antifeminism evil fat fatties heartiste I'm totally being sarcastic kitties men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA PUA racism reddit twitter

#TellAFeministThankYou fends off a manosphere manvasion!

Kittens composing feminist tweets.
Kittens composing feminist tweets.

The twitter hashtag wars continue! Apparently still pissed off that feminists pooped on their #INeedMasculismBecause tag the other day, the dudes of the manosphere launched a little counterattack aimed at #TellAFeministThankYou, a hashtag originally started by Melissa McEwan of Shakesville to give an opportunity to feminists to thank other feminists for, you know, being awesome and stuff.

On Chateau Heartiste, the Heartiste formerly known as Roissy charged up the troops for the campaign.

[T]he #TellAFeministThankYou Twitter feed has morphed into a shooting gallery for the entertainment of trolls and assorted sadists, providing a laugh a second. Feminists on that feed have been reduced to impotently bleating “wait for them to get it out of their systems.”

Go for the fun, stay for the cruelty. And keep an eye out for malevolent forces committing drive-bys of spectacular carnage. The kind of carnage that can leave a feminist with barely enough strength to mewl for the sympathies and circle-wagoning of fellow travelers.

There was just one problem: The PUAs and MRAs and other assorted Red Pill tweeters forgot to have a sense of humor.

Heartiste tried his best to generate some hilarity with a few tweets of his own.

twfh1twfh2twf3

Such magnificent wit!

Evidently feeling he needed to kick it up a notch, he decided to add some sprinkles of racism:

twfhracist

See, cuz only guys with names like “Juan” and “Anfernee” (hint, hint, hint) harass women on the street!

Here are some contributions from some other Red Pill wits, which evidently were highly amusing to the dudes in the RedPill Subreddit:

twfo1twfo2twfo3

And a couple of others I found on my own:

twfm1twfm2

There were even a few directed at little old me, like this one from our friend Chuck at Gucci Little Piggy:

twfgucci

You’re welcome!

Flawless victory, guys!

Oh, and here are some more kitties, since they seem to annoy manosphere dudes so much.

1558126444_7fdd153cd22778870314_df6e557d775224934736_f5ca46fbe7_o

Joanna

That “innocent unborn” bullshit pisses me off because according to Christianity you’re a sinner until you’ve been baptized.

Joanna: Let’s amend that to “according to some branches of Christianity,” OK?

Joanna

Ah. Well it’s definitely Catholicism anyway.

Falconer

I’m sorry, I don’t follow you. Some Christians accept the doctrine of Original Sin. You seem to think that’s bad (for the record, I agree). This does not seem consistent with thinking that “innocent unborn” is “bullshit.” Do you think that Adam Baldwin is one of those Christians who accept the doctrine of Original Sin?

blitzgal

Oh, and don’t get me started about how the Catholic church didn’t even consider abortion murder until the 19th century anyway! Before then, the consensus was that the fetus didn’t even have a soul until the mother could feel it move inside her (known as “the quickening.”) Laws against abortion in the United States started in the 1840’s and it wasn’t until a few decades later that every state had banned it, which means that it was illegal for just a mere century before it was legalized again. Prior to that it was the domain of midwives. Granted, back then the methods used were not for the faint of heart (some home guides advised women to “receive blows to the belly” or “fall down stairs,” and there were all kinds of toxic concoctions to drink), but they did exist.

Catholicism, for sure. But they also came up with the concept of the Holy Innocents just to get around that problem.

(Still not over Adam Baldwin. Jayne is my favorite character!)

blitzgal

Not Captain Tightpants?!

Creative Writing Student

@blitzgal

See, I liked Jayne as a character. He was a collosal jerk, not too bright but handy with weapons, and rather enjoyable to watch. And he had his moments of ‘sort of a decent person under all the jerk’. (End of Ariel, his relationship with his mother, for example)
The main part of my enjoyment came from the fact that the rest of Serenity’s crew were willing to bring him back into line and that Jayne was frequently the butt of jokes (often as a result of his attitude).

I wouldn’t like Jayne as a person. Although Jayne seems to be fairing slightly better than his actor in this; even if it was because it wasn’t relevant to the plot, Jayne never said that the point of long-term committed romantic/sexual relationships was to breed, and had more respect for the bodily autonomy of others (it’s been a while since I’ve watched Firefly, but I think the worst he did was attempt to flash his genitals at River…)

Joanna

@Falconer: I wasn’t specifically referring to Baldwin but to one of the general pro-life arguments. Coming from a Catholic country, it rubs me the wrong way.

Creative Writing Student

Laws against abortion in the United States started in the 1840′s and it wasn’t until a few decades later that every state had banned it, which means that it was illegal for just a mere century before it was legalized again.

IIRC, that wasn’t even because abortion was bad but because the methods used were really, really dangerous.

blitzgal

Back when I used to do desktops, I made a Jayne wallpaper. Oh, remember the days of 1024×768???

blitzgal

I would believe it. It was also a contentious time between physicians and midwives, feeling out what domain belonged to who, etc.

CWS: Yeah, that’s how I feel about Jayne too.

Seraph

He wasn’t really serious about that. She’d pointed out that Jayne was a girl’s name, and it was apparently a sore spot, because he threatened to prove that he had boy parts.

leftwingfox

Yeah, I was over Adam Baldwin when he went on Big Hollywood to scream about how Sesame Street was evil for being all multicultural and socialist and shit.

Didn’t realize he was related to the other Baldwins, especially considering Alec “MRA” Baldwin, and Stephen “Born Again” Baldwin.

howardbann1ster

Jayne was my favorite too. Bad boys who fight terribly hard against redemption… there’s something that tantalizes me.

Needless to say I wrote an epic Angel/Firefly crossover featuring Spike and Jayne. It just seemed like it needed doing.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Speaking of River, was she going to be developed into a more powerful character over time if the series had continued? I was underwhelmed by her characterisation in the series as it stands, and the movie, in particular because she is in marked contrast to a character like Buffy who was complete butt-kicking.

And, did anyone get into the Dollhouse? I tried to watch the first episode, but it left me confused about the point of the show. I would not have guessed that Dollhouse was from Whedon.

Creative Writing Student

As a rule, I’m better at handling bigoted/asshat ‘heroic’ characters if one of the other heroic characters tells them to shut up when they go too far, and if the asshat faces consequences for their behavior. If the other characters just go along with it then I start worring about the views of the people creating the story.

Joanna

@Kiwi: I imagined River would have been amazing if Firefly continued. She was supposed to be this uber brain and we didn’t really get to see that until near the end of the series.

Dollhouse is actually pretty good, but as with most Whedon series takes a little while to take off. A lot of the first few episodes are very slow and introductory.

I liked that Jayne never got a big moment of revelation where he became a better person. That would be the temptation, but his characterization makes far more sense this way (ie, after Jaynestown, he learns absolutely nothing).

Falconer

@leftwingfox: Adam Baldwin ISN’T related to Alec et al.

@CWS: It’s my recollection of Firefly that Jayne often was called out on his bullshit. I seem to recall for one that Zoe thought the ship could have done without him. And Consequences Were Going to Be Suffered at the end of that one episode if Jayne hadn’t seemingly thought about others (while still kind of thinking about himself).

Y’know, it’s streaming on Netflix. Maybe I better go refresh my memory.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@leftwingfox yeah, the Sesame Street thing is my main association with him. So bizarre.

Re: abortion views in the US: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2012/02/18/the-biblical-view-thats-younger-than-the-happy-meal/

blitzgal

I liked all of the characters on the show in their own way. I have a special fondness for Kaylee, though.

howardbann1ster

Dollhouse is problematic. (there’s that word! Dang!)

Which is to say it deconstructs some tropes by presenting them pretty straight. So along the way you see a lot of women get beaten up by misogynists, and a lot of sexual assault. A LOT.

But there’s Alan Tudyk.

Heh.

Falconer

I was certainly expecting River to turn into something awesome, but then Fox gave the show the axe and Whedon finished up the two biggest threads in the movie, which didn’t leave much time IMO to differentiate River from Buffy in terms of Waif Fu.

Also she was supposed to be psychic, where did she pick up her kung fu?

blitzgal

Ha! Waif Fu!

Falconer

@blitzgal: Kaylee is sweet and cool and she is very sexually fulfilled (at least before the series starts), and I think the series has some points in its favor about womens’ sexuality.

Falconer

@blitzgal: Sadly, not mine.

Deoridhe

I had assumed Afonee was somehow black because of the other name being Juan, so I can’t say I’m surprised to have that belief backed up with evidence, but it does make me very tired. No, fuckwits, racism does not make sexism EVEN BETTER! It makes it worse! Go step on a Lego.

blitzgal

I find Whedon’s feminism problematic at times, for reasons alluded to by howardbann1ster above. It seems to be stuck on the “girl power” side of social justice. Let’s watch hot girls beat people up because they are so strong! And let’s have a realistic depiction of a lesbian relationship, but then rip it away in a completely cliched and retro manner! I feel like in general he falls on the side of being an ally, but is still problematic.

Creative Writing Student

I can see that. It was more an example of comparative douchiness – threatening to flash a young woman with severe neuroatypicalities is less douchey than supporting forced birth in my eyes. I don’t support either activity, but the first is the lesser of two evils.

blitzgal

Aw, Fireflyfans.net have retained a couple of my wallpapers! I forgot all about these:

Kaylee: http://www.fireflyfans.net/bluesunimages/EAFC95413FCEF1DF894EA548EC824797.jpg

Mrs. Reynolds: http://www.fireflyfans.net/bluesunimages/BD83CEEB21F0DE3B45DF2DE7F76A50DF.jpg

Joanna

@Falconer: Not so much psychic, but like really smart. She does Kung Fu with maths I imagine (identifying the human body’s weak spots and calculating the speed and force she needs to exert to kick their ass). In one episode she shoots bad guys from around a corner by calculating the angle the bullets need to hit the walls to ricochet and stuff.

@howard: Yeah, I like to think that Dollhouse was portrayed realistically in that if such a place existed in real life, there would be also people who would take advantage of vulnerable people like the dolls. I know that a lot of tv and film sort of glorify sexual violence but I don’t think Dollhouse was really in the same boat. It really highlighted what bodily autonomy means.

leftwingfox

Falconer: Wtf… I knew that…

*rereads*

What the hell was I thinking when I typed that? It should have been “I was surprised to find out he wasn’t related, especially considering…” Good lord. 🙁

Falconer

Well, I admit I haven’t devoured everything he’s ever done, so I don’t have grounds for saying he is a wonderful feminist.

Deoridhe

I believe River’s eventual style of Waif Fu was hinted at with her history of picking up physical skills very, very quickly. Combine that with her being psychic and all she needs to do is be in the same room with someone who is, say, a crack shot, or a skilled warrior and she will pick up their skills and then replicate them. I would have loved seeing how Whedon would have handled all of that in the series, though. The beginnings in Objects in Space, when she is holding a gun, seeing it as a branch, and says: “It’s just a tool, nothing more” really struck me as the beginning of her coming to terms with things. It captured the sometimes metaphorical effects of hallucinations beautifully, I thought.

Falconer

@Joanna: The movie specifically states River’s psychic, which is why the Operative has to kill everyone.

howardbann1ster

@joanna: the problematic part comes in the execution. There were a lot of really deep things going on, but to a surface watching the misogynist can enjoy the show just as much.

I really love Dollhouse. Some of that is because I was just learning about feminism as I was watching it so some of the ideas struck me at just the right time and space to really get through to me in a way that nothing had before. There were double standards and commodification. The Nice Guy was, it turns out, obsessed in a not-so-nice way and had to change. All these things.

Good stuff. But none of it out in the open.

So… good. But problematic. 😀

Falconer

@leftwingfox: Don’t worry about it, I’m not upset, and I hope I didn’t come across as aggressive.

The problematic aspect of Dollhouse, to me, was that the dollhouse gets romanticized. I get a definite feel of “look how sexy this is and how the dolls are totally in love with their clients and they’re taking such good care of them and Adele cares about them so much.”

Nevertheless, I think it’s a pretty excellent show. May take a few episodes to get into because it starts more like an adventure of the week; I think it gets good when we start seeing more overarching plot.

emmittnervend
emmittnervend

I never knew Adam Baldwin as the dude from Firefly, I knew him as Animal Mother from Full Metal Jacket so finding out what he’s like in real life was actually less of a shocker.

Falconer

@blitzgal: Those are really good desktops.

blitzgal

Yeah, the moment I realized that Xander is a classic “Nice Guy.” 🙁 At least in the early seasons of Buffy.

Joanna

@howard: Yeah, you are probably right there. I can’t entirely remember how the Sierra thing panned out though. Didn’t the guy get in trouble with DeWitt?

howardbann1ster

@joanna: oh, in the end that dude gets killed to death. By a woman. In a totally satisfying twist ending that I didn’t see coming at all. 😀

@blitzgal: there was a thing going on there in the longer storyline where it kind of deconstructed that a little bit–not only did he never ‘get the girl’ but it kind of implied that it was an obsession that nearly ruined the relationships he did end up in–but, again, that’s all implied, while the ‘Nice Guy’ aspects are writ large and most of the fan base doesn’t really notice the deconstruction at all.

It’s like… the writers are trying to get at the darker side of that, but not too hard, in case they scare off fans?

Ellex
Ellex

I have nothing constructive to add to the actual subject of this post. I, too, am disappointed in Adam Baldwin, but I’d heard about his…issues…before, so it wasn’t a surprise.

But I can tell you all that Misha Collins, Jim Beaver and Jared Padalecki of Supernatural are all great guys with entertaining Twitter accounts (just remember that Misha is a huge tease and really means only about 50% of what he actually says; Jim is a single dad whose adoration of his little girl is very evident; Jared is a very silly and enthusiastic person); Nathan Fillion is super nice; and Colin Ferguson of Eureka is just lovely. The fact that Mr Ferguson has actually apologized for using improper grammar and punctuation in his tweets particularly endears him to me.

blitzgal

Yeah, I can see that. Xander is obsessed with Buffy but she doesn’t reciprocate. It still leads him to do some tremendously shitty things like lie about evil Angel and get him killed. But then he does ultimately grow as a character and get past his crush. Although I had some problems with his treatment of Anya, too.

chibigodzilla

Even leaving aside the racism/misogyny, the pit bull thing makes me angry because (a) I have known so many nice pit bulls, and (b) there’s no real science behind it, and (c) people tend to call any dog that attacks someone a pit bull — in fact, most people can’t identify a pit bull when shown pictures of similar breeds.

I have never met a pit bull that wasn’t a total sweetheart. A lot of breeds get unfairly pigeon holed.
My former office mate had a (alleged) pit, total sweetheart. Here she is with an Akita:comment image

Just look at those vicious dogs.

blitzgal

I’m scared of any large dog I don’t know, until I understand their personality. I’ve was nearly mauled by a black lab just walking to the bus to work one morning — the woman walking him and a second lab had zero control of the animals, and was actually laughing as one lunged and snapped at me and chased me up the street, dragging her behind. And in my head I’m trying to calculate if I need to crawl up on a nearby car to get away from it. Ugh. But yeah, any dog can be aggressive and you don’t know, so respect and distance until you do, that’s my motto.

quantumscale
quantumscale

I thought “The Pack” really got into some of Xander’s darker Nice Guy tendencies. But it was just the one episode and it wasn’t “really” him.