announcements comics funny MRA

Pierre Vs. The Manosphere: A Man Boobz-inspired web comic

pierre

Those of you who aren’t regular readers of the comments here may not be aware of A Voice for Pierre, the hilarious new webcomic by regular Man Boobz commenter Katz, inspired by Man Boobz trolls and dopey Boobz more generally. Here’s the first strip, about a poor paranoid MRA afraid to take his sons to Canada lest they be attacked and possibly killed by wild feminists. Naturally, it’s based on a TRUE STORY.

You can find more Pierre at the A Voice for Pierre website.

pierre1

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

>>>We’ll have some poutine in Quebec and then you’ll see

Let me know when. Best poutine is in Montreal btw, so ya’ll need to come over here. 😉

pecunium

poutine is yummy, if you ask me.

And the cheese is (for, “classic” poutine) cheddar curds (also sold as, “squeakers”), though there are a lot of poutine variants (The Palo Alto Creamery probably still makes the one with parmesan and truffle salt).

You can get squeakers at TJ’s. They are like cheddar, but a little moister,and not as dense.

Quick foray to cheese making.

When the acidulant/rennet is added, the cheese clumps. Those are the “curds”. For different cheeses these are often quite different.

In cheddar the curds are large (between 1/2 and 1 1/2 inches). They taste like cheddar but are a bit less dense. This is because one of the steps in making “firm” cheeses is, “cheddaring” done to all sorts of non-cheddar cheese)., which breaks up the curds, and makes them a lot smaller,so they will compress into a uniform block, rather than a lot of lumps which a loose association.

Things like “marbled” cheddar are made by washing the curds in a liquid (say wine/Guinness) and then compressing them, without “cheddering”.

So, to sum up, if you like cheddar, the cheese ought not put you off poutine.

Worst case, go to a place that makes it, and invite someone along who like poutine, try theirs,and see what you think.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@BlackBloc: Yeah, I definitely wasn’t going to invite everybody down to Cowtown, Alberta for some poutine. Anything we have here is a poor imitation of yours, at best.

Poutine party at BlackBloc’s!

pecunium

I’m fond of the Poutine I’ve had in Ottawa.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’ve heard Ontario poutine can be pretty good! never tried any, myself. Of course, Ottawa’s about… 2600-ish km closer to Montreal than Calgary is, though*, so it’s no surprise that the quality would be higher.

*I think? Man I’m terrible at geography.

pecunium

What with Quebec being right across the river, I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

pecunium

That Beck letter was… wow.

I wish I could leave well enough alone and just be quiet…
…but I’ve had recurring nightmares that I was loved for who I am

I can see where that might be terrifying for him.

Falconer

@nah:

Pfft, i have done better art and issues wise,

How wonderful to see you, too.

Oh and good job at this having a man bare the problem’s and not having women in it even though its woman’s issues.

Pierre’s a guy because the whole concept grew out of a script in which an average guy encounters full-blown MRA conspiracy logic.

MRAs affect men, too. There are plenty of women in the commentariat here, but plenty of men, too (and plenty of neither/both/what-have-you).

In the time of muhammad women were ARGUING with him, telling him its not right to make everyone believe woman are stupid and compare them to donkeys.

I’m no scholar of Islam, but how do we know this? How do you know this? I’m not automatically doubting you, but I’d like to see a source.

The witch burnings, woman were the wise woman, and the church didn’t like it when wise women warned people to stay away from sugar because it ruins the teeth, so the church killed most woman, and only stopped because they were running out of women to make more male babies(the french said that),

I’m almost 100% certain it didn’t happen like that. The Church burned women because they threatened the sugar trade? And only stopped because of impending extinction? Gonna need a source on that, too.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

I know it is way back now, but I have to stick up for jargon in specific contexts. (Like postmodern English articles). Really brilliant articles don’t take twenty words to say what could be said in one jargony word.

Also, I reading “But She Said,” the feminist theology book that coined kyriarchy and it is jargony to the hilt, but beautiful. (And I’m not sure if it should fall under jargon or something else, but that woman loves her some hyphenated ideas and they are really clear, but also…um…jargon.)

Argenti Aertheri

“I’m almost 100% certain it didn’t happen like that.”

I’m entirely sure it didn’t happen like that, but let’s see our newest n00b explain it away.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

I’m reading. (Grumble grumble)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

It’s cute when they pretend to be feminists.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Another n00b who doesn’t even bother looking at numbers. Modern scholars estimate the number of executions for witchcraft in Europe between 1450 and 1750 at between 35 000 and 50 000. 75 to 80% of the victims were women. Hardly a threat to breeding numbers, even with Europe’s population numbers substantially lower in 1500 than 1300 (thanks to the Black Death, mostly).

Falconer

I’m guessing sugar was Big Money, back in the day, but I’m not sure the Pope would have ordered people burned because some countries weren’t maximizing their profits.

Falconer

And the Salem witch trials were fairly clearly about land and exercising political power. IIRC, the judge in a trial at the time was awarded the convicted’s real property, if not personalty.

Bad idea.

It is annoying that the Pierre concept must needs be basically all white dudes (hence why I made Diogenes Asian), but aside from it being based on a single stand-alone script that featured a male Pierre, the comedy value would largely be lost if I switched to the distaff counterpart.

Many of the scripts would be altogether unworkable, because they hinge on MRAs taking a conspiratorial tone towards Pierre and assuming he’s an ally, which doesn’t work if he’s a woman (eg, Paul Elam would never interview a woman for an editor under any circumstances). The rest would lose most of their humor because, if Pierre were a woman, all the aggression would be directed at her, rather than obliquely, and the bemused responses that are the funny part would no longer make sense.

Argenti Aertheri

“@Argenti: I was allowing for my privilege to have blinded me to some nuance or something.”

Nawh, I was just snarking at the n00b — no point saying you’re nearly 100% sure when 2 seconds on google would confirm that your right (that’s still not coming out right, sorry, I’m running on lots of caffeine).

Hey Pecunium / better than salt money — was sugar ever treated similar to salt? I don’t recall that being the case, but my brain has about 1,000 years of history that sums to “and there was the plague”.

Karalora
Karalora

If it helps, katz, Pierre reads as part First Nations to me due to his coloration. But yeah, he does have to be a dude.

Ooh, I will have to make that canonical. I guess he is French/Native American, then?

titianblue
titianblue

French/Scottish/Native American with a surname like that ….

lowquacks

Decided to have a little fun. Should I?

The picture’s Katz’ icon-sized Pierre.

hellkell
hellkell

lowquacks, the browser tabs really made the whole thing.

lowquacks

Oh, you know, just the things I had open at the time. Pretty usual stuff for me.

Love it! Pierre is so very blatantly misandrist.

cloudiah

Laughage! So much laughage!

Except please don’t actually do it, because it’ll just attract a swarm of trolls to my comic.

cloudiah

We need to preserve that image, though! Can you do that on your comic, or should I immortalize it on my (neglected) blog?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

And I’ve already got one of Elam’s flying monkeys monitoring me on Jezebel.

(Or at least he was, you’d hope he’d have given up by now since I haven’t commented on there in ages.)

Sure, I could post it in my comic. I also want to make a cast bio page.

cloudiah

@Cassandra, really? You do get the fixated trolls, don’t you?
@katz, a cast bio sounds like a brilliant idea.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

It was Alex? Alec? The one with the Russian surname.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I didn’t read Pierre as automatically being white. His skin tone’s dark enough to suggest he could be from various backgrounds. I really like the First Nations/Scots/French idea.

OMG I HAVE SCOTS ANCESTRY WE COULD BE RELATED

Maybe I’ll need to come up with a good First Nations middle name for Pierre, then.

In other news, OH NO DIOGENES IS IN HIS HOUSE!

cloudiah

Alex/Alec Novy?

DIOGENES FOLLOWED PIERRE HOME!!!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The picture in Pierre’s house reminded me of my all-time favorite sports-related ad campaign.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

omg Pierre cuddling kitty

dies of adorbs

justeunperdant

Hi thenatfantastic

I agree with you. It is like a wheel that is blue and red at the same. But be sure the it is because the wheel is misogyny in the wrong way by being red. Longways if the wheel was blue at least I could she care about the women right, but red what is tat u4 ue4mv;

Looking forward to read you answer.

Cast page now up.

Say, I know we have some CSS gurus around; anyone interested in having a crack at Pierre’s style sheet? It’s only a comicfury default right now.

lowquacks

You’ve got a type in Pierre’s bit. Love the descriptions!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’m seeing Poutine having a selection of hats now, and Pierre having to put her choice of the day on for her every morning. 🙂

lowquacks

While we’re on comics, A Softer World’s latest effort reminds me a little of an old regular here.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Poutine is the awesomeist and has the awesomeist name ever.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Lowquacks, I think he’s one of us.

lowquacks

Does “poutine” in a suitably Canadian accent sound more like “protein” or “Putin”?

clairedammit
clairedammit

And I see that A Softer World is drawn by two people.

lowquacks

Photographed/designed by one and written by another, I believe.

Sorry, where is the typo? I don’t see it.

“have take him”

Argenti Aertheri

“Pierre MacKenzie
Pierre is an ordinary French-First Nations-Scottish Canadian. His career-hopping ways have take him from Quebec to Sydney to Washington, DC. Mild-mannered, polite, and inclined to think the best of everyone, he doesn’t deserve the endless parade of men’s rights activists who dog his every step.”

Your typo, and post a sketch or drop a link for wtf you want it to look like and I’ll see what I can cook up. I like the simplicity, but could remove some of the “I am a table” look.

cloudiah

“His favorite Jelly Belly flavor is tangerine.” LOL. I don’t know why that detail was so funny, but it was.