antifeminism evil fat fatties heartiste I'm totally being sarcastic kitties men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA PUA racism reddit twitter

#TellAFeministThankYou fends off a manosphere manvasion!

Kittens composing feminist tweets.
Kittens composing feminist tweets.

The twitter hashtag wars continue! Apparently still pissed off that feminists pooped on their #INeedMasculismBecause tag the other day, the dudes of the manosphere launched a little counterattack aimed at #TellAFeministThankYou, a hashtag originally started by Melissa McEwan of Shakesville to give an opportunity to feminists to thank other feminists for, you know, being awesome and stuff.

On Chateau Heartiste, the Heartiste formerly known as Roissy charged up the troops for the campaign.

[T]he #TellAFeministThankYou Twitter feed has morphed into a shooting gallery for the entertainment of trolls and assorted sadists, providing a laugh a second. Feminists on that feed have been reduced to impotently bleating “wait for them to get it out of their systems.”

Go for the fun, stay for the cruelty. And keep an eye out for malevolent forces committing drive-bys of spectacular carnage. The kind of carnage that can leave a feminist with barely enough strength to mewl for the sympathies and circle-wagoning of fellow travelers.

There was just one problem: The PUAs and MRAs and other assorted Red Pill tweeters forgot to have a sense of humor.

Heartiste tried his best to generate some hilarity with a few tweets of his own.

twfh1twfh2twf3

Such magnificent wit!

Evidently feeling he needed to kick it up a notch, he decided to add some sprinkles of racism:

twfhracist

See, cuz only guys with names like “Juan” and “Anfernee” (hint, hint, hint) harass women on the street!

Here are some contributions from some other Red Pill wits, which evidently were highly amusing to the dudes in the RedPill Subreddit:

twfo1twfo2twfo3

And a couple of others I found on my own:

twfm1twfm2

There were even a few directed at little old me, like this one from our friend Chuck at Gucci Little Piggy:

twfgucci

You’re welcome!

Flawless victory, guys!

Oh, and here are some more kitties, since they seem to annoy manosphere dudes so much.

1558126444_7fdd153cd22778870314_df6e557d775224934736_f5ca46fbe7_o

chibigodzilla

@blitzgal – That’s a pretty good policy, I’m sure the woman with the labs said something along the lines of “Oh, they’re just playing.” That’s what I was told when an acquaintance’s lab bit me. And yeah, he was playing, but why the hell does the dog believe that’s an appropriate way play!? A pit that acted the same way would be “too dangerous to live”

cloudiah

I know nothing about the shows you’re all discussing, but I love how enthusiastically you are discussing them. These conversations always make me want to go find these things and watch them — but then I get sidetracked.

So back to dogs for me… I’m also scared of dogs I don’t know, but the dogs that attacked me as a kid were a German Shepherd mix and a doberman. (2 separate occasions.)

Back to pits being all vicious and stuff:

There’s another video of the same dog gently cleaning a baby bunny, but I went with the chicks because of the adorable chirping.

BigMomma
BigMomma

I couldn’t watch Dollhouse for the reason that a misogynist could watch it and totally enjoy it. I really needed it to be clearer. I thought the concept was interesting however but for my money, and admittedly I didn’t watch all of it, Whedon failed.

Cloudiah, obviously you should watch a few episodes of Dollhouse and then tell us what you think.

Joanna

I know I can’t force people to like something they don’t want to like, but for the record I did have squicky feelings about Dollhouse for the first half of the first season. I think that’s why most people didn’t really give it a chance. I wonder if it would have been different if the main character was male.

Joanna

Also, I find it sad that some people can’t enjoy something because they know that someone somewhere is fapping to a woman getting her ass kicked in a sci-fi tv show. =(

cloudiah

Watch Dollhouse, or Firefly?

Either or both 🙂

Deoridhe

It’s series cannon that River is psychic, to. In the episode when she and her brother are kidnapped, she reads the mind of a mute girl and the town elder.

cloudiah

You mean I’m supposed to make my own decisions? I thought the hivemind would tell me what to do!

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

When I was 3 years old, it was a lab that bit me in the nose. But to this day, even my mom still believes that pit bulls are the vicious ones, that they turn on their masters and their jaws lock on.

We had adopted a dog who was a mix, and was the sweetest dog ever. He must have been part pit bull because he had a big square head like a bear.

Joanna

Perhaps it’s been a while since I’ve seen Firefly but I was always under the impression that she just had a super awesome brain. Can’t really remember any psychic bits =/

They also say she’s psychic in Serenity. It’s how she finds out about Miranda.

AJ
AJ

River also reads Badger’s mind in Shindig. I always had the impression the Alliance was training her to be an assassin. Oh, I remember now. She was always super smart – Simon says that in the pilot. And in Ariel, was learn that they operated on her brain and made her “feel everything” I think is how Simon puts it.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Best guess: “Anfernee” is “Anthony” pronounced with a stereotypical “Ebonics” accent. It’s the way racist jerkwads think black people talk.

My first thought on who’d pronounce the name that way would have been Dennis Waterman (ie. stereotypical Cockney).

freitag235
freitag235

OT, but oh noes!! It’s happening! Run for your lives!!!

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Being a kiwi female, I am excellent at ending my sentences with a high rising terminal. So pffffffffffffffffffft to people who are snobby about accents. We still get the odd letter to the editor over here with people complaining about the demise of BBC (Oxford?) English. Me, I get more upset with people who say “orientated” and who use “hypo” as the prefix when they mean “hyper”, as in “that child is so hypo”.

Creative Writing Student

GIVE THAT CHILD SOME SUGAR ASAP!

[/diabetic humour]

BigMomma
BigMomma

It’s not so much they are fapping off, btw, it’s more that someone like Whedon is producing material that is barely distinguishable from the usual sexist depiction of women as objects. I fully take on board that maybe his ideas develop and crystallize further into the series but sadly what I watched did not engage me. Way to be patronizing.

Kim
Kim

My bf gets unreasonable enraged when people say “anythink” instead of “anything”. I’d say it was classism except he’s the one who grew up in govt housing and it’s the PM who he’s talking about. I still think it’s more of an accent than actually wrong.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Oh, and don’t get me started about how the Catholic church didn’t even consider abortion murder until the 19th century anyway!

I don’t know if it was specific to France and regardless of it being a Catholic monarchy, but abortion was a capital crime there in the 17th century.

LBT
LBT

Huh, I didn’t know that bit of history about abortion. Blessings upon Manboobz, fount of random information.

Also a bit bummed about Adam Baldwin.

The Trevor Burger tweet makes me shake my head the most. I mean on the one hand, hooray, someone actually remembers that feminism didn’t just randomly pop up in the last hundred years, but DUDE, what the hell is wrong with you? Feminists at the time were fighting for the rights of the women’s vote and were also banding together with the abolitionists on the grounds that they both wanted voting rights. I think the vast majority of the population agrees that those are things people should have.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Like cloudiah, I know zip about these shows/actors! 😀 The only names I recognise are Firefly – from being told here what it was – Buffy, and Josh Whedon.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Ooo.. just randomly discovered this, sharing just in case others have not seen this either: http://feministing.com/2013/01/24/how-to-deal-with-a-mansplainer-starring-hillary-clinton-in-gifs/

drst
drst

I don’t actually see Xander as a nice guy. For one thing, he asks Buffy out instead of lurking forever waiting for her to have nobody but him. When she rejects him he acts like a bit of an ass, but rejection sucks, and he’s a teenager. I think he stayed loyal to Buffy as a friend throughout the show. The big lie about Willow doing the spell has problems, and maybe I’m just hiding my eyes, but I always saw that more as Xander being way more realistic about the chances of the spell working than about him wanting Angel gone (let’s not forget Angel had murdered Miss Calendar and been terrorizing Buffy for months at that point).

@BigMomma – I HATED Dollhouse for exactly the same reasons. I can love Buffy and Angel and Firefly because there’s enough good there to outweigh the parts that are the normal sexualization of women. Dollhouse had no redeeming qualities.

@Joanna – Jesus wept. People have posted almost a dozen examples of River being psychic. You’re wrong. Accept it and move the hell on with your life.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

The production of human resources became a major issue in Europe after the plague dramatically reduced the population. A witch hunt ensued that lasted for over a hundred years.

Dude, she just said she didn’t remember.

LBT
LBT

Having not seen Buffy, Angel, OR Dollhouse, I feel sorta useless in this conversation. *goes to hang out with Kittehs, who seems similarly culturally deprived* Kittens? Kittens!

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@Kiwi girl

That gif set is incredible! Thanks! 🙂

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@The Kittehs’

I can’t tell if you are making a joke, but this made me giggle. So, well done if it was on purpose. (And it’s Joss if it wasn’t. 🙂 )

Joanna

@BigMomma: Sorry, it was just the general criticism that most people had which is why I interpreted yours that way.

@drst: Lol Wut? I was sort of hinting at people to refresh my memory but the examples provided aren’t helping. I guess I need to brush up on my Whedon-verse…which I’m perfectly ok with ^_^

Integral
Integral

BigMomma
BigMomma

No worries, Joanna, it’s all cool.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

I generally like Whedon, but he does definitely play the feminism-is-hot-girls-fighting! thing waaay too frequently. I’d like some more nuance, thanks.

LBT
LBT

RE: Some Gal

I don’t think Kittehs is joking; she’s mentioned before not coming from geek circles.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Some Gal – LOL it wasn’t a joke, I don’t know the guy’s name that well after all!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Us French queens tend not to be geeks. 😀

Do any of the non-Whedon have a favorite series, film, book, or auteur they’d like to discuss and/or recommend?

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@The Kittehs’

It is a mistake a lot of people make (even people who have seen all his shows). Sorry if I laughed at your expense. (But I still say you made an awesome joke even if it was an accident.)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Plenty of series I like, but not really to the point of serious fandom. Possibly top of the list would be Oliver’s Travels, Sleepers and In the Red, which only went about four-five episodes each. I liked Hamish MacBeth a lot.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Some Gal – no worries! I’m not even sure how it was a joke, is there someone called Josh Whedon as well? I think I just wrote Josh ‘cos it’s more common than Joss.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

SHERLOCK. SO MUCH BROMANCE.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

I initially took it as like saying “I’ve learned about American politics from you guys. I recognize names like Bob Obama now.” (Like you are consciously saying that you are still unfamiliar, if that makes sense.)

It seemed like a joke I would make and have nobody get. I might just have a really odd sense of humor though.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

I liked Hamish MacBeth a lot too. The next thing I saw Robert Carlyle in was a skin-head in Cracker, then Trainspotting, then Ravenous. And his character was so nice in Hamish MacBeth!

I just watched The Graduate on Netflix and dammit, this site is making me realize just how many false rape accusations there are in movies.

cloudiah

I thought his first name was Josh too! [blushes] And I’ve now got Firefly in my Hulu queue.

Non-Whedon stuff: I read a lot of mysteries, but don’t know that anyone here is into those.

But do carry on with the Whedon-related discussions — I wasn’t being sarcastic when I said I enjoy watching you all geek out about things even when I don’t have any experience with them!

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@katz

Did you like The Graduate? I really dislike how two-dimensional the heroine is and how little her agency seems to matter, but I can’t help rooting for the hero anyway.

Not only are there a lot of false rape accusations, unless the movie is specifically about how hard rape cases are, the person making the accusation is pretty much always believed. There are never people whispering to each other about how the accuser led on the accused, etc. I can understand where the MRA gets the idea that it is common, but I don’t get holding on to that idea in the face of actual statistics. Given the choice between movies and real world data, it is easily the latter.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

@Some Gal – but isn’t Bob Obama Barry’s cousin? 😛

One thing I wasn’t claiming was familiarity with him or his work, lol. I know the name (kinda) but I doubt I’d make any associations if I saw it outside this site.

@Kiwi gal – did you see The Full Monty? Mum and I just watched it again the other night. Brings out my inner air guitarist (when I’m not laughing/cringing at the stuff those guys say – talk about being stuck in a really toxic mindset). Mr K and I did a sort of karaoke version of Make Me Smile at his place that night. Sounds good on lute. 🙂

I thought The Graduate was very good until the get-me-to-the-church-on-time rom-com ending. Ben spent the whole movie ruining his own life and the ending ought to show actual consequences. Elaine was very two-dimensional and there’s an uncomfortable madonna/whore dichotomy between her and Mrs. Robinson. (And why on earth does she like Ben at all when he’s a dick to her practically all the time?)

That said, great acting, fantastic cinematography, and of course an excellent soundtrack.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

cloudiah – what mysteries do you like? I’m very fond of Dorothy Sayers’s Lord Peter Wimsey series and Kerry Greenwood’s two (Phryne Fisher and Corinna Chapman) but that’s about the extent of my reading in the genre. Well, and Holmes, of course. 😉