music off topic YouTube

Clearing my head of MRAs, with Friends!

FriendsManifestGreenscreen

Ok, so I didn’t do a real post today. I’ve sort of been working on my own little best albums of 2012 list, because I am an indredible dork, and I thought I’d share some videos from a band that’s definitely going to be up near the top of it. The band is Friends, and their album is Manifest! (with an exclamation mark). They remind me a bit of YACHT and maybe Santigold mixed with some old school punk-funk along the lines of ESG and the Bush Tetras.

Here’s their sparkliest video, with some funny lyrics:

This one seems to be a poly anthem of sorts:

And this one is one big genderfuck:

Oh, and while I’m at it, here’s a video from YACHT. Be careful: this video might just move you.

And one from the Bush Tetras: creep shaming put to music!

Rahu
Rahu

cool songs!

Rahu
Rahu

and OT, waaaaaaay OT, but I’ve been reading old posts and found that a site Meller linked to has, um, been taken over by a funny squatter. Apologies if you already knew about it, but, well, it’s funny! 🙂 http://www.fascinatingwomanhood.com/

hellkell
hellkell

Nice! I like Friends. Some people at work still do best of music lists for the year, but they’ve devolved into hipper-than-thou clusterfucks. Occupational hazzard with a bunch of music nerds, I suppose.

Lately I’ve been on a kick of stuff that’s been around forever that I never paid much attention to, like Hawkwind and The Fall.

Sgt Grumbles
Sgt Grumbles

This would be a contender for top album of 2012, but I’m not sure it qualifies, being a cover album:

lowquacks
lowquacks

Chairlift’s Something, Action Bronson’s The Alchemist, or anything with Clams Casino or MTV Riff Raff involved for me, but I’ll probably change my mind in about an hour or so. Maybe that odd Morbid Angel remix project? Or the Fiona Apple thing with far too long a title (again)? Good year, good year.

It’s been a good year for hip-hop, a good year for New York, and an especially good year for New York hip-hop.

lowquacks
lowquacks

I DO SWEAR THAT IS ENTIRELY A COINCIDENCE THAT I’VE ONLY LISTED WHITE HIP-HOP ARTISTS

Argenti Aertheri

My top choice for 2012 is entirely predictable — Emilie Autumn’s Fight Like a Girl (because “you fight like a girl!” really shouldn’t be an insult 🙂 )

princessbonbon

I try to hide from new music. But I did like this little catchy tune:

Ben
Ben

Yacht is not the first band to make that ‘tapeheads’ reference. The first time I heard it was on a spring heeled jack album, but this is the first time I’ve seen someone do the whole video.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnTUSgHzZx0&w=420&h=315%5D

Dee

Hello Manboobz. I don’t have an avatar. I haven’t spent months posting cat videos so I sort of expect to be glossed over in favor of other regulars that you come here to chat with.

Is there any part of the MRA you agree with?

howardbann1ster

Hi, Dee.

Are women people?

hellkell
hellkell

Dee: are you just going to go from thread to thread asking a question you already got an answer to?

Argenti Aertheri

“Is there any part of the MRA you agree with?”

Well, I was going to say that we all agree that cats are cute, but you apparently disagree. So um, male circumcision shouldn’t be the standard?

Try making an actual point, one that we can go “yeah I agree with that” or “no, I disagree because…”

Continuing to ask the same thing gets old fast.

Dee

Howard: Yes! I have read some sick shit that makes me sad.

Hellkell: Like I said, I’m very uncomfortable talking to you regulars. I’m sorry I interrupted you and I won’t ask again…? Sorry noobishly interrupting your witty thread banter

* sorry for noobishly

….best correction ever.

howardbann1ster

Wait, wait, let me find common ground with the MRAs! It’ll be great! Once I accept that they’re people who hold a wide variety of views, actual people, we’ll all be able to start working through the big problems together!

Let’s see. Firstly, they hate me. They call me a mangina. A traitor to my gender. For daring to say women shouldn’t be raped, beaten, and killed.

Um.

Wait, are you sure I’m EVER going to be able to find common ground with people who hate me?

And why is it on me to find this common ground?

Shouldn’t they have to walk back that ‘mangina’ bit first?

Also, as Argenti pointed out… they won’t even admit to pieces of common reality like ‘cat’s are cute.’ So what the hell else is there for us to agree with them on?

Argenti Aertheri

Back on topic! I’m rewatching the original Wicker Man (so much better than the Cage one!)

I tracked down something resembling the score for those, should anyone want it. The range for Corn Rigs is violin open A string to A on the E string, and for Gently Johnny it’s open D string to D on the A string (strangely coincidental that…)

Not exactly 2012 music though! XD

Dee

Argenti Aertheri: “Is there any part of the MRA you agree with?”

Well, I was going to say that we all agree that cats are cute, but you apparently disagree. ”

lol ^_^ I’m so stupid. “Continuing to ask the same thing gets old fast.” Sorry for posting a question twice when I felt ignored the first time, I’m a shitball who obviously hasn’t thought things through.

hellkell
hellkell

Dee, give me a break with your bullshit. You’re just JAQing off.

Argenti Aertheri

Whoops, that second one is probably NSFW, there’s off screen sex at the end.

Argenti Aertheri

Dee — try the other line of my previous comment —

“Try making an actual point, one that we can go ‘yeah I agree with that’ or ‘no, I disagree because…'”

Because Howard’s right, what common ground can there possibly be with people who hate me simply for existing?

Dee

I feel weird. I read this site and agreed with the posts. But I’m an instant parriah because I wonder if there is any validity to pieces of the MRA movement. Sorry, here you go. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cats

SaltPickles
SaltPickles

Well Dee, I’ve only been a lurker up to this point, but there’s several things people generally agree with here that you think MRA’s would be in favour of – like male rape in prisons is horrific and should be stopped, that men should be able to participate in fatherhood fully and equally by having access to things like parental leave, that men shouldn’t be bound into restrictive traditional gender roles… you know, things that leave men freer and more fullfilled. Things that I thought people who called themselves Mens Rights Activists would care about and campaign for.

But then I saw actual MRA websites and found out that they don’t actually seem to care about improving men’s lives, just whining about women, and for activists they seem to do precious little campaigning.

howardbann1ster

Pariah, Dee?

We’ve been exploring every nook and cranny of the MRA mindset for a while now, and we’re pretty comfortable saying THERE ISN’T REALLY ANYTHING WORTH SAVING THERE.

Or, if there is, say, male circumcision, it’s in an area where they’re johnny-come-latelies.

Their entire mindset is about entrenching privilege. It’s hard to see any validity in any pieces of that.

Argenti,

I shouldn’t ask an open question unless it can be answered in yes or no format? yeaaaaahhhh we will never get along.

howardbann1ster

Except you’ve got your answer–you just don’t like it. What about the answer makes you uncomfortable?

Dee

Pariah! That was the word I was looking for.

Anyway thanks Howard for telling me you are an expert in the field of MRA, there is nothing left to explore, I should feel bad and go home. Great dialogue.

howardbann1ster

Hm… So I answered your question, taking the time to explore nuances, but you won’t answer my question?

Seems rude of you.

hellkell
hellkell

Dee, you asked your question, you got answers. It’s not on us if you felt ignored, didn’t like the answers, or didn’t read the answers.

And please stop with the “oh, I’m so dumb, what do I know?” schtick. If I wanted to hear that, I would get a Ouija board and contact my grandfather.

Argenti Aertheri

*sigh* You should at least posit an MRA view to discuss instead of asking such a hugely open ended question. I mean, I hope we can all agree that the sky is blue, except when it’s black, or purple, or red, or yellow, or some other shade of dawn/dusk. Easier one, we should all be able to agree that snow is supposed to be white, and all other colors are bad.

Outside those basic things, I really doubt there’s much we could agree on — the MRM is based on the idea that women oppress men (at best). Far more often they think anything non-“traditional” is evil, athough they twist the meaning of traditional. These guys all too often say they should simply be able to opt out of child support, because women (and other uterus havers) can get an abortion.

Good luck getting them to acknowledge that non-binary people exist! Or to acknowledge that many of their issues are based in racism, not sexism (more men than women in prison? How about the ratio of MoC in prison compared to white men?)

Back on topic (sorta) — “HE BROUGHT YOU UP TO BE A PAGAN!!” — gods I love this movie, might have to take a break from it to play the aforementioned songs.

Argenti Aertheri

“You’re not here for dialog, you’re to be a disingenuous twerp. Soon you’ll level up to exquisite dipshit, I can feel it.”

Idk if we can have two disingenuous naif’s at once, the world might implode.

Sgt Grumbles
Sgt Grumbles

Here’s another good one from 2012:

To review the All About Dee Show —

The original question.

Cloudiah’s reply.

Hellkell’s reply.

My reply.

Kittehs’s reply.

The only answer not given thus far (which will never be given) would be “yes, we agree with everything they say” — and that’s never fucking happening because we’re never going to agree that things like “the less English they speak, the better” are acceptable views. Or “To be non-inclusive would there not have to be active exclusion?” — no, you’re wrong and you should feel bad.

Dee

I will definitely never ask regular posters on this site another open-opened question again, I was wrong, thanks and sorry!

Sgt Grumbles
Sgt Grumbles
timetravellingfool

Well Dee, you sound a bit trolly. Even if you aren’t a troll, you sure seem rude. You don’t just walk into a new group of people, ask them some mildly controversial questions and insult their hobbies and then expect them to welcome you. Now if you wanted to step back, chill out, and converse like you would in any other social setting (politely, getting to know people, finding common ground, etc. then I’m sure you could manage a successful do-over. I mean, you did take the time to stop by, so clearly you feel you have something to gain.

howardbann1ster

Still no answer to any questions posed, after recieving many answers.

That’s totally rude.

timetravellingfool

Oh, and to answer your original questions- there are mens issues the MRA claims to be interested in that I am interested in, but their model of oppression has got to be the worst for addressing those issues. Of course it’s the worst, their model of oppression isn’t designed to address these issues, it’s designed to obfuscate the nature of oppression and maintain male privilege.

timetravellingfool

@ Howard- The sense of entitlement is strong in this one. Weaksauce.

This is a particularly amusing thing to say in a thread about people’s favorite music from this year.

carnation
carnation

@Timetravellingfool

The MRM has done and does literally nothing for men. It gives an exceptionally limited voice to some who feel voiceless, but its nothing more than a glorified blog, some trolls and a few hardy souls who put some posters up.

I honestly don’t think that most MRAs believe half the nonsense that they say, they aren’t intelligent, but could anyone actually be that stupid? Tom Martin has got to be a troll. The Spearhead is like reading a stream of consciousness from a 1950s reactionary dragged into 2012.

AVfM are announcing imminent victory again. They did it the year before too. Also claiming 2012 was a good year for them. From the outside looking at them, it cold hardly have been worse. Do they believe what they write?

hellkell
hellkell

Carnation: I absolutely believe the dolts at AVfM believe what they write.

Argenti Aertheri

“Tom Martin has got to be a troll.”

This comes up periodically, and the answer remains the same — he’s awfully dedicated to his trolling if he’s a troll, he’s been doing this for years.

And 2012 was a good year for them in some regards, a whole bunch of (really stupid) politicians and a judge said that rape requires force, abortion should only be allowed if it was rape, maybe not even then, maybe only if the woman’s (or other uterus haver’s) life is in danger, maybe not even then, and hey, let’s bring up birth control like this is totally controversial.

Granted, they had nothing to do with those things, but those things are on their asinine agenda.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I missed Disingenuous Dee and the Dumbass Doubledown.

Here’s some 2:54.

I just took this cake (an eggless version of it) out of the oven, and now I’m sauteing mushrooms for a savory strudel that I”m making tomorrow. My kitchen smells really good.

Sgt Grumbles
Sgt Grumbles

That was pretty good. I was thinking all that fog in the video would be a promising sign.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Durn. The only album I listened to from this year was Wrecking Ball. And if Mr Springsteen hadn’t put one out, there wouldn’t have been any! 🙂

Kim
Kim

@Dee
Yeah,passive aggressive bullshit is definitely the best way to make friends and have conversations. Good work!

(Not really. What you’re doing is as obvious as a neon sign. Do you really think you’re being clever or sneaky with your persecution complex?)

Kitteh, I’m in the same boat. I was all going “I really liked Cinemetropolis…wait, that was 2011. I really liked The Archandroid…wait, that was 2010.”

(Janelle Monae dances like nobody’s business.)