kitties off topic

Head-clearing Weekend

Sometimes I just can’t bring myself to look at MRA bullshit. I’ll be back tomorrow. In the meantime, kittens.

CassandraSays

Oh, do I ever have an adorable animal video for you (with bonus kid).

Meh, wrong link.

cloudiah

I am sympathizing with the head clearing because my head — specifically my sinuses — are filled with crap. (TMI!) And I’d STILL rather have this crap that’s in my head than have MRAs in my head.

I watched a bit of that Dr. Phil show, and I was surprised at how good it was. Not that it was good, it was just so much better than I expected out of a daytime talk show. That MRA guest, though — I just KNEW at some point he’d pull out a fedora.

Cassandra, I hope the person who spewed that “rich dim ditzes” remark was at least just a commenter rather than the author of the post. 🙁

Back to tea, honey, and lemon, and maybe another nap.

CassandraSays

Can I make a recommendation in terms of head-clearing? I find that Traditional Medicinals teas can help a lot, especially Breathing Thyme and Cold Care.

And yeah, a commenter, and zie was angry, but the thing is, I tend to think that the things that people blurt out when they’re upset and not self-censoring are what the really believe on a deeper level. And the idea of feminists believing that when women do hurtful things to themselves because of social pressure that means the women are stupid and shallow is depressing.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Cassandra:

I was occasionally called a slut by other girls when I was still a virgin and had never even kissed a boy, just because I had big boobs at a young age (this is a thing that happens a lot to girls who develop early).

This is kind of what I was trying to say as far as a girl just having a body being a punishable offense, if someone decides it’s the wrong kind of body.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

There’s another thing I despise about MRAs. They’re making people laugh at fedora wearers.

CassandraSays

I thought fedoras were a pretentious hipster thing rather than an MRA thing?

cloudiah

A fedora used to be a perfectly respectable hat…

Any of those teas good for a sore throat/cough? That’s what’s killing me today.

cloudiah

My cat just meowed to get my attention and then when I looked over at her she very deliberately pushed my bound copy of my thesis off the table and onto the floor. Like, I think it has flaws too, Buster, but that wasn’t very nice. I’m pretty sure she didn’t even read it first.

CassandraSays

For a sore throat the one you’d want is called Throat Coat. The Breathing Thyme is specifically for a stuffed up nose/chest. Tea made with boiled fresh ginger would help with the throat too.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Being an asshole on purpose is what Cat #2 does when he’s trying to get fed. Look right at you until he’s sure you noticed him, then sloooooowly move his mouth towards the power cords as if to chew them. Glances back, makes sure you’re still looking…

@ Viscaria

My cat does that too, but not when she wants food, just when she wants attention in general.

Viscaria
Viscaria

THIS JUST IN: Cats are huge jerks.

LBT
LBT

RE: Cloudiah

My home remedy for sore throat and cough is a salt water gargle (yes, it’s nasty, but it DOES help), and then tea with honey. Honey in general is GREAT for sore throats.

RE: CassandraSays

That is the most affectionate cat I have ever SEEN. Sneak goes ^3^

My home remedy is a shot of straight vodka. Let me tell you, your throat won’t be sore after that XD

princessbonbon

I totally have slutty ankles, they are always out there, flaunting their ability to move my legs around.

Only three more days and I will be in London! having my slutty ankles showing off again!

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Kant’s idea was that this represents the birth of rational thinking.

Heh. When I was 4 years old, I read that story in Sunday School (Little Golden Book version), and my takeaway was that, because Eve decided to eat the apple, history happened. Otherwise, it would still just be Adam & Eve in the garden of Eden. Twenty years later, when I was a baby feminist, I was BAFFLED by all the books I was reading that started out with an essay about how painful it was to be paying for Eve’s sin. Eve was the HERO of the story, to my mind.

Kant also thinks there’s something tragic about a rational creature which is still far from perfect; a creature that recognises things as being good and bad and still does the bad from time to time.

Me and my relationship with cheesecake are tragic for exactly that reason.

Check the ingredients for ephedra, which is a common ingredient in herbal cough remedies. Some people (me) can’t ingest it or we get heart palpitations.

In other news, it’s been -30 C for like three days, and it’s expected to stay that way for a while. My truck didn’t start this morning (because I forgot to plug it in, on account of stupidity). Feh. I hate winter.

Carleyblue
Carleyblue

OK, now I finally know what a fedora is. And guess what? My MRA (-like) friend is wearing one in his Facebook profile photo. Also blegh, his views have not improved one bit.

Amnesia
Amnesia

So, David, after watching Animaniacs again, I’ve caught on to your little game. Everybody, his name is actually David Boo-trelle, and he’s a chicken, I tell you! A giant chicken!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Re: cats are huge jerks

Last night Mum was sitting in the lounge chair and Mads came and stood with her front paws up on the arm of it. Mum gets up, puts sheepskin rug in chair, Mads jumps in and goes to sleep. “It’s my bedtime now, get out of my chair!”

Re: fedoras

This is why all the douchebags and hipsters in the world cannot spoil that hat! 😉

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Unimaginative:

Me and my relationship with cheesecake are tragic for exactly that reason.

I <3 this and I <3 you. Cheesecake, why must you be so delicious and yet make me so ill??

Creative Writing Student

@Kitteh’s

My boyfriend has a fedora. It’s XXL. His head’s too big. I said it’s because of all his brains, and he said that made me sound like a zombie.

So I have a question about the next AVfP. It’s the Government Girlfriends guy calling the police on his parents, and I was thinking I’d draw him hiding in a closet with the phone. But I was concerned that this might be disturbing to people who have actually felt threatened by their parents. Does anyone think this might be a problem? How concerned should I be about that sort of thing, given that the text is always going to be creepy and “out there” anyway?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Perhaps have him sitting on the couch in an obviously not under threat situation? Like, one of his parents can be seen cooking or sitting reading through a doorway?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Or maybe the parents are sitting playing a boardgame or something, in sight but out of earshot?

CassandraSays

Could you do a split panel? Him hiding in the closet in the main part, parents sitting around wondering where he went and if he’ll be back for dinner in the smaller part.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Lumme. I just read the most bizarre old thread – some bloke called Samuel going on and on about how men are all lustful beasts, saying men and women can’t be friends because of this, saying all the women on this site who disagreed were lying so as not to upset feminist men – and at the same time he was doing a massive all-caps dummy spit about how nasty feminist women were saying these things to him.

Oh and he thought not ejaculating gave celibate men’s eyes a wonderful glow of manly man energy.

It was … interesting.

CassandraSays

It’s tantra for angry misogynists!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

LOL!

He was dead keen on conflating Buddhism and Hinduism and the whole lot, too.

The guy was equally frustrating and pitiable. It took a bit of work to read his stuff – he claimed to be a native English speaker and to have done college, but his posts just didn’t read that way at all. It wasn’t like dyslexia, either. He seemed to be terrified of being near any woman he found attractive in case he got an erection; it was like attraction = instant arousal = rape (and he didn’t seem to grasp that anything outside a Deep Spiritual Marriage could be happy sexytimes).

Oh, and he thought Slavey was an academic and deep thinker. 😛

Magpie had a great answer to his “marriage is a deep spiritual connection” line – marriage is when two people have a conversation while one of them’s on the toilet. Not that spiritual.

Creative Writing Student

@Kittehs Unpaid Help

It would be a spiritual connection of the couple were worshippers of the Demon Lord of Sloth, Belphegor. Apparently you must glorify him whilst seated upon the commode.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Wouldn’t Demon Lord of Sloth, Belphegor be Basement Cat’s true hidden cat name? Because I’d swear a lord of sloth is who my two worship. Or would if they could be arsed to get up and do anything.

Creative Writing Student

Most of the kitties I know hang around looking like adorable avatars of Bastet…

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Ah, but the adorablosity is just a cunning disguise …

Jessay (@jessay)

I cracked up when he was wearing a fedora because I’ve always hated them. I never saw them as a hipster thing and always associated them with “nice guys,” and sexist shit heads. So when he was wearing one on the show I was like, “HE WOULD WEAR A FEDORA!”

Sorry to those of you who like them but I think the hat has become the official symbol of the friend-zoned.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Meh, to me it’s a hat with only a few associations – probably the first I saw was on Indiana Jones; I also love the hats Foyle and Milner wear in Foyle’s War, and the most important association is that Louis wears it. So in this as in all other areas, MRAs and associated losers can go stuff themselves …

Meanwhile, tonight’s picture effort has been not so much head-clearing as warming the cockles of the heart for memories of a winter day at Home last night. 🙂

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Kittehs! Did you see the picture of the present that Boy got me which I was excited about last week? It’s on the previous page.

pecunium

Home from Arisia. It was an adventure. I started with a trip to the ER for some minor surgery (I managed to get a small piece of glass embedded in my foot. They had to cut it out. The anesthetic hurt more than the glass, or the aftermath. The tetanus shot was the most debilitating aspect of that).

Grabbed four hours of sleep, hopped the PATH to 33rd, walked to Penn Stn.

Took the Acela to Boston, worked my ass off (I was doing some logistical support, to the catering of three parts [staff, guests, attendees] of a four day convention/party for 3,000 people). I put in 32 hours of “billable” hours between 1300 Thus, and 0001 Monday.

Saw Cliff Pervocracy, Steve Barnes and some other friends. Ate not enough, slept not enough, drank not enough. Was reminded I need to get to Boston more often.

Did about 1/3rd the drive home. Slept.

Got coffee/croissant, and eggs to make breakfast when my partner rises from her well deserved rest.

Catching up on Manboobz now.

Ugh, just realized there’s another major roadblock with my next strip: The guy in it is Robert P., the one who we know for sure is using someone else’s name in a defamatory manner. So what on earth am I supposed to call him?

hellkell
hellkell

Katz: didn’t he return here as Stam not too long ago?

CassandraSays

Isn’t his blog called GovernmentGirlfriends or some shit like that? You could always just go with the joke that he’s so identified with that idea that he’s taken it as his legal name.

pecunium

Wow… I read some of that Did you know that saying things is different from doing them?

And no one should ever protest something someone says?

I am sure he shares this view about the SCUM Manifesto.

Then I looked at the clip.

And he’s a deer in the headlights when he gets called out.

Robin… is “tastefully dressed”, Laci Green he has goggle-eyes and stammers. When Trisha puts him on the spot he changes his tune.

Then he waffles, and says she looks like a slut, ergo…

“Most men don’t care what women wear,” Even though he’s campaigning for men to “slut shame,” and he tries to push it off onto women.

“the slutwalk is a walk by a bunch of sluts… nothing but public whining sessions.”

And his moralising about how women who “wear meat in front of animals in the jungle” is what (apart from ridiculous, and not relevant to women in bars, unless men are slavering beasts, which he says they aren’t… even going so far as to say “most men would intervene to stop a rape,”. which makes me wonder what he thinks rape is, and why [if men are willing to intervene to stop it], women need to worry about how they look)

The last woman to join that segment…. “I’m not concerned with the term… but I know there are consequences that will follow you, as a woman.” Unh-hunh… and that is… People will shame you, and call you a slut. Her solution is to say, “do what they tell you to do, so they won’t degrade you later”.

That’s appeasment, and it’s not a good tactic to try and gain independence.

pecunium

Katz: I dunno. Emma the Emo just replied to me calling him out on “gov’t gets girlfriends. I gave her all the attention a reply to a several week old comment to him deserves… noted that she’d made it, and failed to read it.

pecunium

Starla: That being said, I think slut-shaming could be cut back quite a bit if girls were educated more about the Internet.

What does this mean?

If they just kept themselves in, “safe spaces” and understood they just have to accept some abuse if someone doesn’t like the way they look?

Because the only, “safe spaces” are going end up being a sort of purdah, and even there, there will be women like the last one to show up in the segment; reserving the right to tell people that they ought to be ashamed of not looking right.

pecunium

Oh my God…. Samuel. I’d forgotten him. He got really creepy.

CassandraSays

Was he the one who was fixated on Kristin (?) because her icon was a tiny photo of her face?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Cassandra – not in the thread I was reading, but he could have done elsewhere.

thenat – YES! I saw Boyfantastic’s present and it was the best!

@ Kittehs

There was this one troll who posted some really creepy comments about how he would be unable to be around one of our old regulars because you see, she was just so pretty. I know it sounds relatively harmless but actually it was really creepy.

Falconer

Re: Samuel … Not sure if want. On the one hand, train wreck. On the other hand, squick.

Probably better not, but I fear that in some cases I do not properly use risk assessment in my decision making.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Resist, Falconer, resist! I have a fairly high squick level with old threads here but this guy was bizarre.

Cassandra – no, that doesn’t sound harmless, it sounds totally creepy.

pecunium

Did he sock when he got banned? Or was it that he was modded, and came back even creepier?