for the kind wishes. He’s getting better – fewer asthma attacks now – but those two nights he had me panicking. His nose stayed pink though, the vet said that I can tell if he’s lacking oxygen because his nose will go white and his mouth will go blue. He hasn’t had one that bad /fingers crossed.

Kim
Kim

Catchng up on comments… but had to say @kitteh. I love black books. Every time I watch it I desperately want to own my own little book shop. Preferably one I can run as terribly as Bernard does and still stay in business, and that comes with friends like Manny and Fran.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Here’s The Guardian on the Kindle Wipe:

The really frustrating part was that they refused to tell her exactly what she had done that violated the TOS.

Deoridhe

If you like the Campion books, the British tv version of it is pretty awesome. Doctor #5 from Doctor Who is Campion, and he does it rather well! For books, I cannot log enough Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate series. Awesome female characters, awesome male characters, complex and believable plots, a thoroughly wonderful satire in the first book (she has hints in later books, but it becomes much more action adventure), and I adore it so much. My sugarrush book remains the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop; lots of icky things in the first three books, but her later ones are much more “rebuilding the kingdom” and I have really been enjoying it. Jane Lindskold’s books starting with Thirteen Orphans, which is modern fantasy based on Chinese mythology and with hints of others. I really adore it a lot and need to pick up more of the series.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I had been trying to decide which I would get, the Kindle or the Nook, because I knew I had to get rid of some of these books that take up enormous amounts of space. I had already been borrowing books from the library to my computer so I knew I could learn to do without the feel of books. When Amazon snatched back copies of 1984 without so much as a by your leave my mind was made up. I like to support local companies and that is one reason I bought from Amazon all through those first money losing years. Then, after the book take back, I find out how they treat employees and I’m just plain pissed at them.

Kim
Kim

and @cloudiah

I am conflicted about dog breeding (and cat breeding too). On one hand I don’t want lots of accidental dogs being born, as that leads to too many dogs. On the other hand, if the only dogs being born were the deliberate ones, we’d never have mutts anymore.

Kim
Kim

We have very similar taste in non-fiction. Though I love all Bryson’s books on English as well.

And I thought you guys might get a kick out of this score chart so you can check if your husband or wife is up to scratch.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

The best book I’ve read recently is The Family Fang about a family of performance artists. The book is really about the two (now-grown) kids and their trying to make sense of their lives. Hilarious and dark and sad. I’d recommend it to almost anyone.

Peter

@Kiwi It’s been a few years since I read it, but I remember almost nothing about the dog in the novella, so if anything bad happens to her, it’s not exactly detailed or memorable. I mostly wanted to chime in because a) the first half of the I Am Legend film impressed the living hell out of me, and I’m not being derisive when I say I think it’s some of Smith’s best work. And, of course, Abbey, although I haven’t followed her filmography as closely.

Also because the novella is, page for page, the best vampire story I’ve ever read. The genre seems to get stuck jumping back and forth between theology and biology; Matheson’s the first writer I know of to look at vampirism in terms of culture.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

@Kim – I’d love to do a Bernard at work and still make money too! Not to mention being able to use his accounting system. Overall, work’s more like Monty Python’s bookshop sketch, and I feel like saying “Why don’t you try WH Smith?” to some of our more cretinous customers.

Love that chart! Even leaving out the irrelevant stuff like insurance and cars, Mr K comes out as Very Superior. 🙂

I presume everyone’s talking about the most recent version of I Am Legend and not the Vincent Price or Charlton Heston ones?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Oh I had a bit of a laugh at a strange incident tonight. I was in town and a charity collector/sign up for this worthy cause bloke approached with the usual “Howareyoutodayma’amsorrytobotheryou” and I said, “Don’t worry, you’re not,” without breaking stride. A young guy walking alongside said, “Nice,” and then “Would you be my Valentine?” WTF? I mean, I’m 99% sure he was joking, but he was young enough to be my grandson. I laughed and said I was spoken for (true: every day is St V’s for Mr K and me). He said he was “used to rejection,” but he said it lightly so I don’t think I’d encountered my first NiceGuy™ in the wild.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Since 1848 huh? Yes, because the Senca Falls convention was really a summit where evil feminists plotted the destruction of men

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Not only plotted it, but were miraculously able to put it into instant, worldwide effect.

The Charlton Heston one wasn’t called I am Legend, so I assume it is not being referred to.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Yeah, I presumed not. I quite enjoyed that one, as I recall (saw it in the long-ago days of the midnight movies on telly). 🙂

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Oh, Wiki tells what happened to the dog in the novel: “He finds brief solace in a stray dog that finds its way to his house, but the malnourished and infected dog dies a week later.”

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Remember that the Polanski rape happened at Jack Nicolson’s house? Ever read any interviews of his? The reason he’s so good at playing creepy is because he is creepy. Talented, but creepy. He was perfect for what Kubrick decided to do with The Shining, but I’m not sure he could have pulled off the character as written in the book. Subtlety isn’t really his strong point.

I always feel so out of place when people start talking about Whedon because I’ve never liked any of his stuff. I think it’s the strong empowered woman = waif fu thing, it just feels really patronizing to me.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Now what I find disturbing about Nicolson is that Hollywood tried to sell his leering, slightly threatening, creepy as hell persona as sexy for a while. The idea that women were assumed to just love that kind of thing really confused me back in the days when he was younger and getting more work.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Yeah, I don’t get the Nicholson as sexy thing at all. Creepy, philandering and in my eyes feckin’ ugly. Yech.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Even if he was good looking he’d still be creepy as hell. Though I agree that attempting to sell someone who looks like that as a person that a female audience were assumed to be attracted to was kind of lulzy, especially once it got to the Witches of Eastwick era.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

::blooork::

I hadn’t known of his connection with the Polanski rape, and that takes him into the creepiness stratosphere. I knew he has a reputation as a … what, womaniser? Philanderer? Just promiscuous? Whatever the term, it never came across as appealing to me. I don’t know if I’d find him less distasteful if he looked like George Clooney, for instance, but the whole Nicholson package is one that makes me want to reach for the brain bleach.

Fatrelle
Fatrelle

———–got a zillion comments from white straight cis blokes about how the industry couldn’t possibly be bad———-

Do yuo have any evidence for this, or are you just making stupid ASSumptions?

Unremrkable feminist bigotry is unremarkable. Feminists are more bigoted than any other community i have ever seen. No wonder everyone hates you, and MRM is on the rise.

blitzgal

Feminists are more bigoted than any other community i have ever seen.

The denial is strong with this one.

The book is extremely different than the movie. For one thing, I’m pretty sure there is no dog character. There is a two-dimensional woman character who ends up being a cliched “Mata Hari” type, SPOILER. But the entire premise of the ending is completely different in the book.

blitzgal

@Kitteh

Sorry, I didn’t see your last post. I completely forgot about the dog. I wasn’t very impressed with the book — Matheson is your basic white privileged dude sci-fi writer of the 50’s who doesn’t give a shit about inclusion.

Tina
Tina

Good grief, Fatrelle. I’m over on AVfM reading some goofy list of supposed feminist shaming lines. I’ve said those things to folks and it’s not my feminist side talking. It’s my conservative side. If you are going to act like a child you will be treated like one. Yes, stop whining. You are not entitled to anything just because you breathe. And those guys still spend way too much time focusing on women and feminism and not enough time on helping men empower themselves. Do you think the shit you’re saying is new? Read women’s self-help books; it’s all right there. Oh, and some of the comments: “we are just going to have to make our woman cry” No, actually, you don’t, you asshole. You think women haven’t been putting up with the crap you are now getting? We’ve been dealing with it for years. Those that have successfully gotten past the crap are the ones you want to talk with. They can help you, not some bitter (yes, bitter) jerks that keep holding onto their hate.

howardbann1ster

On books–oh, the places I’ve been to, the things I’ve read, the changes in my taste… when I started the Dresden Files series it was the Best Thing Ever. Now, near the end, I find myself enjoying it, enjoying large pieces of it, but maddened by the bits that stand out so clearly and brightly and that I hadn’t noticed before…

I just started Mr. Norrel and Jonathan Strange. It’s kind of like Jane Austen. With wizards. It’s great fun to read.

Recently I’ve been all Charlie Stross, Jane Yolen… Oh, man, Briar Rose. A book hasn’t made me cry like that in EVER.

Ellex
Ellex

The Charlton Heston vampire film is “The Omega Man”. It’s loosely based on “I am Legend”. I remember enjoying it, but I haven’t seen it in years. I seem to recall thinking that it was better than a lot of apocalypse type films in dealing with some of the logistics of the situation.

I remember being so disappointed to find out that the adorable young man from “Fearless Vampire Killers” was Roman Polanski. I can’t deny his skill as a director…but it’s sadly perfectly possible to be very talented and a huge asshole at the same time.

Since we seem to be on the subject of vampires, one of my favorite vampire novels is Barbara Hambly’s “Those Who Hunt the Night”. I just found out that there are actually 4 books in that series (I thought there were only two). I guess I know what I’m doing with that Amazon gift card I got the other day.

If you like zombies, I just saw “Warm Bodies” last weekend. Nothing deep, but well done and amusing, and it handled certain plot points better than I would have expected.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

My favorite recent vampire movie is definitely Let The Right One In.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

In terms of movie recommendations, we have some history buffs here, right? If so, and if you have the patience to sit through a movie so long it has to be split onto 2 DVDs, you might want to check out Red Cliff. It’s kind of a who’s who of Chinese actors, and they went out of their way to make all the characters look as much like the historical depictions of them as possible, to the point where I looked at a couple of the generals and went “I’ve seen that guy before”. Also, it’s funny to watch John Woo figure out ways to replicate his beloved gunman face-off from The Killer, but with swords.