a voice for men antifeminism crackpottery drama kings figurative nazis grandiosity MRA playing the victim

Supe-pah-per Storm Troup-pah-pers?

Scary news from A Voice for Men. On their front page right now:

AVFMswedenisgermany

So Sweden is Nazi Germany?

This is a little confusing to me, because, according to what I’ve always considered the most trusted and reliable source of Swedish information, Sweden is actually Napoleonic France.

Unfortunately, my only other real source for information on Sweden is not much help either, as it seems to suggest that Sweden is … the Mojave desert?

M Dubz
M Dubz

@Karalora- Those are freaking brilliant; tiny little Finland with his tiny little knife *squee*

and below is the strap-on of women’s rights:

cloudiah

Karalora, Nyhavn! Awesome!

clairedammit
clairedammit

Awesome, Karalora!.

David, I would love to hear the voicemail you got. Was it from The Otter?

lowquacks
lowquacks

@David

The AFFAK link on the sidebar points to http://artistryforfeminismandkittens.wordpress.co/ , which redirects to the wordpress homepage, rather than http://artistryforfeminismandkittens.wordpress.com .

Karalora
Karalora

Aw, thanks for all the compliments, guys! I really am in love with that silly little webcomic. I’ve learned more from it than I ever learned in school.

cloudiah

Thanks lowquacks for noticing the sidebar link to AFFAK doesn’t work! XD

Meanwhile, new post: http://artistryforfeminismandkittens.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/rejoin-the-man-boobz-poster-revolution-the-final-conflict/

In case you didn’t spend enough time on the posters. They still make me laugh so hard.

lowquacks
lowquacks

Ha! NOBODY expects the Spanish– er, Swedish country-rock musicians!

Of course they do; there’s a whole film and concept album about that sort of thing.

viola

Didn’t… didn’t this story happen, like, two years ago? I’m sure I remember the manosphere getting worked up about Swedish feminists making a “violent” video, and those feminists turning out to be a theatre group nobody had heard of, ages back.

Am I anticipating AVFM in my sleep, or are they recycling?

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Don’t know much about Swedish country music, but I like me some Norwegian folk.

Kim
Kim

Well, this is interesting. http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/losing-my-religion-for-equality-20090714-dk0v.html

An opinion piece by Jimmy Carter (yes that one).

Women and girls have been discriminated against for too long in a twisted interpretation of the word of God.
I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when the convention’s leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be “subservient” to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service.

my fellow Elders and I, who come from many faiths and backgrounds, no longer need to worry about winning votes or avoiding controversy – and we are deeply committed to challenging injustice wherever we see it.
The Elders are an independent group of eminent global leaders, brought together by former South African president Nelson Mandela, who offer their influence and experience to support peace building, help address major causes of human suffering and promote the shared interests of humanity. We have decided to draw particular attention to the responsibility of religious and traditional leaders in ensuring equality and human rights and have recently published a statement that declares: “The justification of discrimination against women and girls on grounds of religion or tradition, as if it were prescribed by a Higher Authority, is unacceptable.”

I wonder if it will make a difference, and if so how long it will take. The MRAs I find the most offensive are often the ones who use religion as a justification.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Viola – wasn’t that some video supposedly showing women attacking a man? Something of the dubious-but-satirical variety, I think. Not sure if it had anything to do with the SCUM manifesto or that’s just the MRM conflating them.

Kim – yeah, I was sort of high-fiving Jimmy Carter from a distance when he did that. 🙂

bookdragonette
bookdragonette

@LBT I know, right? They’re one of my favourite comic (in both senses of the word) duo.

Vivadisgrazia
Vivadisgrazia

Sorry I usually only lurk but this is the most hilarious thing ever and deserves so much praise !!!!!!! ” Presumably, the Sewdish prime-minister will be arrested as he ceremoniously opens the first camp and immediately imprisoned in it?”

titianblue
titianblue

Tigers attacking snowMEN – is there not end to the misandry? lol

Dvärghundspossen

Viola, you might be thinking of a different theatre group who put up a monologue based on the SCUM manifest, and made a youtube video advertising it featuring a woman murdering a man. They got tons of death threats from MRA:s, and thanks to that tons of attention they probably wouldn’t have gotten otherwise. Their monologue became a HUGE success and everyone who’s someone had to go see it and celebrate it all over the cultural pages of every newspaper and magazine ever, so this spring they’re giving the monologue again.

Probably not what the MRA hoped for.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Maybe not what the MRAs think they hoped for, but it confirms some of their fears (OMG misandrist culture!!!) and gives them more to whine about, so on some level it really did work out in their favor

Creative Writing Student

@Dvarghundspossen

I thought that the Swedish SCUM theatre group who wrote Chicago was something dreamt up by NWOslave.

Dvärghundspossen

Actually, all the hype this play got disturbed me.

Firstly you have male journalists who write super-positive reviews about how they were supposed to sit in a particular men’s department in the theatre while women threw insults at them. Everyone seems to agree that this was a very interesting experience that made you understand what it’s like to be under-privileged, and it wasn’t SERIOUSLY disturbing since after all men have nothing to be afraid of.
I think it’s a fucking insult to my gender that men can react that way… You know, women aren’t dangerous FOR REAL so it’s all just an interesting experience. I mean, the men are RIGHT, it’s not like this theatre group will attack them for real, it’s not like men face the kind of threat from women as a group that women face from men as a group. But this just goes to show how ultimately SILLY it is to do this kind of performance.
I don’t think a member of a privileged group can ever fully understand what it’s like to be a member of an underprivileged group… Like I will never understand what it’s like to be black, for instance. But if you wanna get as near understanding as possible, the best way is probably to watch movies, read blogs and so on written by members of these groups writing about their experiences, and simply TALK to members of these groups about what it’s like. Not put on some stupid show where privileged people sit there and PRETEND for a little while that everything is the other way around and women threaten men in a misandrist society.

Secondly, there are female friends of mine who’ve seen the play and put Solana quotes on their Facebook updates, crap about how women are superior to men because women are naturally peaceful and good while men are EVIL. And I’m like, can’t you see that these quotes you’re squirting out are actually very similar to the crap conservatives have been saying for over a hundred years – how women are BETTER than men, all peaceful and sweet (and therefore they shouldn’t enter the army or big business or politics because in these arenas they’ll just get tainted with the evils of the men)? You hate that crap when it comes from conservatives, so why do you celebrate it when it comes from Solanas?

So, urgh… Haven’t even seen the play (I bet it’s terribly entertaining, since me and Husband watched another play by that same theatre group and it was a riot, so they’re obviously an incredibly talented bunch) but the way people who HAVE seen it TALK about it disturbs me for several reasons.

Which doesn’t make it any more right to threaten members of the theatre group, as MRA:s world-wide has done.

Dvärghundspossen

Okay, watched the Skabbteatern video now, linked in this thread. As your resident Swede I’ll explain to you that they don’t say a single word except reciting the names of the people on their “enemy list” from the website. Seems like the message is supposed to be that all these people are a threat to women, and now they’re gonna fight back? Yeah, I think that is disturbing, and wrong. Posing with assault weapons, suggesting that it’s time to “fight back”, and among their supposed enemies are top politicians. Terrorist vibes, anyone? I mean, I hate the government too, but they should be voted out of power.

Plus I don’t really buy this super-strong connection many socialist feminists wanna make between socialism and feminism, between different kinds of oppressions. I don’t think you’re automatically a misogynist because you’re anti-working-class. I think our current government’s policies have hit the working-class and under-class really hard, and if you belong to one of these groups AND are a woman different oppressions will intersect in various ways and make your situation shittier than if you were a working-class man. That said, the government has also, among other things, instigated special programs for supporting female entrepreneurs, they’ve made it easier and cheaper to hire nannies and maids (and this obviously benefits high-earning women more than high-earning men) and they talk about making it mandatory for big business boards to have a certain percentage of women. Seems to me the government are pretty fond of the women in big business and the upper class. “Misogynist” and “anti-feminist” aren’t labels you can stick on anyone you disagree with. Words mean things.

But still, as much as I dislike this video, it’s not like a youtube video posted by a group of completely unknown feminists who hate the government proves that Sweden as a country is misandrist. Nor does it support the interesting theory that we’re just one step away from putting men in concentration camps.

Dvärghundspossen

Oh, and finally, the title of the video translates to “you’re a cunt you cunt”. Except being a bit tautological, one might think that it isn’t entirely feminist to refer to people you hate as “cunts”.

drst
drst

@Kim – that op=ed is from 2009.

cloudiah

CWS, Owly thought an American feminist wrote a scene from Chicago that he found on YouTube. Chloe something? It’s on my blog somewhere…

But guys, driversuz admits that she totally made up that weird erotic story about her son:

She apparently does have a son, he’s just not as cool as her imaginary son.

Hilarious. Disturbing. Like so much of feMRAdom.

titianblue
titianblue

Driversuz made it up – shocked, I’m shocked, I tell you (not really).

emmittnervend
emmittnervend

@Dvärghundspossen
“Actually, all the hype this play got disturbed me.

Reminds me of a segment from an early Brian De Palma movie called “Hi, Mom,” starring Robert De Niro. The segment’s called “Be Black, Baby” and has a group of Black radicals putting on a play for a WASP audience where they feed the audience soul food, dress them up in shoe polish, and hurl racial slurs and violence at them. Eventually a cop comes in and arrests the white audience in blackface. The audience finds the play a huge success, talking about how they finally know what it’s like to be Black while the performers look on, pretty sure that the audience didn’t learn anything at all.

stonerwithaboner

Mr. Futrelle,

here’s a challenge:

If:

2 + 3 = 10
7 + 2 = 63
6 + 5 = 66
8 + 4 = 96

Then:

9 + 7 = ?

hope you can do better than these guys:

2x + 3y = 10 ?

Give me a minute to find some paper, mmm, matrix math!

cloudiah

Stoner, You know we can just Google the answer, right? Do you have a point?

Your equations are invalid:

a) 2x + 3y = 10
b) 7x + 2y = 63
c) 6x + 5y = 66
d) 8x + 4y = 96

Divide them all by two:

a) 1x + 1.5y = 5
b) 3.5x + 1y = 31.5
c) 3x + 2.5y = 33
d) 4x + 2y = 48

Add a and c:

4x + 4y = 38

Divide that and d by two:

4x + 4y = 38 becomes 2x + 2y = 19
4x + 2y = 48 becomes 2x + 1y = 24

Subtract:

2x + 2y = 19
2x + 1y = 24

0x + 1y = -5 or rather y = -5

Calculate x using that:

6x + 5(-5) = 66
6x – 25 = 66
6x = 91
x = 15 1/8

Attempt to confirm that on a (or any other):

3(15.167) + 2(-5) = 10
45 3/8 – 10 =/= 10 it equals 35 3/8

So, just what were you going for there?

Argenti Aertheri

Cloudiah, I kind of figured it had to be representational, but use some variables then! Wtf he gave is one removed equal sign away from being a matrix!

cloudiah

It’s not really math, it’s just a puzzle. But since all of these puzzles are now on the internet, it’s a fairly stupid one. He could have changed it up some, created his own, but no, this is some lazy trolling.

Speaking of lazy, what am I still doing in my pajamas? It’s almost noon!

Argenti Aertheri

Stick some question marks in there, mark it as a logic puzzle, do something to make it not a matrix (I like matrices damnit!)

Argenti Aertheri

Yeah I get that, I enjoy breaking stupid math though — it isn’t meant as math, but it’s presented as math, and lack of clarity won’t get you anywhere 🙂

Creative Writing Student

@Cloudiah, RE:DriverSuz

In real life, he is a multi-faceted individual living his own life.

I don’t know why that bit of the admission made me laugh so much…

nightshadequeen
nightshadequeen

Sarcasm is my friend, so no, I’m not a bitter aging helicopter mom with Oedipal issues

Oh, really…

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@Argenti: it may not just be x and y, there could be other variables in there too. It’s too stupid to be a math puzzle:
only one number appears in more than one equation
there is no logic to explain how the numbers relate to each other algebraically.

MRAs: misunderstanding math as well as logic.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@cloudiah: reading her blurb at the end, it says she’s “married to a very patient man.” Guess she’s the only MRA of the two. /facepalm

Dvärghundspossen

@emittnervend: That’s funny! Haven’t seen that movie, but… there was a journalist who actually wrote negatively about the play; he wrote that a theatre group would never get away with doing a play about anti-semitism and place all the Jews in the audience in a special section. Me and Husband discussed that and agreed that it’s not analogous, because Jews aren’t a privileged group… to get a racial/ethnic analogy you gotta imagine an underprivileged group, like, say, black people, setting up a play where they put the white part of the audience in a special department and then throw anti-white racial slurs at them… but coming this far in our musings, we had to agree that we could totally see this happening, and people embracing it. White journalists writing rave-reviews about this wonderful new play that totally gives white people a fresh perspective at racism.

Argenti Aertheri

I decided to treat it as a matrix, which should have more columns if ore variables, except it’s apparently:

(2+3)*2=10

Etc, as in (#x + #y) * #x = solution

Except genius here neither marked it as a logic puzzle, nor realized it could be read other ways (I love matrices, I’d take just 2 3 10 really, but I’m weird ^.^ )

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@Argenti, it’s one of those “I pulled this maths puzzle out of my arse and you’re all stupid if you can’t work it out.” There’s no talent in creating one of those. Gratz on working it out, though, I was looking at it as simultaneous equations….

titianblue
titianblue

Silly maths example:

a “+” b = a^2 + a*b

So 9 “+” 7 = 81 + 63 =144

And being able to solve that charming little puzzle proves what, precisely?

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@titianblue: you win! I’m not sure what you win, but you win!!!!ELEVENTY!1!!!

titianblue
titianblue

Damn, ninja’d by Argenti.

titianblue
titianblue

Thanks, Kiwi Girl, I’ll take a magical pug to go, please.

Shadow
Shadow

@Dvärghundspossen

That has to be the stupidest argument against the play (the critic’s that is, not you and your husband’s). Like you said, it would have to be the antisemites that are in a special section in order for it to be analogous. Clearly the critic missed the whole point of the play in the first place, though I do agree with you about the inefficacy of putting men in a special section and hurling invectives at them, not least because they are there voluntarily.

Re: Driversuz

Did anyone actually understand the point of that article? Because that blurb just confused the shit out of me. “I’m here to defend this cardboard cutout of men because it can’t defend itself (probably because it’s made of cardboard)” :S I mean, it was ridiculous enough when we thought it was actually about her son.

drst
drst

I can do our troll one better:

If a tree falls in the forest, and then bounces back up as a joke, do the squirrels freak out?

(Due credit – I stole that from a greeting card)

cloudiah

Yeah, Shadow, except I’d add “I’m here to defend this cardboard cutout of men by attacking cardboard cutouts of women.” And what does it say that she doesn’t think her actual son is worthy of being written about?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

What was the point of all that supposed maths bonehead posted? People who can do maths/logic puzzles tore it apart, those who can’t simply ignored it and said he was trying (unsuccessfully, evidently) a wanky little show-off again.

Xanthë

I think the answer is supposed to be “gross”… (nine squared plus nine sevens)

Not much of a challenge, seeing as the use of the plus operand was clearly not functioning as addition, so other guesses swiftly pointed to the answer. Would have been more interesting in a non-standard base, just to fuck with people’s heads (but all 10 normal digits were obviously in play also). Disappointingly simple, meh. What was this supposed to demonstrate, again?

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Maths! It’s science! 🙂

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Nah, that bonehead is a wannabe maths snob/wit. He fails on both counts.

More interesting than him, I just saw that the beautiful Jon Finch has passed over – did anyone see him as MacBeth in Polanski’s film, or as Henry IV in the BBC’s Shakespeare cycle? Vale to a fine actor.