all about the menz antifeminism dawgies FemRAs misandry misogyny MRA YouTube

War Declared on Misandric Pants

Puppy battling the evil of Misandric Pants
Puppy battling the evil of Misandric Pants

One effect of living within the ideological bubble of the Men’s Rights movement is what you might call ideological inflation: MRAs start off believing, for example, that women don’t face discrimination today, in the developed world — an idea that’s wrong enough to start with. But then, surrounded by other delusional MRAs who reinforce their every wrong notion, the denizens of the Men’s Rights bubble come to believe that women haven’t ever been discriminated against anywhere and at any time in the history of the world. (You may recall those evil cavewomen who sat around eating prehistoric bon bons while the men hunted the mammoth to feed them.)

And that leads to things like the following video, in which the FeMRA video maker who calls herself The Wooly Bumblebee declares war on a pair of “Misandric Pants” she bought for her daughter by accident.

Yep, that’s right, she’s furious because one fucking percent of the proceeds made from selling these pants goes to a charity fighting against the very real discrimination and oppression that girls face all over the globe. You know, like being denied educations because they’re girls. Like being forced into child marriages with adult men. Like being forced into prostitution as children. That sort of thing.

Apparently girls don’t suffer from being repeatedly raped as children. But boys are totally oppressed because a tiny portion of the profits from a pair of pants goes to a charity that talks about, and tries to do something about, the shit girls have to endure because they are girls.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

” Shaving Ryan’s Privates”

OMG

Another of the Pube Terror franchise!

Argenti Aertheri

SCENTED *MOTHERFUCKING CANDLES!!

And yeah, I loved the traffic jam one, and Silence in the Library — they were both part of overarching plots that didn’t rule the whole show — You Are Not Alone (and fuck, I liked Yana!) and River, and foreshadowing Donna. The cracks took up Every. Damned. Thing. for that season, then the Silence, and fuck, we still have more questions than answers and I can’t help wondering if they even know how they’re going to answer said questions.

Much like Amy, I really want to know how and why the TARDIS blew up and took the universe with it. Good question for another day sure, but that was a season and a half ago!

…and I’ve barely touched old Who *back to the corner of shame*

Argenti Aertheri

Why did Yana have to turn out to be who Yana turned out to be? I liked him as a brilliant, altruistic (to the point of being at least as suicidal as 10) dedicated scientist of an old man.

It’s like they made him a saner, not cruel version of who he was…wtf *cough*cough* could’ve been if not for “you made me!” (those episodes are also awesome, right until 10 turns whiny)

cloudiah

Um, JudgyBitch is a contributor to AVfM, not exactly “new.”

Argenti:

Stop. Just stop. Please? I don’t really give a fuck about your reasons, I just want to have a conversation about Doctor Who (or, really, any other topic) that isn’t a total wankfest.

pillow in hell

Falconer, I’ve never heard Doctor Who radio broadcasts! That’s like totally up my alley, I love listening to the braodcasts for the Green Lantern, the Shadow, Sherlock Holmes ect.

CBC used to do those types of braodcasts in the evening. Then they stopped.

Not that it matter anyways, since my radio refuses to pick up the CBC at all>.<

pillow in hell

Hmm. The Tardis exploding… Part of it was in the sun right? Is it possible that it was using itself as fuel to keep the solar system going?

Argenti Aertheri

…so now I’m not allowed to discuss episodes/plot points that I’ve liked without it being called a wankfest? Closest I said to anything negative was that I’d like it if the overarching plots could stop taking over the entire show…that’s not exactly random complaints about Moffat.

Is praising wtf they did with Yana acceptable? Or a wankfest?

I was replying to Falconer regarding the episodes ze specifically mentioned, and wtf I liked about them, but fine, I’ll stop discussing Doctor Who.

pillow in hell

One of the things I loved about the Doctors Wife was that while the Tardis having an awareness of its own is frequently alluded to, it was nice to see it interacting in a way somewhat understandable to human minds.

I’d like to see the Tardis find a way to be more interactive on a regular basis. Though did anyone else catch that the tardis acted somewhat like the psilon women in tubs? Or is that just me?

Argenti Aertheri

The TARDIS was the sun in that time line, and yes, it was the fuel keeping the earth corner of the universe going. It’s just that Amy specifically asked how and why, the Doctor said good question for another day, and that day has yet to come.

And now that I’ve answered that question, I really am stepping out of the Doctor
Who discussion.

cloudiah

@katz, wut? I don’t see how Argenti did anything wrong here. [I say as someone who stays out of Doctor Who discussions for the most part.]

Not the Yana comment, more this (also posted since my previous comment):

And I don’t hate all of Moffat’s episodes, it’s just that nearly (?) all of 11′s gender BS is because of Moffat. That Christmas special was being all kinds of amazing and then WHAM! we need a mother ship! >.<

I suspect there already is a goddamn you Moffat tumblr though!

Argenti Aertheri

We need a sarcasm font, that last line was sarcasm.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Popping in briefly now my headache is gone to say, I loved Red Dwarf. Falconer, I had already guessed you liked that show from your avatar. 🙂 I see the actor that played Rimmer (Chris Barrie) is now host of some car show on Sky.

Falconer

@pillow, well, they’re not technically radio broadcasts, although there were some in the 70s with Tom Baker. Big Finish Audio does them specifically for CDs. I suppose you could analogize it to the straight-to-video vs. broadcast TV markets, but that implies that BFA lacks a lot of quality.

@Argenti:

You know, I had a whole reply about Silence v. Bad Wolf, but I think I’d best drop the subject, too. Just for the record, I’m not sore at you, and I hope you’re not sore at me, and I’m sorry if I gave you cause to be sore.

Oh, and I’m a white, straight, cis male, aged 18 to 45, you can call me “he” if you want.

howardbann1ster

Maybe it’s because you guys have been discussing timetraveling sci-fi, but ‘aged 18 to 45’ just struck me in a very weird way.

And now I want to write a story where that line makes total sense in a specific way.

pillow in hell

Howard, that top forty of bad drawing was some of the funniest fucking fail I’ve seen in a while.

All those badass villians and superheros doing ballet routines while arguing!

Clearly that artist has never taken an anatomy class, learned by studying medieval torture victims OR has never seen an actual living human being… I’m betting on the third option. Cables thighs were drawn so over muscled there is no way he could walk.

howardbann1ster

@pillowinhell: Yeah, the absolute best part was the last drawing… which was from last year.

It’s one thing to be a bad artist at a time when your particular quirks are being celebrated. After 30 years, to be doing the same things? That’s… special.

pillow in hell

I still remember when Marvel was drawing the women of Xmen with pencil thin necks and waists smaller than their heads… Good times good times.

Or getting the collector cards and realizing that Jean Grey, despite being half a foot tallelr than me and presumably better muscled from working out weighed thirty pounds less than my thin five foot self.

Carleyblue
Carleyblue

If it’s not too late to put in my 2 cents on the Doctor Who discussion, I must say I couldn’t watch Matt Smith as the doctor. For me, the tenth doctor was always THE doctor (since that’s when I started watching it, I guess). I don’t really do well with change. And yes, my favourite episode is probably Blink, or the one where all the people are stuck in cars trying to get up to the city, but actually everyone in the city is dead (someone here has an avatar from it, I think).

Falconer

Maybe it’s because you guys have been discussing timetraveling sci-fi, but ‘aged 18 to 45′ just struck me in a very weird way.

Yeah, I think I was going to put in either “I’m Hollywood’s target audience,” or “I’m normative as hell,” but thought better of it and left in the 18 to 45 remark inadvertantly.

Falconer

The first panel of #34. Composition! It is your friend! Also, step back and look at your artwork every now and then, and you won’t get one eye further from the nose than the other, and on another level, in what is essentially a full-face shot.

howardbann1ster

Oh, Falconer, stop looking! Think of your eyes, man! Think of your eyes!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Yes, freitag uses that avatar. 🙂

I could take Matt Smith better if he had eyebrows.

Falconer

Oh, Falconer, stop looking! Think of your eyes, man! Think of your eyes!

Too late! It’s like looking into the Ark of the Covenant!

howardbann1ster

I’m all like… look, abs! So wrong! Then I notice the women have boobs that start at their neck. Then I notice that everybody’s muscles are trying to explode. And then I notice the heads aren’t connected to the spines. Then, and then, and then…

[POP]

Falconer

I’m breaking out the emergency Neal Adams!

Falconer

Except this bit. I don’t want that bit. Dear god.

Falconer

Wonky anatomy can be a stylistic choice. But Liefeld is just genuinely bad.

pillow in hell

Oh my god the faces! Have they realized that their faces are completly lacking in conective tissue and are sagging down to their jaws?

And boobs…unless she got elective surgery for triple h cups and has steel girders for a bra, you should be able to see other parts of her chest!

And what’s with the grind it in your face crotch shots featuring the anatomy of a ken doll? And can’t these folks find a little more spray paint so their “clothes” aren’t under that much stress?

The picture of stryfe? Crawling..um dude no mans back does that, not even contortionists.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m confused by the two distorted warrior ladies who appear to be kneeling on water. Are they SexyJesus?

howardbann1ster

WHY ARE THE HEADS SO TINY!!

And I just want to stress that even when Mignola’s work is stylized so heavily that you have trouble telling a face from an explosion, the basic anatomy is all hooked together and seems to basically exist in the same plane of existence as the rest of the picture.

What I am basically saying is that Liefeld is Cthulu.

pillow in hell

Speaking of boobs, there’s one pic where I think he forgot which direction he was drawing in and the left breast is a double breast or a very poor surgical job.

And dude, I know certain liberties are taken with drawing superheros. But no one is gonna believe a hero that’s ten heads tall at the top of their leg or that has feet proportional to the length of their hand and not their forearm. NO ONE, especially not men, stand with their legs a car length apart when preparing to fight.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m not a superhero fan at all so I’ll shut up about the giant bulging muscles, but he also has some serious issues with perspective. One foot will be normal sized…well for him…and then the other foot will be 1/10th the size of the first one even though it’s only about 10 inches or so behind the more-normal-size foot. It’s like he had a traumatic encounter with a funhouse mirror as a child and never quite recovered.

pillow in hell

Yeah the feet issue is kinda why I figured that the characters spread a car length apart.

Also, that one weird character whose head looks like a snowball balanced precariously on a garbage pile. Even really biult up men still have a bone structure you can see. And well, pecs don’t go from the top of the rib cage straight up to the neckless head.

Seriously, these are things I would expect from a first year drawing anatomy student, or someone who has no idea what perspective is in drawing. Foreshortening a human body is not easy, but draw some god damned guidelines in!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

When he draws people flying the perspective issue gets really really bad. From a baroque anatomy perspective my favorite was the one where the dude appeared to have a 30-pack rather than a 6-pack.

pillow in hell

Cassandra, I see what you mean. Have you noticed that he also draws mens hips way too wide? Typically if your looking at cis men, their hips are not nearly as wide as the shoulders, and that won’t change no matter how the guy stands.

These heros could give birth to a volkswagon and not notice.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I can’t think of any part of the human body that he gets right, actually. It’s like he’s never seen people before.

pillow in hell

When I was into drawing comics, I actually spent money buying different health and body building magazines. I spent money to go to workshops to draw nude human beings.

I may not have drawn a person in two decades, but I can still make them look like they are sitting in a chair rather than straining over a toilet.

howardbann1ster

And this man…

Was the poster child for the nineties.

Just remember! Abnoy loves the Liefeldian 90s because he’s a ‘Heterosexual’!

….DON’T IMAGINE ANY OF THOSE CHARACTERS HAVING SEX DON’T DO IT YOUR POOR MIND AGH

pillow in hell

Yeah and that waas right around the time I stopped collecting them…

Think I dodged a bullet!

howardbann1ster

Oh my god… I think I have to go through my old sketchbooks tonight and identify any Liefeldian traits.

I’ll … survive…. maybe.

Dvärghundspossen

Liefeld is the worst of the worst, but almost all super hero artists compulsively draw muscular men, even when the script says otherwise. Cyclops, for instance, is supposed to be fairly slender, hence the nickname “Slim”, but he’s usually drawn like a bulging bodybuilder like the rest of the gang. And Bruce Banner is supposed to be down-right skinny. It gets really bizarre when another character actually looks at him and comments that he’s skinny with no muscle, and he’s standing there looking super buff.

Dvärghundspossen

If you’ve ever watched Linkara’s “atop the 4th wall” on That Guy With The Glasses, you’ve seen one of Liefeld’s worst in the intro… When one character is supposed to throw himself at another character and hit him with his fists, but it just looks as if he bangs his crotch into him.

howardbann1ster

Which was the comics writer who actually threw a lampshade on Cyclops–having him say, ‘I haven’t been that skinny little kid in a long time’? I forget, but it’s, yeah, pretty obvious.

Liefeld’s biggest sin, though, becomes apparent when you look at the action sequences. When the chracters are just posing, it’s almost–ALMOST–non-horrific. But the action consists of quick cuts between worse and worse poses. (I’ve not seen the Linkara piece you mention, but I beleive it….)

Falconer

Speaking of Linkara, I was amused by ANNOY’s insistence that “I AM A MAN!!”

Falconer

I’m pretty sure there’s an invisible boner on that page.

But at least all the anatomy makes sense and looks good in perspective (except the breasts. Dear god, the breasts).

hellkell
hellkell

Liefeld definitely draws like he was self-taught, which I read he was. There’s nothing wrong with that per se, but he’s just held onto bad habits that good teacher could have corrected.

Argenti Aertheri

Falconer — no problem, and thanks for clarifying your preferred pronoun 🙂 (I use ze/zir myself, but don’t really care much)