a woman is always to blame all about the menz antifeminism men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA no girls allowed playing the victim

MRA: The National Rifle Association needs to stop talking about video games and fight the real enemy: feminists.

Video Games: Super Serious Man Business
Video Games: Super Serious Man Business

Our old friend over at the Pro-Male/Anti-Feminist Technology blog is angry again. This time he’s mad at a legitimate target: National Rifle Association president Wayne LaPierre. But not because LaPierre is the head of an organization that has stood athwart every attempt at sensible gun control, making tragedies like the one in Newtown an all-too-predictable side effect of the easy availability of semiautomatic weaponry.

No, Mr. Pro-Male/Anti-Feminist Tech is made at LaPierre because he thinks the NRA big gun has turned into a feminist. No, really. Noting that in the wake of the Newtown shootings LaPierre launched a transparently opportunistic attack on violent video games, Mr. PMAFT accuses him of doing the work of the grand feminist conspiracy against men and manhood:

The most important reason why LaPierre is wrong is because what he is doing is feminist.  Video games are an activity predominately enjoyed by men.  So are guns.  Both activities are under attack from feminists (just like other predominately male activities like science fiction are) because men are interested in them and women are mostly not interested in them.  LaPierre is shooting himself in the foot (pun intended) by alienating allies among the video game community and helping out feminists in their war on male activities.

Never mind that nearly half – 47% — of those playing video games these days are girls and women, according to the Entertainment Software Association. (I await the inevitable comment from a troll telling us all that whatever games these women are playing just don’t count because blah and blah.)

What LaPierre should have done is form an alliance with the video game community.  While the Newtown shootings are being used against gun owners right now, the next target will be video games and other mostly male interests and activities.  Both the video game community and the gun community are fighting the same enemy, feminism.  They should be working together to point out facts like how the Newtown shooter was raised by a single mother and how homes where the father is kicked out lead to more violence.

Never mind that the shooter — like virtually all mass shooters — was a dude; a woman is always to blame.

The NRA is in a position of weakness now because they are attacking video games and not the real causes of the Newtown tragedy, single motherhood and feminism.  The NRA is in the same boat as the Republican Party where it needs to become an explicitly anti-feminist and pro-mens rights organization to survive.   (Lots of conservative and right wing organizations are in this situation.)  Guns aren’t the problem here, but neither are video games.  The NRA needs to realize this and realize that its only way forward is by fighting feminism.  Anything else leads the NRA to irrelevance.

So one of the most powerful lobbies in American politics needs to team up with a Men’s Rights “movement” that can’t organize a single event that draws a crowd bigger than 8 people, or else it will fade into irrelevance?

I dearly hope the NRA fades into obscurity, and I am hopeful that public opinion about guns is beginning finally to shift in the right direction, but I’m not sure the NRA needs any pointers from MRAs on political relevance.

pecunium

Yes. What she said was problematic.

What he said was evil, and demented, and seen as mainstream.

I don’t know that I can articulate what I think he deserves (in part because that is so far from the worst of what he has said, done, supported and suborned that choosing the proper bolgia for him is hard; there is a wealth of options. He might need to be rotated from one to the other).

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

WHOA! Argenti, that is one cool violin! I’ve never seen that design before.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

*Poirot face*

After the return of the ‘government funded sex-workers’ troll, someone linked to his original appearance. I opened the thread to re-read it because I thought BoyFantastic would find it WTFunny. Then I ignored the open tab for about ten hours because I kept getting distracted. I just went to look at it and what do you know, one comment up from Trollboy’s debut, Pecunium et al are telling Sandra to get unfucked for making rape jokes.

I knew my side-eye was justified.

May Sandra’s perfume render her irresistible to botflies.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

So there was a reason I thought I’d confused her with Ruby? Maybe? I’m gonna go with it.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Good catch, thenat. Yeah, nasty piece of work.

Speaking of which, did you see the stuff David quoted from Government Sex Slaves Girlfriend’s blog? This isn’t some whiny teenager only talking “I’ll kill myself, then you’ll be sorry,” this is really toxic stuff.

I don’t know how to do the link to specific comments so I’ll quote it here. David’s comments are in bold. The rest is troll’s stuff.

Oy. Robert, he said all of these things on his blog (in English, to boot, so there’s no issue with translation):

I viscerally despise cops and wish them the worst. Killing at least one cop is on my bucket list.

If ever a victim of psychiatry, here is what I would do. I would first attempt to kill the cops or whoever tried to apprehend me. Failing that, I would feign docility in order to get out as soon as possible and then kill a representative of the industry as revenge. … killing cops is also very much a men’s issue. Every pig killed is also a blow against feminism, so men should be doubly elated whenever an officer goes down in the line of encroaching on our cognitive liberty.

[I]f you are a victim of psychiatry, it is probably in your best interest (as well as a publicly beneficial act of activism) to kill a guard or cop in order to get a fair public trial and possibly escape treatment before it ruins your health completely.

His comment about “watching” the prosecutor ended with this not-very-subtle reference to someone who had just massacred 77 people:

Clearly seventy-seven body bags wasn’t enough, but I am fairly confident that you will be sorry one day.

See here for specific links to the quotes on his blog:

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Kitteh, I think that was in reference to the OP – it’s what Eivind Berge said (hence the comment about it being in English, Berge is from Sweden).

hellkell
hellkell

Kitteh’s: Government Girlfriends and Berge are two different people, and those gems are form Berge.

Sandra is an asshole. Why’s she’s back, I have no idea.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Whoa, I see what you mean! My mistake, I was reading David’s comment as Robert having written that crap.

::blushes::

Though it sounds like Mr Sad Sack Incel was defending Berge said somewhere … should check that, but gag if he had to have it explained to him.

hellkell
hellkell

Why’s? Really, typing fingers?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

You know there’s a cat responsible for typos. He’s called Sir Gnifers.

I think part of why I thought David was talking about Robert rather than addressing him was the “victim of psychiatry” garbage in Berge’s post – INCrEdIbLy stupid troll was doing similar whining.

Brain fart, I haz it.

hellkell
hellkell

Kitteh: I did the same type of misread with a work email today. Must be the day for it!

pecunium

Hrmn… Sandra shows up, then Robertstam.

I wonder if that correlation is related.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@The Kittehs’

In addition, GovtGirlfriends has this weird love of mass murderers. He thinks they prove his point. He and Berger are similar in that way, too.

It doesn’t seem like that hard a mistake to make.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Evil online brain imps are evil! 😀

Good point, Pecunium. Hmm.

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — may EA do some research, may he suffer this one, of the eyes

“May Sandra’s perfume render her irresistible to botflies.”

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@pecunium

A lot of the trolls do like to get us to approve of awful things. It must be so sad for them to be denied their “gotcha”!

Argenti Aertheri

Thanks kitteh, I really love the thing, it doesn’t quite resonate like a regular violin, but it sounds lovely (at regular ranges anyways, I’m still having issues with that whole sixth position thing, but I think that’s my fingers, not my violin)

whataboutthemoonz

I personally like the GOTCHA trolls.

Boobzers: Stuff.
Troll: Are you by chance saying this totally ridiculous thing that you did not at all even remotely refer to? *crouches down, waiting for GOTCHA to spring*
Boobzers: Nope.

LBT

The gaming elitism folks mention is also heavily weighted for MONEYZ. I mean, shit, I’m GLAD we don’t play games any more; consoles and the games for them are damned EXPENSIVE. Computer games I could maybe get cheaper, but Christ, I live on $200 a month, I have to buy PANTS. And ELECTRICITY.

To be hardcore, it seems, you need to have the cash for it. Which seems an absurd standard of hardcoreness.

Argenti Aertheri

LBT — “I have to buy PANTS” is officially the funniest statement of the night. I realize you’re serious, and the level of annoying this is (PA’s welfare was eighty-fucking-dollars, pants were damned expensive!) but the tone I’m imagining this said in is just too funny.

Also, some friends and I used to have way too many pants related jokes, eg “I’ll be there in pants” meant 5~10 min — this is the source of my “be back in coffee” 🙂

The absurdity plus the good memories…I needed that, thank you.

RE: Argenti

Don’t worry, it’s fine! I have to make it funny because otherwise I’ll just never stop crying. (At my disability hearing, I told her how I was living in a closet and she was floored to find out it didn’t have windows. I told her that I dreamed big: I hoped to live in a room with a window. She seemed pretty boggled by that, and she didn’t even know about it only having two and a half walls!)

I currently own two pairs of pants, and due to meds causing my weight and body shape to fluctuate, it means one of them is a not-so-good fit. Still, until last month, I only had ONE pair of pants, man, so I’m counting my blessings!

Argenti Aertheri

Goddamned, you’re making my $200 a month rent-free feel rich — I’m already buying my mother’s lunch when we’re in Boston, I can cover yours too, I don’t want meeting me/us for lunch to be a burden!

Not to pry, but how does two and a half walls even work? A triangle? (It’s the artist/math geek parts of my brain going “but geometry!”, feel free to ignore this if you don’t want to answer / is too painful to discuss / any other reason)

And try Salvation Army for pants, they’re pretty cheap. That’s where the vast majority of my clothing comes from. Bt if you’d rather stick to joking to avoid crying, well, at least you don’t have to worry about bra shopping anymore right? (Totally understand joking to avoid crying, and it seems healthier than the whiskey that seems very tempting tonight)

RE: Argenti

Yeah, that’s where I’m living at at the moment. I just have… issues spending money. (Spending it on ‘luxuries’ such as milk or new clothes causes me angst.)

And yeah, the room’s a triangle. The roof slants down at a forty-five degree angle to the floor. The two-and-a-HALF is due to one of the walls being raw fiberglass, without an actual covering except for the plastic I staple-gunned onto it. So it’s a wall in that its solid, but not a wall in that you can’t hang anything on it, lean on it, and you can’t get too rough with it or molding molting pink fiberglass will flop on you.

Yeah, I got some army pants, they’ll last forever. Salvation Army and Goodwill definitely saving my ass, clotheswise. And yeah, SO GLAD bras are no longer a problem.

Argenti Aertheri

“Molding molting pink fiberglass” sounds far more poetic than it probably looks or feels, because that sucks, a lot, and I’m sorry.

And sorry for my short reply here, the laughing to avoid crying dam broke over here. Amazingly, not over the whole not breaking up cuz not serious thing, but over the not-an-ex — the not a breakup is driving home just how much I wish we weren’t nearly 500 miles apart and how fucking awesome ze is.

I may break out the whiskey after all, can I interest you in a (virtual) shot?

Hang in there, you guys! If you were in LA I would take you both out for drinks and thrift storing.

pecunium

I don’t forget how “lucky” I am that my disability is 1: service connected, and 2: actually admitted by the VA. Even if I didn’t have a job I’ve got what used to be called a “competence”. So long as I’m not too picky about where I live, I will never be unable to find room/cover board.

I recall the days when my income was a lot lower (in the 2-400 a month range), and I didn’t have anything like the hurdles of mental illness, or physical debilitation. With a part time job and my compensation I am, if not middle class, at least able to maintain the poverty level.

With partners, and friends, I am even comfortable.

Hugs to one and all.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

“I may break out the whiskey after all, can I interest you in a (virtual) shot?”

If you could just put some in my coffee, that would be great.

whataboutthemoonz

Argenti, I’m feeling your pain right now. 🙁

Argenti Aertheri

Atomicgrizzly — assuming you still want that shot, you should consider your coffee Jameson’s-ified

Pecunium — thanks

Whataboutthemoonz — thanks, but hey, at least the reason I’m going to Boston is to see EA — I’ll have to report back on the new costume (you must be seeing the tour somewhere though huh?) …tell me you’ve seen “how to oatmeal”? XD

How to oatmeal

My mother insists that should be “how not to oatmeal”

RE: Argenti, Pecunium, and katz

Yeah. I just got lucky; my friends had a very large attic closet for me to hastily move into, and were willing to give me an air purifier once I discovered that the fluffy pink shit was SPLINTERS IN MY SKIN AND LUNGS AUUUUGH. Then I became acquainted with sheet plastic and a staplegun. (Nothing makes you handy like the pressing threat of homelessness!)

Things’ll get better. I’m saving up money now, courtesy of the ‘money for low-income people while they decide whether disability is a go,’ and waiting for the disability to reject me so I can appeal. I just went through my hearing, which was less painful than expected. (Though I could tell the shrink thought I was a white-hot dissociative mess.)

But I have food, and I have shelter. I’m safe, and I don’t have to move in with my family. I could do far far worse.

whataboutthemoonz

I’m actually not seeing her this time around.

Last time I saw her I did a VIP, though, so I don’t feel like I’m missing much 😛

Argenti Aertheri

Whataboutthemoonz — *jealous* I wish I could afford VIP! And I guess I will have to report back on any substantial changes from last tour (no Contessa! S there must be some)

pecunium

My disability exam was one of the most traumatic days of my life. Four hours with a doctor: two spent going over every aspect of how I move/function, a short break, and then two more going over every inch of me, and seeing how all the history related to how my body actually moves/feels.

The first two hours were the worst. Having to look at all I don’t do as well as I still thought I did… the level of reduced function, painful. and emotionally exhausting.

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — as bad as I’ve heard that to be, they’re sending me to hearing without one. They denied me based on the file of a psych I’d seen like four times (and Dx’ed me depressive disorder -nos, gave me one of the many “contraindications: bipolar” and was all “oops, sorry” when it made me completely fucking nuts)

I’d rather do the exam than a fucking hearing without one. This has been such bullshit, and if I didn’t have an anxiety disorder before! (Two actually…)

pecunium

Argenti: For all the things the VA is slammed about, that seems to be a thing they do fairly well. So long as someone, somewhere; in the military medical system, has treated you for something, they will examine you.

That exam was my hearing. The next thing I heard was five months later when they made the decision.

Argenti Aertheri

My former roommate too — he went for the half a day exam with SSI, got approved ~6 weeks later (there’s a bit of a complex legal matter involved there that got it rushed through, lawyers don’t like having questions like that hanging open regarding their star witness)

Argenti Aertheri

Me? First level denied because I didn’t get paperwork in in time, but wait! Yes I did! Appeal denied because they used just the aforementioned records, and now I’m waiting for an actual hearing.

Can you see why I’m a mess about this? I’m smart enough to know when I’m being toyed with.

pecunium

Where were we talking about cheese? One of my partners and I were talking about it just now, and among other things we decided French is weird.

My theory that it fromage, and laine, etc. were gaulish/gaelic/celitc holdovers, fails. There is a gaulish word which is used for cheese, but it’s really specialised, and has come to mean a specific cheese (the word is blochon and apparently means, “to squeeze, to milk) family.

pecunium

Though English is also weird, because the Old English (pre-Norman) word for cheese is hwaþerian (to foam, to surge). So how did they get cheese, instead of some form of fromage(Old Norman furmage to ferment)

pecunium

That oatmeal video was odd. But I agree with your mother, that is now not to oatmeal… she used rolled oats.

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — that part doesn’t surprise me, I’m pretty sure that’s EA’s vegan kitchen, and I’ve seen some of her recipes, not remotely surprised that quick oats don’t make the cut. It’s the utter failure of “oh no, oh no, OH NO” that pushes it into how not to oatmeal. (And I would not be surprised if Captain Maggots were drunk!)

RE: pecunium and argenti

My exam was draining, but less painful than I expected. It was humiliating to have to expose just how much a wreck I was to a perfect stranger, and exhausting, especially since I expect to have to appeal all this and go through it possibly again. The examiner was much nicer than I expected.

And then I got to go take a long walk, eat some frozen yogurt, and go to a friend’s house to discuss the golem mythos, ancient Carthage, and Tanith Lee, and I felt better.

Argenti Aertheri

Glad yours went well enough, I’m appealing without one because they denied me based on a brand new (and incompetent) psych.

RE: Argenti

I seem fairly lucky. I have a pretty strong paper trail, and so far, I’ve had no trouble with anybody. (Aside from keeping the multi stuff to myself–though in the end, it came out anyway.) We’ll see what happens.

Argenti Aertheri

Yeah, apparently my history of shitty psychs and thus avoiding them is a Bad Thing, in completely the wrong sense >.<

LBT

Yeah, I’ve been lucky. Two psychs ever, and two programs, one of which was really helpful and the other I was out of fairly quickly and still managed to get stuff out of. I don’t know how we lucked out so.

Argenti Aertheri

Cuz Sneak is awesome? I don’t actually know, but congrats all the same!

Interestingly, my psych told the state welfare dept that disability began in 2003, my SSI claim is dated a year ago (um, shouldn’t that default to having been disabled at least a year?!)

pecunium

argenti: I was appalled that she didn’t use cut oats. Rolled oats (we do not mention “quick”) are, “an abomination in the sight of god and all right-thinking men.”