a woman is always to blame all about the menz are these guys 12 years old? crackpottery creepy disgusting women domestic violence entitled babies evil sexy ladies evil women friend zone friend zoning girl germs grandiosity incoherent rage men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misandry misogyny MRA oppressed men rape jokes reactionary bullshit reddit spermjacking straw feminists twitter whaaaaa? whores why can't men punch women?

#INeedMasculismBecause nothing is funnier than MRAs sincerely trying to explain their dumb beliefs to the world

MRA Tweet Generating Room
MRA Tweet Generating Room

So: many if not most of you have probably heard about the whole #INeedMasculismBecause thing. For those who aren’t: a bunch of Men’s Rights Redditors and other MRAs, inspired by a post on 4Chan, decided to swarm Twitter with #INeedMasculismBecause tweets in response to the #INeedFeminismBecause hashtag. Feminists responded by outswarming the MRAs, flooding their new hashtag with often quite hilarious parodies of MRAspeak, as well as some just plain ridiculousness.

Today, on r/mensrights, MRAs are surveying the damage in a host of different threads, with some plaintively wondering “why is everyone so hostile towards the idea of men having issues,” and others claiming that the hashtag really “started as a caricature of Men’s Rights, in order to lure out the real life caricatures of Radical Feminism.” Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Jezebel has already chronicled some of the funniest parody tweets. And I was thinking of doing the same. I mean, these are pretty good:

twpa1twpa2twpa4twpa3

Ok, that last one was just a dumb joke about someone ordering a watermelon-flavored drink. I “favorite” a lot of things.

Anyway, catching up on the whole thing last night, I found myself thinking that the parody comments – as funny as some  of them were – couldn’t really compete with the loopiness of the real MRA tweets.

So here are some #INeedMasculismBecause tweets by some of my new favorite Twitter MRAs. (I only started going through these really late last night, so a lot of my examples come from the Indian MRAs who were posting prolifically at the time.)

Let’s start with Average Man, who opened a new Twitter account just for the occasion:

twav3twav4twav5twav2

Uh, maybe they gave you “less marks” because you don’t know the difference between “less” and “lower.”

Alexander shared these somewhat perplexing thoughts:

twal1twal2

The prolific SaveIndianFamilyNGO had all sorts of interesting opinions:

twsi2twsi3twsi4twsi5twsi6twsi7 twsi8twsi9

I found myself often perplexed by wnnbl, but I don’t think his troubles with English were the main problem:

twwn1twwn2twwn4twwn3twwn5joke

I assume these last two are jokes, but honestly, who knows?

I have no idea what Virag was going on about with these tweets:

twvi1

But this one at least was pretty clear:

twvi2

Atit seems to have a rather strange idea of what “equality for men” means:

twat1

Warrior for Justice also doesn’t seem to like women very much:

twwf1twwf2

Martin Clausen ramped up his largely dormant Twitter account to post these gems:

twmc1twmc2twmc3twmc4

I don’t quite know what to make of Jackson here, but he seems to be a real MRA.

twjk1twjk2

This is just a theory, but maybe women look at you strangely when you pick up your kids because of that uncontrollable boner you mentioned earlier?

twjk3twjk4

MRAs show once again that they’re beyond parody — or at least indistinguishable from it.

kittehserf

“after being asked what country Connecticut is in”

O_o

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I get being asked what country Maine is in, as my parents were when they traveled, but Connecticut?

Then again, I have a New Englander’s perspective on the USA. Obviously folks from other parts of the country will have different ones…

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I was once asked if Scotland was in England when I was in Texas. Them’s fighting words to a Scot.

hellkell
hellkell

Given the state of education in TX, I’m not surprised you were asked that.

kittehserf

Yeah, my aunt used to get “You speak very good English!” when she visited in the 70s.

Heh – just told Mum about Connecticut etc, and she said “America’s called the policeman of the world, but how do they find any of those other countries?”

bagelsan
bagelsan

Funny story, I’m convinced that’s how we accidentally ended up in Iraq…

Argenti Aertheri

emilygoddess — idk about elsewhere, and time wise, but the woman who asked would be maybe 40 now, and idk about there, but I know I had to learn all 50 states!

Is Scotland in England XD

We have issues with England v UK.

Kitteh — with computer guided missiles. The computer has maps after all (that is half a joke, and half me being bitter)

Argenti Aertheri

Nawh, we were aiming for Iraq, cuz WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION (were nowhere to be found)

We could claim that’s how we missed crossing the border into Pakistan though.

cloudiah

kittehs, Your mom has a good sense of humor. We should let her whack a troll around one of these days. 😀

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I also got asked if we had television and running water. I mean, I know parts of Scotland are a bit remote, but come on.

Also we have constantly running water. We like to call it “rain”.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Gonna be in Scotland next week!!!
/Random bragging only slightly related to the topic at hand.

pecunium

viscaria: Am jelly. What part of Scotland?

Argenti Aertheri

“We like to call it “rain”.”

Far less minerals. Idk about for humans, probably moot for us, but it’s far saver for carnivorous plants (oh, right, pecunium if the cutting survives it’ll need rainwater, distilled, or RO, rain is, obviously, the least obnoxious and cheapest option
[if not…dear gods does that thing grow! I’m sure it’ll seed soon enough])

Viscaria
Viscaria

We’re doing a bus tour, so all over! Mostly the Highlands. Pretty much can’t express how excited I am 😀

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

You’re taking lots of hats and gloves, right? It gets really cold once you get up into the Highlands.

Also take a good camera, because it’s gorgeous.

Viscaria
Viscaria

We will layer! The weather doesn’t look to be much chillier than it will be here, though.

Bf loves photography and spent more on his camera than I have spent on my last two computers, so I’ll be leaving the serious shooting to him. I’ve got my little iPhone and that’s enough for me!

thebionicmommy

Wow. They had probably watched Braveheart and thought it took place in present day Scotland.

I did, too, in the song Fifty Nifty United States. It was a catchy way to learn all 50 states in alphabetical order. I used to have all the capitals memorized but I’ve gotten rusty on them.

“Fifty nifty United States from thirteen original colonies/Fifty nifty stars on the flag that billows so beautifully in the breeze…”

Boy are you taking me back.

thebionicmommy

@Katz,

It was a classic. I also learned a song listing the US Presidents in chronological order. That song has come in handy many times for Jeopardy! questions.

cloudiah

That song has come in handy many times for Jeopardy! questions.

You must have to sing it really fast to answer in time. 🙂

thebionicmommy

I only have to sing fast enough to get to the correct answer, not all the way to Obama. The answers are usually between James Madison and Grover Cleveland.

I suppose Yakko’s World was a little after your time? People my age definitely learned from that one.

thebionicmommy

I watched Animaniacs when I was a teenager. It was a great show. That countries of the world video is such a fun way to learn.

But I learned another version of the President’s song, in a middle school music class.

I was too self-conscious to watch cartoons when I was a teenager; now I’m like “Fuck it, cartoons are awesome” XD

kittehserf

@bagelsan (nice to see you posting again, btw!)

Funny story, I’m convinced that’s how we accidentally ended up in Iraq…

Nah, this was why.

@cloudiah – if Mum knew how to use a computer! 😀 I think we’d be way to sweary for her, though.

@Cassandra:

Also we have constantly running water. We like to call it “rain”.

Boss: “If you can see the hills, it’s about to rain, and if you can’t see the hills, it’s raining.” (Old joke.)

@Viscaria – envy envy envy! I’d love to go back to Scotland. Are you going to Urquhart Castle? If you are, be prepared to get blown off your feet! It was incredibly windy there.

@thebionicmommy:

Gah. When I was there in 2000, some USians were going on about how great that film was. I said something to the shop assistant about not having seen it and not intending too. “Oh, we like it here,” she said serenely. “It’s a great comedy.”

thebionicmommy

I am not surprised that a Mel Gibson movie wouldn’t get the highest grade for historical accuracy. I enjoyed watching the movie, but that’s probably because I’m in the US and know very little about the real William Wallace. When I watched it, I had a crush on Mel Gibson, but now that I know what about his racism, sexism, and antisemitism, I no longer find him attractive.

kittehserf

I hated everything I read about it from the get-go. First, for his screaming homophobia directed at Edward II; second, for having Wallace and Isabella of France having an affair (she was TEN when Wallace was executed) and third, for that woad-wearing fuckwittery.

thebionicmommy

Disney made Pocahontas older, too, so she could be a love interest for John Smith. I guess movies makers don’t want young girl characters. They have to make them into adult women in order to add sex appeal.

thebionicmommy

Sorry I goofed up my blockquotes.

kittehserf

Ugh, I didn’t know that. Haven’t seen that pic, either. And her all of twelve …

Not that you’d recognise John Smith from his oh-so-handsome Disney version, either.

thebionicmommy

Woah, I had no idea the real John Smith looked like that. My mental image was the Disney one. Big difference! But I guess regular looking people don’t make the cut for being a Disney prince or princess.

Off topic, but I haven’t been able to find the 20/20 Elam interview yet. If anyone ever finds it, let me know because I think will be fun to watch.

kittehserf

I know – imagine what he’d have looked like if they’d tried to Disney-draw him middle aged and smothered in wiry beard! 😀

thebionicmommy

In a way, it’d be nice, and not just for the historical accuracy. At least that would show that older people are also very attractive, not just 20 year olds that look like underwear models.

kittehserf

Very good point! Though I’ve just checked, and Smith wasn’t as old as I thought, going from that pic: he was 37.

Be even better if they’d also shown Pocahontas at her age, and not turned it into a romance. Gods know she was young enough when she married, but it wasn’t that young.

Interesting that the whole episode may never have happened, or at least been exaggerated:

“In 1860 Boston businessman and historian Charles Deane was the first scholar to question specific details of Smith’s writings. Smith’s version of events is the only source and skepticism has increasingly been expressed about its veracity. One reason for such doubt is that, despite having published two earlier books about Virginia, Smith’s earliest-surviving account of his rescue by Pocahontas dates from 1616, nearly 10 years later, in a letter entreating Queen Anne to treat Pocahontas with dignity.[16] The time gap in publishing his story raises the possibility that Smith may have exaggerated or invented the event to enhance Pocahontas’s image. However, in a recent book, Professor J. A. Leo Lemay of the University of Delaware points out that Smith’s earlier writing was primarily geographical and ethnographic in nature and did not dwell on his personal experiences; hence there was no reason for him to write down the story until this point.[17]”

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smith_%28explorer%29

The popular media also turned Henry VIII into this, so there you have it.

kittehserf

One of many reasons I didn’t watch that series! Sulky pretty boy in trousers: Henry VIII, not.

Even the so-called documentaries fuck up majorly when they insist on having reenactments.

Argenti Aertheri

I…but…he’s…

Wasn’t Henry VIII a red head?!

And speaking of Henrys, the prince apparently yoinked his mic at some event because ICE CREAM TRUCK! I have no primary, or even good secondary, source for this, so apply salt(ed ice cream)

pecunium

I think the best, “popular” image of Henry VIII is the portrayal in the film version of, “A Man For All Seasons” (which is a splendiforous film and one everybody of wit should watch).

It catches the light hearted boy, whom he was, as he is turning into the jaded man he became.

kittehserf

A baby that young getting excited about an ice cream truck?

They’re bringing him up right. 😀

Yup, Henry VIII’s a redhead, same as his father. It’s why Elizabeth I made such a thing of her red hair.

kittehserf

I saw Man for All Seasons when I was at high school, on telly. Can’t remember much except the scene when Henry arrives at More’s place, jumps off the barge and lands in the mud. He’s standing there staring at his wrecked shoes and everyone else has gone Really Quiet. Then he laughs, and of course all the courtiers laugh and jump in the mud too.

Oh, and the title music. I can still hear that.

My favourite rendition of Henry, seen when I was younger still, was Keith Michell’s in The Six Wives of Henry VIII. Far from accurate, some of those plays, but I’ve still a soft spot for them. Fell totally for Anne Boleyn after seeing Dorothy Tutin play her, and I still can’t get over how like Archbishop Cranmer Bernard Hepton looked. Mum once looked at the most famous portrait of Cranmer and thought it was Hepton.

kittehserf

Also, for anyone who’s only seen renditions of Catherine of Aragon as an older woman: this is a portrait of her when she was young.

Argenti Aertheri

No, the wee one’s uncle!

Argenti Aertheri

Er, Harry. A mistake I perpetually make (and this is how you know I’m American!)

Oh, the current red-headed Prince Hal! 😀

Cry Harry for God, England and St George ice cream!

A Man for All Seasons is lovely, although even without any particularly large interest in English history, I suspect it’s biased rather strongly.

kittehserf

Actually I stuffed up much more – the baby’s George Alexander Louis.

::collapes in confusion::

😀

kittehserf

katz – yes, iirc (not to be taken for granted today! 😛 ) it is.

mildlymagnificent

I also got asked if we had television and running water.

Hah! Along with the “going to school on a kangaroo’s back” and the drop bear stories, I remember my girls laughing themselves sick over their US friends asking whether we had banks in Australia. There was also some confusion over whether Australian girls got periods like American girls do. I realise these kids were only middle school, but how strange do they really think the world is beyond their borders?

pecunium

The thing about A Man For All Seasons is that it’s bias isn’t all in all, that strong. The core story is fairly faithful and the aspects of the stage show which were biased, were lost in the transition to film.

Henry, for reasons of State, treated More badly, and More knew for what it was he was giving himself up to martyrdom. That the reasons he did it translate so well to the modern mind are more artefacts of the present than they are “ultimate truths”, but they resonate.

kittehserf

Oh lord yes, kangaroos. First time in London, some young USian bloke on the Tube asks if I know good places to hang out. I told him no, I’m a tourist too. Then he wanted to know if I see kangaroos around. “In the zoo,” I told him.

mildlymagnificent – that one about the periods makes me roll my eyes so hard. It reminds me of a bit in Ghost Story that’s is pretty much Turn of the Screw meets Deliverance, set in the 1920s/30s. There’s a kid in it who’s been told, and firmly believes, that there isn’t anything else except the US; there’s no place where people don’t speak American, and that the world only extends a few miles out of the hamlet where he lives. Granted the character is – what’s the preferred term now, developmentally delayed? – but every time I hear stories like yours, I’m reminded of this.