announcements kitties top troll TROOOLLLL!!

Merry Man Boobz Christmas and/or Happy Tuesday! (Also, nominate your favorite troll of 2012.)

tumblr_mfk0s4RqZX1qzl7x8o1_500

Merry Christmas, to everyone who celebrates it. To everyone else, Happy Tuesday!

After you’ve finished off your Christmas and/or Tuesday dinner, please nominate your favorite troll(s) for Man Boobz’ Second Annual Troll of the Year competition!

Also, there’s no reason why we can’t have more than one category for the troll awards. Suggest some inventive categories!  Most Persistent, perhaps?

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

To anyone here who can knit/crochet — alpaca is amazingly soft, I’ve been repairing the same pair of alpaca gloves for about 5 years now, they’re just that awesome. Pecunium I’d totally buy some of you if I could do anything with it >.<

Ithiliana
Ithiliana

*nominates Pecunium for archivist and reviewer of Troll Droppings*

Awesomesauce!

amandajane5
amandajane5

I think Steele Butthorn knocks it out of the park on this one (hey look! women are awarding you things!) and Mr. Slave won last year.

Mr. Al should win some sort of “most sockpuppets” and I think Ruby should get a “most oblivious” though the FeMRA should go to Ms. Sunshine or Suz.

pecunium

TS = Toysoldier. He’s been gone since before your time.

Pell… Pell’s iffy. Mostly because Pell’s MO is a bizarre one-trick pony. Come in, make outrageous claims; pretend to obviously false authority expertise; flail, scream, get banned.

It’s amusing, but not really all that ept.

It is, in it’s way, no better than a Nomless, or a talacris. At his best it’s amusing, but there isn’t even the saving grace of Eurosabra’s steady-state worldview. Whatever Pell thinks is going on, it’s all about Pell. A good troll manages to make it about the subject at hand; as a device to drive the conversation to what he want’s to talk about.

Pell doesn’t want to talk, he wants to browbeat. Since he’s pathetic; in both set-up, and execution, he’s never going to make it TO the Grapefruit League, much less breakout to play with the big-boys.

If he were more subtle, could take the time to do some research, establish a plausible cover story, and then exploit it, then he’d be a contender. But he doesn’t. I don’t think he’s managed to go a full-page before being sniffed out.

There is a case to made that his semi-regular attempts to storm the castle are worthy of some consideration because, of late, any apparent sock-puppet (or proto-Poe) is suspected of being Pell (viz. Mr. Al in his Josephine Persona; which because of it’s obvious falsity had people barking up the wrong tree; rather than noticing the differences in the backstory).

I’m not a great troll-sniffer (though I am a pretty good troll-whisperer… they tend to rise to the baits I put on the hook), but I’ve noticed Pell did make people a lot more suspicious.

pecunium

ithiliana: Shucks… It’s part of what made me a good interrogator/journalist, and makes me a decent salesperson/instructor.

I like people, and I remember them as individuals. It also helps that I

1: Take them at face value on initial appearance.
2: Engage them on their own terms.
3: Have a pretty good memory.
4: Have been dealing with this style/type of debate for close on 30 years.

pecunium

As regards Alpaca. It’s fun to spin, but I’ve been doing a more worsted yarn on the wheel, and it seems (from my recent readings) that alpaca isn’t as well suited to that. On the upside, spinning “woolen” takes less fiber, so one gets more yarn at a given grist (the technical term for the bulk of yarn; sort of).

On the downside, I need to practice doing woolen before I am willing to spin some of my really pretty alpaca.

I suppose I shall start tonight, as soon as I have the present number 3 skein of the worsted wool I have on the bobbins spun on, and plied off.

Some Gal Not Bored at All
Some Gal Not Bored at All

@pecunium

You deserve a round of applause. That was amazing and quite the nostalgia trip. (I’ve been lurking since Mr. Al was mostly welcome and, I think, since before his first meltdown. I was silently rooting for that kid back in the day. What a waste.)

pecunium

It’s also stronger than Wool, though it’s not as good for warm when wet (though it’s not bad; it’s just not as good as wool’s 60 percent heat retention… cotton has negative heat retention when wet).

I have some alpaca top with tussah to spin too. I think I’ll aim for a sockweight, and then cable it.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Pell would get the Most Entertaining Meltdowns or at least recognition for letting people do accurate countdowns to meltdowns. I missed most of his stuff but was here for a couple of his sockpuppet efforts that rapidly went from “who’s this strange troll” to “hi Pell” and him going into frothing rage. They were fun.

I was looking at an old thread with TS in it and he was just being one-note boring. Granted the subject was a real one (his own abuse) but his repetition that feminists aren’t interested in male victims of priests was just nonsensical and “la la la I can’t hear you” dreary.

I reckon Steele is Troll of the Year, if only because he’s the only long-term one around, or was until he got sent to the corner. Otis got banned fairly quickly and only tried socking once, I think. Tom Martin certainly gets Most Disgusting (or should that be Vyle?).

There needs to be an award for Best At Just Toeing The Line, though none of the truly memorable ones has managed it. They all tip over into totally unacceptable territory sooner or later.

Dumbass the Yapper is just too mediocre and boring to be worth any recognition, he’s just a time-waster who fancies he’s one of the community.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“TS = Toysoldier. He’s been gone since before your time.” — ah yes, I had the “pleasure” of stumbling onto his blog before I came here, and had to seriously reconcile “always believe the victim” and “I hate assholes”

For actual Troll Of The Year — Pell, or Steele. Every sock seems like Pell now, but 10 pages on the definition of misandry! Long rants about how he wasn’t sock puppeting when he totally was! Anti-manboobz!!

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Re: alpaca — yeah it isn’t quite as heat retentive when wet, but you know what? I try not to get my gloves dripping wet, it’s just not fun to have wet hands. And I find wool to be itchy, but absolutely adore though gloves (to the point mine are slowly being converted to embroidery thread as I repair them!)

I must warn y’all though — they’re apparently Very Yummy to puppies, which is what started the need for repair (pecunium, if you ever see these gloves, you’ll probably fall over laughing at them, but I love my Frankenstein gloves!)

Some Gal Not Bored at All
Some Gal Not Bored at All

Since I have now had two comments supporting Diogenes for some award eaten, I am going to conclude that the universe agrees with this:

cloudiah

I am not a night owl, but I stayed up until almost 2 am yesterday (i.e. this morning) talking to an old friend who came to our xmas dinner. I am wiped out! He is the divorced father of two teenagers, and is definitely slightly bitter about the divorce but being decent human beings he and his ex-wife have decided that the welfare of his kids is more important and have worked out custody, etc. like adults. It’s really nice to remember that MOST ADULTS ARE LIKE THAT, AND NOT LIKE MRAs. I also got to spend time with a sweet rescue dog who has a problem with her legs that causes her to hop like a bunny.

Also, I hope everyone enjoyed and/or survived the holidays.

On to the important troll nominations:
I love the idea of having a feMRA troll category, and think they’ve already been named.
In fact, I think everyone has already been named. Most odious character has to be a tossup between Tom Martin and Otis the Racist. Most boring is Some Guy… Most persistent is either Mr. Al (sad…) or Pell. Pell was in the running for troll of the year for me, but his initial blaze of glory has been so tarnished by his subsequent pathetic entries. I think I’m going to have to go with Steele: the socking, the “hey, I’m semi-successful, and my girlfriend is semi-attractive” schtick, the blog, the terrible grammar and language usage. I don’t even care if he’s a Poe. I’m not sure what category to put The First Joe in. He has inspired some hilarity, and coined some good phrases (“got-born privilege” has already been mentioned, right?) Honorable mention? Runner up?

MY COFFEE IS READY. MUST RUN GET COFFEE AND INGEST CAFFEINE IN MASS QUANTITIES.

McKenzie
McKenzie

I’m going to go ahead and say Steele was the best troll. He always tried his hardest, but our misandry kept him down. It’s high time we recognised his achievements.

cloudiah

I have my coffee in a big mug so I’m less frantic now and will settle down to actually read the whole thread, in which I have undoubtedly been ninjaed many times over.

I don’t know if anyone has shared this already, so my apologies if it’s a duplicate, but Kavita Krishnan’s statement on the status of women in India and the right to live in freedom is really powerful:

This most recent incident is of course the most obvious contradiction — it did not occur late at night, the girl was, in fact, with a male friend — but that is not my argument. I believe even if women walk out on the streets alone, even if it is late at night, why should justifications need to be provided for this, like ‘she has to work late hours’ or ‘she was coming home from a BPO job or a media job’? If she simply wants to go out at night, if she wants to go out and buy a cigarette or go for a walk on the road — is this a crime for women? We do not want to hear this defensive argument that women only leave their homes for work, poor things, what can they do, they are compelled to go out. We believe that regardless of whether she is indoors or outside, whether it is day or night, for whatever reason, however, she may be dressed — women have a right to freedom. And that freedom without fear is what we need to protect, to guard and respect.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

My evaluations:

Steele for Most Persistent
Pell for Most Entertaining
Sticky for Most Tiresome

But in the all around Most Trolly category, Tom “Whoriarchy” Martin, hands down. Because seriously, wtf dude, wtf.

howardbann1ster

Talacris:

…but it is doubtful you’ll ever get or understand trolling.

This is one thing all the trolls here seem to have in common.

“You don’t understand me. It must be because you’re stupid!”

Yeah, that’s totally it.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

No-one ever gets my brand of trolling… 🙁

Talacris, you’re one of those people who no one even remembers exists except when we’re actually talking to you. You’re like The Silence.

cloudiah

Maybe we should have a category for Most Forgettable Troll; talacaris could be in the running for that one, since I didn’t even recognize the nym.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

@cloudiah

Who?

cloudiah

Exactly! XD

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“I’m not sure what category to put The First Joe in. He has inspired some hilarity, and coined some good phrases (“got-born privilege” has already been mentioned, right?) Honorable mention? Runner up?”

I completely forgot that time Joe went ranting about how non-binary people support nazism because some founding school of feminism was nazi based and feminism is behind the trans* // cis terminology and idfk because I ended up needing an anti-oppression baby animal.

Joe has had some epic trains of “thought” in other words, and managed to be both offensice and persistent.

katz — *dies* they’re way too much of a big baddie to be gone, they’ll be back (or maybe they already are and The Doctor keeps forgetting it?!) *sonic’s the thread* …yes, I got a sonic for Christmas, and yes, I am pointing it at ALL THE THINGS

hellkell

I liked the time Joe went off on me for not recognizing humor or satire when it was his own fail that was rather epic. That may have been his International Men’s Day shitfit, they all start to bleed together after a while.

timetravellingfool

Second Ruby’s nomination for the shut up award

LBT
LBT

I was going to say, ‘talacris? who the hell are you?’

I mean, you’re up against TOM MARTIN, pal. (Who, admittedly, is no NWO, but alas, we seem to be leaving the Golden Age of trolls.)

Personally, I think this fight would best be determined by troll mud wrestling. Or extreme pillow-fighting.

The art of judging trolls against each other is, of course, whine tasting.

Good one, Katz.

Amused

@Cloudiah: That quote, a thousand times. One of the most irritating things to me in any discussion of rape is how even feminists often fall into the trap of trying to come up with a justification why the woman was where the rapist was. And not just a token justification but an exceedingly persuasive one. Like, if the woman was out at night, it’s not enough that she was going to or from work, she has to be shown that she really needed the job, or something.

talacaris
talacaris

Something is strange with most peoples sense of what consists good trolling? F.ex Martin hard chair &c) or Mellertoad good trolling???Nah it is mostly disgusting. Contrast with D.s claim to be able to solve the Voynich manuscript in half an hour. That’s fun trolling!

LBT
LBT

Talacris, are you… trolling about trolling? If so, sorry, but the Metatroll Award is not up for grabs this year.

Karalora
Karalora

@Amused
I think it’s because we go in responding directly to the exact arguments we’re given–which in the case of rape are often something like “If women don’t want to be raped, they should take precautions to avoid being targeted.”

Quick question: Do Canadians call 911 or do they have a different number?

Sgt Grumbles
Sgt Grumbles

I nominate Tom, Bert, and William for best trolls of the year.

talacaris
talacaris

What I especially liked in my trolling was the Declaration of Intent to Troll, the fundraising for the Cure of cooties infection and mangina, some silly shit about a weird interpretation of a Solanas quote, and some weird shit about contempt of court.

What I do not like was the willful misinterpretation of TKUH, that was over the line, so I’m sorry for that.

hellkell

Quiet now, the grown-ups are talking.

Shadow
Shadow

No-one ever gets my brand of trolling… 🙁

I nominate CWS for Greatest Reveal

@katz

We call 911

pecunium

poor talacris: He thinks we can’t understand the motives of trolls. The problem, of course, is we do. We also understand they vary (hence my use of the local definition in my recap).

Some want to stir the pot, purely to revel in the fights they cause. Some want to be the center of attention. Some want to “Preach Truth to Power!”, in some misguided sense that 1: they have the truth, and 2: the audience they are boring with their second-rate attempts to be Jack Chick has “POWER!!!!!”. Some have a hobby horse they can’t avoid riding.

Some just want to yell at the objects of their ire/scorn. Some have a political agenda. Others are trying to count coup, so they can retire to the regions of the internet they normally inhabit, and boast of how they bearded the dragon in its den and emerged to tell the tale.

In short, trolls are people like all others, they just happen to have a hobby of going places where others are having a good time and trying, in various ways, to piss in the punch.

And we understand that.

inurashii
inurashii

is nobody gonna mention Skyrimjob? I thought he had the most artful community-to-troll-to-meltdown transition.

talacaris
talacaris

“Talacaris, if you have to point out all the things you liked about your trolling, you fail as a troll. ”

No way, this type of selw-awareness and appraisal is one of the finest qualities in the Ancient and Noble Art.

hellkell

Talacaris: Haha, if any of you nuggets had any self-awareness, all you’d be writing would be apologies for the rest of your life.

talacaris
talacaris

Pecs: No way trolling is putting forth silly and stupid argumentz for the lolz. If you believe in or are invested in what you are writing, you cannot be a troll.

cloudiah

I hear nothing but wind whistling after hellkell’s 3:46 comment…

Katz, I believe that Canadians also call 911.

hellkell

cloudiah: you heard that too? Must be nothing.

pecunium

talacris: Ancient and Noble Art

Are you talking about The Sweet Science?

That might merit some, small, merit for wit. But if you are seriously trying to campaign for the title you problems are legion, the road long, and the hurdles many.

You were/are inept. Intermittent throwawaysl; after a self-declared status as a dishonest actor is pathetic; it’s like drinking Coor’s, or Coor’s Light. If you are going to self-declare as a troll you have to step up to the plate. It takes dedication, and drive, to keep people interested, and doubly so when we know you are in it for malicious lulz.

That’s why Tom Martin, Steele, even NWO and Bob are doing better than you in the jury’s estimation. You failed to live up to the hype; and you are the one who did the hyping.

hellkell

Oh, SNAP. Being called the Coor’s Light of trolls is not good. Funny, though.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

it’s like drinking Coor’s, or Coor’s Light.

O.o Damn pecunium, don’t hold back now, tell us what you really think.

talacaris
talacaris

” Intermittent throwawaysl; after a self-declared status as a dishonest actor is pathetic; it’s like drinking Coor’s, or Coor’s Light”
I dont understand this. Please explain.

Historophilia
Historophilia

Can I fling a slight de-rail in here?

Sorry for the randomness but I’d like to run an idea for a blog that I have past you guys, what with you all being such intelligent, rational and generally splendid human beings 😛

It’s an idea I’ve been toying with for a little while and the premise is that I’ll research and write a short profile on a really interesting and awesome person from history and do maybe one of those a week.

I’d have a definite slant towards awesome women from history but I’ll do both men and women and be mainly doing people that you tend not to learn about at school.

I’m not sure what I’d call it, I’ve thought of something like “I Wish I had Met…” but I’m open to suggestions!

What do people think? Would you read something like that?

Also how about some suggestions for awesome people from history that most people wouldn’t know about? I’ve got a few I’d do so far:

Empress Theodora (wife of Justinian I of Byzantium)
Tadamichi Kuribayashi (commander of the Japanese garrison at Iwo Jima)
Margaret Beaufort
Sir Seretse Khama

cloudiah

Historophilia, I would read the hell out of that blog. I could probably think of some suggestions, too, but more in the USian history realm.