antifeminism MRA reddit top troll TROOOLLLL!! whaaaaa?

Drama! On Reddit, “Mikhael_Varpole” denies everything

Those following the strange tale of Man Boobz’ recently crowned Troll of the Year for 2012 will be intersted to know that someone calling himself Mikhael_Varpole has done a self-post on the Men’s Rights Subreddit claiming that he’s not MRAL after all and declaring me a liar. Here’s his explanation, FWIW.

MRmralvarpoledenial

I’ll be keeping him banned, in any case; even if this serial liar and sockpuppeter is telling the truth about this (highly unlikely, in my opinion), he’s still a serial liar and sockpuppeter.

Also, for the record, he wasn’t using a “similar” IP as Scooby Doo/MRAL; it was the same IP. And he was using the IP before I called him out for sockpuppeting as Torvus Butthorn — which is what he’s referring to, dishonestly of course, when he talks about doxxing.

He’s clearly just trying to stir up more shit, but it looks like the folks in r/mensrights aren’t biting.

Anyway, I guess we can consider this his Troll of the Year acceptance speech.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

Sorry about the hanging parenthesis and event should be even. I’ll drink more coffee and hope my typos drop off.

CassandraSays

No worries, I just made an epic typo/failure to delete redundant words in the other thread. Coffee isn’t kicking in yet.

thenatfantastic

It’s like a really shitty and unenjoyable horror film with an awful villain that does manage to have that one unsettling twist.

The troll was in the house the entire time!

CassandraSays

At this point I just hope that he’s not in David’s house.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

That is a really great way of describing it, lauralot.

lauralot89

Originally I was going to compare it to the ending of Manos: The Hands of Fate, but I actually liked Torgo, so I switched it up.

lauralot89

At this point I just hope that he’s not in David’s house.

Watch, his next sockpuppet will try to convince us that he actually is or something. “David, did you know you talk in your sleep?”

Some Gal Not Bored at All

I was thinking “I Know Who Killed Me,” but that movie is so exquisitely bad that I love it and have seen it an embarrassing number of times. I wouldn’t watch “Steele” again for anything. (Although I do want to get around to reading a thread he’s in again just to help my brain.l stick you know who in for Steele.)

lauralot89

I went to go find clips of Birdemic: Shock and Terror, because I have to do that every time bad movie discussions come up, and low and behold, someone put the entire movie on Youtube. I guess that’ll happen when you can’t afford a copyright for your film.

Actually, the creepy parts of this movie is the way the guy pursues the girl during the first half romance.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

Coffee is apparently not working fast enough on my typos. It is also not helping my proofreading.

CassandraSays

At a certain point you reach overcaffeination and then the shaky hands set in.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

“I Know Who Killed Me” has the lovely line “Hospitals are for rich people.” as a response to being told to go to an emergency room to treat her out-of-the-blue case of finger-falling-off. Even George W. Bush knew that wasn’t true. (His idea was crap, but the point stands.)

Also, if you ever watch the movie, count the number of lamps in the main character’s bedroom. We’ve spotted something like 27.

lauralot89

Did we ever figure out what the color yellow was meant to symbolize in I Know Who Killed Me? Or was that just the default color for anyone not Aubrey or Dakota?

CassandraSays

Mr Al is like one of those really crappy horror movies that is scary not because of any skill that went into it in terms of plot, characters, etc, but because as you watch you come to realize that the director has some serious issues with women.

(I’m looking at you, Cold Fish. Seriously, never rent that movie.)

lauralot89

@CassandraSays Now I’m thankful I’ve never come across a film like that. I think the closest to that kind of horror I’ve watched was The Wickerman remake, but that was so inept that it was just hilarious even with the attitude toward women.

CassandraSays

By the time Cold Fish was over Mr C and I were both sitting there with our jaws halfway to the floor. And then we turned to each other and said “why the hell did we watch that?”.

lauralot89

Is that Cold Fish, the 2010 Japanese film, or is there another Cold Fish I should be avoiding?

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@lauralot

I’m still hung up on the owls. It seems like they should mean something, but all I can get is them symbolizing “watching,” which is somehow worse than them meaning nothing.

lauralot89

I just remembered: I really disliked the French horror film Martyrs. I thought it started off promising, but the second half just devolved into “let’s show an attractive woman being tortured over and over with some flimsy justification about why young women are the best for our torture purposes!” Urgh. I was assured it was so brilliant and moving. What a waste of time.

CassandraSays

It’s the Japanese one. Let’s just say that the appearance of “people sushi” is one of its less horrifying aspects.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

@lauralot89, did you just invoke the name of The Wickerman Remake? That film was god-awful! “THE BEEZ! THE BEEEEEEEEZ!”

The original was pretty good though.

CassandraSays

BTW, to put that in perspective, Oldboy is one of my favorite movies, and I laughed my way through parts of Audition. It takes a lot to produce a “wtf is wrong with the person who directed this?” response from me.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

Takashi Miike is what’s wrong. Go watch Visitor Q or Ichi the Killer. They make Audition look like Mr. Rogers.

CassandraSays

I’ve seen both, and although Miike definitely has lady issues (and a particularly fucked up attitude towards sex workers), he’s practically a feminist compared to the dude who made Cold Fish.

lauralot89

I recently watched a completely awful horror film called The Bunny Game about a trucker kidnapping and torturing a prostitute. The big gimmick was that everything that happened in the movie – the woman being chained up and screamed at, having a mark branded onto her skin, etc. – was actually done to the actors. I had been told it had some profound statement to make about sex work or misogyny or something I can’t remember, and one of the people proclaiming that was the lead actress. It did not have a statement. It was just violence for the sake of violence with absolutely nothing to say, and for watching a film where I knew everything I was seeing was real, it was still boring as all hell. I don’t know how that’s possible.

The most disturbing thing about it is that any actors agreed to participate.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

I think the worst park of Miike is his obvious lactation fetish, displayed prominently in both Visitor Q and Gozu.

I remember Visitor Q being more sympathetic to the sex workers.

CassandraSays

At least the (pretentious and possibly deranged) actress from that movie agreed to what was going on. One of the reasons I’m saying that Miike has lady issues is that he extended the scenes in which one woman is beaten in Ichi far longer than necessary just because he didn’t like the actress playing the character. He thought this was funny.

And yet he still doesn’t produce the same visceral revulsion in me that the dude who made Cold Fish does. We made the mistake of watching the interview segment that came with the DVD. That was the point at which Mr C turned to me and said “some day that man is going to kill a woman”.

lauralot89

I’ve toyed around with the idea in the past of doing feminist reviews of horror films. If I ever actually get around to that, I may have to check this awful-sounding Cold Fish thing out.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

“one woman is beaten in Ichi far longer than necessary just because he didn’t like the actress playing the character. He thought this was funny.”

Didn’t know that. That’s a weird factoid…

CassandraSays

If you have a strong enough stomach to sit through it that thing is a goldmine of misogyny. Especially given that the plot is based on an actual case involving multiple murders and the director somehow managed to make it even worse than the real thing was.

Also, part of the plot revolves around a store that I can only describe as Hooters the Tropical Fish Emporium. The best part is that the writer/director thought that he was writing a morality play that would make the world a better place.

CassandraSays

Another weird factoid – some of the semen in Ichi is the real thing. There was a member of the production team whose task was to collect it. You could not pay me enough to work for Miike.

lauralot89

I just looked up Cold Fish on Wikipedia. Apparently it won the best screenplay award at Fantastic Fest. That doesn’t speak well for their selection process.

CassandraSays

The funny thing is that it’s not one of those things that is only horrifying to women, Mr C was all “need to go wash my brain out with bleach now” too.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Possibly only horrifying to feminists?

I am making reckless assumptions here. 😉

CassandraSays

Horrifying to feminists, men who like women, anyone who doesn’t enjoy realistic depictions of bodies being cut up into sushi-size bits, anyone who doesn’t firmly believe that all women get off on being abused, and that the only woman who should survive at the end of a movie is the one who didn’t have sex.

CassandraSays

Actually if we were to make a list of the horror movies in which you know that any female character who gets laid is going to die then we’d probably be here all day.

lauralot89

Oh, so that’s what the film entails? The Wikipedia article was very light on the actual plot elements. That sounds not entertaining at all.

CassandraSays

Like I said before, the dude who made the movie is seriously fucked up.

lauralot89

Well that all sounds horrible.

CassandraSays

Yup. I’m giving Fantastic Fest some serious side-eye right now.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

I hate when people (who am I kidding? It is practically always women) get hit nonconsensually and then all of a sudden realize they like it. They pulled that shit on Weeds, too. And it is basically the whole plot of 50 Shades. Ugh.

lauralot89

There’s no chance the director was trying to make some sort of really inept statement about the way things as portrayed in the film are wrong, is there? Or was his interview all about how awesome and true to life his film was?

CassandraSays

He definitely thought he was making a deep and meaningful point about something, not sure what. Having seen three of his movies though (that was the last one) you can start to track the misogyny, and in particular the idea that women who want sex are evil and insane, and that being evil and insane makes women want sex. There’s a lot of Catholic iconography in his first movie, I almost wonder if that’s part of what’s going on with him, some sort of religious guilt gone horribly wrong.

@ Some Gal

Yeah, that’s the thing, this wasn’t BSDM, it was totally “see if a woman doesn’t want sex and you’re just dominant enough she’ll start to want it regardless of what she said to start with”. The way Mr C put it was that it was the most blatant example of the belief that women secretly want to be raped that he’d ever seen.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

Yeah. The Weeds one wasn’t with rape (although the guy does rape her later),.which I suppose makes it better? The 50 Shades stuff has lots of rape, but since her inner goddess loves it, I guess that makes her verbal no meaningless. smh

CassandraSays

That’s actually what I meant by saying this guy makes Miike look positively feminist. There’s a horrifying rape scene in Ichi, but the thing is, it’s still made very clear that the woman being raped isn’t enjoying it. With Cold Fish, not so much. It’s kind of like, what’s the exact inverse of empathy? That’s the way the guy who made that movie looks at women.

atomicgrizzly
atomicgrizzly

I think the opposite of empathy is apathy. What you’re talking about is pure loathing.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

The opposite of empathy toward woman is also how I would describe the attitude of whoever made Hot Tub Time Machine except they joke about male rape, too. So, lack of empathy toward anyone on the “receiving end” of sex, which is mostly women (and all women are) and occasionally men (but they get to be other things as well). I think it is the most misogynistic film I’ve ever seen.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@atomicgrizzly
Rather than off/on, apathy/empathy, it could be a scale with something I don’t have a word for (something like combining apathy with loathing?) on one end, empathy on the other, and apathy in the middle.

That’s how I interpreted what CassandraSays said.

CassandraSays

That one scene in Cold Fish is definitely the most misogynistic thing I’ve ever seen on film. It’s the only time I can recall that a scene in a movie has left me feeling disturbed for days afterwards. That and the scene where dude # 2 stabs the wife of dude # 1 while he’s fucking her and she just laughs hysterically like it’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened. I think what bothers me about it isn’t just the sexual violence, it’s that the director is actively removing any sense of subjectivity from the female characters and having them act out the feelings of the hypothetical angry misogynistic viewer, so he’s replacing the women’s feelings with the feelings of the viewers. It’s horrifying.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Soooooo, a “Nce Guy” (TM) wrote this screenplay?:
“There is an actual plot involving two tropical fish store owners, one of whom has been murdering rivals, business partner, etc, and his wife who’s as batshit as he is, and who then transfers her affections to the guy who kills him because apparently she just gets off on that kind of thing. Oh, and the first guy rapes the second guy’s wife, except in the middle when she tries to get away and he starts hitting her she goes all OH PLEASE HIT ME MORE YOU MANLY MAN YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH.”

You know, what’s their battle cry?Oh yes — “All women wants jerks who treat them like shit!”
Movies like make them feel justfied, though they keep forgetting that it’s what happens in actual reality that counts.

I saw all the movies you guys mentioned above. The Audition threw me for the biggest loop because it started off kinda frumpy then veered into OHMIGODOHMIGOD-land. Ichi the Killer left me with a weird kind of hang-over. Like I had spent two hours staring directly into a strobe light.