antifeminism creepy evil women incoherent rage men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny rape vaginas whaaaaa?

The Stuff I Ban Part 2: Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop

Symbolic representation of the Man Boobz Trash folder.
Symbolic representation of the Man Boobz Trash folder.

Time for another peek into the Man Boobz “Trash” folder!

Regular commenters here may have come across the comments of an MRA/MGTOWer calling himself justeunperdant, who has graced the comments section here with sarcastic if often quite surreal remarks which are enhanced, I feel, by his poor command of the English language.

Here’s one of his perplexing little gems (and no, it doesn’t make any more sense in context):

just1

Here’s one that’s slightly less perplexing, though it seems to be based on the notion that Title IX isn’t a law but is actually the name of some dude:

just2

But what you don’t realize is that not all of Mr. justeunperdant’s comments see the light of day. For example, several days ago he tried to post the following comment:

just3

The problem here wasn’t the comment itself, which is fairly typical of MRAs who visit the site; it was that he attached a video that evidently showed pictures of Jodi Arias, now on trial for the murder of her boyfriend, dragging around his dead body. Not particularly wanting such a graphic video up on Man Boobz, I sent justeunperdant’s comment to the trash.

This made him mad:

just4

I didn’t let that one through either.  He keeps posting comments; I keep tossing them in the trash.

just5

When MRAs suggest I delete comments because I “can’t handle the truth,” this is the sort of “truth” they’re talking about.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

And I always thought that the “teachers are all sadists” idea in The Wall only happened because the dude who wrote it was high as a kite.

Argenti Aertheri

*offers some very dark chocolate with chili peppers* it’s delicious

And hey, Sneak I trust to stick to shiny fluffy things, Mac I just see getting bored! (And Gigi still kind of scares me)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

That whole subject (which I took because it was less awful than the alternative – biology or something, I think*) left me feeling it was all about treating people as some sort of bloody numbers set or toys or things to experiment on. Feelings aren’t real, just dissect them, they don’t matter. Gakk. This was in 1981, hopefully the teaching’s improved since then. Or maybe I had a dud teacher, I dunno.

*nothing was going to get me cutting animals up for no good reason. I’d already managed to organise a boycott a couple of years earlier at school.

pecunium

AG: What did you expect? Vast kudos, from one and all, extolling your cleverness? A joint laugh at how you managed to jerk the kotaku community around by baiting them to make them look worse than they are?

I don’t know how you chose us to be your, unwitting, co-conspirators, but not cool. From an ethics standpoint what you did here was utter fail. What you did there was, at best questionable. Assuming (arguendo, the evidence is lacking) you did it with nothing but good intent, it’s an iffy thing.

Pretense is questionable, and needs clear reason, and defined limits. You have no one (so far as can be told) providing oversight, before, during, or after. You are trolling them, and used them to troll us.

Even if that was your intent (and it’s the only charitable/defensible theory of events I can think of at the moment) it would have failed any IRB I can think of, because the dynamics of social groups is that insiders being attacked are, to some degree, defended (under the rubric that, “I can abuse my sibling, but you can’t).

So the most most generous of good intentions has you using us,and using us in pursuit of questionable aims which we weren’t given the opportunity to opt out of (even those of us who didn’t actively take part).

That’s why you are getting the reaction you are getting (and it’s not as severe as it probably ought to be).

If it were my blog, I’d ban you.

cloudiah

I have brought LBT warm slippers, and am holding out a plate with Pierre Marcolini’s Fleur de Cacao (85%) and Paris Flyer Very Dark Chocolate (77%) for you to sample.

LBT
LBT

RE: Argenti

Yes. I am Rogan. I wear plaid all the time. It is totally me. Yes.

Booga booga.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Cassandra – I’d say “all PE teachers are sadists.” 😉 I had a few really good teachers, one in primary school who was a horrible old bully, and some total morons who hardly knew their own subjects, let alone about anything else. The day my maths teacher in fourth form demonstrated that he’d never heard of the English Civil War was the day my idea that adults had more general knowledge than me about important things disappeared.

Falconer

I thought maybe it was an overeager feminist trying to pose as an ex-MRA and hoping the current MRAs would listen, or something. As it stands, I have no idea what he (?) was trying to accomplish.

Regardless, I fear it may become more grist for the mill of “False flag! False flag!” that pops up whenever an MRA site becomes embarrassing.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Rogan – but is it pink plaid? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh dear. I just had an image of what might happen if Philippe (stepson) decides to wear pink tartan anytime. André (stepson’s Scottish husband) might take exception.

😀

Argenti Aertheri

Well I guess as long as you’re wearing plaid I can trust you to be a benevolent overlord, just try not to get bored with that ever important duty!

LBT
LBT

Gigi was actually attempting to fake it there. I guess she just did it too well. She is sad, because she hoped to be able to make a joke, and did not succeed. Oh well.

Argenti Aertheri

Sorry Gigi! I got unfamiliar with your separate styles while on manboobz hiatus, maybe consider successfully fooling me to be a different sort of joke? (And it’s nothing personal, I’m wary of children in general, I get all “oh gods what do I do?” with school age kids)

Chocolate all around, or I have some rock candy if that’s more Gigi’s flavor?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

LBT – sorry, people, I don’t think I’ve spoken to anyone but Rogan, so I wouldn’t know!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Does anyone need some cheering up after AtomicAsshole’s little stunt? Here is a genuinely awesome Kickstarter project – a cheap, simple device designed to destroy landmines.

LBT
LBT

RE: Kittehs and Argenti

Don’t worry about it; I generally am the only talker here. Gigi just gave it a shot because she’s the worst actor here, by a large margin. (She is still oddly dismayed that she failed at failing.)

And kickstarter is awesome.

cloudiah

That mine destroying thing is awesome. And now here is something that is adorable:

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

“It’s all right for you, your legs are longer! That step’s almost as tall as me!”

😀

Falconer

Sweet, I saw the mine destroyer on Pharyngula, I think, and I see that it’s already been funded, but I’m disappointed that it wasn’t as overwhelmingly funded as some Kickstarters I’ve seen. Of course, they were asking for 100,000 pounds.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

“Disingenuous pantload. You skated right to the edge of offensiveness, nothing that could be called outright. I’m sure if I had said something, you’d’ve been all, “who, me?”

I think you’re sad, the only person I’m pissed at is myself for not trusting my gut that you were a lying sack.”

Seriously? I made a few fraudulent posts here, meanwhile you and others have been sitting in silent hatred of me since the moment I arrived. That makes you fake too. I told you everything, but if I hadn’t, would you have said the truth about me?

“Even the people at Kotaku, idiots that they are, don’t deserve to be unwittingly used as someone’s research subjects (and not even for a real book).”

I realize that now. The book isn’t real anymore, I’ve erased everything I had, including the blog.I showed someone else for their opinion and they basically said “wow, this is fucked up.”

“The people you involve but don’t tell beforehand are the targets of the joke. And they aren’t generally thrilled about it.”

I didn’t think you’d be thrilled about it, but I didn’t expect such anger.

“Treating people as things is a very MRAish way to behave.”

That’s a good point. I have no excuses.

“you should’ve known we’d be touchy about such things considering the endless string of recurrent socks.”

I didn’t think about that.

“A joint laugh at how you managed to jerk the kotaku community around by baiting them to make them look worse than they are?”

I actually think they’re a lot better than I had previously believed them to be.

“I don’t know how you chose us to be your, unwitting, co-conspirators, but not cool. ”

That sorta just happened. I wanted to gauge your reactions to my writing. It was probably a result of me being overeager to share what I made.

“You have no one (so far as can be told) providing oversight, before, during, or after.”

I don’t, you’re right.

“I don’t know why you did it, but my surmise is that you wanted to have us (or at least one) come in with guns blazing to send them up, and goad them into defending the themes you were presenting; as a means to get them to admit to what you believed.”

I got plenty of that from Kotaku. I wanted to get a variety of responses and different viewpoints on the subject.

I guess I’ve just been desensitized to internet deception since I’ve been around it so much. It doesn’t affect me that much, so I projected that attitude onto everyone else.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Hey, David, have you checked this guy’s IP and asked him for his morning height yet?

hellkell
hellkell

False equivalence is false. No one here hated you, I thought you were off. If you cannot get the distinction, that’s all you.

David, we need a high IQ check over here.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I wonder how high IQ correlates with one’s morning height.

Viscaria
Viscaria

You know who AG reminds me of? Boggi. I’m not saying he is Boggi, just more similar to him than to any other member of the rogue’s gallery, IMHO.

By the way, no one hated you, man. Some people were wary of you, waiting to see which way you’d jump, because of our previous experience. You see, sometimes new commenters say a couple of odd-sounding things here in early days and then they start to pick up on the culture of the space, but sometimes instead they’ll do egregious shit like the stunt you pulled.

Next time a slightly off commenter comes around I will be even warier than I was with you, because you proved to be one of the jerks in the end. But I’ll still give them the benefit of the doubt, just like we did with you.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I get the feeling I’m going to be using this a lot.

Also, Boggi? Don’t remember that one.

Viscaria
Viscaria

He was around last year, spring-ish? He was working out some issues with the MRM and he decided to work them out on us. He’d get all indignant about how feminist he was and then post someone else’s sexist work and say “I think this is a pretty reasonable take on gender, don’t you agree?” and get mad when people disagreed, until eventually he would see what they were saying and treat it as a learning opportunity in his personal quest to be a better person. He never seemed to grasp that he was hurting real people in the process. We were practice dummies to him.

Eventually he threw a couple of fits when he got called out on some problematic stuff. He said we had no right to get after him since he was better than an MRA (high bar) and that we were picking on him and it was mean and not fair and he was leaving forever!!1!1 only to come back immediately as a sock who said all the right things to get in good with us for a long time before “she” started revealing her true colours.

Also he liked to make sweeping statements about how stupid and deluded religious people are. But AG doesn’t remind me of that bit.

howardbann1ster

Ugh. Bad taste in the mouth now.

I mean, I freely admit that being around here has been hugely helpful with whole boatloads of my issues. You guys have been pretty awesome about, y’know, being you and exposing and mocking misogyny, and I really needed that.

But deception is deception. Seriously, AtomicG, were you just not paying any attention to the way Pell and MRsteAl got talked about, treated, dissected, banned?

It’s like… yes, this is the internet, and there’s lots of places where you can be anybody you want to be and invent your own persona and be whatever you want. But dammit, when you do that sort of thing it means you don’t WANT to be part of a community, it means you want to be Clever.

John Scalzi has said well; the failure mode of Clever is Asshole.

You tried to be Clever.

We call Asshole.

pecunium

AG: Seriously? I made a few fraudulent posts here, meanwhile you and others have been sitting in silent hatred of me since the moment I arrived.

Is that what you think?

What I see is people who said they had doubts about you, but who didn’t really act on it; because they were giving you the benefit of the doubt.

You have confessed you made fraudulent posts here, and that you think they shouldn’t have been treated so harshly.

Those are not the same as people, “sitting in silent hatred of [you].” It’s quite convenient the hatred was silent; it means no one can deny it.

Compare my treatment, or lack, of you, to my decidedly less than accepting response to lumi.

See what happened to my view of her, and what has happened to my view of you. Ponder the differences and consider them.

You keep saying, “I have no excuse” and then making excuses. That’s ongoing falsity; not so much to us, but to yourself.

As I like to say, who you pretend to be on the internet, is who you are. You are a liar, and a manipulator. That’s why people are not liking you.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

@Pecumium

That comment was more of a reply to this:

“at the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, atomicgrizzly has been annoying the hell out of me every since zie showed up. Too eager, too many comments, too many things skating the edge of being offensive but not enough to call out.”

and this:

Not in regards to everyone. I found it ironic that once they found out I lied they all of the sudden said that I was offending and annoying them the whole time.

“You keep saying, “I have no excuse” and then making excuses.”

Not excuses, explanations. I don’t expect anyone’s view to change because of them. I hurt some people and I have to deal with it.

“John Scalzi has said well; the failure mode of Clever is Asshole.

You tried to be Clever.

We call Asshole.”

Yeah, That about sums it up.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

@AtomicGrizzly

I haven’t weighed in on this since I saw it, but here’s my two cents:

I don’t think you’ve set out to harm people here. But that you could see a community who’s general goodwill and willingness to help others has been abused by liars and people who are there in bad faith multiple times (you were around for the Steele reveal, so you at least know about Mister-Al’s form with that), and then do something strikingly similar without considering that it might be a problem doesn’t cast you in a massively positive light – and puts a lot of the regulars on the defensive when people actually do need help and advice. There’s also the idea of you, a man, coming into a predominantly-female/feminist space and through deceit, forcing the women to aid you in something you wanted to do. This is icky, to say the least.

However, you seem to know this, or have learned it, and I believe your apologies. This might be naivety on my part, but I think you are sorry. Cool. So my advice to you, if you want to continue hanging around here and maybe regain some trust, is to stop being on the defensive on this thread. We’ve heard what you have to say, some people will accept it, some people won’t – and that’s their right. You’re the one in the wrong here, so you don’t get to decide if/when people want to welcome you back. On a possibly even more important note, if people decide this kind of shit isn’t easily forgivable, go. Or lurk. the worst thing about recent trolls (Diogenes and Talacaris, among others) is when they know that they’re not wanted in the group, but can’t stand that a group, especially a group of (mainly) women, could have conversations and discussion without their input. This is like male-privilege 101. Also, own your shit. Don’t start every post with an apology, just don’t act like nothing happened and every new thread is a clean slate. This is why people hate Ruby, who advocates rape on one thread then turns up at another to say something bland and inoffensive.

Finally, it’s not lying to be suspicious of someone and not voice it. There were a couple of times that I thought you were a bit ‘off’ too. For example, there was one time that you hadn’t heard of some kind of sexist abuse which pretty much every woman I know has experienced, and every feminist man I know is aware of (can’t remember what it actually was dammit), and it just made me raise my eyebrow a bit. But you know, unless you say something that’s out and out WRONG, people aren’t going to voice thoughts because who really wants to have a fight? I think you just made people’s ears prick up a bit. And surely you can appreciate that a) women are socialised out of being confrontational, and encouraged to be passive, and b) feminist women don’t want to alienate allies for not being doubleplus perfect, but wanted to see how things would pan out. That you keep pushing this really feels like digging a hole to get out of one. People were wary of a stranger. Deal.

I hope you kind of take some of this on board, because as I said at the beginning of this epic post, I don’t think you’re a bad guy. I think you’ve been a bloody twit, but I think you know that. So learn your shit and let’s move on.

hellkell
hellkell

That is not irony.

You’re showing a remarkable obtuseness in harping on that, for reasons listed by Natfantastic and others. If I were you, I’d stop digging this particular hole.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

@thenatfantastic

Wow, thanks for spelling things out like that. it made a lot of sense.

“This might be naivety on my part, but I think you are sorry.”

Yeah, I am. I was kind of flabbergasted by the response to what I did, and I felt really shitty afterwards. I’m not really social or part of any social groups, so my probably sitcom-esque expectation of things turned out to be wrong.

” there was one time that you hadn’t heard of some kind of sexist abuse which pretty much every woman I know has experienced, and every feminist man I know is aware of (can’t remember what it actually was dammit), and it just made me raise my eyebrow a bit. ”

Thanks for being more specific with this. It’s worth noting that I don’t actually talk with many feminists, and most of my ideas regarding social behavior in relation to gender were conclusions I had come to myself, or from reading thing on the internet. If there’s an concept that I wasn’t aware of, it’s because I really wasn’t aware of it.

I’ve already decided to lurk more, but if everyone decides I need to disappear, I will.

pecunium

AG: My comment was in reply to everything you said above it; and the things said to you.

The part where I say you are mouthing apologies you don’t really mean… that comment about, “What I was replying to” was exactly the sort of thing I meant.

You keep pretending each person is responding only what you say/did to them: directly.

Sorry, I (at the least) am looking at the entire persona.

Dude. I don’t know how long you may have been lurking, or how much backlog you looked at when you decided to perpetrate this little project, but you are wrong.

I’ve been here awhile. I’ve got a sense of the tone people use. You got some serious side-eye well before the reveal. That you were too tone deaf to spot it, well (again) the most charitable thing I can think is you were feeling so clever that you didn’t notice the warning signs.

“You keep saying, “I have no excuse” and then making excuses.”

Explanations? No. Look at this one. You are excusing yourself by calling others hypocrites.

It’s not that you can’t become more welome, but right now (at least for me) you aren’t helping yourself, if that’s your aim.

OMG, you’re totally right! Not in the use-us-as-a-support-group sense, but in the entitlement, deception, doing sketchy things and then being surprised when people got angry, and giving narrow not-pologies that aren’t very reassuring.

Here’s Boggi in action for all you new folks.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Gah. Another dreary lying little creep. They must have been on sale at half price somewhere, they’ve flooded the market.

1 8 9 10