antifeminism disgusting women evil women evo psych fairy tales I'm totally being sarcastic internal debate men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny MRA oppressed men playing the victim rape rapey reddit TROOOLLLL!!

Battle of the Banned (Man Boobz trolls)

An army of miniskirted shooterers prepares to oppress men with their legs.
Miniskirted cyclists prepare to oppress men with their legs.

Feeling nostalgic for some of the Man Boobz trolls of yore? Well, head over to the Men’s Rights subreddit, where two of the greats most terrible are having a battle of wits. It all started when Man Boobz Troll of the Year 2011 NWOslave offered his opinions in a thread discussing Swaziland’s recent banning of “rape-provoking” miniskirts.

Most of the Men’s Rights regulars in the discussion seem to understand that blaming women’s clothing for rape is a bit backward, and rests upon the notion that men are slavering beasts who can’t control their violent and sexual urges when “provoked” by women who aren’t completely covered up.  (Funny how the Men’s Rightsers seem to forget this every time a Slut Walk gets mentioned.)  But NWOslave, who hasn’t posted much here since I put him on permanent moderation, has a slightly different take on the whole miniskirts-causing-rape issue.

MRnwo1

As you can see, his theories on the rape-causative properties of miniskirts did not go over well with the regulars.

But NWOslave perservered, explicating some of the implications of his theories.

MRnwo2

And who needs logic or proof when you have “reality” on your side?

MRNWO3

Despite all the downvotes, NWOslave managed to find a couple of allies, including prolific  r/mensrights regular MaunaLoona (whom we discussed only yesterday), who offered this sarcastic response to those downvoting Slavey, before moving on to outright rape apologetics:

MRnwo8

He also got some support from someone going by the name of Pecanpig.

MRnwo4

Then someone else very familiar to long-time Man Boobz readers arrived on the scene, and the battle kicked into full gear. By which I mean it degenerated into bitter namecalling and weird accusations.

That hero for truth and righteousness against NWOslave’s backwards notions? None other than the prolific and infuriating long-banned Man Boobz troll Eoghan, who posts under the name Sigil1 on the Men’s Rights subreddit. Sigil1 started off his attack with one word:

MRnwo5

Yes, that’s right. Apparently unaware that Sigil1 is a fellow former Man Boobz troll of great repute, NWOslave assumed that he was one of those miniskirt-wearing harlots.

MRNWO6

But Sigil1/Eoghan had an accusation of his own:

MRnwo7

Perhaps it’s time to reveal my grand secret: I am NWOslave. I am Sigil1/Eoghan. I am Paul Elam, JohnTheOther, and GirlWritesWhat. I am WF Price. I am Tom Martin. I am Roissy/Heartiste. I am RooshV. I am every gropey PUA. I am every MGTOWer. I am every teenage boy who calls women “cunts” on XBOXlive, every angry OKCupid dude who hurls threats and invective at the women who turn them down. I am every Anita-Sarkeesian-hating video gamer, every Rebecca-Watson-hating atheist. I do not merely mock misogyny; I am misogyny!

And I am really, really busy.

isabeleve
isabeleve

I bet these men would be the first to call a woman in loose/body-covering clothing frumpy and act like she’s personally oppressing them by not being sexy enough.

By the way, what is with this idea that women have it so easy because men just offer them sex wherever they go? I’m a woman and yet somehow I have yet to receive multiple offers of sex while grocery shopping or riding the subway. I see this assumption a lot and it makes me wonder if other women are leading vastly different lives.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

It really is funny to watch Slavey taking his “wearing clothes is women’s sexuality” show on the road. Has he shared his theories about the Disney channel yet?

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Well, I guess that little revelation explains why there’s sometimes a bit of a gap between posts.

Carry on.

Starla
Starla

David Futrelle, I absolutely love your sense of humor! Also good to know that not all MRAs are rape apologists…

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

I don’t know, from what David has here it doesn’t seem like NWO was really putting his effort into it. Did NWO really explain his entire theory of womens sexuality? Including how we wear see through clothes at the shoppiing malls?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I want him to tell them all about his theory about how the reason there were eunuchs in ancient China is the old-timey ladies enjoyed sexually torturing the eunuchs by getting them aroused and then not having sex with them. He should share the theory about how 12 year olds wear capri pants specifically to sexually frustrate adult men too.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

I think the problem is that MRAs may be prone to staying silent when the really nasty shit gets posted, which to anyone reading implies a tacit acceptance.

On the other hand, some MRAs seem to be politically and socially savy enough to see how society at large responds to the shit the movement says. I’ve been noticing a slight increase in MRAs who want things toned down so that their viewpoints become mainstream. The fact that their views are mainstream and the real difference is to what degree people are willing to own up to seems to get missed.

cloudiah

I am totally creeped out by Slavey’s comment about how he “keep[s] his sex in the bedroom” because for some reason that makes me think he is keeping someone imprisoned.

Mainly, though, I wanted to make sure everyone saw katz’s newest Pierre cartoon, so I am spamming this new thread with a link to it. It is a thing of beauty, and a joy forever.

Jayem Griffin

First thought upon reading the Men’s Rights redditors reactions to Slavey: Oh honey, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Starla
Starla

Loved this thread! Hilarious! Can there be more? Is there more of MRAs arguing?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

See, I was thinking that by “sex” he meant “penis” (he is after all rather literal) and he’d decided not to flash the children at the jungle gym no matter how much ankle they exposed. I was actually rather relieved.

cloudiah

Do you think he keeps his penis in his bedroom? That reminds me of this not very good song:

Shiraz
Shiraz

Hey David, thanks for banning that guy. *shakes head slowly*

dualityheart

Even female animals that go into heat (not all animals go into heat/estrus, and humans do not, otherwise women would get huge ass-swellings once a month when we were ovulating) get to CHOOSE their mates. In fact, by and large, in the animal world, if a male attempts to mate with a female animal, she’ll practically bite his face off. And most mating practices involve males displaying themselves or looking attractive in order to ATTRACT a female. There are some animals that resort to gang rape (ducks….*shudder*) but even in that instance, female ducks actually have the ability to inhibit the depositing of rapist sperm, and actually have been observed and studied as “choosing” sperm she wants to fertilize her eggs with.

Of course, the whole “hypersexualized” animal argument falls flat on its face anyway because humans are sentient, intelligent beings with morality and reason. I find it utterly disgusting that MRAs will on one hand argue that men are paragons of logic and intelligence but then on the other hand somehow ALSO sweaty lust-filled apes who can’t stop themselves from raping everyone in sight. I mean, seriously, which is it?

One of my friends said it best when he said that even if the average guy were in the middle of having sex, if his mom walked in the door, he’d have pulled out and have somehow put on his shorts in less than .5 of a second. The whole “but I *had* to rape her because short skirts were involved” thing is a crock of shit.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I can’t search it out at work, but Slavey with detachable penis makes me think he’s actually the apprentice in the Oglaf cartoons – that happened to him once! (I spent hours yesterday laughing myself silly over them. I blame Falconer.)

I have a terrible feeling David is building up to revealing that HE IS CEILING CAT.

hellkell
hellkell

“False ditchomy.” HAHAHA. Never change, NWO. Stay classy mofo.

I wonder if he’s shared his thoughts on Russian and Spanish sharing an alphabet. Or superdogs. Or any of his other crackpot theories.

Damn, he was pretty good in his troll prime. A massive asshole to be sure, but this new crop is really beat in comparison.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Owly typically plays into something addressed by Waleed Aly in The Age this morning. He’s talking about the latest Indian gang rape and the protests, and more generally about power and dispossession, but this part is particularly relevant:

The most central misogynist flaw here is to present rape as primarily sexual – as a kind of aggravated sex – rather than as primarily violent. That obscures the fact that rape is an expression of domination and dehumanisation. Such mischaracterisations of rape are easily critiqued, but there’s a bigger theme that drives them: the preservation of power and privilege.

Sexualised understandings of rape come overwhelmingly from men with cultural or political authority. That is, they come from the very people they exonerate. That’s what being disempowered is about. It’s being denied the means even to describe the problems you face. Whether it’s women in India, or asylum seekers in Australia, their problems are defined for them, complete with solutions that aren’t in their interests. That’s why the rich define class war as the envy of the working class, rather than the dominance of the ruling class. Problems are defined to suit the existing power structure and allow it to avoid accountability

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Oh yeah, ditchomy! I want to know what a ditchomy is. Is it a ditch superdogs like digging around in?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Just think of all the joys that the Redditors have yet to discover! He hasn’t even started talking about the New World Order yet. Someone should post the Book of Larnin for them as a primer.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

A ditchomy is when two different things enrage you, so you throw them both in a ditch.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

LOL!

whataboutthemoonz

+1 for Oglaf! 😀

I actually for real winced while I was reading NWOslave’s comments. (I kind of want to know if he might be allowed to come off of moderation just for this thread, but I don’t want another 1000 comments….)

Falconer

(I spent hours yesterday laughing myself silly over them. I blame Falconer.)

Guilty as charged! Can’t remember what I posted, though 🙁 And I can think of far worse things to be blamed for than turning someone onto Oglaf.

My sibling was surprised to discover that I knew about Oglaf already this Christmas. We discovered it independently of each other, and xie thought I would be too prim for it. Xie amused and mildly shocked. Meanwhile, I never thought xie would ever discover it. It came up when we were discussing Beowulf, and I mentioned this one.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’m not surprised you don’t remember the thread! I’ve been trawling ones from early last year, so it was probably May ’11 or thereabouts. I think someone had mentioned MGTOW and you had a link to the one about the barbarian (can’t recall his name) whose tribe has been untainted by women forever, and who’s shocked when his son is a daughter. Newborn baby promptly tears up a few wolves and daddy says she really is his son. 😛

If someone had told me what Oglaf was, I probably wouldn’t have read it, or expected to like it. But it’s a hoot!

That link only goes to the main page, btw.

Okay, I’m off, talk later if anyone’s still around!

Falconer

Huh, that link goes to the strip “Beot” for me. ??

That “Throw the baby into the pit fight” strip was a lot funnier there than when Warren Ellis did it in Nextwave, for some reason.

Falconer

Night, all! Big day tomorrow, gotta get in my beauty sleep.

Amused

You know, with NWO going on and on like that about “animals in heat”, I’m starting to suspect he’s a closet furry.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

I KNEW IT! Hey David, is Misogyny one of those symbolic roles, like Batman? Because although you’re cool and all, I’d really love to ask Joseph Gordon Levitt about segregating the genders to either side of the Mississippi and his years on 3rd Rock from the Sun.

Also, does anyone know of any good Eoghan threads? I have no memory of that troll at all. Was his run in 2010-11?

mxe354

Hey Futrelle, got any drinks? Some Shirley Temples and red wine would be lovely. I need to drown myself in alcohol after reading NWOslave’s rape apologia and slut-shaming – he is beyond repulsive.

Jessay (@jessay)

Oh shit, it’s that time again where my dogs are dressing up un short skirts and putting on makeup to attract male dogs. GUYS THERE ARE NO MALE DOGS AROUND! STOP!

stillivefallen

Ugh he sounds like any other youtube/tumblr asshole I’ve bitched at quite a few times. I have to wonder if these people actually believe the shit their spewing or if they just want attention or both.

Bee
Bee

See, it’s shit like this that makes me kinda miss the little stinker:

Men have to work for sex. It’s in all the newspapers.

It’s IN THE PAPERS, guyz! Appeal to authority and all that! Brilliant!

But Eoghan … he was a ridiculous stupid fucking asshole. I’m a little surprised to see him kind of make sense in a way (sort of) here.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Tulgey – I just had a brief look at this post from 2010. Eoghan’s all over the place in the comments, but it’s all walls of text and not even amusingly strange, just the usual slimy shite of not-very-imaginative trolls, as far as I could see (which makes it all the more curious that he’s taking on Owly at the moment). Not sure if those posts were transferred from David’s previous blog, but they have no paragraph breaks and are hard to read.

Abnoy
Abnoy

This is what females do, they cause males to turn against each other!

titianblue
titianblue

Oooh, are the males fighting? Just let me grab some popcorn ….

thattotallymakessense

Since this will go to moderation, allow me to take the opportunity to say I think this is a great blog, both entertaining and informative. My first large scale exposure to misogyny was through atheism and skepticism. I listen to the podcast Rebecca Watson co-hosts and it turns out elevators are a thing, so through my following of those movements a whole bunch of MRAs exploded across my internets, by turns baffling and disgusting me. I’ve since been more active in understanding feminist issues. It’s rather depressing the number of subtle, pervasive issues within society, the extremes of which you highlight, but said extremes serve only to highlight the problem to most reasonable people which makes for a greater number of feminists (that’s my optimistic spin, anyway).

Anyway, re the post I’m actually commenting on, by NWO’s “logic” would not any man showing, say, arm muscle be displaying his strength, marking his dominance, thus responsible if another animal-man decides to maul the displayer in his face? Like a lion. Maybe he poops in the garden and buries it? Oh well, just instinct.

lauralot89

“If a man isn’t arouse no sexual activity can happen and reproduction cannot take place.”

“If an man isn’t arouse no sexual activity can happen”

“If a man isn’t arouse”

If a man isn’t arouse

IF A MAN ISN’T AROUSE

Oh NWO, please, please come back. If you would just put some effort into your stupidity here again, this sort of shit would guarantee you troll of the year.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

How does a man become a rouse? And what is a rouse? Inquiring minds want to know!

Motty
Motty

In response to Dave’s grand secret:

No, I’m Spartacus!

sidestinkappleeye

I am chilli con carne!

captainbathrobe

How fucked up do you have to be to have Eoghan seem reasonable by comparison?

hellkell
hellkell

Captain! Good to see you, hope all is well.

To answer your question, extremely fucked up.

Catfish
Catfish

I actually really, really hope that last part would be true, because that would mean that misogyny isn’t a real thing but just one guy trolling the world. If only it was possibul!

I find this “men and women are different” bs extremely frustrating. There is always more differences within these groups than between them. I can’t give any credibility to things that I’ve never seen in action. Or are my entire family, friend and other social cirlces just full of freaks? (Granted, I think I’m the only normal person I know – everyone else are complete weirdos. By my standards anyway.)

Also it’s funny how feminism seems to be the only movement that treats men as autonomous human beings and not brainless sex crazed barbarians. We give men so much more credit than that.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’m Brian and so is my husband!

Hey, captainbathrobe, nice to see you! 🙂

Catfish, couldn’t agree more. And even if the “men and women are different” bit were true, since when is “different” an excuse to treat people as lesser? These guys make me think of the part in A Wrinkle in Time where IT says they have perfect equality because everyone is exactly alike, and Margaret refutes it with “Like and equal are entirely different things.”

cherabushka

It really bothers me how rape apologists with no knowledge of psychology, evolutionary biology or anything whatsoever try and pinpoint the reason why we wear miniskirts or perfume or whatever to some weird biological essentialist notion of “being in heat” or trying to “attract a mate”. Without citing any sources that show evidence of a heat cycle in human females (most animals that go into heat cycles don’t menstruate, which women do) or evidence that a human “mating cycle” involves rape.

Indeed, just by going out and witnessing reality, not even spending five seconds with your nose in some stuffy bio text, you can see that sexually frustrated men often do not run back and forth raping like mad, and sexually frustrated women often don’t even bother putting on a miniskirt and high heels whenever they go out. They go home and masturbate, or hell — even talk to each other and try to impress each other in hopes of having sex. I think that’s a natural part of the human mating cycle. I could even compare it to courtship in the same vein of a peacock splaying his feathers or a dung beetle rolling a big ball of shit.

Furthermore, as a woman, when I go out in a miniskirt and high heels, I usually do it because I think I look good in that outfit, and maybe someone will come and talk to me because they think I am attractive, which is what most normal human beings do when they have sexual or romantic feelings for someone else, unless someone has taught them that it is acceptable to just jump in and assault women for making them have sexual feelings.

I wonder what this NWOslave loser does at the beach or at the local pool surrounded by dozens of women in bikinis and men in speedos. Does he just sit there and cry? I’m tempted to ask him. I hope he comes to troll the comments.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Cherabushka – Slavey’s pretty much given up here, I think, since he got put on permanent moderation. He hasn’t been around since the election (maybe he’s still crying over that, who knows?). He certainly freaks out at the idea of swimwear; I’ve never managed to find the thread, but longer-term members here recall him talking about little girls being like “pros” just because they’re in swimwear or capris or something. Truly creepy stuff.

Heheh “a dung beetle rolling a big ball of shit” pretty much describes the MRM, doesn’t it?

I wonder if it would make these clowns’ heads implode (or explode, I don’t mind which) to think that women can and often do dress with no reference to men at all? I mean, not only not asking, but not dressing with any men in mind. Not dressing to entice, or put off, or get any response from any man whatsoever. That there are women who don’t give a damn what some random man thinks about their clothes and dress to please themselves. I’m not only talking about all the women whose sexuality doesn’t include men, I’m talking about those who are heterosexual – partnered or not – who simply don’t give a hoot what dudes think.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“I hope he comes to troll the comments.”

You really really don’t. He pulls this shit out of his ass, not evo-psych books, and his thoughts on children in bath suits are absolutely disgusting. I understand why you’d want the chance to reply to him, but trust me, it just isn’t worth it. At best he’d ignore you, at worst he’d pick some stupid shit to bring up every time you commented about anything (for awhile he replied to all my comments by demanding proof that 1 in 4~5 women are raped, while butchering math and accusing all my sources of having a “liberal bias” — it wasn’t much fun).

There is a collection of his BS. All the trigger warnings on that, and no, this is not a version of an ALL THE THINGS joke…he really is that foul.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

One of his rants about minors — http://manboobz.com/2011/09/21/links-jezebel-on-reddits-jailbait-drama/comment-page-1/#comment-62348

You’ll want brain bleach for this page of comments — http://manboobz.com/2011/11/10/is-reddit-a-magnet-for-pedophiles/comment-page-3/

And for this whole mess — http://manboobz.com/2011/08/29/and-the-we-hunted-the-mammoth-award-goes-to/comment-page-1/#comments (that one has some Zarat to round out the stupidity)

Point here is that we, and everyone else, are better off without him.

Vetinarus
Vetinarus

I like that the ad for me on this page is the combat strategy game, because it means when I’m scrolling, I see this:

I am misogyny!

And I am really, really busy.

Which, for some reason, made it really funny.

sidestinkappleeye

So Pierre goes to the beach, and ends up sitting on a beach towell next to nwo, who proceeds to rant about the girls. Working it like pros. I don’t have the dialog, just the premise.