Tom Martin top troll TROOOLLLL!! whaaaaa?

The Man Boobz Troll of the Year Award for 2012 goes to … MRAL! No, that’s not a typo.

scoobydoounmask

The votes are in and the winner of the highly coveted Man Boobz Troll of the Year Award for 2012 is … MRAL!

Wait, you say, he wasn’t even on the ballot?

Well, no. The troll that got the most votes from you, my dear readers, was the verbose anti-Man Boobz crusader known as Steele —  also known as Mikhael Varpole and, briefly, as Torvus Butthorn. Indeed, Steele cruised to victory, getting 47% of the vote, as compared with the 33% received by Tom Martin, his only real competitor. (Dr. Pell came in third, with a mere 6% of the total.)

But as it turns out we’ve been played, big time. The troll we know and love as Steele turns out to have been MRAL all along.

Yes, that MRAL – the long banned commenter who cannot seem to walk away from this blog. We’ve uncovered and banned many of his previous sockpuppets, but somehow he managed to slip his boldest sockpuppet right by us.

Oh, sure. I and others here often wondered if Steele was for real; it seemed pretty clear to me that he couldn’t possibly believe everything he said. But it wasn’t until I went back  to some of “Steele’s” earliest comments here, in preparation for this post, that I discovered how justified these suspicions had been. Turns out that one of “Mikhael Varpole’s” IP addresses matched one used by an earlier troll, Scooby Doo on Zombie Island, who had been outed as MRAL a couple of months earlier.

D’OH!

“Torvus Butthorn” really should have been a dead giveaway. But otherwise the highly dedicated MRAL did a masterful job of keeping his troll character consistently ridiculous yet plausible enough to not be an obvious phony, and of hiding his particular obsessions in such a way that he didn’t give himself away.

So, congrats, MRAL, and you’re banned again.

After this, the rest of the results are a bit of an anticlimax.

Sunshine Mary wins the Special-est Snowflake award for Female MRA Trolls, with 52% of the vote. Driversuz comes in second with 32%.

Tom Martin easily wins the Worst Human Being award with a stunning 73% to David K Meller’s 22%.

Some Guy Bored With Your Schtick wins Most Tiresome with 58% of the vote; Diogenes is a distant second with 24%.

And JudgyBitch wins Most Pathetic Vote Beggar.

I hope they’re not all MRAL too.

The Omega Woman
The Omega Woman

Oh my goodness. My dream of an entire novel in Steele’s inimitable style (yes, there were some good mockeries, but they were mockeries of the ultimate mockery) may one day come true. That level of good-bad is bloody difficult to sustain.

And if the original persona is a finely honed fiction then it’s also an emotionally involving and frustrating one and thus even more impressive.

In its warped way I can see the appeal of that kind of sockpuppetry. It combines creativity and twisted mischief and it’s just a shame that it’s ultimately basically negative. I just hope that whatever human actually lurks under all the layers finds something to do with all this energy that isn’t quite so pitiful.

KittySnide

that is a Shyamalanian (pre-2001) twist right there! the dedication and attention to detail, oh mylanta.
so on the one hand WHOA. but on the other hand MrTorvButtAl needs to go find some more edifying pursuits. and perhaps start prepping for NaNoWriMo.

Myoo
Myoo

He certainly earned the title anyway. Here’s a trophy I made.

sunshinemary

Aw, shucks you guys.

I’ve posted my acceptance speech on my own blog.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Soooooo pathetic. I’m not giving him cred for being creative either…it’s too easy to lie online. He’s basically a glorified prank caller who desperately needs off-line hobbies. He was entertaining to me in a petty kind of way — ’cause who doesn’t hate bad writing?

Shiraz
Shiraz

Oh, sunshine, pirating Sally Field’s speech. Wow! So fucking lame. I thought maybe you wrote something on your own.
So fucking lame.

sunshinemary

I should hasten to add that I am not a feMRA though. I reject all labels other than the banner of Christ.

Ranter (@socialrants)

Wow, he really put some time and effort into that show. I’m actually kind of glad he’s only trolling blogs, if he put that much work into real life activities (assuming the views he represented are at least real) he could do some serious damage.

cloudiah

Myoo, both of those are wonderful. I have to update my blogpost about Steelepole with this revelation, and I will use the one disguised with the funny glasses.

pecunium

Sunshine: You are what you are.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Myoo, your second trophy made me lol.

Myoo
Myoo

@cloudiah
Glad you like them.

Anyway, I’m off to bed now, it’s way too late where I live.

hrovitnir

Ah ha ha ha. I cannot help but find this surreally hilarious. That was epic. I cannot believe he put that much effort into pretending to be a DIFFERENT intellectually dishonest troll! O_o

Now if only Mr. Al can take that dedication and turn it into getting a life, it would be real progress.

Pretty much. I think if the initial coming out was actually real and he’s really that young there is a possibility he could grow into a decent person… or at least a not-terrible person. Hopefully he’s done here now though. *rolls eyes so damn hard*

Polliwog

I have been certain for some time that Steele was a Poe, but I never particularly connected him to MRAL. That’s creepy/hilarious. Creeplarious?

MRAL, seriously, for all that you continuing to come back here is pretty sketchy, Steele was frequently a genuinely funny character – if you use that talent for comedy to do something better than troll a blog, I think you could make some pretty cool shit. 🙂

eline
eline

The funny thing is I kinda decided in my head a while ago most of the trolls are one or two (max three) people because I can’t tell them apart. One Owly, one Martin and apparently one MRAL. That is all there is to them.

Melody

I never voted because I guess I don’t know the trolls well enough because I’m fairly new to manboobz.
I’ll look for the names in the future (some of them I did recognize).

Karalora

Come to think of it, “vyle” should have been a clue. Remember ‘fymynyst?”

WeeBoy
WeeBoy

Noooo, you cant ban him! That level of dedication needs rewarding! And besidrs, if hes online at least we know where he is.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

Zoinks!

Amused

Jesus, sunshinemary, you couldn’t come up with anything cleverer? That acceptance speech is pretty pathetic even for you.

Maude LL
Maude LL

Beware of the MRA army! He’s invading!

Maude LL
Maude LL

@ David
Can we at least read Steely’s acceptance speech? Pretty please?

thebewilderness

He reminds me of David Brame. That is the kind of stalker, deceitful, abuser shit he did all the time.

pecunium

He had to have been laughing at this but does Steele/Varpole have a high IQ since that was comparing him to himself. There were some small tells, but lost in the not unclever verbiage, and the (general) lack of obsession on specific people.

lauralot89

If ever we needed to prove that Mr. Al has boundary issues and doesn’t understand no means no…

Holy fuck.

lumi
lumi

Well, that was an unexpected plot twist. Hilarious yet disturbing.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Wow. Next year’s trolls are going to have to seriously exert themselves if they have any hope at all of topping that. That was epic. And a little disturbing. I missed Mr Al’s final meltdown (I seem to miss most of the big meltdowns), but I was fully engaged with Steele for a while. Did not see that coming at all.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

OK, in all seriousness, that boy needs help.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

If Tom is a troll he’s the British version of Westboro Baptist Church.

WOW.

I have to give credit for the bad writing. Real attention to detail there.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I went back and read a few of Steele’s earliest posts and his writing wasn’t so bad. I wonder if he was just trying to sound pompous and we gave him hell for it, so he ramped it up to get more attention? Remember how bad his writing was as Josephine, too? That’s why I didn’t think Jo was Mr. Al, because Mr. Al at least could string together a coherent sentence.

Jayem Griffin

WHAAAAAAAAT. I was sort of disappointed until I read the article! That is… wow. Just wow. I’m genuinely impressed.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Remember “toe the dogma”? Good times, good times.

BigMomma
BigMomma

Well,knock me down with a feather. I kinda wish we could have one last poke at MR SteAL. I am pretty impressed.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

HAHAHA. Wow. Oh my glob. Talk about the long con. MRAL just skyrocketed past even Pell as an epic sockpuppeteer. That certainly explains how Steele so often seemed to be consciously having fun.

If it weren’t so funny, it would be dreadfully sad.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Myoo, those trophies are perfect!

Funny thing though, the second one looks like it should be called Uncle Monty.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“OK, in all seriousness, that boy needs help.” — seriously Mr. Al, Torvis Butthorn, Varpole, Steele, Josephine, and whatever other names you’ve used, find another hobby. May I recommend 1,000+ piece puzzles? They take about the level of dedication you’ve put in here, while being far better for your mental health.

Count me among the seriously surprised though!

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Holy plot-twist, Batman! The chattering misogynistic pain-in-the-arse was… a different chattering misogynistic pain in the arse. I’m not sure whether I’m impressed that he stayed in character so well for so long, or deeply worried.

It’s also funny that he’d do something as weak-sauce as Josephine at the same time. Do you think he wanted Jo to get found out, or what? Someone capable of a character as consistent as Steele shouldn’t get caught up on “I saw a bra once.”

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Alcohol, it’s a terrible thing really.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Perhaps he really was drunk-posting with Josephine? If not, it was like a controlled explosion. Or implosion, maybe – started more or less coherent and slid into a rambling mess. Which is pretty good socking if it was all done deliberately. Suggests even Mr Al is just an act, though, to me.

Maybe, but I think he likes being found out. He’s not one of those that denies it to the death; a bit like Pell, he really, really craves attention and just doesn’t get what he wants unless we know it’s him.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

I think Josephine was a red herring.

Post drunkenly as Josephine, huzzah we found another Mr Al sock, and then he can keep Steele-ing away under the radar.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I wish he’d find a new act instead of Diogenes the Terminally Tedious, though. Makes Abnoy look interesting.

talacaris
talacaris

Wow, this is incredible, and a well-deserved award! Congratulations! Is it possible to get an apprentis-ship to study for you?

Futrelle: Did I got any votes in the vote beggar category? Was I close to winning?

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Holy frijole!

I am also that strange mixture of a) shocked, b) impressed and c) completely creeped out.

Also a bit sad because if Steelepole is now banned, all the good trolls have gone. Even Sunshine Squickpants only visits us if we call her by name. It’s been ages since F1r5tJ03 came to tell us his latest conspiracy.

If all we’re left with is talacaris, Dingleberry and John Anderson I might have to start my own damn sock. Abnoy has shown a little promise but not enough conspiracy theories for my liking.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The only way the current lot could become interesting is if Abnoy turned out to be a poe who has no interest at all in anime and who just wanted to see how much women on average dislike hardcore otaku.

Xanthë

Seriously great plot twist! I really didn’t see that one coming, after the Anti-ManBoobz blog and everything. Stunning.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Oh man, I just started looking at the thread Cloudiah(?) linked to. It’s from July and people were wondering why Ruby didn’t just go away already then. I was shocked but then remembered once having a go at the Scooby Doo on Zombie Island sock and being pissed off that Ruby voiced her support for me, and that was in March because I remember it was the day that I moved house. So not only has MrSte-Al been going for nine months, Ruby’s been unwelcome but still posting here for more than that.

Creepy trolls are creepy.