antifeminism contraception crackpottery ladies against women misogyny reactionary bullshit sex women in combat

The Thinking Housewife: Women in combat means women using … BIRTH CONTROL! Eek!

No, seriously, this band is called Birth Control.
No, seriously, this band is called Birth Control.

Unsurprisingly, our old friend “The Thinking Housewife” is aghast at the notion of women serving in combat. What is a little surprising is why. In one of her many recent posts on the subject she offers this unique take on the subject:

There are so many unexamined consequences of the full integration of women into the military that one barely knows where to start, but one of the obvious places is with the fact that the Armed Forces will be increasingly in the business of population control.

Yes, that’s right: women in combat means women using birth control. The horror!

You see, women who are nine momths pregnant can’t exactly serve on the front lines. So that means the military is going to have to get in the business of helping its women soldiers avoid becoming pregnant.

In addition to providing rations and equipment, troops in combat will need ample supplies of contraceptives — and under this mentality, it will be the military’s responsibility to prevent pregnancy. Given that pregnancies can be, even in the best of circumstances, “unintended,” a woman who becomes pregnant on tour after her unit runs out of birth control pills or condoms will now have cause to blame the military for her offspring’s existence. We will almost certainly see women suing the Army for damages after “unintended” pregnancy. And as a consequence, the military will need to become more and more involved in the effective sterilization of their female troops.

Um, what? Sterilization? When women stop using birth control, they can become pregnant. Heck, they can become pregnant while still using birth control. Calling female birth control “sterilization” is a bit like calling a condom a vasectomy.

She ends her piece with this doozy:

As I said before, women don’t join the military as equals of men in order to defend their country. They join it to destroy their country.  An egalitarian military must embrace socially destructive ideals. What can be more emblematic of our times than a military unit equipped with guns to destroy the enemy and contraceptives to destroy future soldiers?  We have lost both the will to fight and the will to live.

Time to pull out the Don Draper “what?” gif again.

Actually, I don’t think that will be adequate to convey the sheer WTFery of that conclusion. I’m pulling out the big guns this time.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Starla — it’s standard conservative Christine propaganda — the pill will (in their minds) prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, and since the soul is present the moment sperm meets egg, that’s abortion, and abortion is murder, so taking the pill is murder. This BS generally goes hand in hand with the idea that anyone having sex outside marriage is a horrible vile promiscuous sinner who deserves to be punished, since they can’t exercise self-control and just give in to “the lusts of the flesh”. Oh and birth control, at all, is preventing god from giving you all the babies he wants to (may or may not be her belief, but is part of what’s behind putting unintended in quotes — having sex? Intend to make a zygote = embryo = fetus = baby)

In plain English — once you have sex outside marriage you’ll fuck anything you can, you’re bound to get pregnant since you’re having sex, and the pill is abortion. And since you aren’t making babies, but are having sex, you’re “effectively sterile”.

And this is why the not-an-ex and I joke that it’s a miracle I don’t burst into flames in church (pun utterly intended)

On the best of days, this sort is all “but honey, you’re preventing gods will by preventing those children from ever existing” and the rest of us nod and sile and back away slowly.

lowquacks
lowquacks

Aren’t US armed forces already in the business of population control?

@Kittehhelp

I’m left-handed, with my one aunt left-handed and my one uncle ambidextrous but very little other lefthandedness in the family. I just use right-handed scissors left-handed personally.

Only things I do right-handed are shotput, which I haven’t done in ages, and playing instruments. The handed instruments I play necessitate this to some extent – while I could put my hands on the bagpipe the other way around and throw it over the other shoulder a la Rufus Harley, it’d be trickier to learn from copying others and an absolute nuisance in a pipe band.

Left-handed guitars are expensive and tricky to find, and while it’s possible to just flip a right-handed guitar over (Dick Dale being the most famous player to do this) this fucks up most chords in standard tuning. Restringing a righty guitar upside-down works too, but nut carvings and cutaways and knobs and output jacks will all be in inconvenient places.

I used to be able to eat with a knife and fork right-handed, but I’ve lost that ability through lack of practice. It’s probably poor form to switch your cutlery around in a formal setting but if I’m ever in one of those those around me can just deal with it.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@lowquacks, both my parents were right handers who ate left handed, so they raised my brother and I to eat left handed too. I just swap the cutlery around when I sit down. Occasionally I get someone say “oh, you eat left handed” but in the main nobody bats an eyelid. I also appreciate wait staff who notice this, then set later places for me as left handed.

I have also played around with chopsticks, and I think I am left handed for chopsticks also. That would explain the very hard time I had previously trying to eat them right-handed. As my RSI was right arm, I had put it down to loss of sensation, but as the damage dissipated and I still found chopsticks awkward, I think I have a strong left handed preference.

lowquacks
lowquacks

lowquacks
lowquacks

That sounds lovely! Never had that happen; I’d say my own family only remember perhaps 4/5 of the time if someone else is setting the table. Funnily enough, drinks on the right don’t put me off at all and I’ll actually move mine there if it’s not there – drinks on the right and bread on the left’s a trickier one to switch around so I guess I’ve just had that one drilled into me.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Also, I’m glad I don’t have lead in my face paint.

I am also glad that I don’t have lead in my face paint.

Wait a minute…where’s my face paint?!

Oh right, I don’t have any. Thank goodness. I hear there’s lead in that stuff.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“Don’t some large percentage of fertilised human eggs never plant birth control or no, anyway? Wouldn’t most pumping-out-babies true Good Married Christian Women have done that quite a few times?”

Yeah but that’s gods plan you see, since humans aren’t interfering *bangs head off computer stand*

Re: hands — my mother and brother are lefties, and I’m just plain weird — I write rightie but can write passably well leftie, shoot guns rightie and bows leftie (do you have any idea how hard it is to find a decent left handed bow?!) and the idea of trying to play violin the other way around is making my head hurt!

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

I can play this god’s (gods’) plan game too: if god(s) didn’t want birth control to be a thing, it would have prevented the invention. QED.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Sounds like you’re cross-dominant, Argenti (a term I rather like).

Poncho
Poncho

Women can already get birth control down range. Units just prefer that enough be brought with to last as long as possible as supplies are limited.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Kitteh — I’m not touching that right now, go see the abused women thread, I’ll get to that when my mind removes itself from the gutter!

Kiwi Girl — that’s pretty much my take on it, yeah.

melody

I don’t think I’m that much younger than you, Kitteh’s. My experiences are from the 1970′s.

I’m a 1990s baby……………….

Jealous. My own aunts/uncles forget I’m a vegetarian. I know I’ve only been a vegetarian for 8 years, but you think they would remember because of all the family events I go to.

What you could do to make “blondes” much rarer than they are today is for random mating to take over–there would be the sample percentage of blonde alleles in the population, but since most of the world’s population doesn’t carry it, they would not meet up very often. Currently, people usually have children with someone of the same ethnicity, which means that alleles that are more common in one meet up more often than under true random mating.

My parents and myself are brunettes and my brother is blonde. Meanwhile, my brother and my parents both have more olive skin and I am super pale skinned. My parents both had brown eyes and my brother has green and I have blue. Both my parents are under 5’7”. My brother is 6’2” and I am 5’9”. Genes do odd things.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@melody I’m a strict vegetarian as well. I raise an eyebrow at these days for people who panic if I’m coming to lunch or dinner because they don’t know what to serve me. I laugh internally as it makes them sound like they’re carnivores. 🙂

scarlettpipistrelle

The American anthropologist, Loren Eiseley, once wrote an essay about seeing a woman in modern time who had distinctly Neanderthal features. I once sat in college history class with such a woman – she even had a brow ridge. I would have estimated her IQ as around 140-150, too.

melody

@kiwi girl
Truth. They seem to complicate serving a vegetarian.
Most people don’t eat entirely meat for a meal.
I once had a friend who thought I couldn’t eat spaghetti because of the meat sauce.I was like you don’t HAVE to put meat in the sauce……

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Argenti, I see what you mean! 😀

And now I’m thinking of Inigo and Westley with their left-handed right-handed duel … hmmm. (Thing I like best about that scene is that they quote real Renaissance sword masters.)

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Kittehs

Read up on the cross-dominant thing and think that might be me. I’m definitely right-footed and favour my right eye. I’ve never shot a gun but couldn’t imagine firing a pistol with anything but my left hand, but the reverse for a rifle or any other gun with a stock.

Creative Writing Student

My grandfather is Leftie Pride Man. He got very excited about discovering that my boyfriend is left-handed.

I have a weird relationship with my hand dominance. I am extremely right dominant to the extent of having an almost useless left hand (mostly gripping and hitting the shift key) but I keep trying to use right-handed stuff on my right hand but holding them in a way that would suit my left hand. I only realised I’d been doing this fairly recently when wrapping boyfriend’s birthday presents and wow does paper cut neater when you’re holding the scissors properly. 😛

The discussion of ‘redhead extinction’ reminds me of a photo I saw some time ago. I think it was of a group of Australian Aboriginies but I can’t exactly remember. They had flaming ginger hair. It was a really striking combination. There’s also the rare chance that if you get twins born to two mixed-race people (of the same or similar mix) then the children look like they’re from two different ethnicities. Human genetics are really interesting.

Starla
Starla

@kitteh
Sorry, I didn’t realize it was offensive.

@argenti
It’s funny how those very same people complain about all the starving children on welfare and such in the same breath. The fact that the idea that the pill is an abortion is so weird, considering a woman’s uterus naturally rejects fertilized eggs all the time with our without the pill. In fact, the uterus rejects LESS fertilized eggs when a woman is using the pill. I read it in an article on it a while back on a woman’s change of heart from pro-life to pro-choice that was very informative and inspiring but I don’t know where to find it now.

Starla
Starla

I meant to type it’s weird that the idea of birth control being an abortion is so prevalent. My bad

Dvärghundspossen

Okay, trying to remember basic biology from the science program in high school…. Skin colour is polygenetically inherited, which means that it does work a bit like “blending”. In a completely non-racist, non-discriminatory world where colour of skin had NO impact on one’s choice of mate (nowadays it has so at least indirectly – if you’re white, for instance, you’re more likely to meet lots of white people at school, work etc, which means you’re more likely to marry and have kids with someone white), most people would end up sort of medium-brown, and being really light-skinned or really dark-skinned would become very rare (although not non-existent).

Blue eyes would pop up regularly, although it would be rarer than today, since it’s caused by a single recessive gene. Get that gene from both mum and dad and you become blue-eyed. In this imaginary non-racist society blue eyes would be overall less common than it is today, but there would be more people who had the combination of brown skin and blue eyes (that’s very, very rare today, although it does exist). And the same would, I think, go for blonde and red hair, if the above comments are right, and they’re caused by recessive genes?

Although, as someone already said, IF it were the case that blonde hair and blue eyes went extinct – SO WHAT? If someone thinks it looks pretty, use coloured contacts and hair bleach.

Tina
Tina

Starla and all: “I’m not trying to be narrow-minded, but I can’t believe this chick is a woman…is it possible to be fully matured and not have a damn clue how your own body works?”

Yes, I am raising my hand. Ignorance, foolishness, stupidity maybe. No, not stupidity. More like wishful thinking or fantasy thinking. I don’t have the words to explain it but I’m “it”. It’s a bitch to get past and I make a complete fool and ass of myself more often than not. But I’m learning and it’s better than having my head in the clouds.

blitzgal

So, back in the 90’s when I was in college, feminists talked about how the Right was going to go after contraceptives next, after abortion. And they got laughed at for saying it, because how ridiculous is that — we’re going to argue about an issue that’s been settled for over forty years???

And here we are, in 20-fucking-12 (now ’13), talking about the morality of a medication that 95% of American women use. It’s mind-boggling. And I’m just waiting for the lawsuit that makes it up to the Supreme Court level and takes out Griswold v Connecticut, because you know that shit is coming.

Myoo
Myoo

Contraceptives to destroy future soldiers?

Myoo
Myoo
leftwingfox

On unrealistic expectations of women soldiers…

I was playing Dwarf Fortress this weekend, and bemoaning the fact that most of my useful military dwarves kept getting knocked up. Due to the wonky programming of the game, dwarf women are not affected by the pregnancy at all, but will carry their baby everywhere for the first couple years.

Even into combat.

This insane scenario is more likely to happen than America failing due to more women soldiers on contraception.

pecunium

Catholics (like evangelicals) are a mixed lot. The Church’s position on the subject is confused (and confounded by the second order effects of Ex cathedra [which the Jesuits, in their role as theologians to the Pope said would {among other ill-effects} happen]).

The official position of the Church is that rhythm is the only sanctioned method of BC, outside medical necessity. This is not, however, an infallible teaching. Recent Encyclicals have weakened even that (by saying sex is more than just procreative, and is a good and wonderful thing, in it’s own right: inside of marriage).

On Abortion it’s more strident, but still not infallible. The public morality of the US Curia variable on the issue. When Kerry was running a stink was made about his votes on abortion. His bishop said that if Kerry brought himself to the rail he was going to administer the Eucharist, because Kerry was the only one who could know what he believed. Kerry had made the “render unto Caesar” argument: i.e. he voted in accord with the law, and left it to others to decide for themselves.

Scalia’s views on the death penalty (which is at least as strongly opposed by the Church) are different. He has made personal (not judicial) statements saying how much he approves of it. That means he ought to be counseled by his priest/bishop. He hasn’t been. (no, I’m not angry about this at all. Not in the least. Grrrrrr).

The majority of US Catholics use “artificial” birth control. A strong plurality of priests seems to not care. Abortion is trickier, but even that is far from monolithic (and that’s in the US. In Europe it’s even moreso).

The US public religious culture is, across the board, toxic. To be involved in public religion is to be hauled into any number of polarising debates (Israel, Abortion, Conformity), which are anathema to a pluralistic and tolerant society.

pecunium

shigekuni: I get the first half, it’s a standard right wing way to frame discussions of the armed forces etc. But how do we get from there to instantly losing the will to live too?

All those women who are getting killed, are (even when they don’t get killed) being sterilised, ergo White Christians will be wiped out.

Never mind that not more than a fraction of 1 percent of the nation is in the military at one time. Never mind that not all of them are white. Never mind that not all of them are women. Never mind that not all of them are Christian. Never mind that some get pregnant while in the military.

Never mind all that.

Because the real problem is that women are going to be able (yet again) to show themselves just as capable as men, and it will undermine her* campaign to keep women subjected to male authority (Cassie, that is a function of patriarchy, and it’s oppression; even though she says it’s because she cares about the women not getting hurt. In fact because she says it’s not about them getting hurt. She wants to deny them agency. That’s oppressive)

*and all the rest of the misogynist morons, Meller I mean you.

pecunium

lowquacks: I do have a very fancy fife I inherited and barely learnt to play, which I guess I could just flip upside-down and learn, but it’s got some similarity in fingering to the bagpipe and my primary school recorder days so it’d be trickier.

Your fife should have no problem reversed. The fingering is a lot more straightforward than recorder or bagpipes. There isn’t any cross-fingering in the home key until the second octave. I really need to get back to work on the pipes.

pecunium

The worst (from a shooter’s POV) cross-dominant situation is to have the hand/eye be different. This is the real reason people have a hard time switching hands (it’s worse with rifles). I’m moderately ambidexterous in lots of things, but I have almost no ability to tell my left eye to dominant when aiming.

If I want to do that I have to close my right (I shoot with both eyes open), which has it’s own disruptions to the process.

Wetherby
Wetherby

One of my kids is ginger, the other is left-handed. Both of which are fine by me.

I’m not ginger, though a grandmother was, so I’m clearly a carrier.

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

Hm. I had a sip of coffee and I’ve been staring at this entry for a bit. Few things pop up:

Most bits of “color” are poly genetic. I forget the exact term, sadly, but they’re also poly genetic and mixable, as “Flaming Red” is really more like a final phenotype result of… X amount of varying genes that then finally end up with red, because they all add a bit
That’s why people all look so very different (No shit, Fibi)
Incidentally, that’s also why different things are attractive and why fashion exists – there’s a huge range of expression, and anyone who goes “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” have clearly never really thought about it, what with the sheer number of possible shades of “blond” to begin with. Also, what about the gentlemen that prefer swarthy, swedish sailors? With red hair?
Hogwash.

Secondly, I’v always wondered about ideal that “Women Can’t Do Combat”, and perhaps pecunium [You seem to/definitively do know more about armed services] can get at where that comes from? I mean – no, I get the “Ha ha, they are inferior”, but it just seems to me that if women -are- inferior, weak and stupid why not send them to the front lines so they can die to protect the clearly “Superior” others. Since that doesn’t happen, since no one says it and since the idea is abhorrent, then what? Does it just boil down to that icky, underlying trend you can read in Thinking Housewife’s writing (“Babies babies babies!”)? Because that’s misogyny, yes. And if it’s the other way around, women are too preciouuuusss to risk and swarthy, manly swedish sailors must don the llamar armor and stride forth, then Housewifey (and Spearhead) are indirectly saying that dying is apparently preferable to any sort of female thing…. how nice.

I’ll tell you why I know soldiers, who happen to be female, kick ass. I signed up for the intelligence services once. The thing I applied for was one of the hardest branches possible. Not the most complex education in the country (space neurosurgeon wins that every time) but certainly one of, if not the, hardest in terms of sheer material, level and expected final degree of competence. Not to mention it being a 2½ year thing, so everything you’d normally do over 6 years had been boiled down. Needless to say, I did not get in. Who did, though? Well first of all, out of the approximately 100 candidates, 72 were female (So the female instructor told us). Secondly, out of the <100 new aspirants, the ones that got accepted were also female in the majority that year.
Not because of Magic Vagina Powers, but because they demonstrated (in the three day psych interview) the skillset and mental fortitude required for the job. Anecdotes the lot of it, though, so this won't convince anyone who doesn't already know.

"Hilariously" ,on the trainride home again, I ended up next to two people having a discussion about how weak women were compared to men. The Universe is funny sometimes.

So my final conclusion: You only think "females" are useless as soldiers and will require "extra care" because of "Any stupid, shortsighted reason" until you actually think for a second about the fact that men and women have been killing each other for literally our entire existence as a species – oh, and when your argument then is "This isn't real equality until they have 20 % of the deaths, too!" you… should probably just stop. If it's "What can be more emblematic of our times than a military unit equipped with guns to destroy the enemy and contraceptives to destroy future soldiers?" you aren't even wrong. You're in another universe, floating freely, associating with nothing of the same basic understanding, sense and coherency of statements that we, in this neighboring province of reality, can understand or relate too. Your fractal wrongness has pulled in on itself at some twisted corner of its core, and if we were all so inclined, we could use the sheer Wrong in your sentence to tap into Things That Should Not Be and finally, speak in technocolour and listen to the whalesong of the Far Stars.

Hogwash, is what I'm getting at.

pecunium

And, as an amusement, before I head to work… today would have been the day I could retire from the Army. It was about this time of day, 20 years ago, I raised my hand at the LA MEPS and took the oath.

Hard to believe it’s been that long.

Falconer

Yeah, Obama’s a leftie, I just double checked!

So was Clinton!

Falconer

Hard to believe it’s been that long.

I was still trying to figure out how to talk to girls and wondering why it seemed so hard, 20 years ago. Eighth grade.

Where does the time go?

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Fibinachi: I am now wondering about the topological properties of MRA thought processes. 😛

whataboutthemoonz

Ginger is a mutation. It’s totally possible to have medium brown skin and ginger hair and maybe blue eyes.

Amnesia
Amnesia

@leftwingfox
I tried playing some of the Virtual Villagers games recently, but I got so annoyed with how useless they made women after giving birth. They don’t do anything other than take care of the baby for the first year. It’s especially trying in the second game, where there are only two adults looking after a bunch of kids (only one of them who can actually do any work). The tutorial tells me to get one of the workers pregnant, and I’m all, “You expect me to do without my only scavenger/builder/scientist for an entire year just to make another mouth to feed when we can’t even keep enough food coming in as is? Hells to the no.”

Niveau
Niveau

@Starla: if you ever want to find that article again, I’m almost entirely certain it’s Libby Anne’s post from Love, Joy, Feminism called something along the lines of “How I Lost Faith in the Pro-Life Movement”. I`d link to it but cheap crappy phone is both cheap and crappy.

titianblue
titianblue

Well we know that our family has the ginger gene ‘cos both my younger nephew and I are redheads. Tempted to see which particular mutation, though…

And just to confuse things, Mum’s a leftie, Dad’s a rightie. My brother writes with his left hand but sews and uses scissors with his right. I write with my right but sew and use scissors with my left.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

@Amnesia

I started playing that exact game the other week. We all died within half a hour.

leftwingfox

Amnesia: Haven’t tried those yet, actually.

Dwarven biology is the opposite. The birth is marked by cancelling whatever job they were doing just long enough to pick of the child, then they go right about their business. I just wish they had a place to put the kid before entering combat, instead of using the little bundle of joy as an ablative meat shield.

Last thing you want in that game is one of your legendary, heavily armed soldiers go mad with grief over the death of their child and turn those skills against their fellow dwarves. Hell, I lost half a fortress once to an angry unarmed potter.

It’s funny that you can’t set up a nursery or designated area to put kids in DF. Lord knows you can set up a designated spot for everything else.

I think it’s a poor mechanic that dwarves bonding and forming relationships is essentially a bad thing. It needs to have benefits to outweigh the consequences of a beloved dwarf dying.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Flooding the fort with mostly-useless children isn’t enough of a benefit for you, katz? Tsk, tsk.

Married dwarves at least get children, but dwarves who are friends get fuck-all.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Thanks Starla. 🙂

Falconer

The last time I played Dwarf Fortress, I got a map that had all kinds of gold veins on it, but no iron.

All right, you think, just make golden trade goods and buy all the iron you need, and bob’s your uncle.

Turns out the game’s difficulty ramps up according to the value of everything you’ve produced so far….

So, in addition to the hand-holding and the actual lack of control over the dwarfs, I stopped playing DF. Probably I will go back to it at some point, when time has fogged memory and I start to think, hey, it wasn’t all that bad.

leftwingfox

Ayup. Heck I only started playing it again myself because of the one hour time limit on the open beta for a… similarly themed game I was otherwise involved in this weekend. (Stupid NDA)

leftwingfox

Oh, and absolutely amen on the relative disadvantage of relationships in DF. Sometimes I think the real joy of the game is as an Unintended Consequence Generator for the developer. “Ok, let’s make the bodies react to heat, let’s make this the temperature scale, whoops, left out a 0… now dwarf fat melts in the rain.”

Hrovitnir

Hi again, peeps. TTH does my head in so I just dove straight into the comments here. 😛 Left handedness! Interesting! Must be very irritating – the thing that stuck out to me was a woman ordering a product for us explaining in frustration how much ring binders suck for left handed people. Oh man, I had never thought of that!

I am strongly left-eye dominant. When I first shot a rifle right handed I suuuucked. I was not happy. 😛 When I learnt archery and they got me to shoot left handed I was pretty good. This followed on to rifles later. Phew! Along with that I learnt to fight (muay thai) left handed, basically as an experiment on my coach’s part, and it’s awesome I must say though my left kicks will never be my strength. I also used to play left forward in football (so shoot goals from the left), and didn’t have strong opinions either way on snowboarding left vs right footed. So I do some things naturally lefty yet I am definitely right handed.

I don’t think playing keyboards is related to being ambidextrous, it’s just part of the challenge. I have played piano since I was 5, but it hasn’t made me any better at fine motor skills on the left hand side for anything *but* piano. 😀

My partner is fairly strongly right handed, yet when he was little he distinctly remembered writing with his left and right hands, and being made to choose. He was indifferent, so they got him to write right handed.